Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AFTER THE BALL  (Read 18765 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:AFTER THE BALL
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2005, 08:34:53 AM »

OH!

DR vixmom - It's best to let the penuche/penoche/panache cool on the counter at room temperature.  Cool it too quickly in the fridge and it could become grainy.
Absolutely.  The texture should be smooth and creamy.

And this was a candy that was made long before refrigeration.

As for blaming us for your getting fat, just think of how disgusting those anorexics look on almost every grocery tabloid these days.  We'd be a happier world if more people would be happy with their weight, rather than being determined to be happy with less.

!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2005, 08:36:46 AM »

For a page three dance, let's

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Follow the Bouncing Ball!!![/size][/move]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 08:41:08 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2005, 08:38:40 AM »

Now td.  How do you know you would not like the kind of wrestling which is on the WFO?

WFO

Just as long as YOU like 'em!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2005, 08:48:42 AM »

...the recipe is in a box in my mother's basement at the moment.
There's something deliciously morbid with this phrase...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2005, 09:01:29 AM »

Good Morning!

First bit of good news:

I've been asked by the conductor to play all of next week's shows of Mamma Mia! here in D.C.  The Music Supervisor, David Holcenberg, will be coming in to town, and the conductor wants his "regulars" in the pit.

So much for "walking".  ;)

But, as I've said before, I'd rather play than not.  And, heck, having to go to the theatre keeps me off-line for a couple of hours each day.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2005, 09:02:09 AM »

Mr. Phil Spector's legal problems seem to be having a "hair-raising" effect on him.
Maybe he's gone Nashville, with big hair!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2005, 09:07:14 AM »

Second bit of good news... well GREAT News...

And I actually found this out right before heading to bed last night...

I noticed my father was still up and was checking some things out on his computer.  I asked him when he was supposed to go in this week for his check-up.  He said he actually went in last week for the tests, and he already got the call from his doctor giving him the all clear!

Great news indeed!

:D

His next check-up will be in August which will be the year "anniversary" of his diagnosis.  And with this recent "good news", there's no reason to think that anything will change come August.

VIBES do work!
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2005, 09:07:36 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm still treading cautiously.  I may  head down to Rodgers & Hammerstein to finish off the vestiges of SHOWBOAT I abandoned a week ago, and I'd like to stop by the recording session for several reasons:
  1.  I'd live to see Vinnie, whom I've not seen in around 6 years
  2.  Half of the recording cast are WHERE'S CHARLEY? alumni, and it would be fun to see them all
  3.  I haven't got to spend much time with my dear friend BK, although he'll be more involved with recording than socializing

I'm still treading cautiously; the surgery was a week ago today, but it seems a lifetime ago, and I'm treading cautiously this week after my bravura performance of last week.

Today's topic:
  Baseball and basketball, I love to watch live; I don't give a damn for them on television, and I will never never understand the popularity of that horrific reason to sit out in the cold and watch events happen too far away to comprehend that they call football.
  Swimming
  Gymnastics for men; I find the gymnastics rules for women with all that moronic posing and prancing around a total waste of time, neither good choreography nor good sense
  Ice skating, couples or single, for its amazing precision and grace

I hope you have a lovely day.

Question:  When you tread cautiously what size stick must you carry?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2005, 09:08:04 AM »

Once again, Good Recording Vibes to BK and Company!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2005, 09:10:36 AM »

That is wonderful news Jose!!! I am sure it is quite a relief for you and your family!

Now go watch your movie.

vixmom

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2005, 09:11:55 AM »

It will never happen!  FOOTBALL IS A STUPID GAME!!!!

I have never understood or cared about football, but I do enjoy watching them getting all lined up and set for the "hike" thingie  ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2005, 09:13:52 AM »

DR elmore - As DR Ginny suggested, I'd check for a software update.  In fact, there have been two BIG updates for iTunes over the past couple of weeks.  My iBook is set for AutoUpdates, and when I launched iTunes the other day, I was surprised to see some minor changes to the "front door" , the look of the program.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2005, 09:15:16 AM »

That is wonderful news Jose!!! I am sure it is quite a relief for you and your family!

Now go watch your movie.

Yes, Sir!

I just love it when you get authoritative.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2005, 09:15:35 AM »

Mr. Phil Spector's legal problems seem to be having a "hair-raising" effect on him.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2005, 09:19:52 AM »

If I hadn't been watching sports, I wouldn't have met der Brucer.

I got started as a scorekeeper for some of the Los Angeles Gay Softball League's teams because my partner at the time, Jason, had joined a team and they needed someone to keep the stats.  League rules.  It was, of course, the worst team in the league that first year, and they didn't continue through for another season.  Neither did Jason and I.   :-\

But I was hooked, and moved from team to team the following three years.  Then I got bashed by a gang of queerbashers (this was before the term "hate crime" came into fashion), moved to Pasadena, moved again to Orange County...

I happened to run into a former teammate from that first team one evening when I'd gone up to LA, and he invited me to keep score for a team he was going to coach down in Long Beach.  I took him up on the offer, and was with that team for two years before it folded.  The following season, I hooked up with the team sponsored by Mike's Corral, a somewhat famous bar in north Long Beach, and der B's favorite hangout.  We met the night before the first game of the season, had a ravishing time together, and since it was raining the next day got to spend the entire time talking instead of my keeping score.

Der Brucer followed me to the games for the next six seasons, sometimes grumbling sometimes not.  After Mike's Corral was sold (legal problems), I switched teams again, but the whole scorekeeping business was getting tiring, with too many egos too easily bruised.  After that sixth season, we decided to drop the weekly Sundays spent at the ballfield.  Der B retired, got us involved with politics, and I've had little reason to look back.

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2005, 09:21:10 AM »

Congratulations, DR Jose, on being considered one of the Mamma Mia "regulars."

I discovered some good news, too, when I arrived at work today at noon.  My vacation days for October 4 & 5 have been put on our departmental calendar, so I'm going to proceed with my plans to fly to NYC on the 3rd, play with Jane, Danise, vixmom, and any other DR's who care to join in, and then fly on to Atlanta on the 6th for my conference  ;D.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2005, 09:23:26 AM »

It will never happen!  FOOTBALL IS A STUPID GAME!!!!

I love "football" -- it's the three extra hours of commercials and stupid officiating holdups I hate.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2005, 09:29:10 AM »

Our problems with Peggy climbing over the fence have increased.

Once last night, and twice this morning, Peggy has gotten out of the yard.  That's bad enough, but how she got out is the real problem.  It seems that Fletcher has figured out how to open the doggy door even when we've slid the closing panel shut.  He pushes the panel up with his nose, and since it's a fairly snug fit the panel stays up while he lets himself out.  Therefor, Peggy follows...and over the fence she goes!

Fortunately, she doesn't want to run off too far, but with her pit bull bloodlines there are too many people who won't see her as the friendly dog that she is, and she could get into real trouble.

Der Brucer thinks he's rigged the door so that Fletcher won't be able to open it again, but it's a pain.

We've got to get her a better home.

:'(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2005, 09:30:59 AM »

Today is National Escargot Day.

:P

Personally, I find escargot a terrible waste of good garlic.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2005, 09:34:27 AM »

Elmore, I share your contempt for football.  Just clumps of men running up and down the field.  I feel the same way about basketball.  I went to a high school in Northern Kentucky that were regional or state champs year after year and the whole town was somewhat maniacal about football, so there was a lot of pressure to play.  I did my freshmen year.  When I didn't go out my sophmore year, the football coach pulled me out of French class had a "long chat" about it with me, which was basically a thing where he pressured and intimidated me to go out the next year.  This was back in my Greek god days, so I had a body and could run very fast...in fact, I think I was the fastest man on the team...but I couldn't catch a cold in Siberia, couldn't block and when I was down in that line, and the ball was hiked all those complex plays went out of my head.  

The head football coach was gone my senior year and I opted for dramatics.  I also did some minor track.  I was a dash man and once or twice.  But I hated competitive athletics.

I went to the University of Kentucky during the Adolph Rupp days and still have the distinction of never once attending a basketball game.

Elmore, my mother went to Miami University.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2005, 09:37:53 AM »

It was seventy-six years ago today, in 1929, that The Cocoanuts premiered.  The Marx Brothers, and little else, were never the same after that.

And today marks the 122nd anniversary of the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge.  (That's for those of you who have no interest in Cocoanuts.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2005, 09:46:01 AM »

Could a strumpet be a narcissist out for a profit?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 10:34:14 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2005, 09:49:56 AM »

OH!

And I meant to post/ask about this earlier...

Did anyone catch catch the Theater's Best and Worst list in this past Sunday's New York Times?  -Well, they called it "The Incredibles"  and "...The Regrettables".  Copies of it were being passed around backstage at the show on Sunday.  The first entry caused some almost LOL moments.

From Ben Brantley's "Regrettables" list:

EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF 'GOOD VIBRATIONS' The show that may well be remembered (and hailed) for hastening the death of the jukebox musical, a virtuous act of euthanasia if ever there was one. The ultimate bottom-scraping example of a low form of scavenger theater, this stitched-together beach blanket of a show purged every ray of sunshine from the happy songs of the Beach Boys, as a young and firm-bodied cast modeled swimwear and drowned before our eyes.
[/size]

:)

And the rest of the special Tony Awards section had some other great articles.

2005 Tony Awards
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2005, 09:55:26 AM »

I've been reading the past week's threads and found some comments about TV show discussions.

Even after all time zones have had airings of a show, it seems some Dear Readers are a bit "taken aback" (?) when others discuss the shows because they haven't "yet" watched them.

My question:  How long should we cite "spoilers" after an air date?

I think that if we know that somebody here hasn't watched a show then we should put spoilers.  For example when TAR was on we knew DR MBarnum would tape it.  And for DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES DR MattH said he hadn't watched it yet.

If nobody says they haven't watched it, then i would just put spoilers the next day (just to be sure).

Also, DR Jennifer commented yesterday that she found the "Desperate Housewives" finale a bit boring because others had predicted how things would turn out.  I didn't read it as a complaint, but simply as a statement that the finale wasn't as exciting as it "might" have been had good guesses not been made.

That said, there was a May 18th post from DR Jennifer asking everyone who they thought the person would be who gets killed.  So...it might be prudent to avoid asking questions you don't want good answers to.  

You're right, it wasn't a complaint.  I found it interesting that many had guessed the surprises.

But I was referring to the Mike/Deirdre/Mary Alice/ Paul plotline, not the "who gets killed" one.  Since it was me who guessed Rex. :)  Anyhow for that one we all just guessed a bunch of people (paul by mike, rex from heart attack, lawnboy ...).  So that surely didn't spoil anything.  I just thought they picked the most boring death (since we knew Rex had had a heart attack it wasn't really a surprise).

vixmom

« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2005, 10:31:47 AM »

Great news Jose,  both for you and your Dad!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2005, 10:44:06 AM »

Question:  When you tread cautiously what size stick must you carry?

I don't think we'll go there for several reasons, the first being DRTCB!

Well, SHOWBOAT is put to bed, and I've been to the recording studio, where I've seen Dear Friend BK, DRs Rodzinski and Iris, my WHERE'S CHARLEY? friends, Jonathan, the great Tony Walton, the peculiar Barry Day, and Vinnie!  I wanted to stay longer, but I forgot to take the Vicodin this morning and the pain was wearing me down.  So I'm now home.  

I'm wondering if DRTomovoz is also home by now?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2005, 10:50:48 AM »

Elmore, my mother went to Miami University.

She should be in my alumni directory!  

I loved to play basketball and baseball, even though I stank at both games.  My major complaint about public school athletics is that the superbutch coaches only care about their superbutch jocks; it's us nerds and spazzes who needed the attention and nurturing rather than the scorn and derision that seems to be the norm among a group of athletic assholes.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2005, 11:03:35 AM »

Just got back from a crosstown jaunt to the studio. It was a gigantic place.  Shot a little footage for BK to use on the new site. Maybe two minutes of good stuff on there. Iris was there, keeping the people and paperwork in line. Elmore was there and let me share his cab part of the way back. BK was there, MAB (Mostly All-Business) as one might imagine. Everything seems to be going well, near as I can tell!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2005, 11:10:34 AM »

And I just got back from a stroll to Barnes & Noble, where I picked up two interesting tomes.  The first is The Worst Album Covers Ever, which looks to be a real hoot.  Also, a week or so ago we were discussing Caleb Carr and I've been wishing that he would publish another book.  And so he has.  This time, he has written a new Sherlock Holmes novel--The Italian Secretary.  I'm usually suspicious when an author borrows characters like this, but I'm gleefully anticipating what kind of spin Carr puts on Holmes and Co.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2005, 11:11:16 AM »

Re: Phil Spector's hair.  It amazes me how delusional some people can be about their looks.  Does someone really get up in the morning, look in a mirror with that hair, and go, "Hey! Looking goood!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up