Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BANK NOTES  (Read 15995 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:BANK NOTES
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2005, 08:53:00 AM »

The "If Only They Could Sing" casting

Ben: James Stewart
Phyllis: Katherine Hepburn
Sally: June Allyson (yeah, she can sing, but she'd nail "Losing My Mind.")
Buddy: Spencer Tracey
Carlotta: Bette Davis

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2005, 08:54:08 AM »

And I am sure there are those who think Bernadette Peters should just play ALL the roles, she is SO multi talented.

Absolutely correct.  Ms. Peters should be a part of it.

I am relishing "Sondheim, Etc." on a daily basis, and cannot wait for "Sondheim Etc., Etc." to be released on CD next month.

Thank you for lightening my gloominess by naming one of my favorite enchantresses.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2005, 08:54:52 AM »

Page Three Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Bolero D'Amore![/size][/move]

(Well, duh!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2005, 08:55:05 AM »

A very good rehearsal with George Ball this morning.  Luckily, he had just done a reading of this show a couple of weeks of go, so there wasn't too much new stuff to teach.  And since his wife, Amanda McBroom, is the lyricist for the show...  It was a very easy and fast rehearsal, just a few tweaks in the opening section for him.  Otherwise, I was just amazed I was that functional at 9:30am.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2005, 08:59:21 AM »

OH!!!

The next show workshop up here at Vassar is of a show called Limelight about Charlie Chaplin.  Luther Creek is playing Chaplin - I saw him as Bobby Strong in Urinetown on Broadway during it's closing week.  However...

There a lot of my "favorite" people in the cast too: Michael Rupert, Drew McVety, Kate Baldwin, Sara Litzsinger, Jacqueline Piro, etc...

Something tells me the cast party this weekend should be fun!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2005, 08:59:51 AM »

OK... Time to check on some more parts...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2005, 09:01:51 AM »

Luther Creek is an Indianapolis boy who went to the big city and made good.  I met him a couple of times, but I don't think we ever worked on a show together.

Not my intent, DR RLP - but good results can never be discounted, I suppose.

But I I I I I....at least gotta TAAA-RYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2005, 09:02:20 AM »

But JMK - Frances' theme song could be "I'm Still Here" - LOL.  

Shouldn't it really be "Losing My Mind?" (Or at the very least, "You Could Drive a Person Crazy", with her various personae doing 3-part harmony).  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jason

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2005, 09:03:40 AM »

Terror Alert for mass transit systems in the US was just elevated to Orange.

Hoo and Ray. Can't wait to hop on the train to go home tonight! Getting on the train this morning was a little creepy - the N/W train is always packed at 8:45, but it was quite empty this morning...

Whether the London bombings were politically or Olympically (?) related, I can't say with any certainty, but according to early reports on the news, it's related a Jihad cell set up in Europe. This group has also issued threats on Italy and (I think) Denmark, demanding that they pull their troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Now, I have no idea if any of that information is credible, but that's what reports out of Germany were saying earlier this morning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2005, 09:13:46 AM »

Belated question for BK:

A few weeks ago, you compared Mr. and Mrs. Smith with a play starring Elaine Stritch called Night of the Predators.  Is this the same play that Ms. Stritch was referring to in At Liberty when she talked about the scene where a married couple are eating dinner and the actor playing the husband, realizing that the prop gun was missing, grabbed a jar of jam and exclaimed, "I'm going to kill you with this poison jelly?"

Elaine had completely forgotten about the play - Time of the Barracudas.  When I met her to do Drat! The Cat! I reminded her of it and we talked about it for quite a while.  I believe that memory jog was why that story ended up in her show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2005, 09:16:32 AM »

Excellent (REALLY excellent) choices for Follies.  Gene Kelly seems to be the shoo-in for Buddy, but I think someone else I named in my notes would also be good (just can't remember who it was).  And Bing Crosby at the right age would be an interesting Ben.  

But I really want to see dear reader Stuart's cast.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2005, 09:17:32 AM »

Shouldn't it really be "Losing My Mind?" (Or at the very least, "You Could Drive a Person Crazy", with her various personae doing 3-part harmony).  ;)

Oh my - that was my second thought.  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2005, 09:18:42 AM »

Well just because Mr. Kelly is NOT my favorite - I would go with Dan Dailey and Betty Grable as Buddy and Sally.

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2005, 09:20:54 AM »

RLP, speaking for myself anyhow, I am just still trying to digest the info of the attacks in London...as I do with each attack that occurs in Iraq, lately, or the attack on the train in Spain....then I wander over to HHW for more uplifting news.

So, even though it might not be the topic of discussion I have no doubt we are all thinking about the people over there and sending our vibes their way.

Everyone deals with this sort of thing in their own way, and that is OK by me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2005, 09:21:28 AM »

Elaine had completely forgotten about the play - Time of the Barracudas.  When I met her to do Drat! The Cat! I reminded her of it and we talked about it for quite a while.  I believe that memory jog was why that story ended up in her show.

Where the heck did I get Night of the Predators from?  Oh, well--it can be the title of my new suspense drama.  Something about a group of runaway children and teenagers who crash a reunion party of former showgirls and hold them hostage.  Bitter secrets of regret are revealed.  The kids demand to know where are those people who did Hair.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2005, 09:22:23 AM »

The picture HHW has waited for.  The Above the Fold photo of I'll Be Back Before Midnight from yesterday's paper.  8)

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2005, 09:24:41 AM »

Above the fold AND in color!

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2005, 09:26:10 AM »

I would love to see the Allison Hayes version of FOLLIES on stage...however, I might subsitute Frances for Joi Lansing.

You know I don't think we have ever discovered any Allison Hayes stage work, have we (or did Sara Shane mention some...one of these days I will get to transcribing her interview).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2005, 09:26:56 AM »

The kids demand to know where are those people who did Hair.

DR DtM - I also think your FOLLIES revisal is intriguing.

As for the above, I have a similar question, but it has nothing to do with the musical of the same name....  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2005, 09:29:20 AM »

Well DRMBARNUM - Allison declared that it was her dream to one day tackle St. Joan onstage - but I am not sure what that means.

As far as I know, her Miss America experience was her only stage appearance - aside from her concerts with the American University Orchestra.  I am thinking she may have done some those industry shows when she was at Universal-International and the contract players did skits for the producers - but that hardly counts.

Joi would be a great Hattie!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2005, 09:30:09 AM »

Above the fold AND in color!

Isn't it lucky?

I sold 12 tickets and reserved 44 more in the box office last night from 5 pm to 7 pm.  ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2005, 09:54:54 AM »

I was also pretty surprised when I came on here this morning and didn't see any mention of what happened in London.

DR Jrand, I agree with you, I think it is about the Olympics.  It just seems like too much of a coincidence.  Although how they could execute something so quickly seems crazy.

Everyone in London is in my thoughts.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2005, 10:03:59 AM »

Timeline is a bit quick, DRJENNIFER - so we shall just have to wait and see.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2005, 10:11:05 AM »

Anther fabulous Heidi (or Phyllis) - Irene Dunne.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2005, 10:16:10 AM »

Well, DR Ron, no one talked about the results of DANCING WITH THE STARS from last night either, but that doesn't mean we don't care!

All kidding aside, it goes without saying that I grieved for the citizens of London this morning. Seems like evryone on Earth now has a stake in this terrorist activity. No one seems immune.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2005, 10:18:43 AM »

And the sun is shining just as brightly as can be right now. Whatever hideous tropical storm we were supposed to have never got here. At least, not yet! [gulp]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2005, 10:21:18 AM »

Well DRMBARNUM - Allison declared that it was her dream to one day tackle St. Joan onstage - but I am not sure what that means.
A football dream, perhaps?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2005, 10:30:12 AM »

Page Three Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Bolero D'Amore![/move]

(Well, duh!)

In the mail yesterday, I received a package from dresscircle.co.uk and in it was a Dutch cast recording of Barry Manilow's Copacabana (it's sung in English) and I really like his song by that title.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2005, 10:33:53 AM »

I would love to see the Allison Hayes version of FOLLIES on stage...however, I might subsitute Frances for Joi Lansing.

You know I don't think we have ever discovered any Allison Hayes stage work, have we (or did Sara Shane mention some...one of these days I will get to transcribing her interview).

Attack of the 50 Foot Sally!  Sally runs off with Ben (like he has a choice?)  Phyllis gets a revised song--"Ah, But Underneath (Sally's Foot)".  And Sally gets to declare to Buddy, "Oh, my God--it is tomorrow!  And it belongs to ME!  BWAH! HA! HA! HA! HAAAA!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2005, 10:49:28 AM »

Thursday greetings!  Long day at work today.  I'm no good at these casting topics, but the suggestions have made me want to go home and play my Follies record.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up