Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: EASY LIVING  (Read 24706 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EASY LIVING
« on: November 19, 2003, 12:06:18 AM »

Well, if you've read the notes (and who hasn't?) you know what to do, don't you?  Oh, yes, you know what to do, so do it and do it often.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 12:09:24 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:EASY LIVING
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 12:22:28 AM »

Let's make this an affair to remember, shall we?  Let's make this a swingin' affair, shall we?  Let's make this a catered affair, shall we?  And, after we're done, let's make this the end of the affair, shall we?  Otherwise we'll all be singing Have I Stayed too Long at Affair.  We don't allow groaning here at haineshisway.com.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 12:31:47 AM »

Happy Birthday, Jason!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Laura II

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 12:32:33 AM »

Yay! This could be the first post after BK! I just want to say happy birthday to Jason again!  A very merry...birthday to you, to you! (It's almost an Alice in Wonderland reference!)

I love the dog exchange you mentioned, BK! My aunt used to tell that joke to my little brother and me when we were younger. It always made us laugh!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Laura II

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 12:33:20 AM »

Ah well, it's not the first post, but I tried. :) Goodnight all!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 12:42:51 AM »

I've just seen the "Defying Gravity" number from "Wicked" as performed by Idina Menzel on the Letterman show.

I thought it was thrilling!  It wasn't the experience it is in the theater, of course, because you don't have the perspective -- you're getting closeups or looking "up" at it and that number requires a bit of distance, and elevation, to be properly appreciated.

I also don't believe there was any lip-synching -- if there was, it was absolutely, dead-on perfect down to breaths.  

How great to have this on tape, though!

I admit to feeling great pangs of envy and jealousy when David pulled out that CD of the cast recording!!  It's possible/conceivable that it was only the jewel box with cover insert (same artwork as the poster).  They only recorded the score 9 days ago...could it have been finalized and pressed already?????

It's not due until Dec. 16th.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 12:47:59 AM by Ron Pulliam »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 01:03:38 AM »

Ron, I taped "Defying Gravity" on Letterman and just watched it.  I thought it was wonderful, too!  :o  I taped Kristin & Idina singing "Popular" last week on The Today Show.  I have my VCR hooked up to my computer and I'm going to put them on my next compilation CD...it'll be my CD #14.

;D And again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON!! ;D

And Good Night All!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 01:06:36 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 02:51:36 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Jason!!Happy Birthday, Jason!![/move]

So many posts happen after I go away!  Whew!  Sometimes I have to go back a read the notes again to remember the Topic of the Day because I have so many pages of notes to read from the previous day....and....well it's a....I don't know what it is.  ???

DR Jennifer - someone had asked about the smilie site yesterday and I didn't scroll back before posting the link - sorry it wasn't you and I used your name - but SOMEONE wanted it!  :)

Anyway - my question for ASK BK day - last week I asked you if "Bachelor Bills" from Naked Space had been published, and you said none of your songs had been published.  I thought that is how composers received their royalties, through their publishing companies?  Is there another way?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 03:55:12 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=15]Happy Birthday Jason[/size][/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
[/move]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 04:01:10 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 04:02:37 AM »

For BK and all DR:

Since this is Jason's Birthday my question is this:

What is the best birthday present you ever received?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 04:42:22 AM »

My BEST birthday present ever was my very own record player when I was eleven years old.  ;D

It wasn't this exact one - but the color is the same: Coral!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 06:11:54 AM »

I assure you all, I have not wanted to be absent and delinquent, but I have been battling another round of chronic depression, and have found under such circumstances that it is better for me to withdraw or suffer the consequences of stupid posts.

This is also why I have not continued with the story of Driving Towards Orion, because my writing abilities are seriously impared at these times.
(I've been getting e-mails, asking when the next chapter can be expected!  Whooda thunk?)

In any case, I have to disagree with our esteemed leader, BK, because I frankly and fredly enjoy The Return of the Pink Panther more than the original film.  Part of my preference is due to some of the action/suspence sequences, such as the one that details the stealing of the the PP diamond at the beginning of the film.  Another part is due to Mancini's score, which I find superior to his first.  And part is due to this being the first Pink Panther film that I actually saw in a theater, as opposed to viewing it on broadcast television, which colors my bias in ways I cannot express, other than saying that my bias is indeed colored pink.

The dogs all wish everyone well.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 06:12:06 AM »

"Where is everybody?" Twilight Zone with Earl Holliman, 1959.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 06:19:46 AM »

It does occur to me that the phrase "frankly and fredly" indeed has a family reference for me, as my father's name is Fred, and his brother was named Frank.

Actually, his brother was named Benjamin Franklin White, which my grandfather offered as a joking reference and the doctor dutifully wrote on the birth certificate.  This stands as evidence that one should never deal with a humorless doctor, because if a doctor doesn't know where the humor is located then we're all in real trouble!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 06:23:24 AM »

The "dog" scene is one of the funniest EVER!

I also enjoy the scene, and I think this is in the first PP movie, when Mr Sellars is attempting to get into bed with Capucine (?) and keeps getting interrupted!  And when he is about to reveal the identity of the culprit and keeps stepping on the foot of one of the women as he walks around the couch, making her scream loudly!  :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 06:26:46 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2003, 06:27:13 AM »

Welcome back SWW!

Jason

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2003, 06:33:58 AM »

Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone...! :)

Now I'm off to that hateful job. Pray for me. (And pray that I get a slice of cake).

Emily

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2003, 06:42:46 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY CAKEDAY TO JASON!!![/move]

Being the goyishe girl that I am, I have never danced the hora.  Although trust me that the first chance I have, I will be horaing for your birthday like crazy!

Someone yesterday referred to this site becoming a Grade 10 Study Hall.  

All right.  You get what you asked for mysterious person whose name I am too lazy to look up.  

I am going to spend today being calm, cool and mature.  God help us all. :)

ASK BK: hmm... don't you feel you just don't understand kids these days?  I mean really. With their limp bizkits and their low rise jeans.  Things are so COMPLETELY different from the good old days of our youth... Sigh...

ASK DR: is everyone excited about tax season?  I know I am.  

I hope those questions were adequately mature (and consequently BORING) enough for all of you. :)  

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2003, 06:54:00 AM »

DR Emily - notwithstanding what 10th graders may think - mature does NOT equal Boring.

Emily

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2003, 07:00:31 AM »

Mature does not equal boring unless one is trying outright to be mature - instead of it coming naturally to you.

My arthritis is acting up again... ;)

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2003, 07:24:42 AM »

DR Jason:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Have Yourself a Merry Little Birthday![/move]

with apologies to Blane and Martin
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2003, 07:27:18 AM »

Emily, once again you have me in stiches! You have made my morning! I would have given you karma but I must wait the requisite 72 hours from when I last gave you karma!!  ;D

I think I need to see a Pink Panther movie again. Haven't watched one since I was a wee young one.

And a HUGE happy birthday to Jason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D ;) ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :o ;D :D ;D :D ;D[/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2003, 07:29:16 AM »

OH, and I agree with the choice of winner for the smilie contest...they are were great!!! It was a lot of fun to see the different smilies!!!  :-*  Although I didn't have time to post yesterday (work was very,  very busy) I did lurk when I could!

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2003, 07:31:21 AM »

And at the rate I am going it will take me forever to become an HHW God!  >:(

And I could have sworn I had 19 karmas. Maybe I have been bad, which ain't good!  ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2003, 07:32:20 AM »

Would someone please give Emily some karma for me? Everytime I read her last post I just start laughing so hard!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 07:33:04 AM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2003, 07:33:29 AM »

I gave her some yesterday, so I am blocked too!  

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2003, 07:34:41 AM »

Isn't it a great feeling when you find someone who shares your same opinion? DR S. Woody and I agree completely on THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER, also my favorite of all the Pink Panther movies. The character had been away from the movies for quite a few years when that film was released, and bringing him back in a movie he so dominates was a wonderful treat. I remember being sick with laughter in the theater. And the film wasn't too long, something that was harmful to THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN even though it was the biggest grossing hit of the series.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2003, 07:37:44 AM »

Well, my songs are all "published" in the sense that they're registered with ASCAP under my publishing company, hence I collect royalties.  They are not published in the sense that they are available as sheet music in stores.

Best birthday present: For my 40th I was taken to Las Vegas for a day and night, given moolah to gamble with, and it was a lovely time.

Kids today: What's the matter with kids today?  Usually their parents.  And the media.  And the advertisers.  And the people who allow "role models" like Britney Spears to influence the way children dress and act, children who are way too young to do so.  I don't know what limp bizkits are (I'm afraid to ask) but as is no surprise around these here parts, I loathe low jeans, I loathe thong underwear (and any parent who lets a child under thirteen wear them is a first-class jerk) - I don't know, I saw a poster of Britney over the weekend, and between the jeans which were so low that she might as well have been wearing nothing (certainly she couldn't even wear underwear under them, and the tattoo the must have been micro-inches above her most initmate part, well blow me over with a mack truck but blechhh).

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2003, 07:38:33 AM »

For Ask BK Day: I was listening to Jason Graae's excellent YOU'RE NEVER FULLY DRESSED WITHOUT A SMILE CD yesterday, and I was just wanting to confirm an assumption I had. Is that you, bk, talking to Jason at the end of "Applause"? It's a cute bit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2003, 07:40:21 AM »

I suppose part of my problem with Return of the Pink Panther is that I first saw it at a "sneak preview" at the Village in Westwood.  It was excruciating - the audience was so excited and so up for it and after the opening it just went on and on and on and was painful to watch.  They ended up reshooting half (and I do mean half) the film.  So, I've just never have been able to get that first showing out of my head.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up