Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WITH A SMILE AND A LAUGH AND A POTATO CHIP  (Read 19023 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:WITH A SMILE AND A LAUGH AND A POTATO CHIP
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2005, 07:48:02 AM »

Interesting report, DR Rodzinski, about yours and TPunk's time with Jose.

I've always thought that spending time with Jose would be a smorgasbord of adventures!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2005, 07:49:16 AM »

Current Oakland temperature, for all you east coasters, is F 50 degrees.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2005, 07:50:39 AM »

One duet that I love is "Better Than a Dream" from Bells Are Ringing.  I just got the DVD last week and that was the first thing that I watched...I just wanted to check the picture quality as compared to the laserdisc that I got last year.  Soooo much better than the laserdisc!  But I got so into it that I watched all of the bonus material ... speaking of. ;) There isn't much, but they have two songs that were filmed but cut, and an alternate view of a third song from the movie.  There are also interviews with Hal Lindon and Comden and Green and Frank Gorshin but no other irritating voice-over narration.  I think it's quite well done.

Boy, you're right about that! The quality is night and day better on the DVD. I just wish Dean Martin hadn't been so lazy about learning the words to his songs, especially "I Met a Girl." That is one of the most embarrassing moments in movie musical history seeing him stumbling around through those throngs of people while his voice croons on the soundtrack, and his mouth on screen isn't even moving.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2005, 07:51:52 AM »

Current Charlotte temperature is 83. A gradual cooling is in the offing for this week, but it's still going to be hot and muggy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2005, 07:52:04 AM »

Well, time for me to get ready for my day...  Looking forward to seeing you again too, DR elmore.  Hmm... Maybe I'll bring some of the fudge I bought yesterday up in Vermont.  :)

In any case...Laters...

Well...this brings to mind an episode of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"...but I won't go into the "particulars"...!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2005, 07:54:53 AM »

In "Oliver!", it's "As Long As He Needs Me" that is the 11 o'clock song...yes?

What would "Oom-pah-pah" -- the song Nancy uses to distract Sykes and Fagin in order to spirit away Oliver -- be categorized as?

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2005, 07:55:27 AM »

And on the matter of Lena Horme/Ava Gardner in SHOW BOAT. Does everyone recall that Ava Gardner got TOP billing in SHOW BOAT despite the brevity of her role in comparison to Kathryn Grayson's. She was definitely the biggest box-office name in the picture.

Arthur Freed had originally earmarked Julie for Judy Garland before she was fired by the studio after the ROYAL WEDDING debacle. I would love to have heard what Judy would have done with Julie's songs AND how she could have acted them with that uncanny mix of pathos and longing that she was a master of. To my knowledge, she never sang either of those numbers.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2005, 08:00:10 AM »

11 O'Clock numbers:

"Rose's Turn," obviously. "The Music That Makes Me Dance," obviously. "I'm Goin' Back," obviously.

"I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" is one that isn't thought about much, but when you get an actor who can really sing it and put some depth of feeling into it, it can be very moving.

I'm sure there will be others I'll think of as the day goes along.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2005, 08:03:48 AM »

Yes, I love those counterpoint duets, too: "You're Just in Love" and "Old Fashioned Wedding" and "You're Gonna Love Tomorrow/Love Will See Us Through."

Other more standard duets: "If I loved You," "People Will Say We're in Love," "Every Day a Little Death," "No One Is Alone," "I Wanna Be Seen with You."

FJL

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2005, 08:04:44 AM »

DR Ron - Thanks for the info on the name of the song from SEESAW.

In the stage OLIVER, "Oom-pah-pah" is the second-act opener, and actually is sung before Bill has his big "My Name" number.  The rethinking of "Oom-pah-pah" for the film version is a wonderful use of the song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2005, 08:06:34 AM »

DR FJL - Splash tonight?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2005, 08:07:18 AM »

I was reading this morning about MGM's smash hit movie SAN FRANCISCO, and I wonder why it hasn't yet been released on DVD? Is Warners planning a Clark Gable or Spencer Tracy box set on the order of the Garbo, Day, Davis, and Crawford boxes?

I am so eager to see SAN FRANCISCO that I'm going to haul out my videotape (part of its Golden Jubilee series) of it and watch today instead of a DVD.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2005, 08:07:21 AM »

OK... I'm off...

Well, yes, I'm "off", but now I'm off to meet DR elmore and a Mr. Parton (not related to Dolly from what I can gather).

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2005, 08:08:24 AM »

And, of course, I'll watch the entire BROADWAY LOST TREASURES III at some point today, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2005, 08:10:11 AM »

I meant to mention that other Tony Awards DVD release showing play excerpts taken from Tony shows. Don't know how much demand there will be to see play excerpts as unless you know the shows themselves, the excerpts out of context aren't usually all that interesting.

With the songs, you don't have to know the shows and their places within them to be entertained, but I'm not so sure about the plays.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2005, 08:10:45 AM »

The Punk and I have returned from our quickly slapped together trip to Massachusetts and Vermont which turned out to be quite a fun adventure. Jose was great showing us around Williamstown and EVERYONE who talked to him said something along the lines of "You saved our ass."

On the downside, I can now blame Jose for destroying my diet. Note to those coming in Oct: If you hang around Jose, YOU WILL EAT A LOT.

Must catch up...

Hmmm...

Well, I was not with you at Spice Root when you ordered the Meat Sampler - the Appetizer plates and the Entree...

And I was not with you at the A-Maize-ing Moose Maze where you bought some of the bread - which I have yet to try.

And I did not force you to eat that Pee-Wee sized cup of Cake Batter Fudge Swirl Ice Cream at Lickety Split.

And I wasn't the one who suggested we stop for Mexican food on the way back.  In fact, it was DR TPunk...

Hmm....

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2005, 08:11:33 AM »

I'm finding conflicting reports on whether it's "If Mama Was Married" Or "If Momma Was Married."  Googling either gets lots of references.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2005, 08:12:36 AM »

DR Ron, I think you are smart now to drop the CBS feeds. Unless more people do, CBS is going to continue to block out stuff folks want to see. I'm glad it's not going to cost you anything.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2005, 08:13:48 AM »

DR RonP, did they cancel it right away, or offer to give you an extra month free? I've read many people say that they cancelled but were offered an extra month free.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2005, 08:14:57 AM »

All this talk of food has made me quite hungry. I usually have lunch with my best friend on Monday, but so far no plans have been made. Hmmmm....

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2005, 08:18:04 AM »

I also found the travels of DRs Rodzinski, TPUnk and Jose very fun to read!

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2005, 08:20:18 AM »

Big Brother LIVE FEED SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

I can't remember if anyone mentioned this, but James won the veto. Apparently he beat janelle by 4 seconds, and is admitting he cheated.  This sucks because i wanted her to win.

I will probably try to watch the Housecalls show today.  I want to see if anyone gives jennifer a hard time.  And it should be funny when she finds out that America hates her.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2005, 08:20:45 AM »

DR RonP, did they cancel it right away, or offer to give you an extra month free? I've read many people say that they cancelled but were offered an extra month free.

I subscribed at the start, and found that once discussions about strategy become interesting, the cameras would switch to idiotic chit chat in the hot tub, etc.

I cancelled within two days, but they offered me a free month.  That ends tomorrow.  But I went all weekend without watching...and after the show Saturday night, I find I'm just not interested in looking in on Beau, Maggie, April, Ivette and James any more.  Howie, Rachel and Janelle don't hold much "live" interest, either, since they've not really lived up to their promise.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2005, 08:22:47 AM »

DR FJL:  Thanks of the insights into the stage production of "Oliver!"

FJL

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2005, 08:25:01 AM »

DR Jose - I'm going to pass on Splash.  

Are there going to be any mass gatherings in more, well, "ordinary" establishments?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2005, 08:27:17 AM »

I'm finding conflicting reports on whether it's "If Mama Was Married" Or "If Momma Was Married."  Googling either gets lots of references.

On the back of the OBC it reads "Momma"...on the back of the OST it reads "Mama"...

???

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2005, 08:30:04 AM »

OK, just got the call for luncheon, so I need to go clean up.

I'll be back later.

Jason

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2005, 08:32:28 AM »

DR Ron P.: Things are going well with Berniece. We've been sleeping fairly comfortably, though I end up taking her off around 7:15 every morning and going back to sleep for 45 minutes. That allows any creases and/or markings on my face to fade well before I have to face the public. ;)

I suppose I'm feeling better - I can't really tell now. I feel more rested, that's for certain - though I still find myself yawning throughout the day. Mostly superficial yawns - residual ones done more out of habit than necessity, I think - and nothing like the never-ending yawns of just two weeks ago. Before CPAP (B.C. in Biblical terms), I would yawn all day long and felt like I could never get enough oxygen into my system. No amount of yawning, regardless of intensity, could refresh me.  Now I yawn cause my body thinks it's supposed to.

The dark circles and bags under my eyes are starting to fade away. It's a slight change - most people claim they never even noticed them before - but it's something I notice when I look in the mirror. I just look more alert and refreshed. For the most part, I'm able to think clearer and quicker and I very rarely have the urge to fall asleep while I'm watching TV or riding the train. The big test will be to see if I can read more than one chapter of any given book without passing out. I think I'll need another week of treatment before I'm brave enough to try that one.

I feel like I've lost a little bit of weight, too. Now, whether I LOOK like I've lost it or whether I actually HAVE lost it is a whole other matter, but I feel a little less doughy. And my appetite is about half of what it was a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a constant urge to eat sugary things to keep me awake. That's nice.

Overall, I feel healthier, and in only two weeks! My body, I think, is unsure how to react to actually being rested. My muscles are tensing up in my shoulders, which may be related to the headgear for the mask, and my joints actually hurt if I sleep too long (I've never had that problem before! Too much sleep??), but overall I feel good. Thanks for asking!

Now if I could just get some OTHER aspects of my life to shape up...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2005, 08:46:16 AM »

DR Ron P.: Things are going well with Berniece. We've been sleeping fairly comfortably, though I end up taking her off around 7:15 every morning and going back to sleep for 45 minutes. That allows any creases and/or markings on my face to fade well before I have to face the public. ;)

I suppose I'm feeling better - I can't really tell now. I feel more rested, that's for certain - though I still find myself yawning throughout the day. Mostly superficial yawns - residual ones done more out of habit than necessity, I think - and nothing like the never-ending yawns of just two weeks ago. Before CPAP (B.C. in Biblical terms), I would yawn all day long and felt like I could never get enough oxygen into my system. No amount of yawning, regardless of intensity, could refresh me.  Now I yawn cause my body thinks it's supposed to.

The dark circles and bags under my eyes are starting to fade away. It's a slight change - most people claim they never even noticed them before - but it's something I notice when I look in the mirror. I just look more alert and refreshed. For the most part, I'm able to think clearer and quicker and I very rarely have the urge to fall asleep while I'm watching TV or riding the train. The big test will be to see if I can read more than one chapter of any given book without passing out. I think I'll need another week of treatment before I'm brave enough to try that one.

I feel like I've lost a little bit of weight, too. Now, whether I LOOK like I've lost it or whether I actually HAVE lost it is a whole other matter, but I feel a little less doughy. And my appetite is about half of what it was a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a constant urge to eat sugary things to keep me awake. That's nice.

Overall, I feel healthier, and in only two weeks! My body, I think, is unsure how to react to actually being rested. My muscles are tensing up in my shoulders, which may be related to the headgear for the mask, and my joints actually hurt if I sleep too long (I've never had that problem before! Too much sleep??), but overall I feel good. Thanks for asking!

Now if I could just get some OTHER aspects of my life to shape up...

DR Jason, I've been meaning to reply to your CPAP tales for some time...I'm truly glad that the machine is working so well for you.  I too was diagnosed with sleep apnea about a year or two ago...can't quite remember how long exactly.  I always suspected the results of the test were slightly inaccurate, due to the fact that I never actually fell asleep that night, but that's another story.  At any rate, they set me up with a CPAP machine and I attempted to use it.  I tried, I really really tried...but I just couldn't do it.  I'm a restless sleeper, I toss and turn, and being attached to the hose made moving almost impossible.  Often being stuffed up from allergies made being forced to breathe only through my nose a nightmare.  But mostly it was the feeling of my whole face and head being bound up.  How do you deal with it?  For about three months I tried, and every night was miserable.  I found myself taking it off at 3 or 4 every night, just to a get a few hours of actual sleep before getting up.  I finally gave up on the machine, and although I occasionally think about trying again, I feel much better without it.  DB Jed tells me I sleep like a baby, and although he admits I will occasionally emit a snore or two, he swears they are nothing major or offensive...of course he may be humoring me a bit  ;D  

At any rate, I'm so glad it is working for you...best of luck to you and Berniece.  Hmmm...I never named my CPAP, maybe THAT was the problem...

Jason

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2005, 08:56:32 AM »

DR Ann: I'm sorry your CPAP experience was an unpleasant one. I'm not a huge fan of having Berneice strapped to my face every night (no comments from the Peanut Gallery, please!), but somehow I've managed to be OK with it. The only time I'm really aware of the mask is when I try to roll over on my stomach, which one obviously can't do, or when the moisture from the humidifier is blown up my nose. I had to shake the mask out around 5:30 this morning to get rid of some of the condensation, so I'm going to have to adjust the humidifier's levels, but honestly, I'm "suitably compliant" to the machine. I think the more severe the apnea, the greater the chances that you'll adapt to the CPAP simply because any relief is better than none.

Luckily I've not yet had to deal with trying to use the machine with a stuffy nose. I dread that day, though I'm sure the sleep, extra oxygen and added moisture is doing my sinuses more good than I realize.

And regarding Jed and your snoring - remember, snoring alone does not sleep apnea make. Don't ask if you're snoring - ask if you stop breathing! THAT'S what you should worry about.

How's this for a potential name: Rodolfo. Or Antonio. Or Sven. Or Jed. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up