Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOCKEY PUCK OF LIFE  (Read 37348 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE HOCKEY PUCK OF LIFE
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2005, 09:04:14 AM »

While someone finds something suitably "graphic" to post, I just want to wish:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Swishy Sarah![/move]

Come back!

Come back!

You've been gone away too long!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 11:20:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2005, 09:05:15 AM »

Put that dance card away, mister!

I won't dance!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:05:32 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »

Yesterday Ron Pulliam opined:

I'd guess our price per gallon is only fractionally taxed (less than 10%, I'd guess).  Our trouble is corporate greed.  So...I'm guessing that when we get up to $5 or $6 a gallon, the government (local/state or federal) will increase the taxes accordingly and we'll then pay $7 to $8 a gallon.

His guess of less than 10% misses the mark.
The current national average is over 20%, more in CA.

Most of the taxes on gasoline are cents/gallon, so as the price of gasoline rises, the percentage of taxes component decreases. In 2002 when the avg price of gas was $1.65, the average tax percentage was 31%.

Federal taxes are 18.4 cents per gallon and CA excise taxes add an additional 18 cents per gallon - all these funds go into highway trust funds earmarked for infrastructure improvements. In CA the state then adds a 7.25% sales tax (which goes to the General Fund), and indivual counties add up to an additional 1.25% sales tax which is usually earmarked for transportation projects.

Had our Federal and State government levied their gasoline taxes as a percentage rather than a fixed cents/gallon (which would have made more sense), then our highway trust funds could have kept up with the infrastructure demands - the Federal Interstates are fast becoming an embarassment! Compounding the highway funding picture is the fact that as cars get better mileage, the government collects fewer dollars per mile driven.

As to the fears of rising pump prices stimualting a grab for higher taxes, the opposite has been true - as pump prices rise, consumers (voters) are clamoring for the government to reduce the taxes!

If you want to point a finger a coporate greed as a factor in CA gasoline prices - don't look at the the Oil companies, aim for the midwest farmers and ADM who pressured the Feds to make CA use corn-based ethanol even thouhgh the state refineries could create gasoline that met all state and federal emission requirements without it! Here in DE, we feed corn to the chickens, in CA the feds make you feed corn to the Chevvy!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2005, 09:16:31 AM »

And I can't forget about RED GARTERS which is also due out next week.

Sorry, DR JRand. I'll be buying it, too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:17:24 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2005, 09:16:53 AM »

And now for something completely different:

Here's to all the Hainsies and Kimlets on a job well done!

WE ROCK!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:19:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2005, 09:19:45 AM »

As for DVDs I'd like:

THE PIRATE - without question, and I'd want them to use Ultra-Resolution to bring out every color in Vincenete Minnelli's wild color design for the film. (Yes, I know he's not the art director credited in the film, but we all know he had designs in his head before he ever had a single meeting with the art department).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:20:38 AM by Matt H. »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2005, 09:21:07 AM »

I'm still IMpatiently waiting for the Judy and Mickey set.

And the Andy Hardy set.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2005, 09:21:42 AM »

I want a "Maisie" set, too.

And DVDs of "Words and Music" and "Till the Clouds Roll By."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2005, 09:22:21 AM »

Sigh!

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2005, 09:23:20 AM »

I'd also like ZIEGFELD FOLLIES, SUMMER STOCK, I LOVE MELVIN, IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER, THE OPPOSITE SEX, HIT THE DECK, TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY, WORDS AND MUSIC, THE BELLE OF NEW YORK, all with corresponding outtakes, either visual or audio.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2005, 09:23:43 AM »

Yesterday Jane made mention of a bus tour from Munich to Salzburg, which DP Woody remarked that we had taken.

He failed to mention that the "bus trip" also included a boat excursion across a sparkling Austrain Lake to the beutiful and pisturesque town of St.Wolfgang.

In my role as typical American Tourist, I shall not regale you with lovely photos of some of God's finer creations, rather I shall be self-indulgent and show you ME - on the boat to St. Wolfgang.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2005, 09:26:01 AM »

I'm still IMpatiently waiting for the Judy and Mickey set.

And the Andy Hardy set.

Since THE THIN MAN was such a big hit, I wonder if they couldn't make some $$$ with more series sets: MAISIE, DR. KILDARE, ANDY HARDY.

No, those films didn't have the production values of THE THIN MAN films which were A-films and not done with B-unit budgets and shooting schedules. But they're still very entertaining.

Yes, a Mickey-Judy boxed set is sadly lacking. Are those minstrel shows in the two BABES movies the reason they aren't being released?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2005, 09:28:33 AM »

Yesterday, Danise, speaking of Kristins, posted:

If that hurricane had turned...... but for the Grace of God, go I.... is all that I can think.

She is not alone in bringing the Almighty into the debate:

PHILADELPHIA - Just days before "Southern Decadence", an annual homosexual celebration attracting tens of thousands of people to the French Quarters section of New Orleans, an act of God destroys the city.

"Although the loss of lives is deeply saddening, this act of God destroyed a wicked city," stated Repent America director Michael Marcavage. "From ‘Girls Gone Wild’ to ‘Southern Decadence’, New Orleans was a city that opened its doors wide open to the public celebration of sin. May it never be the same," he continued.

New Orleans is also known for its Mardi Gras parties where thousands of drunken men revel in the streets to exchange plastic jewelry for drunken women to expose their breasts. This annual event sparked the creation of the "Girls Gone Wild" video series.

"Let us pray for those ravaged by this disaster. However, we must not forget that the citizens of New Orleans tolerated and welcomed the wickedness in their city for so long," Marcavage said. "May this act of God cause us all to think about what we tolerate in our city limits, and bring us trembling before the throne of Almighty God," Marcavage concluded.

The above rant, courtesy of REPENT AMERICA

der Brucer

WOE UNTO THE TOWNS AND CITIES WITH "HOOTERS", FOR THEY SHALL BE COMSUMED WITH FIRE!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2005, 09:28:34 AM »

Yesterday Jane made mention of a bus tour from Munich to Salzburg, which DP Woody remarked that we had taken.

He failed to mention that the "bus trip" also included a boat excursion across a sparkling Austrain Lake to the beutiful and pisturesque town of St.Wolfgang.

In my role as typical American Tourist, I shall not regale you with lovely photos of some of God's finer creations, rather I shall be self-indulgent and show you ME - on the boat to St. Wolfgang.

der Brucer

Thank you for that lovely photo of one of God's finer creations!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2005, 09:28:51 AM »

A gorgeously flattering picture of you, DR der Brucer. You should use this as your avatar.

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2005, 09:30:39 AM »

For those who will be in NYC on Sunday, October 2, here's something that might be fun to do.  Alas, I'm not scheduled to arrive until Monday (the bad news) and while this Great Read event is going on, DH Richard and I will be seeing the touring My Fair Lady at Dayton's Schuster Center (the good news).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:33:02 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2005, 09:33:58 AM »

DR DER BRUCER - Thank you for the Repent America article.  I think.  Truly made me sick to my stomach.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2005, 09:34:49 AM »

And now to head off into another city known for its sinful lifestyle...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2005, 09:35:08 AM »

For Ask BK Day:

What American film which is not already out on DVD and not scheduled presently to come out on DVD would you most like to see?

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2005, 09:36:12 AM »

And didn't I read somewhere that FLOWER DRUM SONG is scheduled for release some time this year? If not, add it to my list.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2005, 09:42:16 AM »

For DRs Jane, TomovOz and anyone else with pets:

When Miss Vickie passed, I opted for cremation and return to me of her ashes.  I got the ashes on Friday.  They were in a small cedar box with a lock and keys.

I cannot begin to tell you how comforting it was to put that box on the table by my favorite chair.  It is maudlin and sappy and I don't care.  It helps a great deal.  

I still plan, at Christmas, to take her ashes to SC and mix them into the soil above the grave of another beloved cat.

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2005, 09:42:41 AM »

DR der Brucer - I was just wondering this morning how long it would take for stuff like the Repent America piece to surface.  Unfortunately, not long...

On a brighter note, your photo is wonderful!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2005, 09:45:44 AM »

I am having dinner with a former co-worker this evening.  He is probably the most avid "cat person" I know.  His former wife and he "share" custody of a geriatric cat, although the cat resides with her.  This cat is now on IV saline treatments every other day and he must assist her (he has remarried...and they have two cats "together"!).  

I had 9 bags of "lactated ringers' (that's saline solution to the uninitiated), along with the IV tubes and needles that I'm giving to him.  (One bag is good for about a week or week and a half of IV treatments). Had I not known of anyone who needed them, I'd probably have donated them to my vet's office.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2005, 09:46:29 AM »

DR Jose:  You nailed my problem.  I'm certain of it.  I have such a rush going right now I can barely stop myself from typing.

Stream of consciousness, folks.  That's what you're getting.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2005, 09:46:57 AM »

I

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2005, 09:47:05 AM »

Just

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2005, 09:47:16 AM »

MIGHT

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2005, 09:47:33 AM »

Dance,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2005, 09:48:03 AM »

After

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2005, 09:48:46 AM »

All!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up