Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JAM-PACKED AND JELLY-FILLED WEEK  (Read 21992 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE JAM-PACKED AND JELLY-FILLED WEEK
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2005, 10:32:25 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

I wonder if I can guess which conductor elmore is talking about?  

Du-Par's' pancakes were recently voted the best in the United States by Esquire Magazine.  

I'd go over there right now, but you can't get in on Sunday before two without waiting for 30 to 60 minutes.  Even yesterday when Tammy and mum and I went, we had to wait 25 minutes, and that has never happened on a Saturday before.  Methinks the sheep are in season.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2005, 10:39:47 AM »

Hisaka, unfortunately I don’t have a photo, on the computer, of our Bosco.  She was a perfect example of a tortoiseshell and white cat, affectionately known as torti & white.  A tortoiseshell doesn’t have the large patches of white.  

I will post more detail & photos, if I can manage them.

Tortoiseshell is usually darker, and more brown, than tabby, which is more orange.

On dogs, the color is called "brindle."  See pic of Peggy, to the left.  (The one being held; the holder is run-of-the-mill grey.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2005, 10:46:07 AM »

Oh my, the IHOP!
I can remember the original IHOP, when it opened in Toluca Lake.  (That's a fancy name for Burbank, by the way, or a section of Burbank not too far from the movie studios.)

Toluca Lake is also responsible for Bob's Big Boy, if I remember correctly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2005, 10:58:42 AM »

A branch of IHOP has opened near where der B and I live.  We haven't been in, though; der B feels they've watered down the product over the last several years by focusing on dinners and lunches, and their breakfasts have fallen from the earlier standard.  I tend to agree with him.  Besides, we can get a pretty good breakfast over at the Rehoboth Diner, which is a lot closer to our house.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2005, 10:59:39 AM »

The last cat photo came from a card company with a selection of cat, dog, and personalized photo cards: http://cats.about.com/od/felinegenetics/a/colorpatterns_2.htm

Td check out the Siberian Husky puppy.

FJL

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2005, 11:02:25 AM »

I almost forgot the incredible Ann Sather restaurant in Chicago.  I can't even remember what I had there, just that whenever anyone mentions Chicago (the city, not the show), I think of Ann Sather.

For breakfast experiences, I have to mention the Dsiney character breakfast at the Cinderella Castle at Disney World.  We were with a three-year-old, so the characters kept stopping by, and that somehow made the food taste even better.  

Jane

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2005, 11:03:55 AM »

I just finished my breakfast of a soft boiled egg, toasted egg bagel-lightly buttered and hot chocolate made with steamed milk.

Other favorites, Keith’s matzo-brie, French toast made with egg bread, Belgian waffles, pancakes with boysenberry syrup and tofu scramble

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2005, 11:08:53 AM »

Alton Brown has three Breakfast Eats volumes on the Good Eats DVDs.  Volume one includes the episodes "True Brew" (coffee), "The Egg Files I" (scrambled eggs, eggs over easy and lemon curd), and "Flap Jack Do It Again" (pancakes).  Breakfast Eats 2 includes "Oat Cuisine" (oatmeal), "Yogurt: Good Milk Gone Bad", and "True Brew II: Mr. Tea."

I'm not sure what is included on volume three, but should know soon; der B is giving me the latest (not last) nine discs for my 52nd, doleing them out three at a time, just to entice me!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2005, 11:10:36 AM »

Very hazy today in the City of Studio.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2005, 11:11:46 AM »

[size=20]TOFU SCRAMBLE???[/size]

:-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2005, 11:13:23 AM »

Time to get ready for work!

It's been sauna-like here in Rehoboth all week.  Working inside is a blessing.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2005, 11:18:06 AM »

Mother's has the best tofu scramble, tofu (of course) with caramelized walla walla onions, cheese and a mix of other delicious veggies & tasty seasonings. :)

Jason

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2005, 11:26:36 AM »

DR FJL: I've never been "too cool" in any aspect of my life, so I've always just called it a Croissan'wich. The only thing I've EVER been too cool to order by name is the Moons Over My Hammy at Denny's. I refuse to do it and I laugh in the direction of anyone who does. It's just too campy for words.

All the talk last week of CARNIVAL inspired me to go out and borrow a cast recording to give it a listen. What a loverly score! I'm about to go to ibdb.com and find out the scoop on that show. Any insights from DRs would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about its history...

Jason

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2005, 11:35:29 AM »

ibdb.com is worthless if you're actually trying to research a show. I'm ashamed to say that I actually found a nice synopsis at Tams-Witmark's website, so I suppose that will suffice. CARNIVAL sounds like a gem of a show. I wish I could see a fully-staged production.

Jason

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2005, 11:40:15 AM »

By-the-by, according to AOL last night, the high today was supposed to be 87F. Right this second it is 95F and weather.com indicates the heat index is 106F. Way to go, AOL!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 11:43:08 AM by Jason »

Jason

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2005, 11:40:44 AM »

I Am My Own Mini-Frenzy!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2005, 11:52:50 AM »

Every time that I've ordered a Croissan'wich, when they announce it over the speaker to their kitchen area, they've always called it a croissant.  Maybe it's a local thing, but I've always wondered about that.  Why would Burger King go through the trouble of creating a trademarked word (and product, the "Croissan'wich") and then their staff not use it?  Just wondering. ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 11:53:25 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2005, 11:58:51 AM »

Lots of fun! Thank you for the great photos, DR MBarnum. Ms. Shirly Jones looks CUTE! She must have completely forgetten to get old for these twenty years.

What a delightful way to phrase it, Hisaka!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2005, 12:15:42 PM »

Okay, I'm hungry.  Off to breakfast, since that's the Topic of the Day.  It might as well be the food for the day...the entire day! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2005, 12:29:41 PM »

All this talk of breakfast made me realizie that all I have had this morning was coffee.  Well, since I have no breakfast fixings in the house, I settled for a pint of Ben & Jerry's Fudge Central.

In the morning hours (before noon), I usually stay away from sweet breakfasts (pancakes, French toast), preferring omelets or egg scrambles.  And breakfast isn't breakfast without gravy on my hashbrowns, with enough gravy leftover to dunk my toast in it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2005, 12:40:06 PM »

DR Jane, if you look on page 8 of yesterday's posts you will see the pic of dog Koda.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2005, 01:00:36 PM »

The mind can really play funny tricks. I was so surprised in watching THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY this afternoon that there weren't more flashbacks in the film. I seemed to remember every passenger having a flashback story, and actually there were far fewer than I remembered there being.

Very enjoyable and very nostalgic seeing this film. And John Wayne must have given all his old Hollywood cronies a day or two of work on the picture because it was a veritable parade of Hollywood character actors from beginning to end. Even when one didn't remember a name, the face or voice sounded warmly familiar, like an old friend saying hello.

And yep, I had tears in my eyes as people departed the plane at the end.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 01:02:44 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2005, 01:12:59 PM »

I can tell you that Anna Maria Alberghetti had a sizzling feud with David Merrick shortly into the run of CARNIVAL! and she left the production for a time. Not that Merrick was any saint, but word was that Anna Maria was quite the diva and in an era where folks like Merman and Martin never missed a performance, she was bad about missing shows. Several young actresses of the time played Lili during the run including Susan Watson, Anita Gilette, and even Anna Maria's sister Carla.

CARNIVAL was one of those shows that opened too late to be included in the Tony Awards of the year when BYE BYE BIRDIE won the award. I suspect it might have had a better chance of winning Best Musical that season than in the following one when it lost to HOW TO SUCCEED.
It did win the New York Drama Critics Circle's Best Musical prize.

It was an utterly beguiling show. Glorious and exciting to a young person watching it (I suspect it was to me what ANNIE was for a later generation of youngsters going to the theater.), I remember not wanting it to end. (But I've been that way my entire life about shows I was loving. Had the same reaction at the end of SPELLING BEE two weeks ago.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2005, 01:17:01 PM »

I still haven't done anything about breakfast.  It's late enough now to go to Du-Par's, I think, but I'm not sure if there's anyone to go with, and I don't like sitting by myself.  So, if I can't rustle up some company, I may go to Gelson's and buy some bacon and just make myself a big ol' breakfast right in the home environment.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2005, 01:18:40 PM »

While I was cooking my lunch, I put in the DVD of GYPSY (1962). I hadn't watched this since getting my latest set, and I was astonished how gorgeous the transfer for GYPSY was. If I hadn't been so anxious to see THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY, I probably would have watched GYPSY in its entirety.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2005, 01:20:15 PM »

In preparation for writing my High and the Mighty review for Scarlet Street, I listened to a little of the Leonard Maltin-led commentary track.  I had to shut it off after Mr. Maltin's brilliantly informative comment, "And there he is, John Wayne."  What would we do without these commentary tracks, I ask you?

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2005, 01:22:19 PM »

THE HIGYH AND THE MIGHTY looked surprisingly good, too. I had read a review somewhere that said the movie was brought back from near ruin, and if that's true, some restoration team did a crackerjack job. Though some long shots looked kind of grainy and a bit out of focus, all of the interior shots were sharp and the whole thing seemed totally free of debris found on most films this old. I hope the DVD sells well enough to have made the restoration worth the effort and money.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2005, 01:23:45 PM »

In preparation for writing my High and the Mighty review for Scarlet Street, I listened to a little of the Leonard Maltin-led commentary track.  I had to shut it off after Mr. Maltin's brilliantly informative comment, "And there he is, John Wayne."  What would we do without these commentary tracks, I ask you?

On some movies I'll listen to the commentary (like HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE most recently), but I really had no interest in a commentary for this one.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2005, 01:26:44 PM »

When THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY concluded, I loaded in another lengthy opus, JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG. I've always loved this movie, had it on laserdisc for years, but this is my first viewing of the DVD.

Of course, MGM as usual hasn't done an anamorphic transfer, merely being content with a letterbox, but it looks fine thus far. Didn't get very far in before I shut the equipment off. The skies were darkening and I knew a storm was approaching. It's here now, and it's a whopper.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 01:28:44 PM by Matt H. »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up