Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BROKEN RECORDS  (Read 21079 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:BROKEN RECORDS
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2003, 11:29:10 AM »

And now, an attempt to post the color photo of the choir, so obviously posed.  Hoping you all can tell me if it's preferable to the previously posted black-and-white short of them "in action"

Hope this doesn't send us into widescreen (Oh, a Rupert Holmes reference)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2003, 11:29:40 AM »

BK wrote:
Craig and Arnold Brockman are a happily married couple living in
Queens.  Say the secret word and you win a hundred dollars.

Is the secret word HA HA HA HA?

For some reason I hope that someone told DR Ron their real relationship.  Craig is the baby bear and DR ArnoldBrockman is the papa bear.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2003, 11:34:54 AM »

The ache and poignancy that Garland infused "The Man That Got Away" with assures the listener than she's singing from experience, and it's devastating. Astonishingly, the song lost the Best Song Oscar to the fluffy "Three Coins in a Fountain." I mean, come on! I enjoyed singing "Three Coins" in FOREVER PLAID, but it's no "Man That Got Away."

Those Best Song Oscars certainly did NOT go often to the best song!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 11:36:13 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2003, 11:36:47 AM »

Dear Reader Tom from Oz--You are a HHW God, not Morpheus.

It's just my opinion, but I'm thinking Dame Joan singing Coward probably does not show off her voice to greatest advantage.

And tell us more about June Bronhill.  I've never heard of her.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2003, 11:40:44 AM »

Merman, Martin, and Channing were famous for not missing shows, but were any other famous ladies (or gentlemen) famous for never missing. I know Dolores Grey missed shows and LuPone certainly doesn't have a spotless reputation. I guess Chita doesn't or didn't  miss very often.

Even before the infamous problem with Bernadette Peters' health in GYPSY, she was famous for missing performances.

HollyLynn

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2003, 11:41:27 AM »

Top Five Divas (in no particular order)

1.  Betty Buckley--Meadowlark, Unexpected Song, Stars and Moon, Gaviola (from her first album) to name a few 2.  Jennifer Holiday--And I'm Not Telling You
3.  Karen Akers--I'll Waltz Alone from Grand Hotel
4.  Audra McDonald--She could sing anything and I would be happy!
5.  Liza--I grew up listening to my Mom's records from New York, New York and Cabaret (Have they released a DVD edition of Cabaret?  My video is almost worn out!)

Others--Alice Ripley, Emily Skinner, Judy Kuhn, Chita, Ertha Kitt, Eliane Strich, Ethel Merman, Ute Lemper....the list goes on...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2003, 11:42:28 AM »

My favorite (living) divas:  :-* Bernadette :-* Betty Lynn :-* Patti :-*  I fell in love with musicals in great part due to these three women, their voices and the roles that they played:  Mabel Normand and Dot, Martha Jefferson and Grizabella, Evita and the Moll/Sister Mister ... and many others.  I treasure their respective solo albums as well and look forward to their continued output!

My favorite (no-longer-living) divas:  Ethel Merman and Judy Garland.  'nuff said.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2003, 11:44:18 AM »

And thanks to the Karma fairy for the extra Karmage!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2003, 11:48:56 AM »

Yes, DR HollyLynn, CABARET has been out on DVD in a number of different editions for quite some time. You should be able to find it on-line if not at a store.

And welcome!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2003, 11:49:49 AM »

Dear MR BK - if you are still contemplating a rock and roll of Ronald Stein CD - there is a jukebox ditty I haven't heard in THE DEVIL'S PARTNER that is very fine.  Of course my favorite is still from AOTFFW, but this one is very good as well!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2003, 11:56:40 AM »

Is Karmage the antithesis of carnage? They sound SO similar.  :)

George

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2003, 12:14:16 PM »

Is Karmage the antithesis of carnage? They sound SO similar.  :)

Yes, they are polar opposites and I hope that there is no confusion between the two words.  ::)

A little free-association tangent here:  every time I hear the word "carnage" I think of the word "carnal," which makes me think of the movie "Carnal Knowledge," which reminds me of the "All In the Family" episode when Archie and Edith come home from the movies when they thought that they were seeing a movie called "Carnival Knowledge."  :o Not the same thing!

td

• td
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2003, 12:15:01 PM »

Tom - you're divine now!

I knew from the first that Tom (and Colin) were divine, heavenly creatures.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2003, 12:19:32 PM »

Has there a mention of that wonderful Diva Judy Kaye yet? Underacknowledged and under-recorded IMHO.
June Bronhill (also a Dame I think) is Australian and had a very successful career in opera in Oz and Europe pre Sutherland. She has a deligthful personality andis much loved by the Oz public. She was our original Maria in "The Sound Of Music" back in 1961 and I had the pleasure od seeing and hearing her in "The Merry Widow" in about 1964. She has appearded in the Australian version of "Are You Being Served" but is IMHO best heard singing in the above mentioned "Robert & Elizabeth" (The Brownings) which is ceretaibly still availablbe and worthe the hunt. Proabblt considered more of an operatta but is indeed a musical gem. June's diction is suberb and she certainly has recorded a few operas in the early sixties. I am however not an opera fan - genes missing here too. I tried for a few seasons but found it all so hum hum and came away whistling the scenery. A BTW: June Bronhill took her stage name from the Oz town of Broken Hill best known to the world from "Priscilla".
Someone out there must know "Robert and Elizabeth". The show also had the wonderful Keith Michell.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2003, 12:22:10 PM »

DR Noel I looked at both pictures and I'm not sure which I prefer. They are both nice, but different. This is for the cd booklet? Which will fit better with the other photos? The color one does include more people, right?

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2003, 12:22:51 PM »

Thanks for noticing Emily and td. Now to convince those whose photograph appears in post my post #500 of yesterday! Post #1 should be indicative of my approach to the new level. There won't be trumpets. DR Ron "has been there done that". I hope people are still prepared to "Believe" after the infamous Brockman affair.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2003, 12:26:48 PM »

Merman, Martin, and Channing were famous for not missing shows, but were any other famous ladies (or gentlemen) famous for never missing. I know Dolores Grey missed shows and LuPone certainly doesn't have a spotless reputation. I guess Chita doesn't or didn't  miss very often.

Keith Andes played 402 shows of MAN OF LA MANCHA without missing a show. He says he was exhausted afterwards!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 12:27:14 PM by MBarnum »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2003, 12:27:05 PM »

That's quite a succession:  Marjorie Lawrence to June Bronhill to Joan Sutherland.  With Dame Kiri warbling over in NZ.  It must be something in the water.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2003, 12:28:11 PM »

Hello, DRs!!

I tried to post earlier today, but for some reason the computer is being super slow today, and the pages wouldn't load.  It does seem a little better now though.

Asking me to choose my favorite divas is like asking me to choose my favorite ice cream flavor...there are simply too many of them.  After some thought though, here goes:

Favorite Living Divas
Bernadette Peters
Kristin Chenoweth
Audra McDonald
Barbra Streisand
Liza Minnelli
Ute Lemper (HollyLynn, it's good to see another fan)!

Favorite non-Living Divas
Ethel Merman
Judy Garland
Dolores Gray
Nancy LaMott

Tom, I agree that our very own Judy Kaye is underrated as a performer, but she certainly is one of the best out there.  I think Kim Criswell is similarly underrated--few voices are as supple and rangy as hers.

Ben--If I have enough karma to come back as anything I want, can it be a HHW Goddess so I can sit alongside Dear God Ron?  ;)

Craig--congrats Mr. Senior Editor!  I think they certainly picked the right guy for the job!

Jennifer--I love the smiley contest idea!  If BK likes it, I think we should totally do it!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2003, 12:28:40 PM »

But Em, if you punch someone wearing your Santa hat, rumor will go around that Santa's elves are revolting and fomenting violence upon the Canadian provinces. Be careful what you wear when you punch.

LOL.  

Emily, I feel very guilty laughing when you had such a bad time.  Hope you find some faster transportaion and a way to work.

td

• td
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2003, 12:29:00 PM »

Diva-wise, NANCY LAMOTT, bar none. (Anyone with enough computer savvy would be able to find a very interesting connection between my posts and my computer).
First heard her on the Painted Smiles album, pre-cd speak, MOSTLY MERCER charming her way through "Beautiful Baby." One listen and I was hooked - - and that album also contains sublime work from Jennifer Holliday, Rosemary Clooney, Eydie Gorme and one of those Jeffries - either Anne or Fran.
I only wish that I could have seen Nancy perform in the clubs in NYC.

Babs would be next, though, after "Stoney End," there's really not much that I'd run out of my way to hear, with rare film song exceptions:  I think that one of Babs' finest moments is in FUNNY LADY, singing "If I Love Again" with only piano accompaniment.

The Divas I have met:
Betty Buckley and Barbara Cook. Word of warning, however, NEVER mention CARRIE around BC, with BB it is a cause for divine conversation, but a taboo subjest with Miss Cook.

And then there's Judy.  Like most people I knew her from THE WIZARD OF OZ long before I knew that she had other talents.  But, as great as "The Man that Got Away" is, my favorite Judy vocal has got to be "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."

There are a few whom I would consider as demi-divas, like Miss Petula Clark.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 12:30:30 PM by td »

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2003, 12:30:07 PM »

Nobody else wants a smiley contest? :(

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2003, 12:32:31 PM »

"Carnival Knowledge."  

Actually, "Carnival Knowledge" is the name of the show that was playing in the same theatre Our Wedding - The Musical played.  It meant that there was a gorilla on top of the theatre's awning, and a big clown head and all sorts of sideshowy stuff on stage when we rehearsed, but not, thankfully, on stage for the actual show.

I believe it's still playing.  (Soho Plahouse)

http://www.weddingMusical.com

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2003, 12:32:33 PM »

Okay I wrote that before refreshing and seeing DR Maya's comments. Glad to see someone else shares me love for pathetically fun games! :)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2003, 12:32:59 PM »

*Builds a shrine to new Dear God Tom*

Does this make me a pagan now??

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2003, 12:36:32 PM »

well plans are set and I am, indeed, going to have dinner with the lovely and talented Ms. Juliana A. Hansen (of Juliana's Journal fame).  I shall regale you all in stories upon my return this evening. I *might* even have a picture or two...

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2003, 12:37:39 PM »

*helping Maya to build Tom's shrine*

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2003, 12:40:41 PM »

Now I have "Pagan Love Song" running around my head and I can't remember who sang it. I'm supposed to be infallible too. It was a song from 1929 after all. I would check with My fellow inhabitant of this "level" but the is organising some angels to paint he clouds with sunshine.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 12:41:13 PM by Tom from OZ »
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2003, 12:40:51 PM »

I don't know if it makes you a pagan, Maya, but it may make TCB a Fagin

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2003, 12:43:57 PM »

And where is that superannuated pick-pocket this fine day?
Infallability does take some practice. I had to use the modify button again. Omnipresence too has its problems as I don't appear to be sitting at the breakfast table either. Back soon.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up