Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: IMPREGNATED BY MY COMPUTER  (Read 20452 times)

Danise

Re:IMPREGNATED BY MY COMPUTER
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2005, 06:46:45 AM »

Back for a moment.  I'm still not sure what the plan is for dinner, someone please give me a call later on and let me know.

Laters!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2005, 06:52:34 AM »

It's been nice reading of the fun times the New York gathering has been having.  Wish I could be up there with y'all.

TOD:  First awareness of computers was from such TV shows as Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Lost In Space, Batman and Star Trek.  Then, when I was nine or ten, I got a Digi-Comp, which was a sort of home computer/model kit.  You were supposed to be able to do binary calculations on it, but I couldn't care less about that.  I just liked the way the pieces moved when you pushed the level back and forth.

It wasn't until college that I got my hands on a real computer.  At first, I just thought it was little more than a glorified electronic typewriter but I evenutally found it a great tool to search for information, play games and chat with other people from all over the country (it wasn't yet the internet, but it was close.)

Like DR WEL, my first home computer was a Timex Sinclair.  It was a fun toy to play with but pretty much useless as an actual computer.  I wish I still had mine, though.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2005, 06:54:51 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

First awareness of computers... Most likely some TV show... "Star Trek" seems like a likely candidate... Or maybe even "Knight Rider", "Space: 1999", etc.

First computer experience - One of those humongous Tandy deals with the two 5-1/4" floppy drives.

First home computer - A Commodore 64, eventually an IBM 286 purchased from Sears - Thank You, Mom and Dad!

First internet - Prodigy

Current commputer - An Apple iBookG4 purchased earlier this year.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2005, 06:55:19 AM »

...And I still have yet to play Bookworm!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2005, 06:55:42 AM »

And I have to agree with TPunk...it was NOISY!! LOL! Which gave very little opportunity to chat with anyone....and even when someone was talking to me I would usually just nod by head and smile or laugh as though I actually was able to hear what they said! LOL!

LOL!  Be careful, DR MB--I've gotten people to agree to various types of activities when I knew they couldn't hear exactly what I was saying.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2005, 06:57:47 AM »

Danise, your PM box is full. I'll give you a call right now on your cell.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2005, 06:58:19 AM »

Yes, Splash can get loud and dark... But there are places in town that are actually louder and darker.  But I think that's part of the "experience".  ???

*And as usual, I've woken up with a slightly sore throat.  Singing along with Ms. Holliday always does me in.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2005, 07:00:14 AM »

Hmm....  Tomorrow, tomorrow...

It's looking like it will be warm - not hot - and there may be some humidity in the air.  Dress accordingly.

And, remember, Bring your umbrellas!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2005, 07:01:19 AM »

Hey, Miss Hegerty  ;)

I just left a message on your cell phone voice mail.

I don't know if you're still on-line.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2005, 07:07:34 AM »

First internet - Prodigy

Ah, yes--Prodigy--my first home internet experience, also.  I found it amazing that I suddenly had access to information and communication with people who shared the same interests as myself.  I was very much into toy collecting back then and I was shocked to discover how may others were into it, too.

Eventually, I found Prodigy on the clunky side, and moved over to AOL.  But once I learned about such faster services as Voicenet and GNN, I dropped AOL like a hot potato.

(Hmmm... I can't recall ever actually holding a hot potato, let alone dropping one, so the above analogy is a false one.)
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2005, 07:13:38 AM »

Oh, and some semi-random thoughts for tomorrow's Eating and Walking Tour...

If during your travels today, you can go ahead and get a MetroCard if you don't already have one, that will save some time tomorrow morning.  Depending upon how long you're in town, a $10 card should suffice - and that will provide you with six one-way trips - there's a $2.00 bonus for each $10.00 you purchase.  -And you can buy a card at the Times Square Visitor Center if you don't want to venture down into the bowels of the subway system.

We will be grazing across the island tomorrow - the only actual meal of the day will be in the evening at La Cocina.  A little bite here, a little bite there.  Or however large or small a bite you would like.  You could easily get by with about $20.00.  $30.00 if you're feeling adventurous.  Of course, if you think you might stock up on some items, or make a major purchase at one of the boutiques in SoHo - or, in my case, at Broadway Panhandler - then line your wallet accordingly.  -A bunch of $1.00's will probably make the casual purchase a lot easier.

That's all for now.

*And I'll do my best to check in with everyone sometime this afternoon by phone.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2005, 07:19:55 AM »

'Mornin', all. My, does it look dark and ominous out there. Looks like rain if'n ya ask me.

I do hope all of our NY visitors got plenty of rest last night after our adventures. I slept very well, even though I took Berneice off around 5:30, and am feeling quite spry. My ears aren't ringing anymore and my throat feels like gold - ne'ery a scratch or a pain to be had, which is an improvement over the LAST time Jose and I went to Splash!

Jose: Glad your check finally arrived. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2005, 07:21:10 AM »

And as for tomorrow morning...

We will be meeting at Rockefelller Center at 9:30, up on the plaza "behind" the statue of "Prometheus" - just look for all the flags.

More precisely...  If you are coming from the Times Square area, just head East on 49th Street.  After you cross 6th Ave., you will be in the Rockefeller Center area.  You should start seeing the flags that surround the ice rink - on your left, and a crowd around the Today Show window - on your right.

The "street" name there is Rockefeller Plaza - take a left there.  You will see a bunch of benches.  That's where I will be.  I plan to get there around 9:00.

*There are big signs for "The Top of the Rock" there too.

"The Today Show" tapes from 7:00-10:00.  If you plan to get there early, you can stand around the window, peek in, and possibly get on TV - they do most of the crowds shots at the top of each half hour, and at 25 and 55 minutes after each hour.

If you want to get a jump on your souvenir shopping, the NBC Experience store opens at 8:00.  Additionally, there's a Duane Reade, a Dean & Deluca, plus various other stores.  -Alas, Maison du Chocolat doesn't open until 10:00.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2005, 07:22:21 AM »

OK - Time for me to get some busy-work done...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2005, 07:29:10 AM »

I'm a dunce and left my cell phone at home today (I was running a taaaaad late this morning), so once a decision is made on a dinner location and time, would someone please let me know? DR Ben has my contact information, as does Jose, but if someone wants to just post it on the board, that'd be fine, too. The more people who tell me, the better the chance I'll get the message.

Thanks!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2005, 07:34:59 AM »

Good morning!

A cool but not cool enough morning which made walking pleasant. High supposed to be 80 today, and I can already feel some humidity in the air. Yuck!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2005, 07:38:12 AM »

I guess the first time I remember seeing computers was in the Danny Kaye film THE MAN FROM THE DINER'S CLUB. I didn't see the earlier DESK SET at the movies but only on TV, but I'm sure those two films were my first two instances of computers.

Jason

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2005, 07:38:34 AM »

DR Jose (and any other NYers): I can get tickets for SLAVA'S SNOWSHOW pretty much any night this month if you're interested in seeing it. They're $23 through TDF.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2005, 07:43:01 AM »

I've mentioned here before that my first computer was an Atari 800XL which I bought in 1984 (I believe). A floppy drive had to be purchased as extra equipment (tape drives were also available), but I bought one since I had read storing information was so much faster on them than on tape.

The Atari had a cartridge slot on top that allowed programs to be loaded automaticallly into RAM just by inserted the program cartridge into the slot (the Commodore 64 worked in a similar way). So the first word processor I bought was manufactured by Atari on a cartridge.

I assured my partner at the time that I was not buying the computer for anything but writing. It was not going to be a game machine (though there were GREAT games available for the Atari). Of course, that resolve lasted about a month. I subscribed to several home computer magazines at the time, and when I started seeing the huge array of titles available on cartridge and floppy disc for the Atari, I had to sample some.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2005, 07:45:54 AM »

I am now showered and shaved. Jose may go to lunch with Charles and I, and perhaps he may enjoy walking about with us as well.

I neglected to mention Ben and Anthony's apartment visit. They have a wonderful place in Chelsea...a very nice apartment with a most wonderful clawfoot tub in he bathroom! And, I may have said this before, but I will say it once again...Ben and Anthony are two wonderful, wonderful guys! I adore them both. Anthony, by the way, reminds me of a comedy relieif character actor from the 1960s...he should really be on TV! He is quite animated and funny!

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2005, 07:47:24 AM »

My school used Apple IIe computers (incompatible with Atari, of course), but a bank here in town offered a free Apple IIc (a portable version of the IIe) for a certain amount of deposit into a savings account, so I transferred some money and also got an Apple IIc for use at home so that I could do work here and then take it to school.

Some years later, I saw an IBM clone for a very cheap price listed in Computer Shopper, and I bought that, too, since it was obvious the home computer world was moving away from Atari and Commodore and staying with IBM and Apple brands.

So, for awhile, I was using three different types of computers at home.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2005, 07:50:24 AM »

As DR Michael Shayne mentioned on the first page, my first taste of on-line communication was on a nationwide network called Fidonet. There were news groups on it covering just about every topic imaginable. I was the head of two of them - FILM and GREASEPAINT. It was on GREASEPAINT that I first met DR Michael on-line. I have valued his friendship ever since.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2005, 07:51:57 AM »

The first taste of the internet came through Prodigy which on my slow old modem and computer was never very much fun. I tried Microsoft Network in its early start-up phase, but it was quirky and never worked quite right.

Truly, AOL gave me my first successful and fun experience on the internet, and I guess that's why I've just stayed with them all these years.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2005, 07:52:37 AM »

Really enjoyed the pictures from the NYC h/ks. Hope tomorrow goes super well for all of you.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2005, 07:55:51 AM »

With BONES and HOUSE on hiatus during the baseball playoffs, the television line-up is considerably thinned out for me tonight. It will be nice staying put in the den watching my shows and recording others during the one hour where there is conflict.

FJL

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2005, 08:04:52 AM »

Hmm.. my friend who described Splash to me had implied that the dancers wore very small bathing suits when the showers hit them.  Didn't realize it was actually underwear.  But I guess there's not that much difference from a practical (that is, coverage) point of view, as anyone who's watched the Olympics diving and swimming events could attest.

FJL

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2005, 08:06:12 AM »

On that religious note, getting ready for a day of New Year festivities in beautfiul Cranford, New Jersey, where my brotehr, sister-in-law and nephew live.

Jason

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2005, 08:18:47 AM »

Hmm.. my friend who described Splash to me had implied that the dancers wore very small bathing suits when the showers hit them.  Didn't realize it was actually underwear.  But I guess there's not that much difference from a practical (that is, coverage) point of view, as anyone who's watched the Olympics diving and swimming events could attest.

They don't do the showers during Musical Mondays. The showers are saved for evenings later in the week.

FJL

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2005, 08:18:58 AM »

Dear Friend Do-Re-Milla seems to have  ended up generating a whole contretemps (sp?) on another chat board over her opposition to the Board of Directors of MAC (Manhattan Association of Clubs and Cabarets).  She seems to have gotten lots of press on her side, but I hope she's not damaging her career as a performer by being so political.    
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 08:20:38 AM by FJL »

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2005, 08:22:09 AM »

ANyone see MEDIUM last night and care to comment? From everything I read about the episode, it's a far more dramatic episode for Patricia Arquette than the one that won her the Emmy last year.

They're also saying that Mariska Hargitay's performance in tonight's LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT will be her ticket to another Emmy nomination next year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up