Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LEISURE SUIT  (Read 106241 times)

François de Paris

Re:LEISURE SUIT
« Reply #270 on: September 16, 2005, 08:43:18 PM »

I'm gone to the dogs!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #271 on: September 16, 2005, 08:43:25 PM »

After I finished Act I of BEN-HUR, I took it out and put in A STAR IS BORN (1954). I had not watched it on the "new" TV, so I put it on and was startled at the credits. I think this is the first time I've noticed exactly what colors they were and the style of print. I guess it took a bigger screen to finally notice them, but I was amazed by them. I watched it through the scenes after the preview cards have been distributed. I'll finish it tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #272 on: September 16, 2005, 08:44:31 PM »

DR SWW - The only part of Jim Dale's audiobook testimonial that I found off-putting was when he suggested using them when parents don't have time to actually sit down and read to the children.
"Don't have time" is code for "can't be bothered."

You have good reason to be off-put.  So do der B and I.

>:(
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2005, 08:45:06 PM »

After I finished Act I of BEN-HUR, I took it out and put in A STAR IS BORN (1954). I had not watched it on the "new" TV, so I put it on and was startled at the credits. I think this is the first time I've noticed exactly what colors they were and the style of print. I guess it took a bigger screen to finally notice them, but I was amazed by them. I watched it through the scenes after the preview cards have been distributed. I'll finish it tomorrow.

You should see MY credits DR MattH! They have quite a style of print! Oh yes! :D

Matt H.

« Reply #274 on: September 16, 2005, 08:47:28 PM »

I also watched the two hour premiere of THRESHOLD tonight. Nice pulpy sci-fi series, I think. It doesn't have the richness of LOST (yet), and the characters don't seem wildly interesting as individuals, but perhaps they'll get more interesting as the series unfolds.

There were certainly several JUMP OUT OF YOUR SEAT moments, and I was a willing target for them.

One silly thing, though. One character who has been transformed by the aliens took four shots to the chest and was unfazed by them. FIne, but why are all the main characters armed and fire at the transformed humans when it's been shown they aren't affected by bullets? It seems dopey to me.

Matt H.

« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2005, 08:48:50 PM »

You should see MY credits DR MattH! They have quite a style of print! Oh yes! :D

Is this the 21st Century invitation akin to showing someone your etchings a century or more ago?   ::)

Matt H.

« Reply #276 on: September 16, 2005, 08:50:18 PM »

And I got that heinous kitchen floor mopped, too. Now I can enjoy the weekend knowing I don't have that job still to do tomorrow or Sunday.

Matt H.

« Reply #277 on: September 16, 2005, 08:53:02 PM »

VERONICA MARS Season 1 SPOILERS -

I thought the policeman that Veronica dated was the killer.

I think the gang leader is who is at Veronica's door.

FJL

« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2005, 08:59:03 PM »

It seemed that last year's NYMF shows were more by newer writers, but I wonder of that's a function of NYMF being brand new last year, so less able to attract writers with track records last year than they are this year.  

We're going to see THE MISTRESS CYCLE tomorrow, and that's by Jenny Giering and Beth Blatt, who have already amassed a major reputation to the point where they're working with Marsha Norman on another musical (PRINCESS CARABOO) that's going to be at NAMT (the National Alliance) next month.    

And THE BIG TIME is by Douglas Carter Beane and Doug Cohen, the version of BONNIE AND CLYDE at NYMF has music by Dana Rowe, who's composed for the West End already.  It seems the NYMF graduated very quickly from emerging writers to writers that are closer to being established writers.    

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2005, 08:59:24 PM »

Old Yeller!

Okay, DR Francois--let's not segue into the June Allyson jokes.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

François de Paris

« Reply #280 on: September 16, 2005, 09:03:09 PM »

Is this the 21st Century invitation akin to showing someone your etchings a century or more ago?   ::)

I guess it could be... but I want the credit for that... too! ;)

FJL

« Reply #281 on: September 16, 2005, 09:05:07 PM »

Thanks all for the responses re dog-related songs.  I should have known it was too simple an idea not to have been done already.  I guess I'll consider putting my idea for a CANINE CABARET on my list of things that were just not meant to be.   That is, unless I can come up with another angle to make it original.

François de Paris

« Reply #282 on: September 16, 2005, 09:06:12 PM »

Okay, DR Francois--let's not segue into the June Allyson jokes.

Good news; I would never joke about June Allyson! Besides, I don't have the Versatility (Drag?) for such a thing! I love my June, and my May and my every-month-of the-year girl!! :D
How Swell!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 09:06:42 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #283 on: September 16, 2005, 09:16:48 PM »

And I got that heinous kitchen floor mopped, too. Now I can enjoy the weekend knowing I don't have that job still to do tomorrow or Sunday.

I guess if you were Miss White, (Snow for the men, short or tall -- I wonder if she ever married S Woody!) you would not be moping about mopping the kitchen floor and you'd be whistling about it! That's how things went a century or more ago... I've heard!

Sifflez En Travaillant....

I'm Mopping My Prince Will Rince Someday....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 09:19:11 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2005, 09:17:48 PM »

Thanks all for the responses re dog-related songs.  I should have known it was too simple an idea not to have been done already.  I guess I'll consider putting my idea for a CANINE CABARET on my list of things that were just not meant to be.   That is, unless I can come up with another angle to make it original.

Woof! Woof! He's a tramp! Woof!

Tomovoz

« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2005, 09:19:28 PM »

So it's "Out Damn Spot" then.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2005, 09:22:01 PM »

So it's "Out Damn Spot" then.

While scrubbing the cabine's floor? Oh yes!
The spot's on me!
Welcome to my chow-chow! ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2005, 09:25:13 PM »

OK, it is DONE!

BEN-HUR has now been ordered.

Matt H.

« Reply #288 on: September 16, 2005, 09:26:28 PM »

And now I need to get some rest.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the evening (or morning in the case of our lusty Frenchman!)  ;)

Good night.

François de Paris

« Reply #289 on: September 16, 2005, 09:42:59 PM »

And now I need to get some rest.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the evening (or morning in the case of our lusty Frenchman!)  ;)

Good night.
To get some rest of what???!

Good rest, Mr Welcome Matt!
FYI, lusty Frenchman is redundant! :)

td

• td
« Reply #290 on: September 16, 2005, 09:43:49 PM »

OK, it is DONE!

BEN-HUR has now been ordered.

It isn't over. . .the race isn't over, yet,  Judah. . .look for them in the valley of the lepers. . .

Well, I finished up the viewing of BEN-HUR.  Just wait until the storm sequence near the end for truly awesome bass. . .

Noticed so many new things this time around - and actually it hasn't been that long since I watched this film.  i.e.,  Drusus and Messala - can we say that the subtext becomes textual? ? ?

I'll more than likely watch the silent version tomorrow.  After reading bk's notes of course.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #291 on: September 16, 2005, 09:47:47 PM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

Hmmm...  I've been researching some stuff on/via/through the internet for the past hour or so.  I found a bunch of answers to questions I've had about various and sundried things.  And I also found "answers" to questions I never thought I would ever ask - if that makes sense.

It's all music and music-biz related, so don't go there DR elmore.  ;)

*Although, I did come across one interesting tidbit which you might be interested in.  I'll call you.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2005, 09:50:47 PM »

DR FJL - When I was an accompanist at Catholic University, I played for a lot of musical theatre recitals - sometimes three in one day!  All those receptions!  All that cake!  ;)

In any case...  One of the young women I played for, "plotted" her musical around a dog, her pet.  From the moment she got the dog, to the moment the dog died - and everything in between.  She did have a bunch of actual "dog songs", but she was also able to use some standards here and there to refer to her relationship with the dog.  One of the better "concepts" for a recital I've played for.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2005, 09:51:31 PM »

And there's a workshop of something called "Dog Songs" coming up in NYC in the next few weeks.  I coached a singer this afternoon who was auditioning for it.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2005, 09:57:18 PM »

As for the shows in the NYMF - Not all the works have to be new.  There are some productions getting their first "major" production mounted during the festival, but a bunch of the works have been around for a while - maybe just not in New York (LA, Chicago, etc.).

There are also two distinct categories of mainstage shows.  There is the "Next Link" series which focuses on newer shows, and the NYMF provides them with the opportunity to get the show on it's feet for the first (or second) time.  There is also an "Invited" series which is comprised of shows that the NYMF staff has seen around the country.  And as BK pointed out earlier, some of these shows have been around for years already.  Heck, there's even a production of Six Women On the Verge of Braindeath (or Expiring Minds Want to Know) as part of this year's festival - and that show has been around for at least 15 years if not more by this time.

If the "ravers" on the chat boards can't read up on the show they're seeing, well... they don't read up on anything.  Ah, well..
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2005, 09:58:20 PM »

Oh... and there's also a show floating around called Pets which doesn't concentrate exclusively on dogs, but they're still in there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2005, 10:00:21 PM »

...I also think that NYMF is trying to pick some properties that can indeed move onto bigger venues (like last years's Altar Boyz and The Great American Trailer Park Musical).  Well, that they HOPE will move on to other venues.  Nothing like a good track record to attract talent.  And money.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2005, 10:03:56 PM »

RE: "Threshold" - Eh.  There were some good moments, but a lot of those moments came between some patches of forced dialog, and bad attempts at humor.  I kept thinking that the writers were trying to catch some of that very sly and dry humor that's a trademark of the "CSI" franchises.  There were just a lot of bad jokes.  And with the somewhat top-notch cast (Carla Gugino, Brent Spiner, Charles Dutton, etc.), I was expecting the writers to step up.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2005, 10:04:23 PM »

Ohh.... Guess I'm in the midst of a frenzy.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #299 on: September 16, 2005, 10:05:49 PM »

DR Tomovoz - Thank you for the "reminder" regarding Derek's good-bye.  His family - both his immediate and extended - will be in my thoughts.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up