Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MIRACLE WORKERS  (Read 15889 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE MIRACLE WORKERS
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2005, 03:13:30 PM »

MBarnum, I believe Jalna is based ona series of books by a Canadian writer Mazo De La Roche.

MBarnum

« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2005, 03:18:48 PM »

MBarnum, I believe Jalna is based ona series of books by a Canadian writer Mazo De La Roche.

I think you are right. I have one of the book sequels...and I come across them in hardback quite often at thrift shops and estate sales...they must have been pretty good sellers in their day. One day I will sit down and read some.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2005, 04:10:53 PM »

In today's mail:  

All six Harry Potter novels in hardback!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2005, 04:11:17 PM »

When I was in college, we had a pet rat.  Her name was Kisses.  She was very friendly and would sit on my shoulder to watch tv with me.  She was a big fan of candy, specifically peppermint and peanut m&m's.

A lot of people find it weird that we had a pet rat, but we found her to be much more affectionate and personable than any of the hampsters we had.  And she smelled better too!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2005, 04:34:16 PM »

So I found out today that I will be leaving my job earlier than I thought.  There has been increasing conflict between my boss and me, and she told me today that she felt it would be best if I exit in 2 weeks rather than 6.  The 2 weeks are for creating "reference guides"  of all of the information I have and every process that I carry out for my replacement after I am gone.  My reward if I carry this out and "put a smile on my face" while I am doing it, will be 2 weeks of additional severance.

Part of me is thrilled that I've been given an early ticket out of there, and part of me is bummed that it is ending this way after almost 4 years of partnering with and supporting this person.  I'm going to try to think good thoughts and stick with being thrilled. :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »

I keep wanting to use the word of the day, but my feelings are divided on how to do it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2005, 04:59:17 PM »

For those of you who are unfamiliar with him, here is a photo of Mr. Cheyenne Jackson - the lovely, lovely man DR Jose and I saw in ALL SHOOK UP last night.

Well, that photo certainly explains the title of the show!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2005, 05:09:32 PM »

Part of me is thrilled that I've been given an early ticket out of there, and part of me is bummed that it is ending this way after almost 4 years of partnering with and supporting this person.  I'm going to try to think good thoughts and stick with being thrilled. :(

DR TPunk, that is probably the best way to go.  Leave with a smile on your face and don't give the joint a second thought once you are gone.

Or...

Or...you could start planting some empty vodka bottles in out-of-the-way hiding places in the office. Mix up a few files.  And then off-handedly mention to your replacement that she should be careful because Mrs. So-and-So drinks a little.  And then leave with a smile on your face.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »

Or...you could start planting some empty vodka bottles in out-of-the-way hiding places in the office. Mix up a few files.  And then off-handedly mention to your replacement that she should be careful because Mrs. So-and-So drinks a little.  And then leave with a smile on your face.
That is not a half bad idea  ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2005, 06:24:12 PM »

...But then there was "Bed and Sofa".... :)
We should form a club, membership limited to those who own a copy of B&S.  Acutally liking the show not required.   ::)

(And yes, I've seen it on stage.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2005, 06:38:58 PM »

TPunk, sorry the relationship with your boss has changed drastically.

I believe Ann had a pet rat before the Sugar Gliders.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2005, 06:39:22 PM »

Ron, are you feeling better?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2005, 08:03:03 PM »

Dog names, since der B and I have been together:

Peter Palmeri
Newton Kelsey
Jocko McFrickenfrack
Geordie McFrickenfrack
Walter Elias Warner
Martin Nuyer
Michael Augustus Snipps
Bonnie Bell Begonia
Buster Beauregard Begonia
Joshua BeBop Fletcher
and
Zeus
and
Peggy.

(I'm reluctant to give Peggy a full name, as she's a dog we're fostering, as Zeus was before her.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2005, 08:13:29 PM »

I watched another MONK episode from Season 2. That only leaves me with 3 left before I finish the box. Season 2 had some really great mysteries.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2005, 08:14:02 PM »

Der B and I were busy dogging again today.

First, we were off to the pound, taking pics of four different dogs this time.  Good news: the very old poodle and the shiz tsu (sp) have already been accepted, because of the pics, by other rescue orgs.  The two labs haven't been rescued yet, but we've good hopes for them.

Then, we drove to the home of an airline stew, who had taken in a corgi/lab stray named Annie.  Wonderful little girl (so was the stew), but the stew knew she couldn't care for the pup properly because of her job.  Fortunately, between when we took Annie's pics yesterday and today, der B had arranged for a temporary home for her, a family with two other dogs and an eightteen-month daughter who loves the doggies.  We drove Annie to her new temporary home, and she immediately fit in.  Der B is sort of hoping this "temporary" home will become permanent.

Saturday, my next day off, we'll be helping transport sixteen puppies from the home of one of my coworkers to a facility that specializes in pups.  That will be one where I hope we get lots of pics!

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2005, 08:18:28 PM »

Also finished up the thoroughly mediocre NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN. Connery was fine, but apart from Barbara Carrerra who was a flashy villainess, everyone else (villains, that is) was rather colorless.

I had forgotten that Rowan Atkinson played a small role in the film (another of his patented schlubs), and Alec McCowan was rather OK as 'Q,' but he wasn't given the snappy patter with Bond that Desmond Llewellyn was given in the "official" series.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2005, 08:21:17 PM »

Watching ads tonight for the Billy Bob Thorton remake of THE BAD NEWS BEARS just made me shake my head. What's wrong with the original one (with Walter Matthau and Tatum O'Neal) that we absolutely needed this remake?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2005, 08:31:41 PM »

I have indeed been the owner of both a rat and a pair of sugar gliders.  Shy, my little rat, was a great pet.  Aside from dealing with the "eww, you have a rat!" type comments, I loved it.  I am now the owner of two little sugar gliders...much to the dismay of Jed.  We avoid discussion of "exotic pets" in general, and I try to minimize contact between the suggies and him.  As much as I love them, however, they are somewhat difficult to fit in a busy life that involves such things as work and travel...so they might be going to a new home in the near future...we shall see.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2005, 08:35:23 PM »

TPunk - I deeply sympathize with your current work situation, although mine doesn't seem quite as drastic.  I have a coworker who THINKS she's my boss, and occasionally makes my days rather hellish.  She isn't my boss, but being the lead teacher in the classroom which I'm currently assigned to, she is my main coworker interaction, which makes things difficult.  But I just applied for a lead teacher position of my own, in the infant room...if I get that promotion, all problems will be solved! :)

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2005, 08:43:59 PM »

I've made my DVD selection for tomorrow, too, but will save that reveal for the Friday Media Check tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2005, 08:45:09 PM »

So, I guess I'm going to head for bed now. Another long, hot day is coming to a close (though we did have another of those sauna thundershowers this afternoon).

Good night.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2005, 09:11:19 PM »

TPunk - I deeply sympathize with your current work situation, although mine doesn't seem quite as drastic.  I have a coworker who THINKS she's my boss, and occasionally makes my days rather hellish.  She isn't my boss, but being the lead teacher in the classroom which I'm currently assigned to, she is my main coworker interaction, which makes things difficult.  But I just applied for a lead teacher position of my own, in the infant room...if I get that promotion, all problems will be solved! :)

People who think they are your boss are often worse than a run-of-the-mill bad boss.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2005, 09:12:27 PM »

Gee we got to page 4 by 11:30 am Pacific time. Now we're still on page 5. Summer  doldrums, I guess.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2005, 09:13:56 PM »

Ann, I just read about sugar gliders after never hearing of them before today. One site said if they don't get enough attention, like a couple hours a day, they die of loneliness. How strange. Do yours seem as needy as all that?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2005, 09:23:19 PM »

Ron, are you feeling better?

The headache is gone.  Thanks for asking.

My stomach is a bit upset, though.

And I feel queasy.

You don't suppose.....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2005, 10:16:28 PM »

Back from dinner.  Kevin C. ended up not being able to come to tonight's read-through, so we've added one tomorrow afternoon.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2005, 11:03:40 PM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon! Good Evening!

Whew!  Another long, but good day.

Today was the Dancers Who Sing Call.  We had three groups of men, and four groups of women - about 175 people in all.  Pretty good turnout.

There was one moment of "excitement" during the women's call.  I had just started playing "Shoeless Joe From Hannibal Mo" for the umpteenth time, when I heard this "pop", and then a bunch of "ooohhss".... I stopped playing, and when I looked up from the piano, I saw that one of the ladies was lying on the floor.  People rushed to her to help her out.  Some people thought it was her hamstring, others thought it was her back.  It turned out to be one of her knees - it just popped out.  However, in a few minutes, she was able to stand up, and we helped out of the room and out into the lobby.... -Where about 15 people starting walking up to her with bottles of Advil, Tylenol Aspirin and pain killers.  -It was actually kind of comic - and even she had a good laugh over it.

...And then we all took a deep breath... well, two of them, and went on with the auditions.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2005, 11:05:41 PM »

After the auditions, I walked around midtown (again).  I ended up at a place called Mama Empanada - or is it Empanada Mama? In any case, whatever order the words fall, the food was very good.  And cheap too!  The empanadas ranged in price from $2.00-$3.00, and they are fried to order.  I had originally planned to eat at the counter along the wall, but...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2005, 11:09:05 PM »

...But as I was waiting for my order, another conductor/keyboard player I know walked in.  So we ended up grabbing a small table and eating there.  And we played catch up too.  -He was the assistant for the Aida tour that I played for at the Kennedy Center - and that DR JRand saw in Indy (and liked very much).  And it also looks like he'll be throwing some work my way too.  He currently subs in for a couple of show on Broadway, and he also plays auditions from time to time too.  However, auditions are not his favorite thing to do, and since I do like playing auditions...

;)

A very nice dinner indeed.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2005, 11:10:24 PM »

Also finished up the thoroughly mediocre NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN. Connery was fine, but apart from Barbara Carrerra who was a flashy villainess, everyone else (villains, that is) was rather colorless.

At least there was a theme song sung by the wonderful Lani Hall.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up