Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WITH A SMILE AND A LAUGH AND A POTATO CHIP  (Read 17829 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WITH A SMILE AND A LAUGH AND A POTATO CHIP
« on: August 22, 2005, 12:09:42 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've seen the unwieldy title of the notes, we are now all feeling quite unwieldy, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're just smiling and laughing and having a potato chip right now, and then they might, just might, come home.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 12:11:16 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WITH A SMILE AND A LAUGH AND A POTATO CHIP
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:10:01 AM »

And the word of the day is: FULCRUM!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 12:15:47 AM »

Nobody here but us chickens.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 12:25:36 AM »

My favorite eleven o'clock numbers:  Rose's Turn.  All of the Follies eleven o'clock numbers.  If He Walked Into My Life, What Kind of Fool Am I?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 12:30:39 AM »

I don't know from eleven o'clock numbers.  My favourite duet is in a film called College Rhythm.  Bob Hope & Martha Raye sing How'd Ya Like To love Me?

BK, Diana Lynn wonderful, wonderful!  

Do you have the Lloyd Nolan Mike Shayne that is a reworking of HIGH WINDOW, a Philip Marlowe novel, by Raymond Chandler. It's called TIME TO KILL and is supposed to be the best version of the novel.  Another was made called THE BRASHER DOUBLOON with George Montgomery as Marlowe.  

There is also a Falcon movie with George Sanders that is a reworking of FAREWELL, MY LOVELY.

I'm with you, Bruce.  More and more, I'm just watching the movie and forgoing the extras.  In the modern ones, the actors and directors are usually telling lies that make them look brilliant and in the old ones we too often get guys regurgitating well-known facts I already knew or that I can readily find in my film library.  Some of the old ones from a history standpoint are good when they actually talk to people who were there (and aren't working the PR number anymore, but just remembering) or a really good historian like Rudy Behlmer who knows what he's talking about and may actually tell you something you didn't know.   Or they show you old home movies, shorts, cartoons, or screen tests or archival footage (Basil Rathbone trying on helmets for Robin Hood is fun!)

But I've always been a little leery of DVD extras.  The film ought to be enough.  The extras sometimes just lift the veil and destroy the magic.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 12:36:28 AM »

Exactly - it's too much information, by too many people who don't deserve my attention.

Favorite duets: My Heart Is So Full Of You, If Momma Was Married, Marry the Man Today, The Grass Is Always Greener, You're Just In Love, I'm Past My Prime, Little Red Hat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 12:37:38 AM »

I would love to see Time to Kill, as I love The High Window most of all the Chandler books.  The Brasher Doubloon just doesn't cut it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 12:37:51 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 12:53:52 AM »

One duet that I love is "Better Than a Dream" from Bells Are Ringing.  I just got the DVD last week and that was the first thing that I watched...I just wanted to check the picture quality as compared to the laserdisc that I got last year.  Soooo much better than the laserdisc!  But I got so into it that I watched all of the bonus material ... speaking of. ;) There isn't much, but they have two songs that were filmed but cut, and an alternate view of a third song from the movie.  There are also interviews with Hal Lindon and Comden and Green and Frank Gorshin but no other irritating voice-over narration.  I think it's quite well done.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 12:55:59 AM »

I also love the double duet from Follies, "You're Gonna Love Tomorrow/Love Will See Us Through."  And the sort of duet, "Mirror, Mirror/Who's That Woman," also from Follies. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 04:34:19 AM »

I'm back. I read all the notes but none of the posts. I'll be back later after I catch up. I also have to catch up on work since I was out from work on Friday.

Later!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 04:54:23 AM »

Good morning, all!  Today's a GOLDEN APPLE day, marking the band parts with the cuts (too many, in my opinion) for the concert at Bard this Sunday.  I must say, this whole concept of musicals in concert , which every producer sees differently,  drives me mad.  I go to hear the score and the arrangements, and I don't relish an attempt to semi- or fully-stage it.  I thought we'd be hearing all of the score this weekend, but, alas, no.  This means, as well, that I will never know how well my correcting of the parts went until I win the lottery and pay for a complete recording.

TOD:  it's too early to think!  I know I'm forgetting something major.
  11 0'clock numbers:  The Music That Makes Me Dance
                              Rose's Turn
                              Time Heals Everything
                              I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face
                              Losing My Mind
                              I'm Going Back
                              Cabaret
                              What Did I Have That I Don't Have?

Duets:   You're Just in Love
              Old-Fashioned Wedding
              If Mama Was Married
              Marry the Man Today
              You Were Dead, You Know
              It Would Have Been Wonderful
              I'm Past My Prime
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 05:41:24 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 05:45:00 AM »

Favorite eleven o'clock numbers:  I'm Going Back is by far my all-time favorite, but I also really like So Long Dearie from Hello Dolly and Gittel's big soliloquy (I have it on tape with no song list so I'm not sure of the name of the song) from Seesaw.

Favorite duets:  You're Nothing Without Me from City of Angels (fun David Zippel lyrics before he started writing about waxing :)  ), If Momma Was Married, My Best Girl

Re the title of today's notes, I have a favorite potato chip, too, but I guess no one asked about that.  Still, it's Pringles Sour Cream and Onion.

FJL

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 05:47:36 AM »

Good morning, DR Elmore.  I guess I could look it up, but it's more fun to type it here - is it If Momma Was Married or If Mama Was Married?

FJL

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 05:51:52 AM »

Hmm..I just realzied I've subconsiously been favoring Cy Coleman songs these days, in this list and last week's list about title songs and second-act openers.  Not intentional, but it somehow worked out that way.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 06:07:29 AM »

Movies watched this past weekend:

Top Hat
Swing Time
Shall We Dance
My Man Godfrey
Oliver!
Rosemary's Baby
East of Eden
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 06:14:33 AM »

DR Jason:  May I request a CPAP update?  Are you adjusting?

Or have there been other unseemly disconnects in the night?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 06:17:51 AM »

Hmm..I just realzied I've subconsiously been favoring Cy Coleman songs these days, in this list and last week's list about title songs and second-act openers.  Not intentional, but it somehow worked out that way.

And there's totally not one thing wrong about this, either.  

For me, it depends on where I am emotionally when someone asks such questions.

For today, my favorite 11 o'clock number is:

"I'm Way Ahead" from "Seesaw"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 07:50:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 06:27:08 AM »

Good Morning!

Ah! To sleep in an air conditioned room - air conditioned by my own air conditioner...  And on a mattress that doesn't feel like they stuffed it with old costumes.  -Whatever that means.

But I'm up, and, I, too, have a date with some Golden Apple parts this afternoon - Thank you, again, DR elmore.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 06:40:09 AM »

But I'm up, and, I, too, have a date with some Golden Apple parts this afternoon - Thank you, again, DR elmore.

You're welcome, DRJose!  I'm happy for the company and the help.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 06:41:13 AM »

Favorite 11:00 numbers:

DITTO ;-)   Plus...
"Move On" - which I guess could be an 11:00 and duet combined.  -Unless you count "Lesson #8" as the 11:00 number in that show.
"The Last Midnight" from Into the Woods - which is more like an 10:45 number.
"I Know Where I've Been" (from Hairspray - Is that the right title?)
And, like BK, all the Follies' numbers for the leads in Follies.

Duets:
"Lily's Eye's" and "How Could I Ever Know?" from The Secret Garden.  Yes, "How Could I Ever Know?" starts off as a solo, but ends as a duet.
"Mountain/Terrace/(whatever) Duet", "I Know Him So Well" from Chess.
"The Tennis Song", "What You Don't Know About Women", and "You're Nothing Without Me" from City of Angels
"It's All for the Best" from Godspell
"It's Never That Easy/I've Been Here Before" from Closer Than Ever
"And What If We Had Loved Like That" from Baby - actually, go ahead and throw in "Two People in Love" and "With You" too from that score.
*OH! And to catch up from a previous day's topic, I really like the second act opener "The Ladies Singing Their Song".

And...

That's enough for now... For now.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 06:42:03 AM »

DR Jason - Splash Bar.  Tonight.  Bring El Greco.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2005, 06:43:24 AM »

....And "I Believe My Own Eyes" from The Who's Tommy
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2005, 06:44:44 AM »

Well, time for me to get ready for my day...  Looking forward to seeing you again too, DR elmore.  Hmm... Maybe I'll bring some of the fudge I bought yesterday up in Vermont.  :)

In any case...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 07:07:10 AM »

The Punk and I have returned from our quickly slapped together trip to Massachusetts and Vermont which turned out to be quite a fun adventure. Jose was great showing us around Williamstown and EVERYONE who talked to him said something along the lines of "You saved our ass."

On the downside, I can now blame Jose for destroying my diet. Note to those coming in Oct: If you hang around Jose, YOU WILL EAT A LOT.

Must catch up...

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2005, 07:17:32 AM »

I GOT A VIRUS!

I thought you would want to know about this e-mail virus. Even the most advanced programs from Norton and McAfee cannot take care of this one.

It appears to affect those who were born prior to 1965.

Symptoms:

1.  Causes you to send the same e-mail twice.    Done that!

2.  Causes you to send a blank e-mail!     Done that too!

3.  Causes you to send e-mail to the wrong person.     Yep!

4.  Causes you to send it back to the person who sent it to you.      Who me?

5.  Causes you to forget to attach the attachment.    Well darn!

6.  Causes you to hit "SEND" before you've finished.    Oh no - not again!

7.  Causes you to hit "DELETE" instead of "SEND."     And I just hate that!

8.  Causes you to hit "SEND" when you should "DELETE."
Oh No!

IT IS CALLED THE "C-NILE VIRUS"

der infected Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jason

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2005, 07:27:25 AM »

11:00 numbers: "Rose's Turn," "Lot's Wife" (Tonya Pinkins, though obviously having vocal difficulties every time I saw the show, sold that song like nobody's business), "The Last Midnight," "I'm Still Here," "Fable," "We Can Never Go Back to Before," "If He Walked Into My Life," "She's My Love," "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" (does that count?), "You'll Never Walk Alone" (again, does that count? It's a bit early in the show...) "Where Is the Warmth?" and "Once More Before I Go," with which Hugh Jackman stopped the show every time I saw it.

Duets: Too many to list, but I'll try. "If I Loved You" (the whole scene), "Til There Was You," "Lily's Eyes," "How Could I Ever Know?," "For Good," "Suddenly, Seymour," "Not While I'm Around," which most people consider a solo, but it's really a duet, "A Little Priest," "Timeless to Me," "If Mama Was Married," "Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)," "With So Little to Be Sure Of," "All the Wasted Time," "You're the Top," "Friendship," "Too Much In Love to Care," "Unworthy of Your Love," "I Have Dreamed," "I Believe My Own Eyes," "A Little Fall of Rain," "The Phantom of the Opera," which is great fun to sing, "The Song That Goes Like This," "Two Lost Souls," "A Man Doesn't Know What He Has (Until He Loses It)," "Hey There," "There Once Was A Man," and just to wrap things up, "The Grass Is Always Greener."

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2005, 07:38:26 AM »

Thank you, DR VIXMON. Hope you all east coasters will have a beautiful gathering, too.
I’m very much looking forward to my trip to Los Angeles to see dear BK again and to meet DR CP, if he likes. :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2005, 07:42:52 AM »

"Big Brother 6" -- No Spoilage

I've cancelled my subscription to the live feed.  While I enjoyed having it a couple of weeks ago, recent events in the house were blocked by the network/producers, and I can't fathom why they think I'd be willing to pay for that.

At any rate, the month I had it was free.  I much prefer the Canoe_Jam! transcripts...especially since the house is now at half-strength.  Who wants to listen to April yap-yap-yap all the time?  Not me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 07:44:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2005, 07:45:49 AM »

It's a high-sensitivity day, allergy-wise.  

It got me out of bed at 5:30 a.m. and I'm still tearing, sneezing and sniffling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up