Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MIRACLE WORKERS  (Read 15827 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:THE MIRACLE WORKERS
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2005, 06:44:43 AM »

Greetings all.

No exotic pets for me.  Cats when I was an adolescent, and to which I am now allergic (well, to all cats, not those two, since they are long gone).

And now, just DC (Dear Canine) Morgan.

Can't remember if I mentioned that I will be attending the Stagedoor Manor 30th Anniversary Celebration/Reunion this weekend.  Nervous about going, since I am sure I will know not a soul there, but strangely looking forward to it.  Let's just say I am one of the lesser lights that attended this performing arts summer camp.  Amongst our alums are:  Robert Downey Jr, Helen Slater, Nicky Silver, Todd Graff, Mandy Moore, et al.  

One of the reasons I decided to go was that my friend Julie Budd is playing Kutsher's (one of the last borscht belt hotels left), where the gala is taking place, on the prior evening.

Oy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2005, 06:46:51 AM »

Can I also add taht I am a bit peeved that the leader of the jazz trio I engaged for my first Music at Noon concert of the year called yesterday to ask some questions about the gig.  Including what time the concert took place.  When I told him Noon, he said he didn't realize that, and couldn't get the group here since they are all professors at various schools in the area.

Then why say yes in the first place????  It's Called Music at NOON, after all!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2005, 06:50:08 AM »

Did anyone ever have a parakeet that could talk.  I have only vague memories of Chi Chi, my family's talking keet.  I know he said "Hello" and "Merry Chris-chris-chris-chrismas".  And my aunt had one that said "Who are you?" (a Who fan, obviously.)  

Sadly, the ability for keets to talk was lost due to overbreeding.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2005, 07:22:01 AM »

More bombings have occurred in London.  Thank God that, so far, the explosions appear to be small and have caused no casualties.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2005, 07:27:51 AM »

Greetings and salutations.

TCB: You're too kind. I wish I were still so cute, but I'm afraid I've put on a bit of weight since I took this job. I guess that means there's just more to love...?

Hisaka: A young Tony Curtis? I'll take that!! Thank you very much. :)

I had exactly six pets as a child: 4 goldfish that my uncle apparently stole (along with the tank and accessories) during a drugged-out stupor. He gave them to me as a Christmas gift. We didn't know they were hot goods until a couple of years later. How do you STEAL a 20-gallon fish tank???

I also had a cocker spaniel named Buffy and a cat that I adored named Princess. I didn't pick that name - the neighbors did...when they named their cat Princess. I was totally uncreative at the time and stole the name 'cause I couldn't come up with anything better at the time. Somehow she became known as Princess Anne. I was a horrible pet owner - I didn't take care of her as well as I now know I should have, but BOY! I loved that cat. I miss her.

And then there were the mice...but they weren't pets. They were roommates.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2005, 07:31:34 AM »

DR Hisaka, I have heard of the movie BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA, but have never seen it. I know it stars a very pretty actress named Eiko Ando.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2005, 07:33:22 AM »

In 7th grade I had an aquarium with goldfish. I recall that one of them was named Kyoko. Eventually they all went belly up.

I do also seem to recall having a turtle when I was a kid.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2005, 07:46:12 AM »

Dr Matt Hough said yesterday

After enjoying EAST OF EDEN on Saturday, I've been fingering GIANT trying to descide if I want to give a day over to it since it's so long

Whatever you do in the privacy of your own home is okay with me! ;D

The spirit of DR TCB is alive and well in many DRs!  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2005, 07:47:55 AM »

How great to see DR OzDerek if only for a moment. Always nice to have him here!

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2005, 07:50:13 AM »

When I went back home to live with my folks after college (trying to save money to move into an apartment, but graduate school and starting my teaching career made if difficult), I got myself a parakeet which I named Murray (after Murray Slaughter on THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW). He lived about two years, but was really rather feisty and not very friendly.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2005, 07:51:08 AM »

The Eiko Ando picture of the week (year?)

I wonder whatever became of her?

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2005, 07:51:21 AM »

Decided on NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN for my DVD of the day. Haven't seen that since reviewing it many years ago, so it'll be nice to revisit after so long a time.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2005, 07:54:12 AM »

The guy I carpooled with to work for 20 years was a science teacher who set up an aquarium every year in his classroom. The year he retired (three years before I did), he gave me two goldfish from that aquarium, and I kept one alive quite a long time. The other died pretty quickly. I never did name either one.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2005, 07:55:59 AM »

And we have another furnace-like day here. It was 84 at 9 a.m. this morning. We've had thundershowers two of the last three days in the late afternoon, but they don't cool anything off. They just make the grass grow (I see mowing coming up this weekend.)

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2005, 07:56:53 AM »

I saw that headline about the bombings. Glad no one was hurt, but this stuff is so depressing, and I'm sorry for them.

Jason

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2005, 08:09:11 AM »

For those of you who are unfamiliar with him, here is a photo of Mr. Cheyenne Jackson - the lovely, lovely man DR Jose and I saw in ALL SHOOK UP last night.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2005, 08:09:53 AM »

DR MBarnum, here are the links you asked for.  It is the canoe jam site.

Here is the main link:
http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/TV_Shows/B/BigBrother6/home.html

From there you click on the big brother 6 chat icon on the right.

That will give you today's chat.  But click on "today's transcript". It is much easier to follow (otherwise if he's updating the chat, it will move fast).

You can't just save the "today's transcript" link because he archives them after a few days (you can click on archives to see what he's done).

This is today's transcript's link which is good for today (and yesterday and the day before):

http://rapids.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/NewChat/NC-transcript.pl?CHAT_NAME=BigBrother6-04&WATCHER_ID=1717036&ACTION=TRANSCRIPT&LAST=999999
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 08:10:24 AM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2005, 08:15:04 AM »

Cheyenne Jackson is indeed very easy on the eyes. Love that strong chin.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2005, 08:42:51 AM »

Thanks Jennifer! That link is wonderful! Lots of fun info!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2005, 08:43:46 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

Newts, goldfish, parakeets, rabbits - all lovely exotic pets.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2005, 08:45:30 AM »

While growing up, we had fish (mostly tetras) and parakeets.  I don't remember much about them, really.

The major pet in our house was Shortz, the miniature daschund.  My mother was terrified by large dogs, and even getting her to accept Shortz took some doing (although, once that barrier was breached they were very close).  At one point during high school, my sister built a maze and brought a white mouse into the house.  Shortz knew that the mouse was there, and every chance he got would try to "investigate."  Even after the mouse was long gone, he would try to check the shelf where my sister had kept him.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2005, 08:45:39 AM »

Does anyone have a good dead parakeet joke?  I love to torture Steven Noopoot on ratm with dead parakeet jokes.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2005, 08:51:02 AM »

Der Brucer could tell you, of course, about a snake and a very large rat that his children had as pets.  It all sounds very Harry Potter, if you ask me.

And there were the cockatiels, Mucker and Simon, that we owned when der B and I first got together.  Not very friendly birds, in fact downright nasty.  Fortunately I wasn't into cooking at the time, but I doubt they would have tasted good.   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2005, 08:53:08 AM »

Today is National Junk Food Day.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2005, 08:55:59 AM »

When we were kids, we had a pet alligator for a short while (actually a kaiman? caiman? is what it actually was) until it got too big to live in the small fish tank it was in and would get out.  Now that I think about it, I have no idea what happened to it or how my parents got rid of it.  I don't think I want to know.  It never had a name and I was never particularly attached to it.  Repitiles are not my thing.

We would also collect tadpoles from the local pond when young and put them in a fish tank.  When they would get their back legs, they would jump out of the tank and you would find them dead on the kitchen floor the next morning.  I think they eventually got released back into the wild.

We had baby chicks one Easter.  As they got older, they were given to a local farmer.

We also had three ducks which were eventually given to the Cincinnati Zoo.  I think we got them in memory of Pecky, which was a duck we had in Pennsylvania when I was very young.  Years after we had moved away, we heard from the people who had taken Pecky that he had died, defending his family from a marauding racoon.

We also at various times have had parakeets that my mother mostly kept in her kindergarten class.  Tarzan (there was a Jane) was a very good dice-thrower.

The Lovely Wife had finches for awhile,  starting out with Applegate and Lola...and then a series of wives for Applegate after Lola bit the dust.  The last of his wives..an awful shrew...died in an earthquake from shock.  We didn't mourn her...she was an a "filthy, disgusting bird."   It was the only damage we had in the earthquake.  Applegate got out of his cage one day and Humbug, our cocker at the time, got him in her mouth.  Though I manage to extricate him, he died moments later, either of shock or a puncture wound.

Those were our exotic pets...you've heard all about the various dogs...Hotspur, Humbug, Cully, and Tewkesbury...in the past and, of course, the cat, Mosby the Grey Ghost.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2005, 09:02:01 AM »

I must say I've been getting some lovely e-mails re New Guy in Town.  People seem to really be enjoying it.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2005, 09:04:50 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2005, 09:05:53 AM »

I have not listened to my new CDs yet; we always save new CDs for a road trip. I should plan a road trip.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2005, 09:06:02 AM »

Now you're talking!!!
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2005, 09:08:07 AM »

So for lunch, I'm having goldfish (the Pepperidge Farm kind, not the TOD kind).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up