Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SLOW DOWN  (Read 17473 times)

MBarnum

Re:SLOW DOWN
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2005, 06:46:22 AM »

....and TARZAN (1985)

Ben

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2005, 06:51:15 AM »

D-t-M, re: Live8, apparently there was much bad press about VH1/MTVs coverage of the event and they have decided to re-broadcast 10 hours uninterrupted this weekend. Here is a link to the story

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050708/en_nm/television_live8_dc;_ylt=ArBix18SfSw2LZG81Nq5Iltb.nQA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2005, 07:20:34 AM »

D-t-M, re: Live8, apparently there was much bad press about VH1/MTVs coverage of the event and they have decided to re-broadcast 10 hours uninterrupted this weekend. Here is a link to the story

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050708/en_nm/television_live8_dc;_ylt=ArBix18SfSw2LZG81Nq5Iltb.nQA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Coolio!  Thanks for the link, Ben (and a very long link it is, too!)  These broadcast should be worth preserving.  I'll just have to make sure that I'm home at the three o'clock hour so I can switch tapes (another reminder for me to get off my indecisive butt and buy a TIVO already!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2005, 07:22:31 AM »

DVD: CARLA AND CONNIE (courtesy of my co-worker, and Bruce Kimmel fan, Amy)

Please tell me how this is, because -- embarassing as it might be -- I did have some interest in seeing this flick.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2005, 07:44:26 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - UP IN CENTRAL PARK (OCR)

DVD - X2 (have about 70 minutes before finishing it)
          THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
          Hitchcock's SUSPICION

DVR - SYLVIA SCARLETT
          Tuesday night's RESCUE ME
          this morning's THE GREEN HORNET episode
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2005, 07:44:43 AM »

Well, I came to work today, gift in hand, ready to attend a surprise baby shower for a co-worker.  The surprise was on us, though, because Abigail Lynn arrived last night!  Needless to say, the guest of honor (now Mom) is not at the party, but we dropped off presents and ate cake anyway.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2005, 07:45:37 AM »

Well, Jerry Herman did have a gala at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago that featured a lot of guest stars and was broadcast on cable and was later released to video. I certainly agree that John Kander has more than enough music to his credit to be given a sensational gala.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2005, 07:47:20 AM »

For those who are interested in that WIZARD OF OZ set coming out this fall, here's an article I'm reprinting from today's VARIETY. I can't just give a link because you have to subscribe to the service to read their articles:

Warner Home Video will release two new special editions of "The Wizard of Oz" on Oct. 25 that include the first new restoration and new bonus features in 12 years.
Restoration utilizes Warner's proprietary digital "Ultra-Resolution" technology process used on recent releases of titles such as last year's "Gone With the Wind."

New restoration has been created with high-def presentation in mind. "Wizard" will not be one of the first batch of high-def DVDs Warner releases this fall, when it plans to introduce the first releases on one of two incompatible high-def disc formats called HD DVD. But Warner Home Video senior VP classic catalog George Feltenstein said it will likely be among the first waves of movies released in high-def.

The score and soundtrack have also been enhanced and remastered for a new 5.1 channel stereo audio track, creating more separation from the two microphones used to record some of the music, in addition to the option of the original mono track.

Two versions of the DVD will be released with very different sleeve art for the two-disc special edition and the three-disc collector's edition.

Three-disc edition, with 13 hours of bonus features, including more than five hours of new extras, features a new documentary about creator L. Frank Baum and the entire 1925 silent feature film version of "The Wizard of Oz," starring Oliver Hardy as the Tin Man. Earlier pic has been restored from 35mm nitrate and features a new score recorded by Robert Israel.

Warners estimates that about 20 million copies of the movie have been sold collectively in the multiple VHS and Betamax editions, three laserdisc editions and two previous DVD editions since the initial VHS release in 1980 as one of MGM's first group of homevideo titles. That edition used an original theatrical release print. The studio reissued the movie on video in a 50th anniversary edition in 1989 using a transfer from a rare Technicolor print found in the basement of CBS.

In 1993 MGM released "The Ultimate Oz" set that featured the film transferred from a new interpositive from the original negative and hours of bonus features presented in their entirety on a laserdisc set. But that edition has registration problems with colors out of alignment, causing fuzziness and ghosting in some scenes.

That same film element was used for the edition that MGM released in 1997 for one of its first DVDs, which had none of the bonus features from "The Ultimate Oz," and again on the 1999 DVD release from Warner, which had then taken over the MGM library. That current release includes all of the bonus features from the 1993 laserdisc.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2005, 07:48:29 AM »

And here's a pic of one of the sets:

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2005, 07:49:40 AM »

Please tell me how this is, because -- embarassing as it might be -- I did have some interest in seeing this flick.

I laughed a lot at CONNIE & CARLA.  I had a good time at it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2005, 07:53:32 AM »

Beautiful blue sky with puffy clouds and a gorgeous (hot) day in store for us here. Hurricane Dennis is still churning around in the Caribbean, so our area is in no imminent danger.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2005, 07:54:10 AM »

Break a leg, DR TCB, on your opening night tonight. May 42ND STREET be so successful that it ends up on 42nd Street!

:D

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2005, 07:55:37 AM »

Season premiere of MONK tonight which I'm really looking forward to.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »

No reports yet from our reality gurus DRs Ron, MBarnum, and Jennifer about last night's BIG BROTHER? Waiting in great anticipation. . . .

Jason

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2005, 07:59:02 AM »

MBarnum: Skip "Connie and Carla" and go straight for "The Notebook," if for no other reason than for Ryan Gosling. I want to look like THAT! And it's one of those super-sentimental, over-the-top romances that makes you swoon. Or puke. I prefer to swoon, personally.

I'm mildly curious to hear Jason Robert's new CD. He invited me to come to hear one of his concerts this past week in NYC, but I didn't have the time.

My friend is co-producing the Sondheim shindig at the Hollywood Bowl. He offered to fly me out for it, but the airlines were blocking out all frequent flyer miles this week because of the holiday and I didn't have enough vacation days to take off. :(

Media Check:

DVD: The Golden Girls, Season 2, Disc 3
VCR: I have no idea...whatever my roommate was watching
CD Player (Home): "Immortal Beloved" Soundtrack, THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, ...SPELLING BEE, Tina Turner: The Best Disc 2
CD Player (Work): CAROLINE, OR CHANGE
Mini-disc: Same thing as last week - my Tonys compilation.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2005, 08:15:47 AM »

I saw the Notebook last week.  It really took me a while to get into it.  The second half is much better than the first. And the ending is so touching. Made me cry!

As for last night's Big Brother, this guy gives the best summaries: http://rapids.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/NewChat/NC-transcript.pl?CHAT_NAME=BigBrother6-01&WATCHER_ID=1687079&ACTION=TRANSCRIPT&LAST=999999

I liked it, and was even trying to figure out who the pairs were.  Does anybody else think rachel and howie (the last 2 on the surfboard) are a pair?

There was the HOH and nom ceremonies and the food challenge. So it was packed with stuff.  Only problem is i don't really know everybody yet. So that makes it a bit hard to follow.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 08:17:34 AM by Jennifer »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2005, 08:18:49 AM »

MBarnum: Skip "Connie and Carla" and go straight for "The Notebook," if for no other reason than for Ryan Gosling.

Yeah, I wanted to see that too...

One of these days, I will actually go to the movies, or rent them, instead of just making a list.....

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2005, 08:24:05 AM »

No reports yet from our reality gurus DRs Ron, MBarnum, and Jennifer about last night's BIG BROTHER? Waiting in great anticipation. . . .

I for one, was totally non-plussed.  (I was also non-subtracted.) It was a little bit fun trying to figure out who went with whom, but I imagine once they actually TELL us next week, it will help clarify things.  BTW (by the way, in internet lingo) I have a sneaking suspicion that those who they implied were the pairs last night won't be.

As for the eye-candy (male division):  Eh.  While many were handsome, their personalities tended to out weigh their pulchritude.

Oh for the days of Hardy (from whatever season he was on) and Josh/"Sloshie" (from season 1).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2005, 08:26:40 AM »

I was going to take the afternoon off to do some yard work at the House of Mom, but since it's rainy and gloomy I think I'll instead go see War of the Worlds, despite my deep-rooted fear of alien invasions.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2005, 08:34:04 AM »

re: Big Brother 6

Would you believe I "forgot" it was airing until about 8:25 p.m.?

Oh, well.  From the previews, I see no one yet knows about the "secret room."

Jennifer:  I gave those two you mentioned careful consideration.  However, given that they were alone on the surfboard in the pool at the end of HOH, they were talking as if they were forming a pact...something a "couple" wouldn't have to do.

I think the fireman -- Eric, is it? -- is going to hang himself early.  For one thing, he can't shut up when he's rallying the guys, and for another, the guy who went  to Rachel to discuss who to nominate for eviction flat-out revealed to her that Eric had power with the guys.  That was either very stupid of him, or it was a very intentional "plant" to work on the ladies for future evictions.

I've formed no opinions about anyone (and how could I with only 35 minutes of exposure, including commercials???).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2005, 08:35:48 AM »

DR TPunk:  I really would have liked to meet you last week, but I hope you had a nice visit with your friend in Berkeley.

I'm sorry I couldn't give more time to Tom.  I hated dropping him off at Jack London Square to kill a couple of hours.

The dim sum was fun, and I hope he DID enjoy it.  

The question now is, do you like dim sum?????

Welcome to our merry crew.

Ron
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 08:36:40 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2005, 08:56:22 AM »

Welcome to DR TPUNK aka Antonia!

Hmmm....

ALso thanks for the Opening Night vibes from DtM and MATTH and MBARNUM.  We had a fine opening - everything worked and the audience laughed AND got scared, so we are off and running.

OPENING NIGHT BOCE DE LUPE to DR TCB - and if MIDNIGHT doesn't pan out on Broadway - your production can have our theatre.  Though I imagine your nut is much bigger.  (A William Goldman reference.)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2005, 08:56:48 AM »

Hi DR Ron, Tom did enjoy the dim sum.  Thanks for exposing him to something new!  I too like dim sum, so there are now infinite possibilities. I did have a good visit, but hope to meet you face to face our next time out there.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2005, 08:57:01 AM »

ROJA is full of political intrigue, romance, murder, but with a little sex in it - oh and MUSIC and DANCING.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2005, 08:58:58 AM »

DVD: More of THE DORIS DAY SHOW The First Season

CD: Another listen to ARCH HALL, JR - thanks to DR RODZINSKI

VCR: SWOON, an anachronistic film about the Leopold-Loeb case that is very interesting to see after just watching COMPULSION!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2005, 09:03:44 AM »

Yes, leg breakings to DR TCB!  

Remember, you're going out there a dirty ol' pervert, but you've got to come back a dirty ol' perverted STAR!
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2005, 09:06:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: FRAPPE!
Everybody SING!!!

I wanna feel frappe
But I won't feel frappe
'Til I know you're frappe too!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2005, 09:08:00 AM »

Hey, who is this TPunk person???

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2005, 09:11:50 AM »

Broken legs to those in need tonight! And a special Monkey in my Hatband to JRand and MBarnum.

And a begrudging welcome to this TPunk character. :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2005, 09:13:15 AM »

TOD:

Yesterday, whilst driving hither and yon around the DelMarVa peninsula, der Brucer and I listened to The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and The Light in the Piazza.

Spelling Bee is fun.  Unfortunately, due to one song ("My Unfortunate Erection") we may not be able to play it for the grandlads at any time soon.  Or we might play it for them, but we'll have to tell them not to tell Mommy that we played it for them.   :-\ ::) ;D

Piazza is definately not for anyone who thinks Italian food is the red sauce stuff.  Some of the writing is very good, I think, and the Fabrizio has a very winning voice.  I enjoy it, to a degree, but so far I prefer Guettel's other works over this one.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up