Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LISTLESS LISTENING  (Read 7395 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: LISTLESS LISTENING
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2022, 09:35:58 AM »

DR TCB, YAY on your test results. 

Jane

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2022, 09:37:36 AM »

TOD: I remember getting a child's record player. Mom bought me a record of Sound of Music, which confused me, because it wasn't Julie Andrews; it was Mary Martin.

My sister gave me the Mary Martin one for Christmas when it first came out.  I had to listen to it a few times before I really appreciated it. 

Jane

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2022, 09:47:29 AM »

I remember listening to my Hopalong Cassidy storybook and record on a record player that was in the bedroom I shared with my sister.  I was maybe six years old.  I had that record player for years even after my sister moved out.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2022, 09:57:01 AM »

My parents had a nice built in system in our living room.  I wanted my own stereo and kept begging for one.  Finally, maybe my 15th birthday, they gifted me a stereo.  It was a one box record player with 3 speakers.  I was underwhelmed by the sound, but at least I had something better in my bedroom. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2022, 09:59:18 AM »

In all the tributes to Sidney Poitier, I have yet to hear anyone mention Porgy and Bess.

Hard to write about something too many haven’t seen.

I guess. I would love to see it.

Wait. You never did?

Nope. When it was released in 1959, my mother wouldn't let me see it. She said I was too young. I was 12 or 13 and loved the music I knew from it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 10:02:37 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2022, 10:13:44 AM »

In all the tributes to Sidney Poitier, I have yet to hear anyone mention Porgy and Bess.

Hard to write about something too many haven’t seen.

I guess. I would love to see it.

Wait. You never did?

Nope. When it was released in 1959, my mother wouldn't let me see it. She said I was too young. I was 12 or 13 and loved the music I knew from it.

And then it went away. At some point. I wonder how long the movie stayed in circulation before that.

I guess I was 11, but I *think* I'd recently shown a strong interest in Gershwin and my parents didn't hesitate to take us all to see it for that reason.

That's interesting about the too young reason. Of course that's why I wasn't permitted to see Where the Boys Are and Dr. No when they were released a year or two or even three years later.

ChasSmith

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2022, 10:17:16 AM »

Porgy is one of those movies that I've always wanted to confirm where we saw it, which has thus far been impossible thanks to the Columbus Dispatch not being on newspapers.com.

ChasSmith

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2022, 10:26:07 AM »

My other two times to see it were in the nice little theater at the Schoenberg music library at UCLA when they were showing revival house fare in the late 70s, and at the Ziegfeld in October 2007 as part of a celebration of the publication of a Preminger biography.

At that UCLA showing I was thrilled seeing it again, and at discovering how much of the original music Previn had retained... and at the Ziegfeld (with a severely compromised print), I was stunned at how pedestrian the cinematography seemed.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2022, 11:12:02 AM »

I think it's going to be buckwheat pancakes for lunch.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2022, 11:15:10 AM »

What great photos in the notes!  I liked seeing them very much!

Time machine material.

I did, too.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2022, 11:18:02 AM »

The stew is in the oven, where it will simmer for 90 minutes.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2022, 11:18:59 AM »

Meanwhile, I will finish off this Shirley Temple film. Franklin Pangborn is very funny in it.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2022, 11:23:49 AM »

TOD:

The first record players were something shared with my sisters. I don't remember having my own player until I was in my teens.

My first records were 45 rpm Disney discs, often with songs from the Sherman Brothers. I remember the Jaunting Car and a couple of songs from Dumbo in particular. The Mary Poppins soundtrack and a collection of George M. Cohan songs were my first albums.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2022, 11:27:36 AM »

Marilyn Bergman has died. Love that score for Ballroom. I think it has some of her finest work.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2022, 11:30:32 AM »

I forgot the Bergmans wrote the theme song for In the Heat of the Night, so there was a Poitier connection.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2022, 11:41:54 AM »

I spent the last hour listening to Harry Reid's funeral, shredding chicken, fighting off Annabelle and Stella, straining the broth, and cursing my limited counter space. This is why I cook as little as possible.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 11:43:34 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2022, 11:54:13 AM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2022, 11:55:45 AM »

Good Covid results news from TCB. Have you been feeling ill or do you suspect you were exposed?

Vibes for a successful move back home.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2022, 11:59:30 AM »

I came down with a cold about 10:30 last night. I have no reason to believe it's anything other than a cold at this point. I am isolating with a box of kleenex, lots of Sambucol, and lots of books. It's already improved a bit, but I'm staying in.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2022, 12:03:28 PM »

Jane, the phone problems are partly because I'm trying to change carriers. I only buy unlocked phones, so I can change when I get disgusted. I don't think getting the new phone set up with the new carrier will be a problem -- it's getting away from AT&T that's causing problems.

I purchased an iPhone SE because it's very close to my iPhone 5, which has worked out well for me. I prefer small phones.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2022, 12:04:13 PM »

I have no other news.

Vibes to all.

TTFN.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2022, 12:39:11 PM »

Ann stopped by for a visit and told me about her and Jen's Christmas adventure with wild turkeys on Martha's Vineyard. They were visiting Jen's brother, and Ann said the Vineyard was invaded by wild turkeys. At one point she counted 50 turkeys on the lawn.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2022, 01:16:08 PM »

Jane, the phone problems are partly because I'm trying to change carriers. I only buy unlocked phones, so I can change when I get disgusted. I don't think getting the new phone set up with the new carrier will be a problem -- it's getting away from AT&T that's causing problems.

I purchased an iPhone SE because it's very close to my iPhone 5, which has worked out well for me. I prefer small phones.

So it was the iPhone 5 that AT&T said you couldn't use anymore?  I have the SE first generation which needs an update.  I didn't know they still sold it.  The mini 12 & new mini 13 are both the same size as my SE phone.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2022, 01:16:45 PM »

I came down with a cold about 10:30 last night. I have no reason to believe it's anything other than a cold at this point. I am isolating with a box of kleenex, lots of Sambucol, and lots of books. It's already improved a bit, but I'm staying in.

Continue to feel better.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2022, 01:17:20 PM »

We also only buy unlocked phones.  Fortunately we continue to be pleased with T-Mobile. 

Jane

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2022, 01:18:57 PM »

I stopped into a T-Mobile store, not the one we have used in the past, to look at the mini 13.  I was surprised when the person helping me said they won't set up the phone if I purchase it.  They did that for me at the other store and I hope they still offer the service, if I do buy the new phone.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2022, 02:23:02 PM »

DR JOHN G is that the movie in which Franklin plays a stand by organist?  HAHAHA.

And it does end with the Military Man tap which I really like and in which Shirley fluffs a step......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2022, 02:24:00 PM »

Up from a nap. My tooth has started hurting again. Ugh.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2022, 02:25:14 PM »

DR JOHN G is that the movie in which Franklin plays a stand by organist?  HAHAHA.

And it does end with the Military Man tap which I really like and in which Shirley fluffs a step......

No. He was the manager of a high rise. Burt Lahr shoved him down a laundry chute.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2022, 02:26:29 PM »

Onward.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up