Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THICK OF SUMMER  (Read 20120 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE THICK OF SUMMER
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2005, 08:56:11 AM »

Well, since I'm here, might as well get up to Page Two...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2005, 08:58:01 AM »

Mission Accomplished.

Now I just need to figure out what I need to get done today - or at least which things I MUST get done today.  -I do a piece of luggage filled with clothes from the past week up at New York Stage & Film... I guess that means I'll be doing laundry at least...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2005, 09:02:38 AM »

DR Ginny - Thank you.

But more importantly, there's a Beer Nuts Factory Store? Do they sell broken and mis-matched peanut halves?

;)

Take a look at www.beernuts.com, but beware it's a "musical" website.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2005, 09:40:54 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Rehearsal is at one and will last until three.  Waiting for this gray guck to burn off so that the sunshine can shine through.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2005, 09:42:26 AM »

Take a look at www.beernuts.com, but beware it's a "musical" website.

Thank you, again.

...Now I want to make a run to 7-11...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2005, 09:49:15 AM »

For some reason I cannot think of any British comedies that I have even seen, other the THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1963)...and it has been about 30 years since I last saw that one. But I guess that will have to be my pick.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2005, 09:53:01 AM »

Well, MBarnum, you should take a Bollywood break and run, at the very least, The Ladykillers, Kind Hearts and Coronets, and a few others mentioned here.  Very unlike American comedy, but very funny, nonetheless.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2005, 09:53:17 AM »

The gray guck is being stubborn.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2005, 09:53:37 AM »

The Gray Guck is Being Stubborn - that's the title of my next novel.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2005, 09:58:15 AM »

I'm just on my second  cup of joe, and I nearly spewed a mouthful when I read the following (from today's San Francisco Chronicle, The Datebook, "Ask Mick LaSalle" -- LaSalle is a movie critic):

Dear Mick: Cary Grant and Carole Lombard appeared in only one film together ("In Name Only"), and it was not a comedy. Other than Lombard's premature death, were there any other factors that kept them from appearing together more often?

Richard Hourula, Berkeley

Dear Richard: No. I'd say Lombard's death was the main factor. Once she was dead, her casting range became seriously limited. Paramount couldn't put her in a comedy, because that would have depressed people, and love stories were out because the love scenes would have been too one-sided. Her death, as it happened, came between eras. Had she died during the silent days, Paramount could have propped her up and cut to her for reaction shots, and had she died in the 1980s, she might have played opposite Andrew McCarthy in a "Weekend at Bernie's" spin-off. Of course, the unfortunate manner of her death easily could have precluded even these possibilities. Still, one thing can be said for certain: The decline of Lombard's career in the immediate aftermath of her fatal 1942 plane crash underscores the heartlessness of Golden Age studio executives, who consistently dropped stars who experienced reversals in their personal lives.

And I was always told there was no such thing as a stupid question!!!

:D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 10:03:26 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2005, 10:06:38 AM »

The gray guck is disappearing rapidly.  Soon there will be blue skies abounding, and then I shall go sit on the patio on read a magazine.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2005, 10:09:07 AM »

Everyone be sure to check your navels for lint.

Don't want to start a new week with a cluttered inny.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2005, 10:13:53 AM »

Well, I've sat in bed long enough...

Must be productive today...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2005, 10:33:56 AM »

The gray guck is completely gone.  

And now - Dino at the piano.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2005, 10:49:16 AM »

DR Jane, that would be very cool if your cousin was involved with Big Brother (it is BB6).  What is his name so i can check? (you can email it to me if you don't want to print it here).

Ben

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2005, 11:00:58 AM »

I'm up, I'm up. Sounds familiar...

I, too, had a wonderful time last night. I got home safe and sound on the Number One train from 79th Street to 18th Street. I got the Sunday paper at my deli, separated the parts I don't read (Automobiles, Classified, things like that), brushed my teeth and then went to bed. I got up earlier this afternoon (actually around 10:30am), had breakfast and then went back to Footlight. I was there yesterday as well. The sale on CDs has been reduced to just 25 percent off on all used CDs. It was originally 20 percent on all CDs except new releases. Oh, well. I did get a nice piece of vinyl, though, at 75 percent off. It's the Original Cast Recording of a show from 1983 done in Los Angeles by the one and only, Mr. Bruce Kimmel.

Edmund Gaynes presents:
Together Again, a New Musical with Book, Music and Lyrics by Bruce Kimmel

Now I just have to transfer it to CD!

Ah, Bruce, you look so young (not that you don't look young now, you just look younger then)

They are even taking 75 percent off the large stash of $2 records so I picked up a little gem called January the 26th. It is an original musical based on the history of Australia. It was issued in 1967 to commemorate the 125th Anniversary of the Bank of New South Wales. The guest star on the album is Miss Lana Cantrell. As the liner notes say:

So here it is - the first really big musical about Australian history. In 54 minutes of rare entertainment, this record keeps to the facts yet clothes them with humanity, humor, failure, triumph, anguish, and joy. The story, set to music, of the men and women who made Australia what it is today (in 1967).

I have some listening ahead of me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2005, 11:23:16 AM »

Good Morning, DR Cillaliz!

Today is very hot, like the thick of Summer, in Tokyo, too, though still in the rainy season.

I’m about to watch un film “The Passion of The Christ” on TV, from 10:00pm.

Hello DR Hisaka, you must have caught me when I looked at the posts and got off line to watch CBS Sunday Morning. They did a very nice segment on Rupert Holmes.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2005, 11:24:38 AM »

Ben, as reported HERE, you don't have to transfer Together Again to CD as it will be included in its entirety as a bonus when we release Stages in about eight weeks time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2005, 11:38:20 AM »

DR LAURA thanks for the photo!  The church is looking very nice!  AND the landscaping is indeed very NATURAL....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2005, 11:39:56 AM »

DR RLP - I am intrigued by the premise of that answer.  However, how can one disagree?

James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, and Robert Francis are just three more stars who were no longer offered parts after they died - coincidence?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2005, 12:02:16 PM »

DR RLP - I am intrigued by the premise of that answer.  However, how can one disagree?

James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, and Robert Francis are just three more stars who were no longer offered parts after they died - coincidence?

I think not.

It's conspiracy, pure and simple.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2005, 12:33:15 PM »

The Importance of Being Earnest - Michael Redgrave version

Is there any other?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2005, 12:34:23 PM »

Brit comedies that come to mind:

Kind Hearts & Coronets
The Ruling Class
The Wrong Box

Pogue's back!  And front.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2005, 12:35:05 PM »

BK said:

Ben, as reported HERE, you don't have to transfer Together Again to CD as it will be included in its entirety as a bonus when we release Stages in about eight weeks time.

Oops (or spoo, depending on how you want to look at it). I remember now. I'm still glad I bought the album. They actually had two copies of Together Again, but none of Stages.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2005, 12:36:26 PM »

Hello and Goodbye to my drinking partner, Mr. Moore. I'm back out into the heat to CVS. Although it's not a horrible 91 degrees, it is hotter than I would like it to be.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2005, 12:40:21 PM »

Hello and Goodbye to my drinking partner, Mr. Moore. I'm back out into the heat to CVS. Although it's not a horrible 91 degrees, it is hotter than I would like it to be.

Hello and goodbye indeed!  Back to DARLING OF THE DAY for me!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2005, 12:44:09 PM »

I shall now be on my way to rehearse - which we are doing in the same rehearsal room where What If was created.

I shall return in two hours time.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2005, 12:44:10 PM »

Hi Kerry, glad to hear about your mutual love of shirley temples.  I've never had to show a bartender how to make one, but I have had more than one scoff at my request.

That has never happened to me, in fact I get the impression they think it is funny.  I remember sitting in the bar portion of a restaurant, waiting for a table, with a friend & ordering a Shirley Temple.  As we left the bar the men sitting next to us, good-naturedly, warned me not to fall down.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2005, 12:45:46 PM »

Michael Shayne, good luck with your play.

George, along with HOUSE I think TRIAL BY JURY is the best thing on TV.  I wish I knew where to write and request it not be cancelled.  I have never done that before.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2005, 12:51:42 PM »

Bruce congratulations on the weight loss.  I always find it best to drop a few extra pounds in preparation for those days I splurge too much.

I purchase my Shalimar by Guerlain  at frangrance.net or http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/index.html?mv_pc

Directly to Very Irresistible: http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/wf_items.html?cat=02420&cur_letter=V&gs_gen=W  

Do you know if the woman is wearing perfume or EDT (au de toilet) or cologne?  I suggest you ask as they all have slightly different scents and perfume isn’t necessarily better, just stronger.  I also suggest you purchase, unless this will be used on a regular basis, the smallest bottle of perfume or spray EDT. Just remember because it smells good on this woman doesn’t mean it will be as nice on someone else.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up