Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AFTER THE BALL  (Read 18780 times)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
Re:AFTER THE BALL
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 05:49:16 AM »

Thank you so much for all dear readers who gave me wellcome back messages. Always warm and sweet here at HHW. :)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2005, 05:53:31 AM »

Dear BK, hope your NY stay will be much fruitful and successful and enjoyable.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2005, 05:54:36 AM »

Shall I dance for page 2?

td

• td
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 05:55:38 AM »

I'm not too sports-minded, but, I enjoy hockey and wrestling.  Not the kind of wrestling which is on the WFO or whatever it's called, but, the good old-fashioned kind down on the mats.
I played junior high basketball, but I do share Mr. Woody Allen's opinion of the sport.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 06:02:12 AM »

I love Ice Skating, too. I’m fascinated with Ice Dance these days, though I wonder if it’s a sort of sports. And sometime watch Synchronized Swimming (if it can be counted among sports) and like a French performer (I can’t recall her name) who is called  Mermaid, as not only she performes marvelously, but she does through without nose-clips.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2005, 06:10:46 AM »

I enjoy watching diving and gymnastics...games like football and basketball get me all confused as there are too many things to be watching and I don't know all the rules.

DRMBarnum, are you saying there are too many balls in the air?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2005, 06:23:05 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm still treading cautiously.  I may  head down to Rodgers & Hammerstein to finish off the vestiges of SHOWBOAT I abandoned a week ago, and I'd like to stop by the recording session for several reasons:
  1.  I'd live to see Vinnie, whom I've not seen in around 6 years
  2.  Half of the recording cast are WHERE'S CHARLEY? alumni, and it would be fun to see them all
  3.  I haven't got to spend much time with my dear friend BK, although he'll be more involved with recording than socializing

I'm still treading cautiously; the surgery was a week ago today, but it seems a lifetime ago, and I'm treading cautiously this week after my bravura performance of last week.

Today's topic:
  Baseball and basketball, I love to watch live; I don't give a damn for them on television, and I will never never understand the popularity of that horrific reason to sit out in the cold and watch events happen too far away to comprehend that they call football.
  Swimming
  Gymnastics for men; I find the gymnastics rules for women with all that moronic posing and prancing around a total waste of time, neither good choreography nor good sense
  Ice skating, couples or single, for its amazing precision and grace
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2005, 06:31:47 AM »

I seem to be in the majority of Hainsies as far as sports go.  Gymnastics, diving, ice skating-- things that combine grace, style and incredible physical skill.

I do like baseball too.  I can actually understand the game and figure out what's going on.  And unlike basketball and football, baseball  also has a lot of cute players (which, of course, never hurts).

Good luck with the recording!

Ditto.  And occasionally hockey.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2005, 06:38:58 AM »

I had an inquiry for all the DRs this morning:  yesterday I tried to add two CDs to my eMac's iTune library, and both CDs were rejected by the computer.  I tried restarting the computer but both CDs were still unacceptable to import.  Can this be new copyright protection that I missed?  Given that I'm almost 100% a computer idiot, I have no idea how to proceed.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2005, 06:39:26 AM »

I usually like whatever sport is in season, although I rarely watch regular season baseball or basketball games.
The Pirates are my baseball team.
Colts in football.
Pacers in basketball.
I'm trying to get Elmore excited about Miami University (Ohio) football!

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2005, 06:51:17 AM »

DR Rodzinski - Is there something exciting about Miami football that I should be aware of?  We live only about 25 miles east of there.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2005, 07:02:12 AM »

Well, I came from a family of sports fanatics. My dad had both baseball and football scholarships in college and was the club champion golfer for 14 years, my mother played basketball and ran track in college and coached women's basketball in high school when she became a teacher (though she taught algebra). My brother played basketball in high school and was a champion golfer (beat my father for one of his championships) and had a golf scholarship to college.

So, you can imagine how weird it was for this alien (read me) to drop in their midst who loathed sports and was totally into the arts. My dad MADE me participate in my town's swimming team (and I loved swimming so that helped), but I could never summon up much interest to participate in sports.

However, I was dragged to every Clemson football and basketball game there was, went to a lot of the tournaments once my dad retired from work and started playing golf on the senior circuit, and was taken to a more than average number of college and pro basketball, football, and baseball games.

That said, if I'm just watching sports, I'd rather it be figure skating, tennis, or gymnastics.

I've also discussed here before the enormous respect I have for men who box for a living. There is no more brutal way to earn a living, and though I can't watch much of it for long periods because of its brutality, the skill and physical acumen that these men must possess to do what they do is rather staggering.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2005, 07:06:31 AM »

DR Elmore, please be careful in venturing out. I know in my case when I've been cooped up for a long period of time, I literally itch to get out and about. I'm sure I don't have to lecture you about moderation. You seem to already be aware of limits you need to set for yourself.

I had my semiannual dental check-up and cleaning this morning. Glad that's over with and no problems were discovered.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2005, 07:08:59 AM »

Have a few things to finish up on-line this morning, and then it's off to the den to watch some of the stored up shows on the DVR. With more to come tonight, I have GOT to clear off some space today!

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2005, 07:10:53 AM »

I had an inquiry for all the DRs this morning:  yesterday I tried to add two CDs to my eMac's iTune library, and both CDs were rejected by the computer.  I tried restarting the computer but both CDs were still unacceptable to import.  Can this be new copyright protection that I missed?  Given that I'm almost 100% a computer idiot, I have no idea how to proceed.

DR elmore - I also use iTunes on an eMac.  I'm not an expert, but have one suggestion.  Have you updated the software?  Click on the Apple in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and scroll down to Software Update.  Maybe there's a new version of iTunes that you need to install on your computer.  After an update is complete, you usually need to restart.

Take care of yourself and don't over-do it!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 07:12:06 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2005, 07:11:45 AM »

I usually like whatever sport is in season, although I rarely watch regular season baseball or basketball games.
The Pirates are my baseball team.
Colts in football.
Pacers in basketball.

It will never happen!  FOOTBALL IS A STUPID GAME!!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2005, 07:21:01 AM »

DR JRand54, a box of DVD entertainment is flinging it's way to the mid-west as I type this! Enjoy!

DR Rodzinski, some motion picture arts will be heading your way as well, just as soon as instructions are received by me via e-mail.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2005, 07:24:17 AM »

Well, since Miami is elmore's alma mater, and they are a rival of Bowling Green, my grad school, I'm hoping to start a real rivalry between elmore and myself, if I can only get him to cooperate.

Actually, I love underdogs and root for all the smaller schools in the shadow of the Big 10: Miami, BG, Toledo, Ohio U., Akron, Western Michigan, Ball State, etc.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2005, 07:35:06 AM »

I'm not too sports-minded, but, I enjoy hockey and wrestling.  Not the kind of wrestling which is on the WFO or whatever it's called, but, the good old-fashioned kind down on the mats.
I played junior high basketball, but I do share Mr. Woody Allen's opinion of the sport.

Now td.  How do you know you would not like the kind of wrestling which is on the WFO?

WFO
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2005, 07:40:37 AM »

BK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~   BESTEST RECORDING SESSION VIBES ~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See ya after the ball.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2005, 07:43:17 AM »

DR Elmore, are these CDs DualDiscs?  Last week I bought the new Dave Matthews Band CD which was in this new format--a CD on one side and a DVD on the other.  My DVD player/recorder drive in my desktop machine at work refused to recognize the CD side.  I had to rip it on my laptop and copy the files to my desktop so that I could finally import into iTunes and my iPod.    Very frustrating.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2005, 07:47:09 AM »

Woody Allen's opinion

"What is so fascinating about sitting around watching a bunch of pituitary cases stuff a ball through a hoop?  ~Woody Allen, Annie Hall"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2005, 08:16:17 AM »

Ice Skating - The Singles are good, but I always prefer the couples.  Just seem to be more going on in their routines lately.  The women just seem to do a lot of "coasting" lately.  Yes, I know there are a lot of Michelle Kwan fans on here, but sometimes grace and beauty just isn't enough.  I wanna see jumps and spins!

There are a few couples who excite the imagination...primarily a Chinese pair and a Russian pair, both of whom swap off winning world titles.

In Ice Dancing, there was a French couple who were dazzling.

But the rest of them look the same to me...same moves over and over and over and over..uninspired and insipid.

As for Michelle Kwan -- she's the Sondheim of female figure skaters.  Don't look for the flash and trash from her.  She's quality every step of the way.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2005, 08:20:29 AM »

Woody Allen's opinion

"What is so fascinating about sitting around watching a bunch of pituitary cases stuff a ball through a hoop?  ~Woody Allen, Annie Hall"

I'm pretty sure that Allen is a big Knicks fan, though.  They show him occaisionally during broadcasted games.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2005, 08:21:17 AM »

I've been reading the past week's threads and found some comments about TV show discussions.

Even after all time zones have had airings of a show, it seems some Dear Readers are a bit "taken aback" (?) when others discuss the shows because they haven't "yet" watched them.

My question:  How long should we cite "spoilers" after an air date?

Also, DR Jennifer commented yesterday that she found the "Desperate Housewives" finale a bit boring because others had predicted how things would turn out.  I didn't read it as a complaint, but simply as a statement that the finale wasn't as exciting as it "might" have been had good guesses not been made.

That said, there was a May 18th post from DR Jennifer asking everyone who they thought the person would be who gets killed.  So...it might be prudent to avoid asking questions you don't want good answers to.  

I think folks here have a very good idea of what topics are going to be hot and which are not.  

So, I'm just wondering....

« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 09:27:17 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2005, 08:28:17 AM »

Well, as I always say:

If you're gonna bump it,
Bump it with a STRUMPET!
Sounds like a sample lyric from The Life!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2005, 08:28:19 AM »

OH!

DR vixmom - It's best to let the penuche/penoche/panache cool on the counter at room temperature.  Cool it too quickly in the fridge and it could become grainy.

THANK YOU!!!!!! :D :D :D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ben

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2005, 08:28:47 AM »

Yes, DtM, I found many hits relating to Allen's fondness for basketball, including a reference to a dream come true (or something to that effect) which would let him play with a certain group of players (I have no idea who those players would be).

Ben

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2005, 08:31:50 AM »

Mr. Phil Spector's legal problems seem to be having a "hair-raising" effect on him.

Ben

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2005, 08:32:36 AM »

P.S. I did nothing to that photo. It was on a Yahoo news site!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up