Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IF IT'S WEDNESDAY IT MUST BE WEDNESDAY  (Read 31564 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:IF IT'S WEDNESDAY IT MUST BE WEDNESDAY
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2005, 08:10:09 AM »

Good Morning!

8:14 - Coffee - medium size (16 oz.), French Roast, one sugar, half & half - Check!
8:15 Production Meeting - Check!
9:30 - Production Meeting over - Chat with Workshop Administrator about an "issue" - Check!
10:00 - Start my laundry - Check!
10:05 - Realize one of the machines I put my clothes in does not work.  UGH!  - Check!
10:10 - Get my laundry into a working machine; insert quarters; wait... - Check!
10:15 - Go make my morning oatmeal - Check!
10:50 - Transfer clothes from washer to dryer - Check!

Wait... Surf... Read Notes... Read Posts...

-Exciting, huh?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2005, 08:12:53 AM »

...I had planned to head back to bed after the production since we don't have rehearsal until 1:30, but I decided I should be productive, so I am...

-Oh, cool!  I'm currently listening to a very groovy version of "Harlem Nocturne" by Paul Phillips and His Band on spaceagepop.com.  -I really am digging this internet radio station.

But I digress...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 08:13:57 AM »

Oohh...

I had been hearing about the whole LaChiusa/Shaiman "thing", but I have yet to read the actual writings.

Any links?  -Before I Google for myself.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 08:16:28 AM »

BK - Great news about The Last Starfighter!  We were all talking about it this past weekend - the production, not the recording - since Mizer and Moore know Fred and Skip.  Maybe you could make it a Dual Disc release and present a video clip of the picnic table-cum-starfighter!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 08:22:03 AM »

Question for BK:  When I upload a CD to myPod, iTunes does an automatic grab for track information from a website called Gracenote CDDB.  How does this info initially get out there?  Did you or someone with Kritzerland contact Gracenote and supply the track info for the new releases?  Did an anonymous someone out there inadvertently upload the info because he or she was the first one to play the CD through iTunes?  Just curious.

Since I've looked into this due to my own curiosity...

Gracenote receives it's information from a couple of sources - official and unofficial.  They will draw info from record company press releases, databases, published info, etc.  Some of it is drawn from the Muze database, Amazon.com, and other online retailers.  However, some information is also provided by people who access the site.  When the first Sondheim Sings volume came out, there was no "official" information provided at the time, and some people submitted the information.  -Which is why sometimes some records will have multiple choices/answers - a bunch of classical stuff is this way due to changing record labels, different packaging in different companies, etc.

I believe Windows Media Player accesses another database for it's info, Muze possibly.

Hope that answers your question.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2005, 08:22:57 AM »

DR elmore - Thanks for the DR Joey report.  Do you have plans to take him to Artie's and/or Beard Papa?

Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2005, 08:23:01 AM »

DR Jose, it's on All That Chat.  It's probably still there (the LaChiusa/Shaiman thingie you're referring to).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2005, 08:23:56 AM »

DR Jose, it's on All That Chat.  It's probably still there (the LaChiusa/Shaiman thingie you're referring to).

Thanks - I'll check it out in a few...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2005, 08:25:28 AM »

Hmmm... A spoonful of vanilla ice cream in and with my after dinner coffee...

Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2005, 08:25:35 AM »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2005, 08:27:00 AM »

Since I've looked into this due to my own curiosity...

Gracenote receives it's information from a couple of sources - official and unofficial.  They will draw info from record company press releases, databases, published info, etc.  Some of it is drawn from the Muze database, Amazon.com, and other online retailers.  However, some information is also provided by people who access the site.  When the first Sondheim Sings volume came out, there was no "official" information provided at the time, and some people submitted the information.  -Which is why sometimes some records will have multiple choices/answers - a bunch of classical stuff is this way due to changing record labels, different packaging in different companies, etc.

I believe Windows Media Player accesses another database for it's info, Muze possibly.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks, DR Jose, it does.   :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2005, 08:28:47 AM »

Re: last night's Big Brother and a bit of LIVE FEED TALK.

It was a good show.  And they pretty much kept up-to-date on all the goings on. Although they left out the part about April/Jen changing their mind on voting out Ivette.

On the show they showed that April/Jen went to Howie/Janelle/Rachel and made a deal to vote out Ivette instead of Sarah (since james took himself off the block).   But they DID NOT show april/jen blabbing to maggie and then changing their mind.

I really hope that there is some way that Ivette can go. I haven't read today's live feed updates. So hopefully something interesting happened last night.

Btw, i'm curious to know what you guys think of the veto competition.

Let me explain for those who didn't see the show.  There are 6 competitors (james, sarah, jen, ivette, howie, rachel). Each have 10 candies that they must put in the other competitors' pinatas.  But they cannot know what the others have done.  The winner is the closest to 20 without going over. And you have to give candies to at least 2 people.

Now nobody wanted james to get it (or sarah i guess).  But he won.  Now my first thought would have been not to put any in their pinatas. And my second thought would be to put 9 in james'.  WEll it was such a hodge podge. Everyone was second guessing themselves. And it turned out that only one of the 4 (ivette) put 9 in james' pinata.

What would you guys have done?

Jason

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2005, 08:30:47 AM »

I read Mr. Shaiman's rebuttal and I applaud it. I've always found MJL to be pretentious and I find it to be in bad taste to 'dis' another composer's work in such a public forum. There's just no call for that.

I've just spend the last hour "discussing" the layout of the Brady Family House with a co-worker. After a 40+ minute "discussion" that ultimately included 3 more of my co-workers, I finally put an end to it. I told my co-worker that if this was just about being right about something that is ultimately pretty stupid, then fine - he's right and that's the end of the conversation. That shut him up.

I'm getting ballsy in my old age. ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 08:33:53 AM by Jason »

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2005, 08:33:05 AM »

Here is a link to the LaChiusa article

http://www.metoperafamily.org/operanews/issue/article.aspx?id=1261&issueID=50

Thanks for the link, i hadn't see the article yet.  Although I think DR Jose was talking about the comments Mr. Shaiman (HAIRSPRAY) made on all that chat about the article.  

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2005, 08:34:33 AM »

Greetings all....

BB6:  I gotta say that after reading some of the reports on this here site, I wasn't really surprised at anything I saw last night.  I will say however -- and I don't think that this is any sort of a spoiler -- that the dynamics of James and Sarah's relationship are interesting, to say the least.  I find her quite the whiner.  And if April didn't truly bother me before, she does now.

And so help me G-d if Kayser isn't the one voted back in.......

I know what you mean. If Kaysar isn't voted back I will be mad!

And I agree, April is driving me crazy.

However, I don't find Sarah and James relationship to be "interesting". In what way? He is sly as a fox. But he seems genuinely loving to her.  HE has not gone behind her back or tried to screw her over.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2005, 08:35:54 AM »

DR elmore - Thanks for the DR Joey report.  Do you have plans to take him to Artie's and/or Beard Papa?

Well, we've been to Ollie's for some good Chinese cuisine, but he's off on his own today.  I know he's got dinner plans, and I don't know if I'll see him until after THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA.  Artie's and Beard Papa's may have to wait for your food tour with him when he's back again.   I think tomorrow we may hit Academy for used CDs and try to catch a show; he definitely will, but I wouldn't mind seeing something.  

As to the Shaiman-LaChiusa battle, it was started by a petty, ugly article by LaChius in the new OPERA NEWS called "The Great Gray Way," in which LaChiusa calls HAIRSPRAY and THE PRODUCERS faux musicals, puts down their creators' intentions and generally, out of jealousy I believe, kicks the shows and their writerts for not being the artiste LaChiusa is.  Having seen several LaChiusa shows, I'd rather see THE PRODUCERS or HAIRSPRAY any day.  Marc has written a justifiably angy, but very funny and sharp rebuttal.  Marc Shaiman is someone I'm quite fond of and I say good for Marc!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2005, 08:36:24 AM »

You can read a lot more about what Marc (and others) has to say to MJL here

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=862550&dt=081005105009

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2005, 08:37:06 AM »

DR George - no relation to Tina Landau or Martin Landau.  

But I did once - otherwise inexplicably - get put in prime seats for a sold out show and couldn't figure it out, until we realized that Tina Landau was the director.  I guess the box office in looking over the names on the ticket-buyers list figured I had the same last name, so I MIGHT be a relative, so they must have decided not to take a chance and put us in phenomenal seats.  :)

One of the perks! ;) Thanks for the info.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2005, 08:37:53 AM »

I agree Stuart, Sarah and James' reletionship seems one sided to me and I do believe that Sarah will have quite an eye opener once they are both out of the house.

I do so hope to see Kaysar walk back into the BB6 house! But I am very curious to know why Rachel and Howie voted him out, rather then Janelle. I am sure it was a difficult choice for them, but I would love to know the reason.

Maybe you can also explain why you think their relationship is one sided.  I don't think sarah will see much that she doesn't already know. In fact i think james has been quite loving in his diary room sessions.

Well both kaysar and janelle were/are on howie and rachel's team.  I guess they knew their votes would not count, and they decided to go with the majority. Most people in BB don't like to stir the pot!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2005, 08:39:18 AM »

Well, since I remembered that I'm registered on the Met website...

Read and noted.

Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2005, 08:52:11 AM »

MJL's atacks on those musicals (and on Susan Stoman and Jerry Mitchell) seemed like so much sour grapes to me, and I greatly enjoyed Marc's rebuttal.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2005, 08:52:54 AM »

Michael Riedel also had a piece about it in the POST.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2005, 08:53:02 AM »

..Just spent the past few minutes reading Marc Shaiman's rebuttal and other various responses...

Bravo, Mr. Shaiman!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2005, 08:53:09 AM »

I just spoke to Marc and he sent he his official "final" rebuttal.  If anyone wants it, send me your email in a PM amd I'll send it to you.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2005, 08:53:41 AM »

And does BK, Elmore, or any other DRs here have any comments about the brouhaha going on with John Michael LaChuisa's negative piece in OPERA NEWS about current Broadway musical comedies and Marc Shaiman's rebuttal?

I think LaChiusa's article was written from bowls of sour grapes.  The entire piece reeks of envy.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2005, 08:54:17 AM »

I agree Stuart, Sarah and James' reletionship seems one sided to me and I do believe that Sarah will have quite an eye opener once they are both out of the house.

I do so hope to see Kaysar walk back into the BB6 house! But I am very curious to know why Rachel and Howie voted him out, rather then Janelle. I am sure it was a difficult choice for them, but I would love to know the reason.

First, about "eye-openers", I can't wait for the "Eric disciples" to see the footage we saw of Eric's doings.  And I would love to be a fly on the wall when they hear how ridiculous the other houseguests (i.e., the "outcasts") found their slavish devotion to the short, overmuscled Mussolini-wannabe.

As for the voting when Kaysar left.  Recall that James was initially on the block with Kaysar and he was the "intended" target of Maggie's group.  When James won the Golden Veto, they had to put up another "outcast" and the obvious choice was Janelle since she was Kaysar's partner (they adopted one another after their partners left).  Janelle's nomination was Maggie's signal that she wanted Kaysar to be gone.  Since the votes were there to evict Kaysar, I think the others decided to cast their votes against Kaysar to support Janelle.  Only James voted for Janelle to leave.

I, too, cannot wait for Kaysar to walk through those doors.

And I have my fingers tightly crossed that James or Janelle (or Kaysar, if he's eligible) wins HOH Thursday night.

I don't know who I want to see on the block the most...Maggie or April, Jenn or Ivette.  As long as they go up and out.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 09:09:44 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2005, 08:54:30 AM »

Yes, I think that's great news about THE LAST STARFIGHTER. Is there hope of the show going to Broadway?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2005, 08:55:17 AM »

...And I certainly play a lot more songs from Andrew Lippa's Wild Party than Michael John LaChiusa's at auditions...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2005, 08:56:09 AM »

Personally, I don't like anything MJLC has created and I often wonder why Marc Shaimen hasn't written more for the stage.

Jason

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2005, 08:56:20 AM »

Basically, it would seem that MJL put down everyone who has a show currently running on B'way, with the exception of pal Adam Guettel. He even found a way to put down the work of Tony Kushner and Jeanine Tesori, though by his own admission, CAROLINE, OR CHANGE was the closest thing he could find to a "real" musical.

Sorry, LaChiusa - I'd rather sit through HAIRSPRAY or MAMMA MIA! any day over MARIE CHRISTINE. Maybe that makes me a theatrical layman - I don't know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up