News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AKA  (Read 21752 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AKA
« on: October 11, 2005, 12:21:29 AM »

Welll, you've read the notes, you've gotten through the akas, and now it is time for you to post until the cows aka the cows come home aka home.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 12:09:16 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:AKA
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 12:22:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: NATTY!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 12:29:30 AM »

Difficult to go past Pete and Dud or indeed Derek & Clive.
Tom Lehrer is clever fun too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »

We watched a documentary on Spike Milligan last night. Such talent.  I had not known he had written so many books.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 12:35:18 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 12:36:36 AM »

I've begun watching the new Paramount DVD of 1955s Anything Goes, with Bing and Donald and Mitzi.  You know you're in trouble when the first song in a Cole Porter score is by Cahn and Van Heusen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 12:37:33 AM »

Pogue, just reminding you that Du-Par's is open all night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 12:45:54 AM »

Du-Pars has not opened a branch in Indiana yet.  Too bad.

Watching What's My Line.  The lady on now makes pajamas for dogs.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 12:46:10 AM »

Nothing like having a natty pooch!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 12:48:54 AM »

So glad you got the REVUE that is written so warmly about in the Kritzer books.  Isn't wonderful to make a discovery like that?!

Satire....hmmmmmm.....

I think Steve Allen, although I'm not sure what he did was satire. (And sorry to hear about Mr Louis Nye, I posted about him just last week).

Mad Magazine was great at satire.  

I guess my FAVORITE would be Nichols & May.  Although they may have been iconoclasts.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 12:50:06 AM »

The mystery guest tonight is:

Eddie Hodges!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 12:53:27 AM »

I'm gonna Knock on your door with high hopes.
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 03:39:33 AM »

Got an email in the office saying simply "We will be dressing down all week."

I know getting to go in dress-down is a good thing, but with all the tension and arguing in the office yesterday, it almost felt like a warning at first.  :)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 03:45:15 AM »

I have not caught up, oh no I have not caught up

and I will not be doing it now as the site  qnd/or my dial up connection is a as slow as a snail on a very cold, wet, grey and rainy day which coincidently this is.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 03:47:55 AM »

in the notes bk said
It’s the final performance of the classic Brit revue, Beyond the Fringe, starring Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Alan Bennett, and Jonathan Miller

Is this a DVD commercialy available and playable in the US?  This is exactly the sort of thing that would make a wonderful Christmas present for my inlaws.

FJL

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 03:48:08 AM »

This is the most intense work week of the year at my office.  Even worse than April 15th, because at April 15th you can at least put a client on extension if they bring their stuff in two or three days before the deadline.  But this is the final extension, so even people who get the last piece of their tax  stuff to us this coming Friday or Saturday will magically get their returns by Monday, or so the firm philosophy goes.  (Will it be correct?  Will we have time to do any good retrospective tax planning for these procrastinators?  Who knows - but they'll make the deadline, and we'll possibly have to amend later.)  And this year, Yom Kippur falls right in the middle of Hell week, which hasn't happened in forever.

Just thought I'd share.  

vixmom

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 03:50:17 AM »

I spent two and a half hours yesterday morning starting at 6:45  AM -  sitting in a gas station waitng for my car to be inspected.  Boy do I know how to enjoy a day off from work or what?

vixmom

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 03:51:22 AM »

TOD: Gilbert & Sullivan
         Original cast of SNL

vixmom

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 03:52:50 AM »

DR  and HHW god FJL

I send you

~~WONDERFUL WORK DAY VIBES~~~~~

hope they work!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 06:20:07 AM by vixmom »

FJL

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 03:52:54 AM »

Good morning, vixmom.  

Hope your internet connection gets better as the day goes on.  :)

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 03:53:33 AM »

Time to get the Vixter ready for school and me ready for work

Laters!

FJL

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 04:00:22 AM »

Someone almost always walks off to blow off steam in our office during the first weeks of October, but they always come back.  It's an office tradition.  Yesterday, one of the ladies left early, and several people thought that was this year's walk-out, but we later confirmed that she was just going for a physical.  So this year's walk-off is still to come.

Seriously, 90% of the time, I feel so lucky to be working where I am.  But oh, those four weeks a year!

FJL

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005, 04:02:11 AM »

Sorry for ranting.

Have a lovely day, vixmom!

Ben

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 04:24:44 AM »

Good Morning Larry.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

For a moment, when I read the post and then moved down to the next post I thought it was Time Winters who had died. Small world moment, I haven't seen him in years and I know that he wouldn't remember me but I met Time in the early 80s when he was in New York. He was friends with other friends of mine. I became part of a group of actors who decided to read, every Monday evening, all of Shakespeare's plays, one by one. Stephen, the man in charge, would see who was available for each week and cast according to who would be there on a certain Monday. It was great fun and if you were there every week you got to hear all of Shakespeare! Time was part of that group. It was great fun and something I would do again in a moment.

FJL, don't worry about the "ranting". That was a very quiet rant compared to others we have heard. We all need to rant sometimes.

We had a quiet weekend, staying in most of the time, except for the sojourn out for Dinner with Jane (that's the title of my next novel). We did do some grocery shopping yesterday afternoon. I defrosted the freezer on Sunday and the refrigerator was practically empty so we needed foodstuffs to get us through the week. I will buy more foodstuffs at the Greenmarket tomorrow.

Tonight I am part of consumer panel gathered together to answer questions about on-line banking and credit cards. It's sponsored by Citibank. I get $100 and a "light dinner" (probably sandwiches and soda) for answering questions for 2 hours (5:30-7:30). Anthony will have to make his own dinner tonight. He also plans on watching Mystery (it's Foyle's War) on Channel 21. He missed it on Sunday night. We got back from dinner and forgot that it was on. Oh, well. That's what reruns are for.

Back to work!

Later, gaters.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 04:33:47 AM »

Good morning, all!  Tuesday already?  Oy!

It's a heavy day of Chicago Humanities Festival work, so I'm out of here very shortly.  I want to thank all of you for your kind words on the death of my friend.  I wish my mind was as sharp now as his was at 93; he had great recall and a kind heart.  He also has a wonderful son. as well as a daughter I do not know, and a beautiful granddaughter who's now doing well as an actress.  I will miss him.

So, the TOD is satire:
  Theatre:  OF THEE I SING, OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR!, THE BEGGAR'S OPERA
  Music:  CARNIVAL OF THE ANIMALS. the G&S operas, THE LOVE OF THREE ORANGES
  TV & Other Media:  Mad Magazine, National Lampoon, MAD TV, A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES, COLD COMFORT FARM, NORTHANGER ABBEY
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 05:30:16 AM »

I have to agree with Tom Leherer. Love the guy.

I cannot stand to watch most comedians these days with all the 4 letter words they use. It is not necessary. So I am not sure if they are satirical or not.

But I would like to have seen Mort Sahl  and Lenny Bruce in person. Now I know Bruce use 4 letter words and was probably the first main stream comic to do. But he used them IMHO brilliantly. Mort Sahl was from Montreal and believe it or not never saw him ever do anything. Just heard about him.

SNL was never a fav of mine. The jabs may have had a good joke or two but I always found that the sketches just ended just like so much fish. They never had one great topper joke. (I don't mean the guy with ghosts)

The comedian I find just funny these days is Pablo Francisco.

The comedian I find who has the most to say through her comedy (despite the 4 letters) is Margaret Cho. She is the one exception when it comes to comedians and the barrages of 4 letter words
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 05:35:52 AM »

I would like to add Mad Magazine (who my cousin once wrote for). The 60's & & 70's was IMHO there best time. I now look at it with its color pages, ads and governed by what they have to do (and maybe say) by Warner Bros. Communications.

They even have to do Movie Parodies as film tie ins with the release of certain key Warner Bros. Releases/

I actually bought MAD magazine by accident. It was the Batman (TV series parody) cover and I thought I was getting a batman comic!

What a nice surprise.

I have all the issues and extras of Mad magazine from the start to  the 90's when they released the cd-rom of the mags
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 06:04:47 AM »

DR Elmore, I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your friend.  I also get a kick when I see or hear about someone who is in their nineties and is still sharp.  It gives me inspiration to be kicking it around when I get there.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 06:12:26 AM »

Two other deaths I heard about this weekend that saddened me--Jerry Juhl, who has been the head writer for the Muppets almost since their inception, and M Scott Peck, the author of one of my favorite books, The Road Less Travelled.  One man entertained me, the other enlightened me.  And I'm the better for both.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 06:20:42 AM »

I don't generally believe in signs, but I think I've had a couple today. First off, the alarm on my cell phone went off, but my alarm clock didn't. Why, you ask? Because the electricity went out overnight. I hate when that happens. Thank God I set the alarm on my phone.

Then, I got to the subway station only to find out that the train is/was not running! Everyone was walking a few blocks down to the bus, so I followed (one has to get to work) only to find about 350 people waiting for a bus. No thank you!

So, I called in, let them know what's what and now I'm waiting for the train to start running again. In fact, I think I hear it now, but I'm going to wait for a couple more to go by just to make sure my ears aren't deceiving me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up