Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHIPPING DEPARTMENT  (Read 19245 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE SHIPPING DEPARTMENT
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2005, 08:14:15 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed EAST OF EDEN tonight. It brought me to tears as it often has done, and I honestly feel James Dean's work here is more sensitive and more deeply felt than even his work in REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE which seems to get the near-universal nod as his best performance. They're both superb, but I think I favor EDEN.

Looked at the documentary on the second disc, at some of the wardrobe tests, and of course the deleted scenes.

The transfer was mostly good, but I found a few scenes kind of soft, and the WarnerColor was its usual variable quality.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2005, 08:14:52 PM »

Fair enough.   I thought you were tasking Matt for his position on not reading the Harry Potter books, perferring instead to see the film.  Your rebuke about his being a teacher and a former critic seemed connected to this, but now that I know that it wasn't, I will simply say that most adults I know don't read Harry Potter books, but do see the movies.
I'm a Rowling fan (but not a fanatic).  I think she's done a great service to the world's youth, whatever their ages, by writing her books.  That she has remained connected to her roots, remembering her past and giving charitably through her additional writings and donations, endears me to her.

That said, I should re-point the sales of the book that I noticed at my checkstand at the market: two of the five books were bought by juveniles, three by adults.  

I'm reminded of something that Ray Bradbury noted some time ago, and I believe he may have been quoting Harlan Ellison: that only ten percent of the American population reads as much as one book per year, and the vast majority of those are only reading the latest best seller while lazing at the beach.

That statistic scares me.  I can only hope someone made it up, but I fear that it may be on the high side rather than the low.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2005, 08:15:53 PM »

Watching The High and the Mighty.  I saw this film twenty-four times when it came out in 1954 - I made my parents, relatives, brother or anyone else I could find take me over and over.  

I've only seen it once - on television - many decades ago, so I have a very spotty memory of it. I just remember loving it. And that theme song - oh, it can bring tears to my eyes even now!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2005, 08:17:47 PM »

Tomorrow I head up to Spirit Lake to have my birthday with my family. (I just love birthdays that last for a week!)  There is a place there, The Gingham Inn, that makes pan fried chicken in cast iron skillets. It's the best chicken I've ever tasted and I'm going to eat it tomorrow!! I can't wait....

Now off for ice cream
Oh, Cillaliz, that chicken sounds delicious!  See if you can wrangle a few secrets about how it's made; my cast iron skillet is eager and waiting!

:D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2005, 08:18:49 PM »

After completing EAST OF EDEN and some of its supplements, I put MONK Season 2 back in and laughed through two more wonderful episodes. A grand feel-good pill after the serious drama of EDEN.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2005, 08:21:29 PM »

Going back to help my friend Jeff with some more moving tomorrow, so I don't know how much DVD-watching I'll get to do tomorrow. I'd love to watch something light like OCEANS TWELVE, but I may not have time to squeeze that in. Might have to be SHARK TALE.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2005, 08:22:05 PM »

Der B is watching Point Blank on some cable channel.  I'm not paying attention to the film, but they just had a sequence that made me look up who did the music.  From what I can tell from IMDB, and my memory of his style, it's Mark Isham, and all I can say is that my ears are ringing with WOW!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2005, 08:28:28 PM »

SWW:  If you like Mark, check out his short-lived group from about 20 years ago, Group 87.  Really, really great stuff.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2005, 08:28:38 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from my new place in NYC!

:)

Ah, the joys of wireless internet connections!

And I just realized that they have FULL cable and a DVR!!!  HOO and RAY!

I think I'm going to like it here.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2005, 08:33:25 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from my new place in NYC!

Ah, the joys of wireless internet connections!

And I just realized that they have FULL cable and a DVR!!!  HOO and RAY!

I think I'm going to like it here.

Sounds like you've died and gone to techie heaven!

You absolutely will LOVE having a DVR.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2005, 08:36:56 PM »

Since I'm going to be busy tomorrow, I'll be DVRing the 1955 KISMET (which is on TCM tomorrow) and then doing my usual comparison to the laserdisc to see which has the better picture with richer color, sharper image, and better stereophonic sound. Then, I'll burn a DVD if the TCM version is superior.

I haven't read anything about any upcoming DVD releases of KISMET (either the Keel musical version or the Ronald Colman-Marlene Dietrich nonmusical.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2005, 08:38:30 PM »

Dinner Report:

Restaurant:  Good Enough To Eat (GETE for short)

http://www.goodenoughtoeat.com

Entrees: Onion Rings (appetizer), Meatloaf (two orders) with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, side of French Fries, Mac 'N' Cheese with a side of Broccoli Rabe, Stuffed Chicken Breast (daily special) served with their Mashed Potatoes of the Day (with scallions and bacon)

*I'll leave it to you DRs to determine who had what. ;)

Desserts: Strawberry Shortcake, Devil's Food Cake with a scoop of Chocolate Cherry Chunk Ice Cream, and GETE's Kitchen Sink Cake (chocolate, peanut butter, chocolate chips and marshmallows) with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream.  -All made in-house including the ice cream!

All very good.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2005, 08:39:43 PM »

And as DR elmore mentioned previously, a very good meal made even better by the people around the table.

Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2005, 08:40:24 PM »

It's 8:40 here and 110F. It's getting windy and I saw some lightening. I hope it doesn't set off any new fires. Hopefully our monsoon will begin soon, bringing us some much-needed rain. It's late this year.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 08:41:03 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2005, 08:42:00 PM »

Sounds like you've died and gone to techie heaven!

You absolutely will LOVE having a DVR.

Well, if everything starts falling into place, I'll be playing for auditions during the day, and subbing in for a couple of shows at night... Leaving no time to catch up on my TV viewing via DVR.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2005, 08:45:24 PM »

...And actually, I think my favorite part of this apartment is the "finished" backyard.  I shall take pictures tomorrow morning, I hope, and post them here.

-My room, on the other hand, is a little utilitarian right now - and will most likely stay that way - which is OK.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2005, 08:50:39 PM »

Hmm... And it seems that whatever they are filming next door is requiring the actors to speak in "raised tones".  At least the air conditioning is sort of muting all the dialogue.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2005, 08:59:06 PM »

OH!

And here's the bio of one of my new roomies - and there's a picture too:

http://www.bwydance.com/faculty/bios/cooney_jim.shtml

The things you find when you Google.

Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2005, 09:00:41 PM »

S. WOody, I found your response presumptuous and ill-informed. You don't know me and have NO knowledge of what number of classic works I have an intimate knowledge of.

My comments had to do with modern works published that had generated a significant amount of press dealing with upcoming film versions. For example, I did not read JAWS before the film came out. That had NOTHING to do with what I taught in my classroom and everything to do with keeping the filmgoing experience as fresh and as surprising for me as it was possible to be.

I said nothing about knowledge of classic works which as an honors English teacher it was my great joy and pleasure to know and know well. And when films were made from classic works, Branagh's Shakespeare series, for example, I had no trouble at all bringing my knowledge of the printed page into what he as a filmmaker brought to the project.

But bk said what I feel, too. My method worked for me for twenty-five years of writing film reviews and thirty years of teaching English.

That you felt the need to criticize to the point of insult my own techniques was thoroughly unnecessary.
Matt, from your comments I believe I would not appreciate your work as a critic.  Using your own example of Jaws, to not be familiar with the book, or it's genesis as a pre-sold screenplay basis, shows a lack of appreciation of a work's growth.  This is not to denegrate Spielberg's work as a director; if anything, he overcame the deficits of the novel to create a cinematic treasure.  But I would consider what Spielberg did in taking the schematic of the original novel as the basis of the film to be a part of informing the readership to the film's impact, to be an essential part of a review, if simply because a part of that readership will be familiar with the novel.

There is an additional problem that I have with your comments yesterday.  You wrote:

My friend Hal is a BIG Potter fan, and he's promised to loan me all the books when I'm ready to read them. After THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX, he was dying to tell me some of the things that happened, but I managed to keep him for revealing anything.

Now, consider: we are currently witnessing the publication of Harry Potter SIX.  Harry Potter FOUR, published in 2000, won't be released as a film until November 18th of this year.  This makes for a five year lag time between book publication and film relase.  

Now, if we are to be consistant, this means that any discussion of Harry Potter Six (as a novel) will have to be withheld for five years, assuming that film production keeps pace with the books.  That's an awfully long time to avoid discussion of a topic, simply to avoid spoiling a part of the topic.

One of my friends here on this board has told me that it won't be until September until said friend reads the book, because of a reading backlog.  I can accept this, and look forward to said friend's reactions.  But five years?  That's pushing it way beyond acceptable limits.

I'm reminded of a run of Peanuts strips, where Linus reveals the secret of Rosebud in Citizen Kane and Sally is anguished about the film being ruined for her appreciation because of his inadvertant revelation.  True, Linus could have handled the situation better, but what Sally was demanding was a censorship of discussion.  This was just as wrong.  Why should the Linuses of the world be held back by the Sallys?  (I, personally, have no problem with people discussing the merits of The Godfather I & II due to my not having viewed the films myself.  My own faults should not hold back those around me.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 09:01:44 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2005, 09:03:52 PM »

SWW:  If you like Mark, check out his short-lived group from about 20 years ago, Group 87.  Really, really great stuff.
Thanks for the recommendation.  I'm familiar with some of his solo work on Windham Hill; I'll try to find this other work.

JMK

« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2005, 09:17:39 PM »

This is pre-Windham, but includes another Windham alum, Patrick O'Hearn.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »

I did a soundtrack many years ago with Billy Oskay of Windham Hill's Nightnoise.

Cillaliz

« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2005, 09:21:33 PM »

Oh, Cillaliz, that chicken sounds delicious!  See if you can wrangle a few secrets about how it's made; my cast iron skillet is eager and waiting!

:D

Well, I don't know exactly what spices they put in the flour at the Gingham, but it's just good old fashioned pan fried chicken. Just wash the chicken but don't dry, dip the chicken in the flour -about a cup for a 3# chicken is usually enough (shaking in a plastic bag is less messy) and cook it in about 1/2 inch of oil over medium heat covered for 10-15 minutes then turn it and cook about 15 minutes uncovered until it's nicely browned and done.  

I've done it a few times, it's a greasy mess to clean up, but very tasty
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 09:25:19 PM by Cillaliz »

JMK

« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2005, 09:23:59 PM »

Well, I don't know exactly what spices they put in the flour at the Gingham, but it's just good old fashioned pan fried chicken. Just wash the chicken but don't dry, dip the chicken in the flour -about a cup for a 3# chicken is usually enough (shaking in a plastic bag is less messy) and cook it in about 1/2 inch of oil over medium heat covered for 10-15 minutes then turn it and cook about 15 minutes until it's nicely browned and done.  

I've done it a few times, it's a greasy mess to clean up, but very tasty

It's Shake 'n' Bake, and aaahhhh helped.   ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2005, 09:26:32 PM »

I like shake and bake on pork chops and it's much easier than actually pan frying, but nothing tastes like the real pan fried stuff

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2005, 09:28:21 PM »

I ran out for ice cream and had a delicious chocolate black cherry cone. It was very tasty on such a hot night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2005, 09:29:10 PM »

On the TOD - I've never seen Tuscaloosa's Calling Me But I'm Not Going, but I've always like it and I believe it's a musical review

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2005, 09:34:30 PM »

Well I'm trying to add to the frenzy today...

Cillaliz

« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2005, 09:34:59 PM »

I don't think I've posted this many times in one day in a very long time!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2005, 09:46:36 PM »

DR Sandra is still reading.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up