Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAD TYPER  (Read 40316 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THE MAD TYPER
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2005, 08:41:44 AM »

[size=8][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY[/move]
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]BIRTHDAY[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]TCB[/move][/size]

I demand a recount department:  Damn the electronic hat, damn it to hell.  Why was I not awarded bonus points for divulging that Poston and Pleshette are married?   ;)  The electronic hat has it out for me, I tell you:  I am still waiting for my last two (count 'em) sparkling prizes from the last times I won, eons ago.   ;D

OK, now I feel better.  Plus I am listening to Luiz Eca who is arguably the most incredible pianist ever to come out of Brasil (and that's saying a lot).  DR Joey should listen to his version of Jobim's Double Rainbow, which is orchestrated a la Ravel.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2005, 08:41:49 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Had an early-morning call from Mr. Schmidt, who is very pleased with the little EQ work I did on his CD with Vinnie.  The original CD he did was a bit muddy sounding to my ears, and we took that out and made it a bit brighter and fuller-sounding.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2005, 08:42:29 AM »

Make that 10 shows. She just applied for The Who's TOMMY.

Good lord! Talking about apples and oranges. . . .

Sounds like she doesn't know what she wants.

FAME? Yuck!!!!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2005, 08:43:38 AM »

I am leaning toward THE RAZOR'S EDGE for today's viewing. It's a long movie and will take the day to get through (starting and stopping as things come up like ringing telephones and household chores).

When you watch this, make yourself pay attention to the dramatic music underscore.

Specifically, when everyone is in Paris, Larry (Tyrone Power) meets up with Isabel (Gene Tierney) and she convinces him to take her out for a night on the town.  Note that as Tierney  descends the staircase (with her mother and her Uncle Elliot -- Clifton Webb -- looking on, slack-jawed at her appearance) there is a gorgeous theme that plays briefly before Larry takes her out the door.

After all the clubbing, Larry returns Isabel to her apartment.  She invites him up and the theme takes up again...it insinuates, it soars, and it throbs as Tierney leads Power into one of the cinema's most alluring seduction "teases."  It's mostly Alfred Newman's exquisite music that does  the seducing, but it's truly extraordinary and one of cinema's best-scored scenes.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 08:47:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2005, 08:44:21 AM »

I just saw some screen captures from THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY, and the Technicolor is so lush and lovely that I think I must watch it instead of THE RAZOR'S EDGE. I'll save that one for possibly the weekend.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2005, 08:45:47 AM »

When you watch this, make yourself pay attention to the dramatic music underscore.

Specifically, when everyone is in Paris, Larry (Tyrone Power) meets up with Isabel (Gene Tierney). They go out for a night on the town.  Note, as Tierney is descending the staircast as her mother Uncle Elliot (Clifton Webb) look on, slack-jawed, there is a theme of rapturous beauty that plays briefly before Larry takes her out the door.

After all the clubbing, Larry returns Isabel to her apartment.  She invites him up and the theme takes up again...and it insinuates, and soars, and throbs as Tierney leads Power into one of the cinema's most alluring seduction "teases"...it's really the music that does all the seducing, but it's truly extraordinary and one of cinema's best-scored sequences.

Geez, DR Ron. You've made this sound so appealing I may have to go back to my original plan.

Talk about wishy-washy. I sound just like that idiot poor DR Jason is dealing with!  :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2005, 08:49:13 AM »

I sound just like that idiot poor DR Jason is dealing with!  :D

Poor DR Jason.

For now, every week is "Greek Week"!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2005, 08:51:41 AM »

While I was at Wal-Mart, I also spied SIN CITY that (I believe) DR MBarnum was talking about the other day. I'd love to see the film, but I don't think I could stand the hyperviolence.

I've shied away from the KILL BILL films for the same reason. It's too graphic for my psyche.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2005, 08:55:39 AM »

As I mentioned, it has been put forth to me that the elements for the new DVDs of Mockingbird and Sting have been finished and sitting around for at least two to three years.  After watching the supplements on The Sting, I'd say I have to agree with that.  Anyone who has seen Marvin Hamlisch lately will likely concur - in the supplements he's about twenty to thirty pounds thinner than he is now.  

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2005, 08:56:30 AM »

While I was at Wal-Mart, I also spied SIN CITY that (I believe) DR MBarnum was talking about the other day. I'd love to see the film, but I don't think I could stand the hyperviolence.

I've shied away from the KILL BILL films for the same reason. It's too graphic for my psyche.

I don't know from Sin City...must have been another DR.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2005, 09:01:04 AM »

I don't know from Sin City...must have been another DR.

Hmmm....maybe DR td. I always get you two handsome gentlemen confused!   ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 09:01:43 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2005, 09:03:12 AM »

As I mentioned, it has been put forth to me that the elements for the new DVDs of Mockingbird and Sting have been finished and sitting around for at least two to three years.  After watching the supplements on The Sting, I'd say I have to agree with that.  Anyone who has seen Marvin Hamlisch lately will likely concur - in the supplements he's about twenty to thirty pounds thinner than he is now.  

I wouldn't be at all surprised about THE STING because I had read YEARS AGO that it was due for a 30th anniversary DVD special edition, which would have put its release date in 2003, and it never happened.

Jason

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2005, 09:03:27 AM »

There was a slight theme for one brief, shining moment, but then she went haywire:

SWEENEY TODD
MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
ASSASSINS
LES MISERABLES SCHOOL EDITION
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
GUYS AND DOLLS
SEUSSICAL
BIG
FAME
TOMMY

JMK

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2005, 09:04:25 AM »

Pat Robertson department:  T minus 9 commandments and counting.   :o

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2005, 09:06:15 AM »

Well, it's lunchtime, and I must start scratching around in the pantry for a midday repast. Will be back later.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2005, 09:07:28 AM »

Pat Robertson department:  T minus 9 commandments and counting.   :o

Yes, I read that quote this morning, and I just shook my head.

And the sad part is that he will emerge from this unscathed, with his "empire" stronger than ever.

Jason

« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2005, 09:19:07 AM »

All I saw on AOL was the headline, "Preacher Wants Leader Killed." I thought he was calling for the assassination of President Bush.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2005, 09:24:36 AM »

TCB celebrating a birthday? My, my... I bet the Spencer's Gifts stores within a 100-mile radius are all sold out of gag gifts!

Have a fantastic day, TCB!!!!!!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2005, 09:25:19 AM »

Great photos, Jose. They make me almost feel as if I was there!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2005, 09:32:59 AM »

Yes, THE HOT ROCK. One of my all-time faves. A great caper film, and a great Quincy Jones score. There's also a great shot of Ron Leibman flying the gang over the not-yet-completed World Trade Center in a helicopter.
ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN
SLAPSHOT
THE STING
Thanks Elmore, for mentioning BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS, which I quite enjoy.

JMK

« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2005, 09:33:33 AM »

All I saw on AOL was the headline, "Preacher Wants Leader Killed." I thought he was calling for the assassination of President Bush.

Well that I could understand!   :P

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2005, 09:37:44 AM »

Make that 10 shows. She just applied for The Who's TOMMY.

I'm sure they are for some group with the word "Children" in it.  As in Children's Theatre!!!  

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2005, 09:39:49 AM »

What do you Big Brother 6 watchers think of this?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2005, 09:46:38 AM »

People were talking about 1976 the other day. I was a little kid, but I still remember the magical feeling in the air during the bicentennial. It really seemed like a national celebration. People really went crazy for it in a way that is hard to imagine now. It seemed like we had cookouts and campouts and parades going on all summer long.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2005, 09:48:18 AM »

There was a slight theme for one brief, shining moment, but then she went haywire:

SWEENEY TODD
MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
ASSASSINS
LES MISERABLES SCHOOL EDITION
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
GUYS AND DOLLS
SEUSSICAL
BIG
FAME
TOMMY

I know the theme I know the theme!!!  Musical with LOTS of parts so all the kids can be in it!!!!! (And she probabaly has to get it approved by the school board)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jason

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2005, 09:49:04 AM »

Well that I could understand!   :P

I was waiting for that.

vixmom

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2005, 09:49:10 AM »

Great photos, Jose. They make me almost feel as if I was there!

ROTFLMAO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2005, 09:54:07 AM »

Here is an interesting Hot Rock story.  When the film opened here in LA it was a complete disaster.  No one went.  Played in Westwood to empty houses.  Fox decided to try something interesting - they had "free" performances - you could literally go in to any showing and see it for free for several days.  No one went, not even for free.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2005, 09:54:51 AM »

Until tomorrow night at midnight, Jet Blue is having an incredible sale - I may book a flight to NY in November - really cheap.

vixmom

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2005, 09:57:17 AM »

DR Jason:  Are there really "powers that be" who wander around checking Community Theatre productions to make sure that they haven't made any changes to the original script?

When the Vixter was in  Peter Pan  people were practically begging the director to cut the parts of the maid, and the non speaking roles of the ostrich, kangeroo and lion.  It only slowed down the action and added not a wit to the story.

She said that any changes like this would be a violation of the performance license and the theatre group would be fined and  never given another  performance license again.

I do not doublt that such language is written into whatever contracts are signed( admittedly I have never been involved in the administrative side of these things so I am entirely clueless.) but how strictly is such a clause enforced?

If you do have people that wander around from performance to performance checking on accuracy how much does the job pay and are there any job openings?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up