Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BREEZIN' ALONG WITH THE BREEZE  (Read 22589 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:BREEZIN' ALONG WITH THE BREEZE
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2003, 08:10:28 AM »

Dear DR Sandra: Unfortunately, the only thing I can come up with is hoola-hoops.

:o ::) :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 08:11:21 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2003, 08:28:58 AM »

The good news is, I'm feeling much better today.  The bad news is, I'm still at low energy.  There's so much I really want to get done, like clean the house, but I'm so danged un-perky.

All the same, thanks to all for the best wishes you've been sending, and the vibes.  They've all helped.  I'm feeling guilty about the karma rating, which seems so disproportionate with my number of posts.

It seems I caused a bit of a panic yesterday.  I couldn't get ahold of der Brucer, so I phoned Dad about my going to the hospital, who transferred the information.  Der Brucer, being quite logical, then checked the map and realized that, since I don't drive and have no car, the odds were that I'd still be walking 'til sun-up!  (They had no idea that the telephone book had finally arrived just as I was heading out, and that I'd called a cab for myself.)  Instant cross-country panic!  Der Brucer was calling everyone he could think of, like the hospital itself (he somehow got general admissions, not the ER), asking if I'd been seen.  He stopped just short of calling the police.  He did call his daughter, whose reaction was "Well, I don't feel that way when I'm depressed."  Fortunately, although she lives just an hour away, he was able to disuade her from coming to search herself.  She knows the area even less than I, and besides, her idea of inaugurating a search tends towards entering a house and going through all the cabinets.

Fortunately, I was able to call him again when I got home, to let him know I was safe.  I also called my Dad, who was thinking of flying out cross-country to help, and appologized for making his birthday less than perfect (I'd forgotten it was his eighty-second!).

Things are going to get better.  I just need to be patient with being a patient.

*sigh*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2003, 08:29:46 AM »

Just wanted to remind those who haven't seen it that on many PBS stations tonight, the Hugh Jackman/OKLAHOMA will be broadcast. Those who have already experienced this production either in person or on the DVD already released in Region 2 have not had overly enthusiastic things to say about it. But this is a good way to see the production for free before shelling out dollars to buy or rent it on DVD. It's beginning at 7 EST, so if you're interested, you might want to check your local listings for time and channel.

I suspect other PBS stations will be playing or replaying it as US Thanksgiving gets closer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2003, 09:06:50 AM »

Good morning or afternoon wherever you are...

Well, I slept in today(!), and now must get all cleaned up get ready to head into the theatre for the matinee.

And since I'm in a hurry right now... Whoever mentioned my legs... Thank you!  ;D

See you all later tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2003, 09:59:17 AM »

I forgot to mention, DR Jose, that the series of pictures last night with you and your lovely dessert companions was delightful. I resisted making that cake last night, and I'm hopeful I'll be equally strong today.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2003, 10:07:12 AM »

Hi everybody.

OK, here's my English assignment. I have to give a ten minute presentation on this poem:

Disillusionment of Ten O'Clock

Does anyone know what I could possibly use to fill up ten whole minutes?

You could set it to music, have a big tap break in the middle and finish off with an interpretive dance then repeat the whole poem again but in Pig Latin!   ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2003, 10:15:21 AM »

I could do ten minutes on "With socks of lace" and I'm sure you can too.  

I slept until ten and thought I'd have at least three hundred posts to read - but the thirty whatever I've read are cherce and that's all that matters.  But, let's not stop there, let's keep 'em comin'.  I tried to post a photo last night and couldn't, so I guess I'll try again momentarily.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2003, 10:18:18 AM »

No can do.  I've sent the error message on to Mr. Mark Bakalor and hopefully he can rectify the situation, oh, yes, hopefully he can rectify.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2003, 10:27:31 AM »

I had some momentary trouble with that Cinemascope pic I posted last night, but when I tried it a second time, it took it just fine.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2003, 10:42:27 AM »

Sandra: Do you sing? Because George's idea is actually really good! If you put it to music, you could sing it, and once you're done, explain how the rhythm and emotion of the poem influenced your melody. Is the poem supposed to be dark and spooky, or light and happy? (It could be both, the first time I read through it, it reminded me of a nightmare.)

That's another take on it: You could ask other people to read it, and gather their thoughts. Human reaction/psychology. How does the poem affect people?; I thought "Nightmare!", maybe someone else has a different take on it.

You could also act the whole thing out with props and costumes :), which would probably be more fun.

A profession that I'd like to have would obviously be a performer, but I'd love working with Special Ed kids. My mom does that, and  it's SUCH a rewarding career, emotionally. I've seriously thought about it, I can't decide whether I want to use my extra electives for Psychology/Sociology classes, or extra music classes like Theory.

BTW, Michael Shayne is very full of information today!
...Walk in the sunshine...

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2003, 11:00:43 AM »

Hmmm, other professions?  I guess being an independently wealthy bon vivant wouldn't count.

I'd love to play the piano and be a lounge singer, doing Gershwin, Porter, Coward, Rodgers & Hart, et al.

The reclusive, scholarly part of me wouldn't mind being an historian.

Real estate attracts me...every Sunday, I take a walk and visit all the open houses.  Over the years, I seen an inordinate number of houses in my Los Feliz/ Hollywood area.

What jobs I wouldn't want...anything in food service...or for that matter anything dealing with the public as a consumer of goods and services.  I have never been one of those who believes  "the customer is always right."

JRand53...is that Gordo Scott in your picture?  I'm currently reading pal exTarz Denny Miller's memoirs in order to give him a blurb for the book.  I once sat between Gordo and Denny at an Edgar Rice Burroughs convention.  Denny was a lot more fun.

George

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2003, 11:20:12 AM »

As to the topic of the day:  at one time I also thought about being an architect, but I never did anything about it.  However, in high school I made a wooden Rubik's cube.  It didn't fit together perfectly, but I got an A on the project.  ;D

I thought the idea of a watch maker/repair person was pretty cool.  I used to take things apart, but not so that I could put them back together again.  ::)

A professional, well, working actor has always been a fantasy of mine.  I've done a lot of community theater and I really enjoy it.

And I've sung with an incredible professional jazz pianist, which was a lot of fun, but I definitely DO NOT have a professional level talent...in singing or acting...but I dream.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 11:22:51 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2003, 11:24:17 AM »

When I read Sarah's thing about making a song out of it, I started singing to the tune of Someone's in the Kitchen With Dinah:

The houses are haunted with white night-gowns.
None of them are green or blue or purple.
The houses are haunted with white night-gowns,
And nothing rhymes with purple.

Is that what you had in mind? No? I didn't think so.  ;)

This is a group project. So I'm partnered up with this guy named Jake who hasn't said anything all semester. I sent him an email with my idea for what we could do. Supposedly, the poem is about imagination and creativity, so I thought we could pretend to have forgotten all about the presentation and pretend to make it up as we go along. We'll just start pulling things out of our backpacks and be creative. So we'll have sock puppets and props like that. But I don't know if Jake would go along with it since he doesn't even talk in class.

But I LOVE the Pig Latin idea! And I'll ask Jake if he can tap dance.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jed

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2003, 11:43:20 AM »

Oh, thought of another job possibility, this being one I've called my backup plan for years.

Voice-over work.  I have a rather deep, resonant voice, and can go into advertisement/movie trailer mode easily.  Or I can use more mellow tones for the soothing voice of FM radio.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2003, 11:47:05 AM »

Oh, thought of another job possibility, this being one I've called my backup plan for years.

Voice-over work.  I have a rather deep, resonant voice, and can go into advertisement/movie trailer mode easily.  Or I can use more mellow tones for the soothing voice of FM radio.

I'll confirm this...he really does it frighteningly well...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2003, 11:53:37 AM »

Ah yes, DR Charles Pogue, that IS Mr Gordon Scott.  Mr Denny Miller was on a television series called MONA MCCLUSKEY with Miss Juliet Prowse that made me laugh when I was about 10....if he mentions it in the book.  And of course he was on WAGON TRAIN for a time as well.

Glad he's writing everything down....it should be interesting
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2003, 12:13:58 PM »

Can I change my answer?

*deep breath*

I would like to be a:

male
'70s
glitter
rock star

Think Bowie.  Think Ferry.  Think "Meat."

I thank you.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2003, 12:42:31 PM »

Back from my audition!  Thank you SO much for the good vibes, everyone!  

It went decently, all things considered.  The dancing didn't go too well, but that is my greatest weakness as a performer and it always has been.  The monologue (I did Louise's "Nobody laughs at me..." one from you know what show) went very well.  For my songs, I did "What More Do I Need" and "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man."  I think I did quite well on the first, but the second was a little pitchy at places and the transitions could have been better.  I'm not going to hear from JMU til April, so in the meantime, I'm also going to apply to other schools.  No sense in putting all my eggs in one basket (oh, a Fred Astaire reference!)

Hmmm...I either want to be a performer or a writer, but I've always thought being an art or food critic would be very cool too!

BK and Jose--loved, loved, LOVED the photos from last night!  BK, have you read all the books in your bookcase???

Jason--Thanks for the Wonderful Town report!  I am SO glad I bought tickets already!

SWW--Glad to hear you are feeling a little better....sometimes things improve gradually, but I am sending you good thoughts for a fast and easy recovery!

Lulu--LOL.  Something tells me if you were, you would be the glammest of the glam.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 12:43:41 PM by Maya »

Tomovoz

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2003, 12:43:52 PM »

Can't suggest a thing Sandra (I missed out on the creative gene) but my days are always a little brighter when you are on board the board.. Would you partner be willing to go along the BK lines with Socks of lace? When in doubt go for laughs.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2003, 12:56:20 PM »

I eventually caught up with the Matthew Broderick "Music Man" last night. I enjoyed it more then I did "Bye Bye Birdie" and Hugh Jackman's "Oklahoma".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2003, 01:00:46 PM »

Now, now, now (that is three nows), we must have more posts - we're not even on page three yet.  That is most unseemly.  I'm wearing jeans, ASCAP t-shirt, and a plaid shirt over it.  Can someone try posting a photo please?  I still can't do it.

George

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2003, 01:04:28 PM »

I tried to post a picture and got the message:

"An Error Has Occurred!
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and contact the administrator."

Bruce, did you get that same message?

Well, I must be off.  I have to usher for a local production of...something tonght and I don't even know what it is.  I'll find out soon enough, though.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 01:08:51 PM by George »

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2003, 01:12:15 PM »

Oh, MONA McCLUSKY, I DO remember that. I loved it and was so sad when it got canceled in mid-season. Denny Miller has always been Mr. Hunk.

DR Tom, to each his own. I haven't seen the Jackman OKLAHOMA (tonight, lord willing), but I did not like THE MUSIC MAN much at all plus I found it SO unnecessary. The 1962 movie version is about as perfect as a film version can be. BYE BYE BIRDIE certainly has a miscast leading man, but it's a much better representation of the stage version than the 1963 film, so I'm grateful for it.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2003, 01:16:56 PM »

I would very much like to have a better singing voice.  With the range of -- say -- Anthony Warlow!!!  :)

My voice, of course...I don't want to sound like him or be him...and to have my musical ear and tastes in music.

I'd also have liked having a professional acting career.  I had my bite of amateur theatrics.  I didn't get most of the roles I wanted, but I did get roles I never thought of trying for -- Albert in "Bye, Bye Birdie" and "Matt" in "The Fantasticks."  

And I'd love to have learned to play piano well enough to play in any Broadway show!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2003, 01:19:44 PM »

Last night, I watched "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" -- the DVD expanded edition is totally a-w-e-s-o-m-e.

I saw it in a theater last December, and I could pick out some of the "new scenes" in the DVD presenation (there are 40 minutes worth of new scenes), but it's such a seamless, faithful presentation of the story on DVD that I'm awestruck at how perfect this "movie" has been, thus far.

The major pluses in this expanded edition are the additional ent sequences (very droll and they add so much to the film), an expanded sequence at Rivendell as Elrond admonishes Arwen for clinging to a mortal and pressuring her to sail to the Grey Havens.  And there's a terrific bit with Merry and Pippin at Isengard where they discover a storage room filled with food and goods from the shire, including some "Old Tobey"!

I think "Return of the King" is going to be a wholly thrilling resolution to this cinematic masterwork.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 01:23:46 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2003, 01:21:13 PM »

Well, THE HAUNTING certainly lived up to my expectations. Gorgeous black and white photography in a sparkling anamorphic transfer. Just as wonderful as I remembered it.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2003, 01:25:15 PM »

Yes, and light years ahead of the remake in being "chilling" and appealing to the little grey cells rather than trying to jolt the nervous system!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2003, 01:30:19 PM »

Now, on to a subject from yesterday, Disney villainess character voices.

No, DR td, Verna Felton was not the voice of the stepmother in CINDERELLA or Malificent in SLEEPING BEAUTY. Eleanor Audley was indeed the actress who voiced those memorable villainesses.

Verna was in both movies, however. She was the Fairy Godmother in CINDERELLA (sang the Oscar-nominated "Bibbidi-Boobidi-Boo") and played good fairy Flora (the one who was partial to pink) in SLEEPING BEAUTY.

I loved seeing Eleanor pop up in 60s sitcoms. She was also the scheming neighbor Mrs. Billings who could always talk Rob Petrie into directing the local talent show on THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.

I don't know how I missed this discussion yesterday, but let me throw in my adoration of Pat Carroll as the sea witch (Ursula?)  in "The Little Mermaid" -- a terrific performance and a classic Disney villainess!

Tomovoz

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2003, 01:32:19 PM »

Tried posting a picture too. Not possible today. BK and Jose have filled the vaults it seems.

I tried to forget about the film of "Music Man" (not that you can) and wonder how I would have felt if this were to be my first ever viewing of the show. (and Mathew still looked too young!). My disappointment with "Birdie" was that it just seemed that people "walked" through it. No life! I was so disappointed with Ms Williams and the pace of the show.The Cd was fine. I hope that viewers find more to like in "Oklahoma" than I did. (Hugh Jackman is so right but the filming was so wrong). Which reminds me, I asked for an explanation opinion or whatever about "Kiss Me Kate" ages ago. Enjoyable in many ways but why was there no audience evident in "It's Too Darn Hot"? I know it is a "behind the scenes" song but so were some of the other scenes where there was an audience reaction.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2003, 01:33:52 PM »

I will give the remake of THE HAUNTING a check mark for GREAT sound. Had my house shaking when I watched it.

DR Ron, I think you were watching LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWIN TOWERS when that discussion was going on because I had gone to bed; otherwise, I would have made the correction last night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up