Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AKA  (Read 21765 times)

Jason

Re:AKA
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2005, 01:56:06 PM »

We do tend to have 'runs' on shows. Generally when one goes out on tour. Everybody and their dog wants to do LITTLE SHOP and ANNIE right now, mainly because subconciously they found out the show is on the road and it reminded them of the title. Or they actually SAW the tour and now they want to do it. Of course, the Tour gets exclusivity on the title, so they get to decide who gets to do the show and who doesn't. The restrictions even apply to the Junior versions of the shows. Right now, everyone wants ANNIE, LITTLE SHOP, THE BOY FRIEND, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and URINETOWN. Last year at this time they were all clambering for BEAUTY/BEAST, LITTLE SHOP, FIDDLER and SEUSSICAL. I'm sure people will renew their interest in THE PAJAMA GAME if the revival runs long enough to perform on the Tonys.

And of course everyone is calling for RENT, WICKED, DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS and THE PRODUCERS, all of which are still in their initial Broadway runs.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2005, 01:56:18 PM »

"Bated Breath"

Breathing that is subdued because of some emotion or difficulty that is being experienced.

from the root, ABATE, meaning to bring down, lower or depress.

:)

Danke bitte.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2005, 01:57:16 PM »

Happy Birthday Mr Hugh Jackman.
(you never know who is lurking)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2005, 01:57:17 PM »

Bitte schoen.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2005, 01:59:10 PM »

Been there, done that.   ;D

It was I who mentioned delivery confirmation yesterday, Jose, and in fact you don't even need to send stuff Priority to get it (though as I also mentioned yesterday, for some peculiar reason they charge you more for delivery confirmation for lesser class mail than for Priority).  

Ah, yes, I remember it well.

And as for the USPS charging more for Delivery Confirmation on non-Priority Packages...  "Well, for just 60 cents more, Sir, you can send it by Priority Mail and receive Delivery Confimation."

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2005, 02:00:38 PM »

DR JMK - Well, if you don't end up selling your current abode, have you considered setting it up as a sort of "artist's colony"?  Well, more like a commune for Hainsies and Kimlets?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2005, 02:00:50 PM »

Though I was routed through San Francisco last night my suitcase was sent through Portland.  It just arrived.  At least it was my luggage and not me that took so long. :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2005, 02:01:46 PM »

OH!!!!  And I just received word that I shall be receiving an "unexpected" FedEx package tomorrow morning.  HOO and RAY!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2005, 02:10:15 PM »

"Bated Breath"

Breathing that is subdued because of some emotion or difficulty that is being experienced.

from the root, ABATE, meaning to bring down, lower or depress.

"Baited Breath"

Breathing that is stinky/smelly because of some fish that has been consumed.  

Generally, from tuna sandwiches.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 02:10:40 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2005, 02:10:52 PM »

DR JMK - Well, if you don't end up selling your current abode, have you considered setting it up as a sort of "artist's colony"?  Well, more like a commune for Hainsies and Kimlets?

;)

Oooh, a H/K commune--does that take me back to my days (and nights, LOL) in the Haight!!

Actually the new house we've got our eyes on (waaaay out in the country, oy) is perfect commune material.  It's round (no joke), on 10 acres, and has a barn--the perfect place for all you animals.   ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2005, 02:14:46 PM »

DR Jason,k I know your job has lots of tediousness about it, but for awhile at least, I think there is so much fascination about seeing which shows get popular or ebb in popularity.

I know that's not enough to sustain a 40+ hour work week, but as a theater person, I certainly find this information you're giving us totally fascinating.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2005, 02:19:03 PM »

DR Jason,k I know your job has lots of tediousness about it, but for awhile at least, I think there is so much fascination about seeing which shows get popular or ebb in popularity.

I know that's not enough to sustain a 40+ hour work week, but as a theater person, I certainly find this information you're giving us totally fascinating.

In all honesty, this job has taught me SO much about the "other" side of the business. The inner workings make much more sense to me and has made me think more like a business person and less like an emotional actor-type. That's a good thing because, well...as an actor I am my own business. Now I just need to get back to the acting part!!

Jane

« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2005, 02:30:19 PM »

We had a quiet weekend, staying in most of the time, except for the sojourn out for Dinner with Jane (that's the title of my next novel).

It was a fun evening for me and a pleasure to finally meet Ant.  I just wish Jason, Rodzinski and TPunk had been there.

Every minute I spent with the HHW gang was great and I look forward to next year.  I was pleasantly surprised when SWW & DerBrucer joined us on Wednesday morning.

My only regret (Bruce you don’t want to continue reading) for the week is that I didn’t buy enough marzipan.  I will savor my last few bites. Jose what is that bakery again?
 ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »

In all honesty, this job has taught me SO much about the "other" side of the business. The inner workings make much more sense to me and has made me think more like a business person and less like an emotional actor-type. That's a good thing because, well...as an actor I am my own business. Now I just need to get back to the acting part!!

I see your point. If you're not currently getting to act yourself, at least you get to be around theatrical productions in this small way.

Of course, you also get to schedule all those different productions of shows, many of which would have parts you could do! Must be maddening, too. Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2005, 02:36:45 PM »

The issue of the newly redesigned TV GUIDE came in the mail today. I haven't had a chance to read a single word of it, but my first reaction was that it's MIGHTY thin.

I guess I'm just used to all those years of a digest sized TV GUIDE.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2005, 02:37:18 PM »

I'm at work but I'm off to the dentist...again.  I had my regular cleaning/check-up last month, but I need to have a filling replaced. :P At least it's not a whole new filling!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 04:55:32 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2005, 02:37:34 PM »

And now I'm off to clean the living room and then read TV GUIDE. SHould have something more pertinent to comment about it later tonight.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2005, 02:57:05 PM »

Howdy, folks!

Practicing like crazy on alto and soprano recorders - don't wanna humiliate mahseff on Sunday with Maui Early Music. Ohhhh... NOW I'm in F-fingerings... ooops, sorry -- how 'bout I just hummm the sucker? Hmmmm?

Jane, welcome back! Yes, good thing you weren't in your suitcase, or we'd have one MAD and thirsty little person!! I have waited, on occasion, 3 days for my luggage to come from some unanticipated trip to locales I never paid for... hi to Keith!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2005, 02:58:47 PM »

Marzipan, eh? Did I know that?
PennyO

MBarnum

« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2005, 02:59:08 PM »

DR Jane,
I totally forgot to buy some Marzipan...or the candy cigarettes that we saw!

And we never did get the Vixter to try any Marzipan, no matter how pretty it was.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2005, 02:59:56 PM »

Well, back to some tootling - how the $%&# do you play a high Eb?
PennyO

JMK

« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2005, 03:00:19 PM »

Yes, whoever thinks of a recorder as a transposing instrument?  I had to do alto recorder in an early music group and it proved to me quite handily why piano is my instrument of choice.   ;)

I am being discussed on the Scientology usenet group (well, my Farmer article anyway).  It's so much fun--I dropped in and posted and they all scattered like flies.  Maybe Tommy C. and Katie H.  will show up here to debate the history of psychiatry with me.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2005, 03:02:47 PM »

Good Afternoon!

DR Jane - I will be down in the Village tomorrow, so...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2005, 03:03:16 PM »

DR MBarnum - I will be down in the Village tomorrow, so...

Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2005, 03:03:48 PM »

Well, back to some tootling - how the $%&# do you play a high Eb?

In C:
You have to overblow the low Eb (hmmm...could that be the title of BK's next book?).   ;D  Alternatively, if you have a lot of breath (and something tells me you do  ;) ), you can just blow your brains out with no stops and it will approximate a high Eb.

In F:
Stop with your thumb (underneath), index finger and 4th finger (skipping 3).  You can delete the 4th finger stop if you're slightly flat (tone-wise, that is  ::)).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2005, 03:03:49 PM »

DR PennyO - Thank you.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2005, 03:05:05 PM »

In C:
You have to overblow the low Eb (hmmm...could that be the title of BK's next book?).   ;D  Alternatively, if you have a lot of breath (and something tells me you do  ;) ), you can just blow your brains out with no stops and it will approximate a high Eb.

In F:
Stop with your thumb (underneath), index finger and 4th finger (skipping 3).  You can delete the 4th finger stop if you're slightly flat (tone-wise, that is  ::)).

Well, having had to speed-learn a soprano recorder for a gig many years ago...  When in doubt..

HUM!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2005, 03:05:39 PM »

Welcome home to DR Jane's luggage!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2005, 03:06:15 PM »

Well, I need to go out and take a walk - I've been cooped up in the apartment all day.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2005, 03:13:02 PM »

Jose so....... :D  Not that I need it.  While in NY I gained back the weight I lost in Romania.

Penny Keith says hi back.  Next time you visit the house will be very different.  I returned to a beautifully painted laundry room, living room and pantry.  Both in different shades of green and a color called sourdough.  I did notice this morning that one wall by the pool table was painted in the sourdough when it should be terracotta.  Keith and the painter started laughing-oops.  Guess I’m not as groggy as I think I am. ;D  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up