News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AHA  (Read 32651 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:AHA
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2005, 11:48:33 AM »

Jrand, the point is I don't want to categorize the book.  It's a novel, and one I hope everyone will enjoy.  Perhaps I'll post Rupert's blurb when I return.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2005, 11:49:11 AM »

August is National Catfish Month.

It is also National Water Quality Month.

Interesting juxtaposition.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2005, 12:06:06 PM »

Peter O'Toole & Richard Burton are probably the two most screwed actors when it comes to Oscar.

Cliff Robertson's Oscar I've always found a bad choice...especially when almost everyone else in the category that year would have been a better choice...O'Toole for Lion In Winter; Alan Arkin for The Heart is the the Lonely Hunter; Alan Bates for The Fixer; Ron Moody for Oliver.

I would have preferred Kirk Douglas for Lust for Life over Yul Brynner in The King and I.  I thought The Grifters should have won a couple for acting roles.  And , no, Titanic shouldn't have come close to beating out LA Confidential.  An utterly absurd choice!

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »

DR PennyO, my thoughts are with you.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2005, 12:19:11 PM »

Funny man and comedy writer, Pat McCormack, died today.  He was an hilarious staple on Carson and so many other shows.  A very funny man with most bizarre sense of humour.

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2005, 12:21:59 PM »

DR Cillaliz, thanks for the BB6 updates earlier. I really enjoyed them.  If you ever watch the live feeds again, be sure to post if anything interesting happens.

FJL

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2005, 12:27:41 PM »

I think the sweep for THE PRODUCERS at the Tonys was not entirely unearned, but I thought the result of Cady Huffman winning over Kathleen Freeman (and Polly Bergen and Mary Testa for that matter) almost qualifies as tragic.  OK, I'm being a little bit of a drama queen about it, and I DO love Cady Huffman as a performer, but Kathleen Freeman should have gotten it both for her performance and her legacy.  Obviously, it's always a matter of being in the right show at the right time, but I thought Freeman was giving one of those once-in-a-lifetime performances in FULL MONTY, or at least was at the performance I saw.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2005, 12:44:53 PM »

I think the sweep for THE PRODUCERS at the Tonys was not entirely unearned, but I thought the result of Cady Huffman winning over Kathleen Freeman (and Polly Bergen and Mary Testa for that matter) almost qualifies as tragic.  OK, I'm being a little bit of a drama queen about it, and I DO love Cady Huffman as a performer, but Kathleen Freeman should have gotten it both for her performance and her legacy.  Obviously, it's always a matter of being in the right show at the right time, but I thought Freeman was giving one of those once-in-a-lifetime performances in FULL MONTY, or at least was at the performance I saw.

FJL, I have to agree with you.  I saw the original cast of The Producers and thoroughly enjoyed the show and the performances.  Cady Huffman was great in the role, but I feel that any number of actresses could have done the same.  Kathleen Freeman or Polly Bergen would have been my choices that year.  Bergen was the best thing in that revival of Follies.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 12:45:21 PM by TPunk »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2005, 12:48:01 PM »

Yeah!  My name in the papers again!  ;)

And for once, it's not restraining papers! :-*
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2005, 12:56:13 PM »

Funny man and comedy writer, Pat McCormack, died today.  He was an hilarious staple on Carson and so many other shows.  A very funny man with most bizarre sense of humour.

He's the guy with the big moustache right?  Didin't he streak during one of Carson's monolugues back during the big streaking rage  in the mid 70's?   He did some Gong Show stuff too didn't he?

If that's the same guy , I am sorry to hear of it he was a funny guy.  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2005, 12:58:18 PM »

TPunk... I am catching up (slowly) on my E & T days amd was sorry to hear about your "early dismissal"  have you started collecting empty liquor bottles yet for the Grand Finale?

vixmom

« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2005, 01:08:04 PM »

My Accomplishments in Canada:

read "The Other Bolyen Girl" by Philipa Gregory historical fiction ( I recommend it)

read "Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince" (as did the Vixter... the jury is mixed on this ...the Vixter loved it right up until the unfortunate demise of a beloved person... I am not sure HOW I feel about this one... I think I need a reread)

Read "Kate Remembered" by Scott Berg it should have been titled "Look how many important people I know"

read 'American Gods" by Neil Gaiman a very odd, interesting book that I don't even know how to catergorize its fiction/fantasy/sciencefiction but very readable... I also enjoyed his book "Neverwhere" which I read last year

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2005, 01:08:18 PM »

Cabaret chanteuse Hildegarde also died this weekend.  She was 99.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2005, 01:10:08 PM »

I am listening to After the ball for the 2nd time now....bk why don't you print the lyrics for those of us who are working with ears still not quite right after all those darn plane rides?  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2005, 01:11:06 PM »

Here is blurb number two - I think dear reader Pogue will be most amused at the last line:

“Watch out, cruel world. Bruce is on the loose, and this time he's out for blood. That Marcel Proust of the 1950s, our Jean Shepard of the Twenty-First Century, now looks back in hilarious anger to just yesterday, when all our troubles seemed not far away. With the subterfuge of a Kasparov and the pungency of a Kerouac, show biz sleuth Kimmel takes us down a mysterious road, one he knows so well that he painted the double line down the middle. Once again, Bruce Kimmel proves to be a master of fiendish mystery as well as fondest memory. Be entertained. Be very entertained.”

Rupert Holmes
Multiple Edgar and Tony award-winning author of
The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Accomplice, Where the Truth Lies, and Swing

Jason

« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2005, 01:11:53 PM »

I saw THE PRODUCERS when Matthew and Nathan made their triumphal return. I didn't see what the big deal was. Nothing about the show really bowled me over - except maybe "Springtime for Hitler" which I could already watch at home on film - so I was a little confused as to why it won everything.

I feel like Rachel York was egregiously overlooked in VICTOR/VICTORIA. Sure, she was apeing Leslie Ann Warren, but DAMN! she was funny!

And, of course, DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES sadly didn't take home any awards or nominations. What a travesty. ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 01:13:58 PM by Jason »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2005, 01:15:31 PM »

I agree about John Wayne. Best Actor - never. I could have lived with a special award for a lifetime spent in the movies, but I think O'Toole deserved it that year for GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS. Over the years, I've come to find Hoffman and Voight's work in MIDNIGHT COWBOY a little too actory for my taste. They both earned Oscars for much better work later in their careers.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2005, 01:16:59 PM »

Here is blurb number two - I think dear reader Pogue will be most amused at the last line:

“Watch out, cruel world. Bruce is on the loose, and this time he's out for blood. That Marcel Proust of the 1950s, our Jean Shepard of the Twenty-First Century, now looks back in hilarious anger to just yesterday, when all our troubles seemed not far away. With the subterfuge of a Kasparov and the pungency of a Kerouac, show biz sleuth Kimmel takes us down a mysterious road, one he knows so well that he painted the double line down the middle. Once again, Bruce Kimmel proves to be a master of fiendish mystery as well as fondest memory. Be entertained. Be very entertained.”

Rupert Holmes
Multiple Edgar and Tony award-winning author of
The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Accomplice, Where the Truth Lies, and Swing

Excellent! And yes, was it not our own  DR Pogue who coined the phrase  "be afraid, be very afraid"?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2005, 01:17:02 PM »

Vixmom, I also have mixed feelings about The Half Blood Prince.  Up until the final chapters, I didn't find this one the page turner that the other books have been.  On the other hand, Rowling's writing has never been better.  

I'm a big Neil Gaiman fan, too.  I think you and the Vixter would also enjoy his Coraline, which is a very bizzare take on Alice Through The Looking Glass.  He also has a new novel coming out this fall.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2005, 01:18:17 PM »

I still prefer RAGTIME to THE LION KING as Best Musical of that season, too.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2005, 01:19:29 PM »

TPunk... I am catching up (slowly) on my E & T days amd was sorry to hear about your "early dismissal"  have you started collecting empty liquor bottles yet for the Grand Finale?

Thanks Vixmom.  No empty liquor bottles  ;) but I am hoping that my exit interview with my boss's boss tomorrow morning has a similar effect.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2005, 01:19:34 PM »

I read the obit and mentioned it yesterday.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2005, 01:19:51 PM »

Now, that's a blurb that will reel them in!
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2005, 01:23:05 PM »

I really had no problem with any of the awards won by THE PRODUCERS except Cady Huffman's. I feel exactly the same; she was fine, but it was a role any number of actresses could have done just as well. She didn't bring anything special to it. Kathleen Freeman's was a one-of-a-kind performance. Irreplaceable.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2005, 01:25:54 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, The Producers was the show that saved musical theatre for me.  I had been sour on B'way musical for a few years (Titanic and Side Show had just about done me in.)  But then along came Bialy and company, and I've been a fan ever since.  I was lucky enough to see the original cast twice, and both times I came away aching from laughing.  I play the recording incessantly and never tire of it.  I think it deserved every Tony that it won, hands down.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2005, 01:28:54 PM »

The heat has come back to us with a vengeance. Almost 90 today and very humid.

Oh, well, I did enjoy it while it lasted.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »

Yes, I saw the obit for Hildegarde yesterday, too, but I didn't write about it. Another old timer gone from our midsts. Sad.

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2005, 01:32:40 PM »

Watched more MARY TYLER MOORE episodes today. Lisa Gerritsen who played Phyllis' daughter Bess was a very good child actress.

After PHYLLIS went off the air, did she do any other acting? I never see her in any adult roles.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2005, 01:37:19 PM »

Yes, WEHT Lisa Gerritson.  I also believe she was in that Thurber show, My World and Welcome To It with William Windom.

We need us some Lisa Gerritson, damn it all.

vixmom

« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2005, 01:41:24 PM »

Vixmom, I also have mixed feelings about The Half Blood Prince.  Up until the final chapters, I didn't find this one the page turner that the other books have been.  On the other hand, Rowling's writing has never been better.  

I'm a big Neil Gaiman fan, too.  I think you and the Vixter would also enjoy his Coraline, which is a very bizzare take on Alice Through The Looking Glass.  He also has a new novel coming out this fall.

I share the Gaiman books with the Mr. (well actually they're HIS I kinda take them when he puts them down which REALLY annoys him)

I enjoyed the writing and the pages did turn pretty fast... (of course we were trapped on various segments a 12 hour flight) but the Vixter started reading  the book at  6 AM  7/16 and was done with it by noon on Sunday the 17th  and read the first few chapters when she chanced to put the book down  (that REALLY annoys her)  and then I started reading it in earnest on Monday and had it done pretty much by Tuesday morning

I am just not sure I liked the turns the book was taking although I am very intrigued by the "Snape chapters" in the beginning and have a theory that he has made more than one of those "vows" if you get my drift.....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up