Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: DO I HEAR AN ANNIVERSARY WALTZ?  (Read 27965 times)

Ben

Re:DO I HEAR AN ANNIVERSARY WALTZ?
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2003, 10:24:28 AM »

Oh, yes!!! I keep forgetting even though people mention him. Thanks, Donald for your great and informative shows. You're actually the reason I found this place, as I mentioned earlier, having heard you "someplace else" Broadway Radio Show is a Monday morning treat for me.

Ben

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2003, 10:25:38 AM »

Well, that bumped us to page 3, at least on my computer, and now I'm going to partake of some Chicken Noodle Soup with fresh vegetables and some herbal iced tea for lunch. Need some warmth on this chilly NY afternoon.

Ben

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2003, 10:26:09 AM »

50 to go. Jennifer, get hoppin' girl.

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2003, 10:27:16 AM »

Well I think I will venture out into the cold to go to the Dollar store. Do you guys in the US have dollar stores? Here it is all the rage. My favorite is Dollarama, because everything in it is $1 only. Most of the other dollar stores have different prices (except a Buck or Two, in which everything is either $1 or $2).

You would not believe what I can find at Dollarama for $1 Cdn.  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2003, 10:27:40 AM »

Now, at last, I'm caught up reading posts.

Life has so much less color when people make homophones of
Mary, merry, marry
Hairy Hairy
Carrie & Kerry

For some reason, I remembered the advertising campaign for the film version of The Boys in the Band many years ago.  It didn't show a clip, it didn't show characters, not even faces.  It simply showed the title and said, in profound tones:

"The Boys in the Band" is not a musical.

No indication, whatsoever, of what The Boys in the Band was.

So, I suspect there were homophobes out there (as opposed to homophones) who said "Good, it's not a musical.  We can go see it and be safe."

Does anybody else remember this, or was it just a dream I had?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2003, 10:29:22 AM »

But DR Ben I am 15 behind you ... even with all my posts today :(

Btw, how pathetic is it that getting to 250 posts means so much? :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2003, 10:30:50 AM »

I've eaten so many Ricola drops that I want to throw up.  

But enough about me - let's have more tales!  What are your favorite moments that we've had here at haineshisway.com?  Tales, I say, we need tales.

Emily

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2003, 10:32:42 AM »

Hello Everyone on the frosty and frigid Sunday afternoon!

(I want to change my profile pic to something more seasonal - but the darn thing isn't working.  Help!)

The Anniversary Dance:

*dance-dance-dance-yippee-dance-dance-kiss-dance-dance-check clock-dance-dance-are we really THAT old?-dance-spririt fingers*

I hope you all enjoyed that as much as I did.

So to the unofficial question of the day... hmmm...

Quite frankly it feels like I've been here forever!  But really I discovered this site when DR Jennifer posted on All That Chat that she was taking the banned "American Idol" talk to some weirdly named and then unknown to me site (this one in fact).  I read all your delighful posts and then promptly forgot about the site until I was clearing my IE favorites list and came across my bookmark to HHW.  I went back to check out what it was and discovered that all of you were in chat!  I joined for about five minutes and was completely and utterly pleased with the welcome you gave me.  I stuck around, needless to say and no longer feel the need to go to Talkin' Broadway anymore.  You saved me from a life of bad vibes and a very very bitter man named Danny (and others of course).  Three cheers to HHW :)

I am officially almost finished my Provincial Politics paper, but seeing as its only due on Thursday I have had to put it on the backburner in favor of another paper that's due on Tuesday for my class on The Arab-Israeli Conflict, Crisis and Peace.  Argh!  Camp David II talks here I come! :)

I WILL be in chat later on this evening and I will hopefully be able to drag DR Andrea into it too.  This IS a special occasion after all!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2003, 10:33:29 AM »

I think the first continued story is the highlight of my HHW life thus far.  Melissa and Brett and the Evil Dramaturge.  Could it get any better than that!?! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2003, 10:33:37 AM »

Dear esteemed, enduring, endearing, and sparkling  BK

Happy Anniversary, and major thank-yous for all of the effort, caring, and thoughtfulness that you put into this site.  It is indeed a most unique place on the internet, and deserves long-stemmed roses,  long-limbed lovelies,  and a big platter of shrimp cocktail shrimp, all draped and distributed around the living room!

I heard about this site from DR Kerry, and wondered to myself "what can be so interesting about reading some kind of narrow grey column, with black borders, that seems to scroll on forever, written by people that you don't know??"  Furthermore, this site didn't even promise to lower my mortgage rate, or make anything about me longer or firmer!!

After reading it only for a few days, I found it to be made up of a very interesting bunch of individual thinkers, creative people with diverse backgrounds, and an all around great group of total loonies.  

We have now had the pleasure of meeting a number of H/Ks in person, and have had some great get-togethers.

Bruce is not only a wonderfully warm and funny person to have dinner with, but is also tuned in to a lot of the elements of music and music production that I have always found to be important.  When he actually knew and recognized the slow, minor main theme for "Ship Of Fools," he gained major bonus points from this old musician!

I have learned many interesting and unknown facts about film and theatre from some of the seasoned Pros here, such as BK, WEL, WFO, Jrand, TD, Pogue, and others,  and I have also had the joy of watching talents and careers that are just starting for some of the great young people here like Jason, Julianna, Hapgood, and others.

So,  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY again to you Bruce....and, with its new paint and wallpaper, may your living room continue to flourish and nurture and allow us to be your guests.

8)

MusicGuy

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2003, 10:45:10 AM »

DR TD  --  by the way, thanks for posting that great picture of Gloria Swanson standing in the rubble yesterday.  That is a great shot (she is actually standing in the debris of the almost-torn down Roxy Theatre in Manhattan) and it was used in a book that a dear old friend of mine wrote back in the 1960s.  The title was "The Best Remaining Seats" and it was written by Mr. Ben Hall, who worked for the Time-Life organization.  Ben was a longtime NY-er, who had a great knowledge and interest in old movie-palace theatres all across the country.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2003, 10:49:47 AM »

Somewhere, somehow, TD has posted a slide show of various baked desserts.  One of these pictures shows cupcakes laid out on tiered plates.  Which is what we had at Our Wedding cast party (reception).  No wedding cake, as we don't like wedding cakes and hardly believe anybody else does.  But these cupcakes were so good the photographer from the Times called to find out where they were from.

Crumbs, on Amsterdam.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2003, 10:53:09 AM »

I did not find this site by accident. Oh no. I got a lovely email one day from some record producer friend of mine that said that he had been asked by some swarmy performer to write for his site and included a link. That link of course was for www.haineshisway.com.  The swarmy singer was Guy Haines (who, on this day, you would think would post a congratulations and thank you to BK for all his work).  The record producer is of course Bruce Kimmel.

Some of my favorite HHW moments would include the poop jokes, the what if's, the old way ASK BK DAY worked where there was always anticipation on what and how Bruce would answer our unseemly questions and of course all of our merry celebrations here...

MusicGuy

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2003, 10:58:24 AM »

I have a question......I see it talked about and referred to, but I can's see any "box" or "button" that will let me send a karma point to anyone??

Any help will be appreciated.   ???

MusicGuy

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2003, 11:07:28 AM »

And lest I forget my manners or leave out credit and congratulations where they are due;

Very big thank-yous and huzzahs to Dear Readers Craig, Mr. Mark B., Guy Haines hizself, Donald (or should we say "beefcake") Feltham, Michael Shayne, Julianna Hansen, ...........

...and Grandma & Grandpa Gelfinbaum.

BTW (YKW in internet lingo) If any of you dear readers are ever with the lovely BK in person, have him tell you what the rest of "Grandpa Gelfinbaum's" saying was that went along with "What is it, Fish??"  You have to hear it spoken to really appreciate it.  I almost peed at Musso & Frank's, and that would have surely been unseemly.

Ben

« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2003, 11:09:49 AM »

Dear esteemed and generous reader Music Guy (AKA Lyn), you need to get to 26 posts before you can bestow karma. Once you reach that magic number, the Applaud and Boo buttons will appear under other people's names. The buttons don't appear under your own name because you can't give yourself Karma. If you click Applaud, you have given someone 1 karma point and you cannot give them another Karma point for the next 72 hours. If you click Boo, you have taken a karma point away from some one, so be vewy, vewy cawefuw (Elmer Fudd channeling ) of which button you click. You would not want to disturb someone's otherwise pleasant day by lowering their karma.

Ben

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2003, 11:13:07 AM »

Yes, Craig, the corprophiliac jokes, although perhaps unseemly, were certainly funny. Some of the old posters from days gone by were famous for their poop material, people like FreedUnit. He was also a cake fancier and presented us with some wonderful desserts. He popped in a couple of times a few months ago, but he seems to have fallen off the face of the Internet.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2003, 11:15:01 AM »

No help with the lyric?  8-(  I guess more DR's skip my posts than I thought.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2003, 11:16:54 AM »

Jennifer, you may be about 15 behind me, but I'm 50 behind DR TFO (Tom from Oz in Internet lingo) and he has an advantage because he can post while we're sleeping, at least some of us are sleeping, Tom does seem to be communing with those Washington state boys quite a bit. Me hopes they are not corrupting our Dear Tom.

Emily

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2003, 11:18:47 AM »

Some of the old posters from days gone by were famous for their poop material, people like FreedUnit. He was also a cake fancier and presented us with some wonderful desserts. He popped in a couple of times a few months ago, but he seems to have fallen off the face of the Internet.

Shouldn't there be a warning somewhere about the risks of falling off the face of the Internet?  That sounds painful.

I am clearly going bonkers from longterm exposure to the Arab-Israeli conflict.  Maybe if we send a shipload of Noel's cupcakes to the Middle East they'll all be so happy they'll start talking.  Again.  :)

Ben

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2003, 11:22:02 AM »

Hey, JRand, we don't skip your posts! I have always heard it as "fanned" and everything I have found so far points to it being "fanned" not "found" Even this site which mentions Linda Eder lists "fanned" as the lyric. Must just be a pronunciation thing.

www.poplyrics.net/waiguo/jazz/lindaeder/086.htm

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2003, 11:32:33 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......well she said "found" in the closeup....strange that no one corrected her in the MANY rehearsals she must have had.

Thanks, DR Ben.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2003, 11:42:54 AM »

I was posting at one of the cesspools of the internet -- the recreation.music.movies newsgroup!

I was in the middle of a flame war over a comment I had made about the 2002 Oscarcast which a few fellows felt I had no right to make.  THEY could say things like that, but who was "I"?  Anyway, the next thing I know, Bruce Kimmel jumped into the fray and pooh-poohed the ridiculous notions these few people held about who could say what and when about whom, and then he invited me to visit HHW.com.

I posted the very same comments right here in March 2002 (just search the archives for the Oscar comments if you're interested).  Oddly, or perhaps not, a totally different comment I made was taken exception to -- but most civilly and intelligently, and it led to a discussion, not a fuss. (Had to do with the fuss Halle Berry made over being "chosen" as the breakthrough winner).

At any rate, that is how I came to visit HHW.com.  And I found myself being drawn back, as well as visiting other sites less often.

I've enjoyed the copraphiliac joke days, and I enjoyed the day of "kiss my ass", and I even enjoyed the weeks of "bitch-slaps" that first greeted me when I joined.

And then there was being interviewed by Donald Feltham when I was one of several whose favorite Broadway song choices were selected for shows.  Donald is one HELL of a nice guy!

In the 20 months, or so, that I've posted here, I've learned many things, acquired new recordings, and taken a new perspective on old perceptions about scores I love and scores I never gave a chance until reading what others thought of them.

It's fun being a giblet!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 02:55:48 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2003, 11:48:52 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY 2nd ANNIVERSARY EVERYONE!!![/move]

I for one am shaking my booty and doing the electric boogaloo, because this is without a doubt the bestest, brightest site on the internet!  I want to thank BK for his terrific and never too unseemly hosting of this here site, Craig and Mark for their faboo web design and administration, and Donald for his radio shows which are the best around!  

I checked this site out from a banner link on All That Chat.  As I told BK when I joined, I already had at least 10 of his CD's, so finding HHW was unbelievably cool for this built-in fan.  Not only did I get to know BK though as the strong, smart and funny man he is but I also got to know so many Dear Readers who shared my passions for musical theatre and film, among other things.  You guys are all my friends now (whether you like it or not!) and I count myself lucky to know such excellent and admirable hob...uhh, I mean people!  :P

It's tough to pick out highlights because I love every day here, but the Brent and Melissa story was definitely a highlight and also one of the chats in which I could not stop laughing for a single second.  

Jennifer--I love the mascot! He's perfect!

Emily--LOL about ATC!  I really don't go there much anymore now either.  

Jrand--doesn't Linda Eder doing "I, Don Quixote" give you chills?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 11:49:50 AM by Maya »

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2003, 11:50:51 AM »

Of course, Bob Merrill wrote "And if I'm fanned out" to go with "Your turn at bat, sir"

because Merrill was an artist.  He worked very hard on the lyric to Don't Rain On My Parade, carefully chosing his metaphors.  That's what artists do.

Linda Eder, on the other hand, is a hack.  She takes whatever gifts she has and butchers a well-wrought lyric, undoing all the hard work Merrill did (at least for those foolish enough to listen to her and not somebody else's rendition of the song).  That's what hacks do.

Whenever I "Post reply" here I feel I'm being urged to add similies, but I rarely do.  It would be like pouring water on chocolate.  There, I used one.   ;D

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2003, 11:53:46 AM »

Joy's back from her errand!  Hooray!

(No, Linda Eder doing I Don Quixote makes me laugh.  She thinks she's a man?  She's more deluded than Quixote himself!)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2003, 11:58:10 AM »

Congratulations to Guy, BK, Mr. Mark Bakalor, Donald, and to all of us.

I think it's swell that so many of us have met in real life and have made new friendships.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2003, 11:58:27 AM »

What a ... swell-egant, elegant party, this is! -- Cole Porter

« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 12:11:55 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2003, 11:59:43 AM »

LOL, Noel.  I can see why you don't like Linda.  I think her voice is absolutely incredible but the woman does lack subtlety.

I saw her in concert with Michael Feinstein.  She actually did "I, Don Quixote" as part of a medley of musical theatre songs written for men.  I forget the others she used..."What Kind of Fool Am I?" may have been one of them.  I actually thought it was a clever concept, although I can see how it may seem cocky (no pun intended) if taken out of context.  

I for one am always glad to see her do songs that aren't written by Wildhorn.  He's a good songwriter, but uhh...there are kind of better ones out there also, IMHO.  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2003, 12:06:33 PM »

I work early on Sunday, hence my E&T-ness.

Happy Anniversary to all and one!  I found this site when the esteemed BK emailed me to tell me about it.

My free-for-all question is:  what is the "Privacy Report" subscript that appears here now before a page loads?  I've never seen it on any other site.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up