Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BANK NOTES  (Read 15996 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BANK NOTES
« on: July 07, 2005, 12:04:28 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've earned interest on the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they'll be home as soon as they're finished making their deposits, if you get my drift - or their drift.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 12:00:00 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BANK NOTES
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 12:08:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: ULULATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 12:22:22 AM »

ULULATE, baby, ULULATE!

That's what I'M talkin' about.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 12:46:20 AM »

Congratulations on the Stages/Together Again news, BK!!  I, for one, am one mighty happy fan! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 12:48:29 AM »

ULULATE:  v. To howl, wail, or lament loudly; emit long loud cries; "wail in self-pity"; "howl with sorrow" [syn: howl, wail, roar, yawl]

Who knew??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 12:57:19 AM »

This Follies casting is going to take a lot of thought...more than I can spare right now.  I will say that I've always wanted Shirley Temple to play Carlotta, just so that she could sing the line, "I've been through Shirley Temple." Cute, huh?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 01:02:03 AM »

We've got some special surprises for the release of Stages/Together Again, including selected video scenes from the play on the website.  Never done THAT before.  

George

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 01:13:54 AM »

Cool!  Can't wait to see those!

George

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 01:19:10 AM »

Goodnight, BK (and guests). 8)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 02:55:18 AM »

Hi, dear Hisaka.  I cannot sleep.  I've got so much stuff in my head right now, and I can't seem to shut it off for the evening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 02:55:45 AM »

Shhh.  Hisaka and I are having private time.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 03:01:00 AM »

Today (July 7th) is the Star Festival Day, The Altair and The Vega meet each other at some point on the Milky Way, just once a year, on this very day.   I liked this day very much as a child.  We children wrote our wishes down on a small cards and put them on a bamboo trees, since tradition says that if you make a wish on this special day, that will be obtained. My wish was always "want to be a florist" or "DON'T want to go to the dentist".  I remember the bamboo trees which were laden with children's notes(wishes) looked very beautiful.   I wonder there is the same special thing in other countries…

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 03:02:41 AM »

Drink a cup of hot milk for your beautiful sleep, dear BK.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 03:05:10 AM »

I hate milk.  How about a cup of hot Diet Coke?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 03:05:46 AM »

It's after three in the morning here.  I guess I should try to get a few hours of beauty sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 03:06:25 AM »

If Hisaka were here she could sing me a Japanese lullaby so that the Japanese sandman could help me fall asleep.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 03:08:05 AM »

I made a Thai style green curry for dinner so am about to have it. I'm so hungry.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 03:09:38 AM »

I hate milk.  How about a cup of hot Diet Coke?

I don't mind if you like. ;)

Michael

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 04:11:27 AM »

I am so thrilled that Stages is coming out on CD! It really has been one of my favorite musicals scores. I think I have mentioned it so many times over the years. You will all be in for a special treat! And here is something I didn't know! The additional song! I will have to fix up the STAGES page on my website.

There really is some good numbers in there: My First Apartment, Circles, Musical Comedy, Here We Are, Getting Better Every Day, No Letting Go.

here is the link to the newly revamped STAGES Page

http://www.brucekimmel.com/Kimmel,%20Bruce%20Theater%20Credits%20Page.htm

Scroll Down on the left side until you get to the STAGES icon and click on it. You can also look at Together Again which I haven't redone  as of yet.
It will let you know what the show is all about
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 04:14:15 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 04:24:04 AM »

Good morning, all!  And a special good morning to DRMichaelShayne, who's keeping me company.  Michael, are you coming to NYC in October?

Today, I'm back to the recording office and Toyland.  The last two days were profitable with DARLING OF THE DAY, and I got a lot of scoring accomplished.
DRRodzinski stopped by after his interview yesterday for a brief visit, and that was a pleasant diversion.

TOD:  Too scary.  I prefer the days of bad casting choices.  I will ponder the caqse and respond later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 04:35:00 AM »

Good morning, all!  And a special good morning to DRMichaelShayne, who's keeping me company.  Michael, are you coming to NYC in October?

What are the dates again???
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 04:37:17 AM »

TOD: So many choices

But how about Carlotta----Judy Garland? I would have loved to have heard her sing the song I'm Still Here

Maybe Liza will record it so I can get an idea how her mother would have sounded singing the song.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 05:07:43 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 06:11:58 AM »

Congrats on the new job, DR Rodzinski.

What a great TOD.  But it will take much thought, as DR Ge-orge (a KING AND I reference) has pointed out.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 06:44:10 AM »

I don't know from FOLLIES.

Tell us about the potential new cat DR Rodzinski.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 06:44:25 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 06:45:34 AM »

DR Hisaka, The Star Festival Day sounds like fun....and I think you should have been a florist as you have such a love of flowers!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2005, 07:00:13 AM »

All Star FOLLIES Movie Casting:

Sally:  Dottie Day (to be played at certain screenings by Jane Powell)
Phyllis:  Angela Lansbury
Ben:  Frank Sinatra
Buddy: Gene Kelly
Roscoe: Dan Dailey
Carlotta ("I'm Still Here"):  Susan Hayward
Solange ("Ah, Paris!"): Danielle Darrieux
Stella ("Who's That Woman?"): Mitzi Gaynor
Hattie ("Broadway Baby"): Joan Blondell
The Whitmans ("Rain on the Roof", and usually "Bolero D'Amour," these days):  Marge & Gower Champion
Heidi ("One More Kiss"):  Jeanette McDonald
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 07:03:27 AM by Stuart »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2005, 07:05:44 AM »

As FOLLIES is my favorite musical, this is going to require a lot of thought. I think DR Stuart has some excellent ideas, however.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2005, 07:06:20 AM »

Oooh, Stuart, I like that casting, especially Joan Blondell and Jeanette McDonald. Good Work!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2005, 07:07:30 AM »

Last night, DR Jose wrote: "DR MattH - I think you should just go with your "instincts", and put "Lara Croft" back on the shelf.  For good.  I'm pretty sure there are better movies deserving of your viewing time - no matter how spectacular the productions values are."

Well, it's not the DVD but recorded in high definition off Showtime-HD, so it's just a question of hitting a button to erase the whole thing. I really think I ought to see it through to the end, but I may have to continue to watch in little spurts of ten or fifteen minutes apiece.

Anyway, it is VERY clear to me why this film did less than half of the first film's box-office.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2005, 07:07:48 AM »

I've had a radical idea for sometime now on how to film Follies, but it would involve a huge revision of the book.

I see the setting of the show being updated.  It would now be a reunion of a 1950s/60s TV variety show--The Danny Wise Show.  It would still take place in a NY theatre--something along the lines of the Ed Sullivan Theatre--that is still destined to be demolished.  This Follies would be taped on video, and as the camera enters the theatre, we would see that the party has just started, with the guests gathered in groups throughout the auditorium.  There are monitors everywhere, each showing tapes of various Danny Wise Shows throughout the years it was broadcast--some in kinescope, some in pristine B&W video, others in muddled color.  As the evening and the show progresses, the figures in the videos begin to escape from their monitors, intermingling with the party guests, while some of the reunionees start to appear within the tapes from the past.  The "Loveland" segment would take place as an idealized past broadcast of The Danny Wise Valentine's Day Special, with a full and appreciative 1950's audience in place.  Ben's breakdown would set off a video breakdown, with ghosting, burnouts and over-saturations occurring as mismatched video images of the other characters collide with one another, culminating in the screen going blank except for that little white dot in the middle.

As far as casting is concerned, I would mine for the TV stars of the 50s and 60s (those that are still around, anyway.)  Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore as Ben and Phyllis?  Shirley Jones and Bob Newhart as Sally and Buddy?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up