Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL DAY  (Read 79881 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL DAY
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2005, 02:24:52 PM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2005, 02:25:46 PM »

I love the Verve "modern art" jazz covers of the 60s.  I also love the Astrud Gilberto cover for Windy, for which I own the original painting by Howard Terpning.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2005, 02:28:27 PM »

My only purchase at the book fair was a new book on artist Joseph Clement Coll.

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2005, 02:55:32 PM »

Johnny Mathis?  Oh my....I don't think he recorded many songs I didn't like - BUT special favorites in addition to Wonderful, Wonderful:

Chances Are
Small World
Namely You
His albums got rather bland in the mid 60's but those fifties/early 60's  tracks stand up so well.
"A Certain Smile" was big seller here in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2005, 02:57:41 PM »

I don't get much in the way of spam/spoof mail. The Bank account details (All rather silly as they are all USA banks)have stopped arriving.  Now I am getting ebay (Which I've never used) and Amazon emails (which are more of a worry!) asking for updates!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2005, 03:01:24 PM »

What are everyone's favorite LP covers?

Valley of the Dolls is nice.

First one to come to mind was "Sgt Peppers". "Revolver" was great. "Dark Side Of The Moon" is another.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2005, 03:09:36 PM »

What are everyone's favorite LP covers?

I love The Manhattan Transfer's "The Best of" album:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2005, 03:23:11 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

My two purchases were a very rare Evan Hunter book - his first - a sci-fi novel totally unrelated to the work he's known for (as both Evan Hunter and Ed McBain).  Best of all, Gavin Lambert's Inside Daisy Clover, a first edition in jacket.  I have been searching for thirty years for a copy of the jacket that does not have a faded spine, which is virtually impossible for this book.  My most recent copy, a really excellent jacket with just a tiny bit of the pink left on the spine was the closest.  Today, I found a great copy of the book, and, as usual the jacket spine had no pink left at all.  But, when I opened the book, the dealer had written "includes TWO dust jackets".  This happens from time to time, a book is accidentally packaged with two dust jackets.  I removed the first spine-faded jacket to find a completely unfaded spine on the second jacket - pink as can be.  I may have the only copy of the book with an unfaded spine.  The only reason it hadn't faded was because it was kept under the first jacket and never saw sunlight.  I got really good deals on both books.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2005, 03:39:14 PM »

Sondheim flops:  Well I once again quote my late Uncle, who invested in many a Sondheim show:  "You can always count on Steve for a nice tax write-off."

Johnny Mathis:  Johnny did a few sessions with Sergio Mendes, with whom he did not get along (a fate shared by Sarah Vaughan, evidently, when she worked with Sergio).  Some nice stuff, available on his boxed set (I don't think the singles were ever officially released).

Which brings me to favorite album cover:  Sergio's Fool on the Hill, which was quite the scandal back in 1968 (several major retailers such as Sears insisted a red sticker be strategically placed before they would sell the album).  Of course if you open the gatefold you realize that poor woman is anatomically a disaster.  ;)

And may I just say that with names like Janice Verity and Freddy Fate I fear we have wandered into a British film from the late 30s, redolent of fluff strands.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 03:41:39 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2005, 03:42:27 PM »

I've been sitting here like so much fish, watching a bit of TV over my shoulder and burning a double-CD of the L.A. Theatre Works' broadcast of Falsettos with members of the original Broadway cast.  Now, however, I must take a shower (finally) and get some gas at Costco.  I also need to do some other shopping at Costco, so that's what I'll be doing.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2005, 03:43:40 PM »

And congratulations on the book purchases, BK!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2005, 03:44:13 PM »

I'll be making der Brucer soup for dinner tonight.  His request.  He's bogged with the cold I had last week.

"Bleh!" (A Year with Frog and Toad reference.)

I'll be starting with chicken thighs, chopped up, and adding some carrots and rice.  I'm thinking of adding some ginger, for flavor, along with some cilantro, ditto, and some water chestnuts for texture.

Of course, I could make it even more interesting with some shrimp.  But something tells me he wants comfort food more than anything else, so the shrimp will be staying in the freezer for the time being.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2005, 03:44:15 PM »

Gimmicky but I liked Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick" cover.

The Carole King albums of the early 70's have good covers too.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2005, 03:46:55 PM »

I've been informed by der B that we'll be grandladsitting again tomorrow.

I'd rather be free to be on-call for work tomorrow, but I got out-voted.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2005, 03:49:43 PM »

Johnny Mathis did a duet with Jane Olivor and Jane Olivor had a duet with Gene Pitney. Gene Pitney had duets with George Jones who no doubt had a duet with Willie Nelson who had a duet with everyone including Ray Charles which could lead us even further... k d lang, Roy Orbison ,Emmy Lou Harris to Linda Ronstadt to James Ingram .....

I'm not sure even where I wanted to end up with all that.. singing to myself I guess.

It's a quiet Sunday at HHW and a very quiet Monday morning in Oz.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2005, 03:56:56 PM »

Well I'm trying to keep the ship afloat.
More album covers: Dire Straits "Love Over Gold"  Bob Seger "Against The Wind"
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2005, 03:59:02 PM »

OBC of "A Little Night Music" is still one of my favourites but I think we covered that in theatre art.
The soundtrack album ruined it!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »

Magnus and Fosca think it is time for the morning ride in the car to the Post Office. I know who is in charge.
Back later.
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2005, 04:06:08 PM »

DR MattH, I would have killed for that NFL football ticket.  I have only been to one NFL game live.  But I totally loved it.  I do not watch games every week.  But if i have a team to cheer for, I enjoy the sport a lot.

Oh I meant to comment on this week's next to last episode of Veronica Mars (i won't get to watch the finale till next weekend so don't spoil it).

But I really enjoyed this show.  And I got to watch it on UPN (since my sis taped it), so i also got to see the preview for next season.

One thing I was wondering about, was why Veronica was so freaked when she found the cameras.  Does she think Logan was going to tape them?  I really don't understand why she didn't confront him.  Or maybe that would have told us why she was mad. Or maybe it's supposed to be obvious.

td

• td
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2005, 04:06:56 PM »

I always wondered why they got the first solo songs in the movie and not Cybill and Burt, who were the "stars."
In case it hasn't been answered. . .
Those two songs were added to the ABC television premiere of AT LONG LAST LOVE, and are in every cable version since run.
I find it fascinating to introduce the second romantic leads first.
IIRC, "I Love Him," though it appears on the soundtrack, was also cut from initial runs but re-instated for television. . .I could be wrong.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2005, 04:10:04 PM »

DR Cillaliz, RE: the big brother live feeds.

I am so happy that April has finally seen the light. I think this is one reason why the Friendship are hated, because they are hypocrites.  I am glad that April realizes that she has said some horrible things in the Diary room.   And that Janelle has never done that.  I think I am starting to like Yapril a bit more.

I despise Maggie the most. I really want to hurt her.  While she has listened to april, and is worried about how she is being portrayed, I think she needs to realize 1) how she's manipulated Iv/Ap, and 2) how much garbage has come out of her mouth.

I am sickened by how Maggie has threatened the other women. She basically said that if they take Janelle to F2, then they lose all the Friendship votes. So basically Ivette would have no choice but to take MAggie. To me, if Ivette wins HOH then she should be allowed to do what is best for her to win. Not what is best for maggie.

I think BB wants an Ivette/Janelle final. My only hope is that either America gets to vote somehow, or that April votes for Janelle.

td

• td
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2005, 04:12:13 PM »

Favorite Album Covers:

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2005, 04:23:57 PM »

And I have mail from somewhere called "Kritzerland".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2005, 04:44:13 PM »

Is there a fenzy out there somewhere?
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2005, 04:46:46 PM »

My paper is due tomorrow, so I've just finished the procrastinating stage and am moving into the shutting-up-and-actually-doing-it stage.

Then I get to start all over again with a research paper, and then a critical analysis, and then another essay. Is it just me, or have my teachers started burying me under paper assignments early this semester?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2005, 04:49:07 PM »

When I hd a quick look at album art before, I remembered "Blood Sweat & Tears". It was one of those albums that really hit me for six when I bought it. I think I had only heard "You've Made Me So Very Happy" and "Spinning Wheel". "And When I Die" was a sensation.  I quite like the cover of the album that preceded it. "Child Is Father To the Man" which included Mr Randy Newman's "Just One Smile". Always thought it should have been a hit for Gene Pitney.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2005, 04:49:53 PM »

I remain hopeful that one day BK will produce an album of Randy Newman songs.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2005, 04:51:28 PM »

Just remember DR Sandra that if you are buried, dig your way out by following the fluff strands.
James Thurber 1957

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2005, 04:55:26 PM »

Tomovoz:  Have you heard Sergio's most excellent arrangement of "Sometimes in Winter"?  One of his most haunting from the late Brasil '66 period, featuring a classic Lani performance.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 04:56:42 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2005, 05:03:57 PM »

No JMK. Sounds like a great combination. Beautiful song and you know how I feel about the voice of Mrs Alpert.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 05:05:39 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up