Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IF IT'S WEDNESDAY IT MUST BE WEDNESDAY  (Read 32964 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:IF IT'S WEDNESDAY IT MUST BE WEDNESDAY
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2005, 12:13:45 PM »

Ok having read the article, te rebuttal the postings

Can dear Mr. BK or any one else explain to me why West Side Story is a musical and Wicked is not?

Both have storylines, both have songs that advance that storyline, both have dancing...

Uh, uh, uh uh!  According to Mssr. LaChiusa, Wicked just has dancing, while  West Side Story had Choreography (and you must say Choreography with rolling R's.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2005, 12:14:01 PM »

Bruce and FJL congratulations on your exciting news. :D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2005, 12:16:20 PM »

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2005, 12:18:01 PM »

DR MB--we can share the ride there.  We can use the car pool lane!
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2005, 12:19:13 PM »

DR Jrand: Is that Pippin or Louis in the mesh shirt?

Jennifer

« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2005, 12:20:35 PM »

And do you think that a plastic surgeon should write an AMA article, praising himself and naming colleagues he considers faux-surgeons or people whose work clearly fails to meet his artistic, if questionable, standards?

I don't think it's fair to compare musical theatre to doctors, since their jobs involve saving lives.

I do see your point though.  Maybe a person should not criticize their entire profession.  However, I think that he has the right to say what he thinks of musical theatre.  And I don't think he  praised himself.

Obviously when names are named, then people's feelings get hurt.  I don't think that was the intention.

Anyhow it's not about agreeing or disagreeing with the points.  Like I said, I think that there are many kinds of musicals that are good.  But it is an interesting point to consider feel good musicals vs thought provoking ones.

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2005, 12:21:08 PM »

Thanks for the photos DR Jose! And the very hairy eye candy! My favorite flavor! LOL!

Ben

« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2005, 12:22:01 PM »

FJL, I found this quote, don't know if it's complete or not

It was the kiss that rocked the Tonys. And pissed off Fred Ebb.

"I thought they made spectacle of themselves, frankly," the late Broadway legend grumbled to this publication in 2003, a month after Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, a couple for 25 years, celebrated their Tony win for Hairspray by kissing on national television. "Your bedroom is not the screen."

It comes from an interview with Marc Shaiman in a Gay publication after they won the Tony. Here is a link to the full interview.

http://metroweekly.com/feature/?ak=1700

Jason

« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2005, 12:23:05 PM »

"I thought they made a spectacle of themselves, frankly. ... Your bedroom is not the screen." - Fred Ebb

http://www.metroweekly.com/feature/

MBarnum

« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2005, 12:23:25 PM »

DR Jennifer,

My impression of James is that he would sell Sarah down the river if it would help him in the game. Often when she says she loves him he seems unimpressed, and he constantly expects her to lose competitions and not do well at the game...he just does nothing to support her....as I see it.

Jennifer

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2005, 12:24:03 PM »

Ha ha, poor DR Jose.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2005, 12:26:30 PM »

FJL, I found this quote, don't know if it's complete or not

It was the kiss that rocked the Tonys. And pissed off Fred Ebb.

"I thought they made spectacle of themselves, frankly," the late Broadway legend grumbled to this publication in 2003, a month after Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, a couple for 25 years, celebrated their Tony win for Hairspray by kissing on national television. "Your bedroom is not the screen."

It comes from an interview with Marc Shaiman in a Gay publication after they won the Tony. Here is a link to the full interview.

http://metroweekly.com/feature/?ak=1700

Poor Fred!  He had no room to throw stones.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2005, 12:27:13 PM »

Jason, we must have hit that article at the same time. It's the only reference I can find though I'm sure there are others. I just don't know where to look right now.

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2005, 12:27:46 PM »

DR Jennifer,

My impression of James is that he would sell Sarah down the river if it would help him in the game. Often when she says she loves him he seems unimpressed, and he constantly expects her to lose competitions and not do well at the game...he just does nothing to support her....as I see it.

Wow, I totally don't see it this way.  Maybe people are getting a different impression by solely watching it on tv? (and not following the live feeds?)

I think james is viciously competitive. But I have never seen him anything but loving towards sarah.

They are not really my favorites.  And I agree though, she is bad at the game and at competitions. She is very passive.

So who are your favs? Mine are janelle and kaysar.  I just love her.  She is so smart and competitive.  But she is extremely trustworthy.  She doesn't gossip. And she doesn't go behind people's backs.  I just really like her!

Ben

« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2005, 12:29:22 PM »

I know Mr. Ebb is dead, but I've never understood the concept that it's perfectly acceptable and even encouraged for a straight couple or a husband and wife to kiss when one wins an award, but if a gay couple does, they are "shoving their sex lives down our throats" Umm, if that's the case, then I think the straight couple is doing the same thing.

Jason

« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2005, 12:31:58 PM »

I don't think it's fair to compare musical theatre to doctors, since their jobs involve saving lives.

I do see your point though.  Maybe a person should not criticize their entire profession.  However, I think that he has the right to say what he thinks of musical theatre.  And I don't think he  praised himself.

Obviously when names are named, then people's feelings get hurt.  I don't think that was the intention.

Anyhow it's not about agreeing or disagreeing with the points.  Like I said, I think that there are many kinds of musicals that are good.  But it is an interesting point to consider feel good musicals vs thought provoking ones.

Jennifer - please note that DR Elmore specifically mentioned a plastic surgeon and his/her artistic sensibilites. Except in rare cases, I don't think plastic surgeons actually save lives. They may save a person's mental health, but in a different sense, composers, lyricists, choreographers, directors and performers are all capable of that, as well.

For Mr. LaChuisa to go through and make comments, both generic and specific, about other writer's works, he is in effect implying that his work does not suffer from the foibles of his colleagues.

And honestly, I'm not sure there's any kind of intent other than hurtful, spiteful intent in that article. You do not call out the shortcomings of your colleagues works, naming them by name, point by point, if you do not intend to make a major point. By doing so, I think Mr. LaChuisa may find that he has alienated himself from the very community of which he claims to wish to be a part.

One has to ask, who is he to think he can point out what's wrong with what everyone else's writing? If he knows how to "save" musical theatre from immenent death and destruction, then perhaps he should busy himself with writing "real musicals" rather than scathing articles in Opera News.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 12:40:08 PM by Jason »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2005, 12:32:40 PM »

And do you think that a plastic surgeon should write an AMA article, praising himself and naming colleagues he considers faux-surgeons or people whose work clearly fails to meet his artistic, if questionable, standards?

This is an interesting question. The guy set himself up for the "jealousy" japes. But anyone is allowed to criticize shows they don't like. We do it all the time. I thought BKLYN was a national disgrace, for instance. Wrongheaded and somewhat putrid from the word "go." I don't think I was jealous of it's creators, even though it ran a helluva lot longer than I would have thought possible.

But this guy, because he is himself a creator of some renown will take the heat for his comments. I think it's because it is one thing to criticize a show, another to criticize the heart and the intent of a show's creators. AND, the way he did it almost seemed to lay the blame for Broadway's supposed demise at the feet of a few successful shows and their creators. And it came from a tone of a voice on high, rather than merely one man's opinion.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2005, 12:35:28 PM »

He's a scourge!

I love you DR Jose

:-*

don't listen to  those meanies  :D

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2005, 12:37:02 PM »

Thanks for the photos DR Jose! And the very hairy eye candy! My favorite flavor! LOL!

mine too  ;)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2005, 12:38:24 PM »

I know Mr. Ebb is dead, but I've never understood the concept that it's perfectly acceptable and even encouraged for a straight couple or a husband and wife to kiss when one wins an award, but if a gay couple does, they are "shoving their sex lives down our throats" Umm, if that's the case, then I think the straight couple is doing the same thing.

By the way, Ben, would you mind changing your avatar? It offends me to see two men so closely situated.

vixmom

« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2005, 12:38:31 PM »

Uh, uh, uh uh!  According to Mssr. LaChiusa, Wicked just has dancing, while  West Side Story had Choreography (and you must say Choreography with rolling R's.)

You mean in West Side Story someone told them what dance steps to use and in Wicked they were making it up as they went along?  ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2005, 12:40:57 PM »

Sorry DRs Jason and Elmore, I saw "surgeon". I must have blocked out the "plastic" part! :)  But I still think that plastic surgeons are medical professionals, who while not saving lives, have to be on the ball or people could die.

But as for the "artistic sensibilites", that is a whole other matter.  I guess i totally misread DR Elmore's comparison. Sorry!

Ben

« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2005, 12:41:04 PM »

I'll get back to you on that Rodzinski  ;D

vixmom

« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2005, 12:43:04 PM »

The kissing doesn't bother me... but all those near naked men groping and grabbing each other and rolling around on the floor entwined in eachothers arms  and throwing  each other into into the ropes.... oh wait that's wrestling
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 12:43:59 PM by vixmom »

Jason

« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2005, 12:43:28 PM »

Ha! I wasn't going to comment, but...well...amen, Michael!

Jennifer

« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2005, 12:47:56 PM »

For Mr. LaChuisa to go through and make comments, both generic and specific, about other writer's works, he is in effect implying that his work does not suffer from the foibles of his colleagues.

I'm not sure about this point.

And honestly, I'm not sure there's any kind of intent other than hurtful, spiteful intent in that article. You do not call out the shortcomings of your colleagues works, naming them by name, point by point, if you do not intend to make a major point. By doing so, I think Mr. LaChuisa may find that he has alienated himself from the very community of which he claims to wish to be a part.

I think you make a very good point.  Although I tend to think he was just trying to be honest, rather than hurtful.

He did make some remarks like "no offense meant".

One has to ask, who is he to think he can point out what's wrong with what everyone else's writing? If he knows how to "save" musical theatre from immenent death and destruction, then perhaps he should busy himself with writing "real musicals" rather than scathing articles in Opera News.

Well i'm sure you know that he is busy working on new musicals.

This is sort of odd, because I don't agree with some of what was said in the article.  But I'm just finding it hard to understand why everyone is so upset by what was written.  And for everyone to assume it was written with malicious intent.  

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2005, 12:53:25 PM »

And yes, I know Miss Hayward did some pretty nifty dancing in I'LL CRY TOMORROW....but her numbers in THE CONQUEROR and that Napa Valley Wine Movie are pretty sad....and then there is Helen Lawson....

But oh to have seen her in the Vegas tab company of MAME!!

Front page above the fold!   8)

My, that's a fancy-dress PIPPIN!  Are you interpolating the party scenes from MERRILY?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2005, 12:55:07 PM »

DR Jrand: Is that Pippin or Louis in the mesh shirt?

That is PIPPIN with flat feet and no arch!   ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2005, 12:56:40 PM »

The kissing doesn't bother me... but all those near naked men groping and grabbing each other and rolling around on the floor entwined in eachothers arms  and throwing  each other into into the ropes.... oh wait that's wrestling

DRvixmom, LOL!!! ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2005, 12:57:02 PM »

Jennifer, that article is - to me, at least - the equivalent of Mr. Ned Beatty going to the New York Times and telling them that he thought that his co-stars were no-talent hacks. He said it in a "nice" way ("She is a sweetie, and yet she doesn't have a whole lot of tools. But she works very hard." and "He's gotten better all the time, but his is a different journey."), but it still came off as pompous and shameful.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 12:58:09 PM by Jason »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up