Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: APROPOS OF NOTHING  (Read 17758 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
APROPOS OF NOTHING
« on: October 18, 2005, 12:08:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, apropos of nothing you are now ready to post until the apropos of nothing cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 12:13:08 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:APROPOS OF NOTHING
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 12:11:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: JUGATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 12:12:48 AM »

Had to post the notes via safari.  AOL is so annoying and I am so at the end of my rope with them, that this week may be curtains after seven years of enduring their wretched service.  I can get on, but the Internet is completely inaccessible.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 12:15:53 AM »

I haven't had AOL for quite a few years.  I only got it in the first place because my sister's boyfriend had an account and I got to use one of his additional screen names.  Then he got rid of it and went to ATTBI.com, and I had to get (and pay for) my own account.  ATTBI has since been bought by Comcast and that's what I have now.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 12:17:48 AM »

I was a top 40 kid. Disc jockeys were very much part of my world and in those days had so much independence in choosing their tracks. The Transister Radio gave kids of my generation, independence in their choice of music. I had favourite DJs but they would mean nothing to other Hainsies. We certainly did not have National radio nor national pop charts.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 12:22:37 AM »

I was never much of a radio listener.  I listened casually, but never regularly.  It wasn't until I discovered musicals that I listened to any kind of music on a regular basis, and then it was only the records that I bought myself, because musicals aren't played on the radio much, if ever.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 12:28:13 AM »

couldn't resist 'er
with her pocket transister

transister sister
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 12:37:02 AM »

Well, I must be off to beddy-by-land.  Today is going to be a very hectic and stressful day at work.  Hectic because there is a lot of invoicing for me to do, but stressful because there was a study done (a retructure study) that looked closely at certain positions in the library system and the results are being released around noon or so!  From what I've heard through the grapevine, I'm much too low on the totem pole to be worried, but I guess others higher up should be worried. :o

George

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 12:37:32 AM »

Good night, all.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 12:45:22 AM »

I was mostly a top forty kid.  WSAI out of Cincinnati...The DJ I remember the most was Dusty Rhodes.  I think he may still DJ somewhere in the Cincy environs.  

But there were two other shows that really influenced in the Cincy environs.  I do not remember the call letters of the first which was a show that came on every week night and played a Broadway show with an announcer reading the liner notes so you got some sense of the play.  It introduced me to a lot of interesting Broadway shows and songs I'd never heard...I particularly remember All-American; the movie Daydreamer; and Man of La Mancha.  It made me go to see the show when in toured.

The last show I remember was Moon River, which was poetry read to organ music...It came on at eleven o'clock at night every week night.  I used to listen to it over the earphone of my transition as I went to sleep, often falling asleep with the radio on.

It's opening read by a narrator went as follows:

Moon River,
A lazy stream of dreams
Where vain desires forget themselves
In the loveliness of sleep.
Moon River,
Enchanted white ribbon
Twined in the hair of night,
Where nothing is but sleep,
Dream on...Sleep on...
Care will not seek for thee.
Float on...Drift on...
Moon River to the sea.

Then it would close, with the narrator speaking:

Down the valley of a thousand yesterdays
Flow the bright waters of Moon River
On and down, forever flowing, forever waiting
To carry you down to the land of forgetfulness,
To the kingdom of sleep...to the realm of...

Moon River,
A lazy stream of dreams
Where vain desires forget themselves
In the loveliness of sleep
Moon river.
Enchanted white ribbon
Twined in the hair of night.
Where nothing is but sleep,
Dream on...Sleep on...
Care will not seek for thee.
Float on...Drift on...
Moon River, to the sea.

Man, I loved that show!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 01:26:06 AM »

I am still waiting for my REWIND ... :(

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 01:36:47 AM »

Happy Anniversary to DR Vixmom and Vixdad !!!

I misread this post as  "In the Mood for Love"  a KING KONG film.
I think I need to get those new glasses!!

Hope you'll get a new good pair of glasses to see also your sweet husband well, DR Vixomom. ;)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 01:55:54 AM »

It drizzled all day here in Tokyo too, but no thunder.
The sun sets getting earlier day by day.

Danise

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 04:04:27 AM »

Good morning, Ben!

Today shall be a short day at work for me.  Only two and half hours in the office.  Almost not worth driving in and paying the five dollars to park for.

Since I am the “tech” that has to set up the computer/speakers/microphones,   I have to go look at a new location we're having our orientation tomorrow.  I have to leave the office at about 10:30.

It was already planned that I would leave at noon for my preop soooo it shall be a very short day.

Tomorrow won’t be hard either.  The orientation is all morning and a staff meeting in the afternoon then I’m out of there until Halloween day.  

I wish I was going back to NYC but such is life.   :(

Dusty Rhodes. The American Dream!  He was a wrestler I remember from when my parents used to watch that stuff when I was growing up.

Welcome to our newest member!  

Gotta go!  Have a wonderful day all!   :) :D :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 04:14:43 AM »

When I sleep in the same bed w/DP Anthony, sometimes our heads are jugate (two or more heads placed side by side) but then one or the other will turn on our sides and then we are no longer jugate  :D

Ginny, I've put the dates (January 16-22, 2006) in our calendar. We will certainly have some time to meet you and Richard. We will have returned recently from our Christmas trip to Dublin. I had thought about postponing the trip but Anthony says his foot is healing enough that he wants to go after all. I will now be busy booking the remainder of our trip (the tickets were purchased many moons ago when I happened upon an amazing fare).

I love radio but by the time I began listening there were very few "programs" available for listening. I did listen to Top 40 Radio on WDGY (pronounced weegee) and KDWB (K D W B, Channel 63 - I know, it's not a channel but that was their tag line, still stuck in my brain lo these many years). They were both, at the time, AM stations. It's where I first heard The Beatles, Chad and Jeremy, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Peter and Gordon and The Dave Clark Five (I LOVED the Dave Clark Five and had many of their records). I was a big fan of the British Invasion.

I am now lucky enough to appear (albeit infrequently) on a radio show in Wales. Many of you know this (I've mentioned it a few times) but for the newbies, I happened upon this wonderful opportunity because of a simple e-mail to the host of Showtime, a BBC Radio Wales program that plays theatre and film music. When I sent the e-mail telling her that I would be seeing Gypsy, she was happy to hear she had a fan in New York and also wanted to hear my thoughts about Gypsy. The producer called, taped my "mini-review" and it was broadcast. I thought that would be the end but Beverly Humphreys, the host, was impressed enough that she asked me to keep doing it. I've been on for over two and a half years and I've written 40 reviews. Some of you have my self-produced CD (I am able to record the segments and then I burn them to a CD and freely distribute it to anyone willing to listen  ;)). Anyone on this here site not lucky enough to have one of these collectibles may certainly get one just by dropping me a line with your address and I'll send you one (actually two since I now have Volume I and Volume II). It's a vanity project to be sure, but one that makes me very happy. It's also been a dream come true. To appear on a radio show is nice enough but to have it be the BBC (the gold standard for me) is even better.

Enough of this, I must return to work.

Later, gaters.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 04:20:13 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 04:19:06 AM »

Well we listened to TOP 40 as well.  For awhile I had to listen to the country station.  But then as teens we switched over to WIFE-AM in Indianpolis a "new" station that introduced us to the Beatles and many other delights.

No certain DJ or program though.  I guess I am just a television baby.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 04:20:21 AM »

APROPOS OF NOTHING I didn't respond to the TOD yesterday because I don't want to talk about bosses.  About now I wish I had one, even one of the bad ones I used to have...not ALL of them....however.

Jugate - isn't that what is in front of the temple?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 04:21:30 AM »

DR JOSE - I would guess that your parents are bragging about you to their friends and workmates.

I am so excited for you - you are living the dream of thousands of people - through your own hard work and ambition.  You are MAKING YOUR OWN LUCK!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 04:21:44 AM »

Hello to DR ALEXPAIGE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 04:23:14 AM »

Should be a nice day.

Apropos of nothing, I am working on my annual report for the Promotions Committee of the Putnam County Playhouse.  Trying to make it interesting, which is not ALWAYS easy to do.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 04:34:22 AM »

What is this thing called a radio everyone is writing about?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 04:34:36 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 05:10:13 AM »

Good morning, all!  Another Humanities Festival day, and I'm running latethis morning.  I have new neighbor(s) above me, and all the noise accommodating a new arrival:  hammerings, dragging sounds, different footsteps. all beginning on Sunday, so I'm adapting to new sounds in the environment.

I was such a jerk yesterday (yesterday, the Board says?):  I didn't wish DRvixmom a happy anniversary or DRDan In Toronto a happy birthday.  Another couple of spots on the road to hell, I guess, since my intentions were good.   I do apologize and send belated wishes to both.

Radio?  DRCharlesPogue, I remember Dusty Rhodes, but I no longer remember the deejay and station in Dayton that my brother and I listened to.  My favorite radio show as a kid was WPFB's Homer and Opal Tingle show from Oxford, Ohio, which is what we listened to at 7 am for reports onschool closings because of snow.  I also loved my late friend Gerri Hart's radio show on WPFB, which ran from 10 am to noon, I believe.  She and I used to joke that I should come on the show and show her my photos of my vacation.

All I listen to now on radio is WQXR, the Times classical station.  What is it with classical announcers and their affected accents?  Bring back Greg Whiteside.

DRAlexPage, hello!  I hope we'll see you more often.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 05:57:14 AM »

Good morning DR Ben.
I so often write Dr Ben (Casey?).

Calling Dr Casey
Can you mend a broken heart?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 05:59:24 AM »

What is this thing called a radio everyone is writing about?
It was the "Wireless" to me.
("On the Radio" to Donna Summer)
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 06:01:50 AM »

Hello DR Elmore

Video killed the radio star.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 06:11:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: JUGATE!
The jugate my homework.  Both pages.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 06:11:55 AM »

For almost eight years I listened to WGLD - FM, 104.5.  The DJ's were informative although I got tired of their chatter most mornings.

Then suddenly one morning last year WGLD became JACK FM - a completely automated "music" station with no DJ's and NO LOCAL NEWS WEATHER OR TRAFFIC reports.

I haven't found a new station yet - but if I ever need the morning traffic again (fingers crossed) I will have to do some searching.

I hate JACK-FM.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 06:12:37 AM »

LOL DR SWW.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 06:13:52 AM »

Hello DR Elmore

Video killed the radio star.

Apropos of nothing, DR TovOZ - I choreographed a really nice routine to that song....and could probably do it today. :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 06:16:54 AM »

Good morning Mr Earls et al. And from me it's Goodnight.
It's no longer goodnight from him. (Mr Barker)
James Thurber 1957
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up