Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BROKEN RECORDS  (Read 21313 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BROKEN RECORDS
« on: November 17, 2003, 12:04:55 AM »

Hello, you dear dear people.  Now that you've read the notes, you can post all about what was written in them.  I need lots and lots of posts for my mental delectation and I'll be checking in as much as possible as I get breaks from editing.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 12:17:33 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:BROKEN RECORDS
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 12:08:42 AM »

A quiet thing but the view is excellent.
Barbara Cook without question.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 03:47:53 AM »

Good morning.  I thought I had first post there for a moment.  Just wanted to wish you all a happy and safe day before I zoom off to work.  Is it possible to zoom on a bus?  Depends on the driver, believe me, I could tell you some stories.  It's not just a bus ride--it's an adventure some times.

Talk to ya'll tonight when I have time to read the posts I missed after I went to bed  and have time to comment on the notes from this morning.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 04:35:11 AM »

Hmmm, divas. Barbara Cook is a great choice. I do love In Buddy's Eyes and My White Knight, two completely different songs from different eras of musical theatre but she nails both of them.

I'll come back later with more posts. I just wanted to check in and join the fun.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 04:53:25 AM by Ben »

Emily

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 04:53:44 AM »

Bus and metro strike today = Emily having to get up two hours earlier than normal, leave school three and a half hours late AND not be able to get to my work office on the other side of the city.

Excuse me while I go punch something.  Preferably something wearing a Transportation Company Uniform. :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ben

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 04:59:43 AM »

But Em, if you punch someone wearing your Santa hat, rumor will go around that Santa's elves are revolting and fomenting violence upon the Canadian provinces. Be careful what you wear when you punch.

When Liza is hitting all the cylinders, she can be amazing (and when she's bad, she's bad). I think one of her best diva numbers is But the World Goes Round from one of my favorite under-rated films, New York, New York.

Whenever I type that title, the muscle memory in my fingers takes over and I usually type it New York, NY and start to add the zip code.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2003, 05:02:05 AM »

Thank you sweet Karma fairy. Wow, two posters have surpassed our BK in numbers and Maya has so much Karma, she'll come back as whatever she wants.

td

• td
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2003, 05:55:56 AM »

from last night:

Karma, Maya?

Karma? Yah!

Karmaya!

Didn't we all use to sing this around the campfire?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2003, 06:11:54 AM »

If we're talking divas, and dream casting, let's try this one: a total recasting of The Music Man, and I'm not talking about that travesty with Broderick, although I did like Chenowith.

Let's instead cast Eddie Murphy as Hill.  He's got that way of talking/singing, in a way that is totally different from yet reminiscent of Preston.  And, to complement him as his Marion, I'd go for Vanessa Willaims.  The only catch would be a slight rewording, from "My White Knight" to "My BRIGHT Knight," which makes more sense regardless of the singer.

Yes, they would be loverly, to suggest another musical.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2003, 06:19:11 AM »

But Em, if you punch someone wearing your Santa hat, rumor will go around that Santa's elves are revolting and fomenting violence upon the Canadian provinces. Be careful what you wear when you punch.

Ben - if I punch anyone it is definitely going to be a hit and run.  They won't have time to recognise my Santa hat.

An hour and a bit later, I have made it to school.   My class is in 90 minutes.  Whatever will I do to pass the time away? (let's just say it starts with a "H" and ends with a "HW") :)

The bus/metro ride from hell was pretty darn bad.  People were yelling and screaming and touching other in otherwise innapropriate ways.  The bus driver this morning didn't/wouldn't (this is Quebec after all where politics are expressed in weird ways) speak English and so I and these other people near the front of the bus had to keep translating "move to the back" "I'm closing the doors now" "I am not moving until everyone is inside the bus" "stop sitting on me" "let the old woman sit down" "Stop touching the attractive young woman in the low rise jeans please".  It went on and on and on.  :(

I am SO going to need coffee right now.  Right NOW.  Shouldn't HHW have a virtual coffee house?  I think we need that...

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 06:26:52 AM »

Favorite Diva: Judy Garland

This year's Encores Bash was fantastic.  The topic was musicals presented at City Center (they produced full scale revivals of classics from the 40s to the mid-60s) so of course the material was great... Frank Loesser, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Hammerstein with Rodgers, Kern, Romberg and Bizet (and Rodgers with Hart), et. al.  Performers included Marin Mazie, Betty Buckley (in full Diva mode), Marc Kudish and about a dozen more plus an  unbilled surprise appearance by Faith Prince doing "Adelaide's Lament".  Only problem - two hours and ten minutes was way too short.

I hope all those people waiting in line for THE PRODUCERS tickets realize that a lot of them will end up seeing either Nathan OR Matthew, not both Nathan AND Matthew.

I watched the DVD of JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING IN PARIS.  It was of course sung well, but it was very strangely staged.  Half the numbers worked great and the other half you wondered what were they thinking.  It's time for an off-Broadway revival of this classic revue.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jason

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 06:28:58 AM »

What a wonderful topic of the day. I shall have much to post at lunch, but I'm running late (surprise, surprise), so I must run now. Oh, yes...I must run. I'll post again later.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 06:29:30 AM »

...and tonight I shall be supping with another HHW "celebrity" who is also a celebrity... Now I wonder who THAT could be!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2003, 07:01:16 AM »

I want a Swedish chef's hat.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2003, 07:29:38 AM »

Emily you made my morning with your "trip into work" story about translating! LOL! I was grumpy and now I am not!!

Does Doris Day count as a diva? If so, then I first became enamored of her when I was just a twig of a sprig of a lad, oh probably in 2nd or 3rd grade...saw her in APRIL IN PARIS and just loved her. Can't recall the name of the song she sang that caught my imagination so but it is the one she sings and dances to when she is back in the ship's kitchen dancing with the kitchen help...loved that scene when I was a child! Still love that scene in fact!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2003, 07:36:53 AM »

Divas? Hmmmmmmmmmmm......the term is VERY misused today, of course, and is thought of as something of a compliment.

Barbra of course, and I like her early stuff.  My favorite song - after much consideration - is "The Way We Were".

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 07:37:40 AM »

Divas---There are so many..

However, the one that touched my heart and personifies every quality I admire in a singer-was and is  ...
Nancy LaMott!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 07:39:06 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 07:38:00 AM »

Em, I like the idea of a virtual coffee house. That cup looks so inviting. Mmm, mmm, mmm. Maybe a cup of chocolate raspberry flavored coffee and a chat with friends at HHW.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 07:40:05 AM »

Mr. Brockman Senior has good taste. Miss LaMott is a grand choice.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2003, 07:54:48 AM »

I keep imagining DR Emily singing "Step to the Rear" from HOW NOW DOW JONES!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2003, 08:15:45 AM »

Dear Esteemed, lanky, swashbuckling, cosmopolitan, and guapo BK --

I survived the chilly shores of Erie, PA , and am now safely back in the warmth of family, hearth, home, and HHW.

I was computer-less for this trip, so I missed out on the thursday-to-Sunday doin's around here.  And I have to stay current with the day's notes and posts, so sometimes I don't get to play catch-up.

As far as a genuine "one-of-a-kind performance" diva, I would certainly have to name  Ethel Waters singing "Suppertime" (from As Thousands Cheer), and a performance from the CBS TV series of Judy Garland singing "Dirty Hands, Dirty Face."

As far as "personality divas" that just make such an impression..... Carol Channing, Anna Moffo, and BK's very own star, Dame Edna!

8)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2003, 08:17:45 AM »

Good morning.  Well, we're not gonna be breakin' any records today if we don't get off our butt cheeks and get some postin' goin' on.

I was amused to see yet another B'way website start up their own radio show.  We here at haineshisway.com are happy to lead the way so that others can know what to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2003, 08:37:40 AM »

Good morning all.
Well, I overslept as usual, so this has to be a quick post before I head off to school.  
TCB -  Is your house still standing after that wind last night?  Was it windy where you are?  I thought the windows were gonna be blown out of my apartment.  My friend Tiana and I walked down the street to our Safeway, and it reminded me of one of those old black and white movies, with the wind blowing people down the sidewalk.  The two of us were walking bent over, and I half expected to see someone holding on to a lamp post to keep from being blown away.  Didn't help that both of us have rather long hair, and it was taking on a rather wild life of it's own.
Anyway...I'm rambling, pay no attention.

Topic of the day - Babs has always been a personal favorite of mine.  My mother raised me on her and Judy Garland.  Tough to pick a favorite from either of them.  I love Babs' early stuff a lot more than the recent, of course.  Also the duet that the two of them did of Happy Days Are Here Again.  The two of them together, doesn't get much better than that...

Emily

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2003, 08:46:31 AM »

Thanks for all the cheers guys and gals... I am so glad my transportation woes are amusing all of you.  Isn't there a song from Avenue Q about situations like this?  Schaden-something? :)

My day is getting much better - I got to sit through an hour long class where the prof. went on and on about a book she launched this weekend.  We were treated not to our normal lecture but rather to a scintillating rant about what a wonderful researcher she is.  Sigh.

I tried to get into the AUS lounge today but there was not one couch, table or computer free.  I think we should start charging people for taking over my haunts.  Isn't there a plot about this in Urinetown? :)

So instead of being all nice and comfortable in the AUS lounge I am now cold and uncomfortable upstairs in a ''common'' room in which there are only MACs.  But not only are  they MACs, they are MACs with a FRENCH keyboard.  I keep forgetting where my punctuation marks are.  

I will definitely be in chat tonight if I am able to make it home on my second attempt at the rush hour essential service bus and metro.   Pray for me.  :)

Emily

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2003, 08:47:54 AM »

Craig... who are you dining with tonight?  Curiousity has been known to do worse stuff than just kill cats... ;)

Emily

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2003, 08:52:07 AM »

In my e-mail box this morning:

Newly appointed Senior Editor, Craig Brockman, says, "BroadwayWorld.com has always differed from other theater sites because of high levels of interactivity for our visitors. These launches continue that theme as just a small part of our planned expansion of Broadway, International and regional theater coverage."

CONGRATS TO BROCKMAN JR. ON THE NEW POSTING!
(and to BK for the flattery in YET ANOTHER Broadway Radio Show.  Imitation is the sincerest form of...)

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2003, 08:54:49 AM »

Emily..

Well I will be supping with Ms. Juliana A Hansen I believe..

And thanks for the kudos....  That's all I will say on that subject at the moment

seaclifr

• "I always think there's a band, kid"
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2003, 09:00:51 AM »

Craig - just saw the post about your new gig.  Congrats - may it last for a long time!

As for supping with Juliana - is she in town long?  Perhaps it's time for an HHW gathering.

bk - any "new" news re your next CD?

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2003, 09:03:11 AM »

DR TCB wrote:
I wrote:
Hey DR Ben, I'll race you to 500! You have one week!
If I cannot be a queen for a day, I at least deserve to be a goddess

Hmmm, I doubt that Ben can say the same.

Ha ha ha. Good one!

DR Andrea wrote in response to my asking her about the entertainment book:

We've had trouble at a few of the sushi places, double pizza, donni and subways (depends on location) Subway's is one thing, but at the other, they always try to give you something for less, even if it's at the specific location.

Weird. The ONLY time anyone I know has had trouble is at a card store. The coupon said "only at some participating stores", and this one said they did not participate.

I am really surprised that the pizza places give you trouble. I bet this is on the phone, right? If you went there I"m pretty sure they would honor it.

When you say you've had trouble at Subways (you mean the chain Subways, since I don't know any other subway type coupons in the book).  I ate there yesterday! Grilled chicken. Yummy!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 09:27:55 AM by Jennifer »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2003, 09:06:30 AM »

Ken Mandelbaum has a very nice tribute to Dorothy Louden in his column today.  It's not as personal as BK's tribute yesterday but it does mention the recordings she made for Bruce (and Ben Bagley - none of which were in the other obits I read).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up