Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHIPPING DEPARTMENT  (Read 18475 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE SHIPPING DEPARTMENT
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2005, 05:40:31 PM »

Gosh Guys, it sounds like fun.  Wish I could have joined in.  And the cake sounds yummy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2005, 05:43:03 PM »

DR Sandra is still reading.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2005, 05:49:36 PM »

My niece also picked her copy up at mid-night.  She is saving it to read on her flight to Hawaii tomorrow.

Did you circle the bookstore in your car last night while Sandra purchased her book?  How long did it take?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2005, 05:55:35 PM »

Gosh Guys, it sounds like fun.  Wish I could have joined in.  And the cake sounds yummy.

DRJane, I wish you'd been with us.  DRJose is such a wonderful guy and I'm thrilled to have such an intelligent and fascinating new friend.  DRs Rodzinski and TPunk are nearly family by now.  I'll let them tell you about the rest of the meal.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2005, 05:58:42 PM »

Dear reader Sandra has been far too errant and truant and is in for a bitch-slapping very soon.

Rehearsal went very well - the cuts we made yesterday worked great, and now act two is running just the right amount of time.  

Speaking of time, it is now time to eat two count them two chicken breasts from Gelson's.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2005, 06:18:06 PM »

S. Woody, as a former film critic, it was important for me to enter films with no preconceived notions which meant I often would not read best sellers if I knew they were going to be made into films. Sometimes, if it was a book I had already read, there was nothing I could do about it, but as much as was possible, I avoided books that I knew were going to be films.

Sorry if you think that's wrong. For me, it was and IS right. I'm just a creature of habit.
Sorry, Matt, but this doesn't sail.  You're a former teacher, as well.  If a film was based on a classic book, or play, your statement suggests that your knowledge of the book or play would prejudice your opinion of the film.  But your other occupation demands a knowledge of the printed works.

Every good critic I know of keeps abreast of what is happening in the world around him/her.  This includes reading books, seeing films, keeping up with news articles.  I'd be very wary of a film critic who was unaware of the previous incarnations of War of the Worlds, although there appear to be a number of critics on the Internet who have reviewed it thus.  Part of any intelligent film review is an understanding of what the director/performers/screenwriter has/have brought to the project.

And I too have been a critic, years ago at Sondheim.com.  I wrote a column reviewing CDs called Track by Track, and made a point of researching the discs as thoroughly as I could.  Context is a major part of reviewing any work.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2005, 06:31:37 PM »

We had fun at work today.  A thunderstorm made it's way through our area, bringing a downpour and then...BOOM!  There was a flash outside, a crack of thunder, and the lights went out!

OK, they only went out for a second.  But that was enough to knock the computers running our cash registers offline for a few minutes.  For a few minutes I changed my line to each person checking out to "Were you able to find what you were looking for...in the dark?"  That brought a few chuckles.

And I sold five copies of the new Harry Potter, which we've got in stock.  Two of the purchases were by young people...the other three were by adults.  Nice to know the books have broad appeal.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2005, 06:32:40 PM »

Time to get dinner made.  Meatballs Burgundy, which I haven't made for some time.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2005, 06:37:06 PM »

DR S. Woody:  I don't think your argument with Matt H. has much weight given that the Harry Potter books are "children's works" and not high school subject matter.

It's great they're getting children to read, BUT they are fantasy stories that -- IMO -- have no place in a classroom.

I enjoy great fantasy stories as much as anyone, but I don't want Lord of the Rings OR Harry Potter to be classroom reading material.

That's for kids to read on their own time.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 06:37:57 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2005, 06:43:03 PM »

Sorry, Matt, but this doesn't sail.  You're a former teacher, as well.  If a film was based on a classic book, or play, your statement suggests that your knowledge of the book or play would prejudice your opinion of the film.  But your other occupation demands a knowledge of the printed works.

Every good critic I know of keeps abreast of what is happening in the world around him/her.  This includes reading books, seeing films, keeping up with news articles.  I'd be very wary of a film critic who was unaware of the previous incarnations of War of the Worlds, although there appear to be a number of critics on the Internet who have reviewed it thus.  Part of any intelligent film review is an understanding of what the director/performers/screenwriter has/have brought to the project.

And I too have been a critic, years ago at Sondheim.com.  I wrote a column reviewing CDs called Track by Track, and made a point of researching the discs as thoroughly as I could.  Context is a major part of reviewing any work.

I have a tough time not speaking out when I see something written by a person who, in my opinion, presumes, through insult, that hisr approach/thoughts about a subject are the right ones for everyone.

I hope you meant well, but I think the points you were making were worded meanly.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 06:50:40 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2005, 06:57:11 PM »

What works for one person does not necessarily work for another person.  That is what makes the world go 'round.  There isn't any right or wrong that I can see on this particular issue.  MattH is perfectly right in his way of doing things, just as S. Woody is right in his.  There are no absolutes.  I haz spoken.

Have finished A Very Long Engagement, and will now settle down to The High and the Mighty - so excited.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2005, 06:58:24 PM »

DR S. Woody:  I don't think your argument with Matt H. has much weight given that the Harry Potter books are "children's works" and not high school subject matter.

It's great they're getting children to read, BUT they are fantasy stories that -- IMO -- have no place in a classroom.

I enjoy great fantasy stories as much as anyone, but I don't want Lord of the Rings OR Harry Potter to be classroom reading material.

That's for kids to read on their own time.
And where, in my argument, did I say these works should be part of a school curriculum?  My argument is that a critic should be aware of the context of the work being reviewed.  This includes film reviews, book reviews, theater reviews, restaurant reviews, the works.  The critic owes it to the reader to not only give an opinion, but give the reason for that opinion, in order to inform the reader about the work in question.  Any critic who does not do this, in my opinion, does the reader a disservice, and a critic who repeatedly does the reader this disservice will rapidly become a critic I ignore.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2005, 06:58:50 PM »

Now, I see people, but I don't see posts.  Do you realize if everyone who was currently on the board made a mere fifty or sixty posts by the end of the evening, then we'd achieve our new plateau tonight.  Kidding.  But, a few posts would be nice, so that what we achieve isn't our new all-time low.  That would be dastardly, I tell you, dastardly.

SPATULA, baby, SPATULA!  I'll bet you thought I'd forgotten.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2005, 07:00:23 PM »

Bruce you should have email.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2005, 07:07:46 PM »

And where, in my argument, did I say these works should be part of a school curriculum?  My argument is that a critic should be aware of the context of the work being reviewed.  This includes film reviews, book reviews, theater reviews, restaurant reviews, the works.  The critic owes it to the reader to not only give an opinion, but give the reason for that opinion, in order to inform the reader about the work in question.  Any critic who does not do this, in my opinion, does the reader a disservice, and a critic who repeatedly does the reader this disservice will rapidly become a critic I ignore.

Fair enough.   I thought you were tasking Matt for his position on not reading the Harry Potter books, perferring instead to see the film.  Your rebuke about his being a teacher and a former critic seemed connected to this, but now that I know that it wasn't, I will simply say that most adults I know don't read Harry Potter books, but do see the movies.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2005, 07:27:47 PM »

Children around the world are curled up reading a book today.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 07:28:05 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2005, 07:30:02 PM »

Including mine.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2005, 07:46:54 PM »

I have to say that when I was a film/theater reviewer for the Daily Utah Chronicle, I studiously avoided other reviews of whatever I might be assigned to.  I strove to impart my own opinion, not a reaction (either positive or negative) to someone else's.  That said, I also tried to be as familiar with source material as possible.  One of the things I attempted to impart in my reviews of adapted material was how closely (or not ;) ) the film/play hewed to the original source material, and if it had been radically changed, why I thought that might have happened.

I got one official "hate mail" in the paper for a review of Lenny, believe it or not.  Someone took me to task for sounding pretentious because I said that the off-screen interviewer sounded like Fosse.  This same person also thought it "precious" that I compared Fosse's love of the "unusual" face (to put it semi-diplomatically) to Fellini.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 07:47:52 PM by JMK »

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2005, 07:48:30 PM »

I still recall the letter writer's name:  Lance Milbauer.  Off to Google, back after a while.  :)

JMK

« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2005, 07:50:01 PM »

Hmmm....Lance must not have amounted to much.  No Google imprint that I can find, LOL.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2005, 07:51:59 PM »

It is the director's cut of Darling Lili, but the deleted scenes will be included as extras.  Why can't they release both versions on a double-sided DVD?

Or better yet, use seemless branching where you can choose which version you want to watch and the scenes are inserted in their proper places.

The Disney folks have used that technique with THE LION KING and POCAHONTAS to great effect.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2005, 07:55:01 PM »

Myra Nelson update:  I finally got a photo emailed to me and it does indeed look like Myra (who has only one IMDb credit to her name) appeared as an extra in the Barrymore/Farmer film World Premiere.  In the photo she is clad in a traditional Bavarian outfit, so I believe she must be one of the people in the "fake propaganda film" that is substituted for Bengal Pictures' acclaimed new release The World is on Fire.   ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2005, 08:00:22 PM »

Having a quiet day catching up on laundry, staying in out of the oppressive heat  YIKES! Heat index at 10 pm is still 93 degrees. Glad I have air conditioning.

Think I'll take the last load out of the dryer and head out for ice cream.

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2005, 08:02:04 PM »

Tomorrow I head up to Spirit Lake to have my birthday with my family. (I just love birthdays that last for a week!)  There is a place there, The Gingham Inn, that makes pan fried chicken in cast iron skillets. It's the best chicken I've ever tasted and I'm going to eat it tomorrow!! I can't wait....

Now off for ice cream

JMK

« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2005, 08:03:52 PM »

Just had a good laugh looking over some World Premiere data on IMDb:  costar Ricardo Cortez had star-making appearances in two films that have somehow been forgotten:  Postal Inspector, which must have been a really exciting thriller involving lost mail, and my new favorite film title, Rubber Racketeers, which evidently dealt with bootleg condoms.

JMK

« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2005, 08:04:21 PM »

Just to beat BK to the punch:

Rubber Racketeers is the title of my next novel.  ;)

JMK

« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2005, 08:05:05 PM »

OK, I have contributed two mini-frenzies today.  Handing the baton off to Matt, Jose & Cillaliz.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2005, 08:05:55 PM »

S. WOody, I found your response presumptuous and ill-informed. You don't know me and have NO knowledge of what number of classic works I have an intimate knowledge of.

My comments had to do with modern works published that had generated a significant amount of press dealing with upcoming film versions. For example, I did not read JAWS before the film came out. That had NOTHING to do with what I taught in my classroom and everything to do with keeping the filmgoing experience as fresh and as surprising for me as it was possible to be.

I said nothing about knowledge of classic works which as an honors English teacher it was my great joy and pleasure to know and know well. And when films were made from classic works, Branagh's Shakespeare series, for example, I had no trouble at all bringing my knowledge of the printed page into what he as a filmmaker brought to the project.

But bk said what I feel, too. My method worked for me for twenty-five years of writing film reviews and thirty years of teaching English.

That you felt the need to criticize to the point of insult my own techniques was thoroughly unnecessary.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2005, 08:10:22 PM »

Watching The High and the Mighty.  I saw this film twenty-four times when it came out in 1954 - I made my parents, relatives, brother or anyone else I could find take me over and over.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2005, 08:10:40 PM »

Got the e-mail, Jane, and have responded.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up