Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BROKEN RECORDS  (Read 21270 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:BROKEN RECORDS
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2003, 09:21:21 AM »

Enquiring minds want to know:  Craig and Arnold Brockman?

Any relation?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2003, 09:23:17 AM »

GOod morning, all. I first have to once again differ sharply with bk about something, this time THE OUT-OF-TOWNERS. You can't debate comedy with anyone. Everyone has different senses of humor and what strikes one as funny will find another stone-faced. That said, I absolutely adore THE OUT-OF-TOWNERS. As a black comedy, it and Scorsese's AFTER HOURS are my two favorite screen black comedies of all time. And I have no fond memories of PRETTY BABY from when I saw it in the theater when it first came out. However, I'd certainly be willing to give it another chance. Time and life experiences can often change one's perspective about movies. It certainly has with something like BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS which I loathed when I first saw it and now admire quite a bit.

Garland would have to be my favorite diva, too. Of course, "Over the Rainbow" was my childhood favorite, and my mom got so sick of me playing the soundtrack of the film that she took me to a record store in town and said, "Here. I want you to get this and listen to it. This is Judy after she grew up." It was the pink box LP release of A STAR IS BORN, and after I heard "The Man That Got Away," she had me forever.

Barbra is the only other singer who quite captured my imagination like Judy did. As I said on a previous thread some weeks ago, all of her 1960s recordings were gems, but I have a particular favorite, "Starting Here, Starting Now" from COLOR ME BARBRA. When that TV special was finally released on video, I was the first in line to buy it. I wish they'd get around to issuing them on DVD. I'm afraid MY NAME IS BARBRA, COLOR ME BARBRA, and A HAPPENING IN CENTRAL PARK are going to wear out or break before I can get them in more permanent form.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 09:25:44 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2003, 09:25:08 AM »

Certainly, Miss Babs and Miss Garland are examples of fine performers with considerable bearing and presence that set them apart from most.  But for real divas, I'll take the Misses Maria Callas, Leontyne Price and Joan Sutherland.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2003, 09:27:05 AM »

Dear Reader Ron-God--

Dear Readers like me who slog through each and every post know the answer to the question.

(How's that for coy?)

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2003, 09:28:56 AM »

SOmehow I just didn't inherit the opera gene. I've been to two or three in my life, but they just aren't my cup of tea. I have great respect for their craft, their talent, and their ability, but I'm just a musical theater baby, I guess.

BTW, to comment on something that was being mentioned yesterday, I've been doing theater for over 40 years, and I've only used a body mike twice in my life: for the revue AND THE WORLD GOES 'ROUND and as Sir Harry in ONCE UPON A MATTRESS. Every other show I've ever done has either been unmiked or stage or overhead mikes have to suffice. I can't imagine doing a show without projecting.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 09:30:26 AM by Matt H. »

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2003, 09:33:42 AM »

Oh my gosh am I dumb or what? :)

I was quoting a bunch of posts from yesterday. So I do that in quick reply and then modify it. When I did that a couple of days ago, DR Ben saw my post before editing, and thought he'd missed something (i hadn't done the quoting or written my response). So today I put "please refresh i am in the process of editing this post" at the top of my post. Then proceeded to forget about it. Sorry!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 09:36:42 AM by Jennifer »

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2003, 09:34:26 AM »

Enquiring minds want to know:  Craig and Arnold Brockman?

Any relation?

RON... oh dear Boy...  where have you been?  This has been mentioned quite often....

Jay

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2003, 09:34:31 AM »

Make that two Misses and a Dame.

(Apologies to DR TfO.  I know La Stupenda is something of a national treasure in your neck of the woods.)

Jay

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2003, 09:35:37 AM »

On further thought, make that one Miss, one Dame, and one Goddess, as Miss Callas is more properly known as La Divina.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2003, 09:36:02 AM »

About Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick in THE PRODUCERS. Let's not look on the dark side, WEL. It's been a couple of years since they've done it and perhaps their vocal chords will have rested up enough to be able to do the show consistently. Maybe I was lucky that the entire original cast was there when I saw it 2 or 3 Julys ago.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2003, 09:39:19 AM »

DR Emily: Sorry about your metro/bus problems. But at least the buses and metros are running at rush hour. They could have just cancelled service all together.  But I'm sure it still sucks.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2003, 09:41:24 AM »

Only 174 more posts till I'm a goddess!  Wow, I shouldn't have figured that out. That is a long way away :(

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2003, 09:43:07 AM »

Btw, BK, when is the smiley contest day? I propose each contestant gets to nominate one smiley. And someone can be the judge. Best smiley gets a prize?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2003, 09:49:33 AM »

Ah, the life of a record producer  :P

One of my quandaries is deciding which picture of the choir to use.  To my mind, the burst of color when they came on in those robes was the most visually arresting moment of the show.  Should I use this black and white picture of them in action?

It's going to take me some time to figure out how to post the color one, which is obviously posed.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2003, 09:54:07 AM »

I have a question for any DRs. Has anyone ever ordered ffom amazon.fr?  There are a bunch of the mega musical french shows that I really want to get on video. Since for some reason they are not coming out in Quebec, I am thinking about ordering from amazon.fr.  But I am concerned about the shipping charges (I don't think customs hassles us here about things from overseas, Emily?).

The things I really want (which I realize I will have to transfer) are:

Petit prince:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000093I5G/qid=1069090988/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/171-5512754-5593861
Cindy:
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AJGDN/qid=1069091406/br=1-6/ref=br_lf_v_5/171-5512754-5593861

Maybe: Les dix commandement (i've seen this)
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005A7BG/qid=1069091406/br=1-7/ref=br_lf_v_6/171-5512754-5593861

Romeo et juliette:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005RH65/qid=1069091406/br=1-13/ref=br_lf_v_12/171-5512754-5593861

If anyone has any ideas or advice, please let me know. Thanks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2003, 10:03:32 AM »

Craig and Arnold Brockman are a happily married couple living in
Queens.  Say the secret word and you win a hundred dollars.

Phil - I'm not ready to talk about new projects yet - I have two I will choose from, both of which would be grand fun.

My editors are here and seem great so I think editing this show will be fun.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2003, 10:13:26 AM »

Thanks, BK!

I will not make excuses for why I haven't picked up on this before.

Like hell I won't make excuses.

I'm over 50!  My brain cells function on their own agenda and don't always hop-to when I come a-knocking.

I may have read it, but it never stuck because I never associated the last names before.  Craig has always been Craig.  ArnoldBrockman has always been ArnoldBrockman.  Today is the first time I "remember" seeing Craig's last name at a time when I had just read something by ArnoldBrockman.

These senior moments will not decline.  They will go on....sigh.   :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 10:14:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2003, 10:14:57 AM »

Now that I've made a big old fool of myself over the Brockman and Brockman issue, let me go out on a limb and ask DR NOEL where JOY is hiding out.  I havent' seen a post from her in days.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 10:15:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2003, 10:17:45 AM »

DR JAY:

I heard you....Joan Sutherland -- "In Questa Reggia"!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2003, 10:18:12 AM »

Yes, we need some tidings of comfort and joy.  

I'm trying to get them to put a computer in the edit bay today, which will make checking in a lot easier than having to run back to my office every two minutes.

Emily

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2003, 10:48:10 AM »

er... I think Mr. and Mr. Brockman may have some 'splaining to do to Ron later... :)

An hour and 15 minutes until I brave the metro again. In the meantime, I diagnose a grilled chicken sandwich from Subway for myself. 5.2 grams of fat.  How DO they do it?  

As Joy/Homer Simpson would say:

arghlalarghalaarghlalaargh :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2003, 10:50:28 AM »

WEL: Thanks for the reminder. I must go dig out my Bagley recordings and listen to the Miss Loudon tracks.
Congratulations Mr Brockman Jnr.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2003, 10:52:39 AM »

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2003, 10:55:27 AM »

No apologies necessary Jay I only have La Sutherland singing some Noel Coward (on record) and I don't even like that). I always preferred the voice of June Bronhill. I hope a few DRs remember her and at least have "Robert And Elizabeth" in their collections. It is pre 6.00 am here so I am going back to bed. See you all later.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2003, 10:55:37 AM »

"On an average weekday, 1,230,000 commuters use the Montreal transit system."

That is a lot of angry people...  I didn't realise that it was that many!

Emily

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2003, 10:56:37 AM »

Tom - you're divine now!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2003, 11:10:46 AM »

MattH:  I concur -- Judy Garland -- "The Man That Got Away"

Plus: "(I'm) Nobody's Baby," "Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart," "Johnny One Note," "Get Happy"

William E. Lurie

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2003, 11:16:30 AM »

I think the same thing will happen with Matthew and Nathan that happened the last time.  Although Matthew missed a few previews they basically did all shows for the beginning of the run.  Then they started missing a few performances, then a few more,  until by the end of their run it was averageing 1 show a week with both stars performing.  It probably won't get that bad this time, but I really don't expect them each to play every performance for the fourteen weeks.  I hope I am wrong.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2003, 11:23:26 AM »

Mr. Lurie brings up something that has been discussed before, but I'm not really sure I've read any observations about "why" this is happening.

There used to be stars on Broadway who never missed a performance.

Of course, that kept some fine understudies from getting a shot.  And Shirley MacLaine's story is a good reason why some stars missed performing only if they were near death.

What's the current thought on the "why" someone like Lane and Broderick would miss so many performances?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2003, 11:23:49 AM »

I think we need a posting volley, a burst of posting, an explosion of posting, that's what I think we need.

I love la Garland singing The Man That Got Away, one of the great recordings ever.

I also love Peggy Lee's Is That All There Is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up