Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: APROPOS OF NOTHING  (Read 17828 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:APROPOS OF NOTHING
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2005, 06:28:16 AM »

Because of time cramping on me yesterday, I never did get back to the TOD (now TOY).  I did make spinach and ricotta ravioli, but that's another subject entirely.

First boss from hell, when I was working at the now world-famous Alex Theater in Glendale, CA, back when it was a very run-down movie palace.  Richard, the manager, was such a flaming queen that I swear he must have had sequened underwear...or would have, if he hadn't been living with his mother.  Richard wanted to get in my pants, or maybe get me in his, or something like that, but I wasn't interested.  He found another fellow who was sort-of-interested, and the two of them would stand at the ticket-taking stand and laugh at me if I got in the weeds working alone at the candy counter.  He would also pilfer from the box office and lay the blame on his employees.  He wasn't very popular.  After the fellow-who-was-sort-of lost interest, Richard found another fellow, and fired me.  Best thing that could have happened.  This new fellow reported on all of Richard's misdeeds to the corporate office, and Richard was not heard of again.  Tsk-tsk.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2005, 06:29:22 AM »

I have no idea what kind of dance should be done with that last post.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2005, 06:46:23 AM »

TOD: Rege Cordic had a great morning show on KDKA, Pittsburgh's first radio station.  Mr. Cordic combined top 40 with humorous skits in between.  Cordic also went to Hollywood, and can be seen in quite a few films in character rolesin film and teevee movies.  On Sunday afternoons, he took over the WTAE Million Dollar Movie from critic Harold V. Cohan, which is where I saw many an impressive film, mostly from the MGM catalogue.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2005, 06:48:47 AM »

I didn't start listening to the radio until I was in 7th grade, and then it was mostly the top 40 stations. My best friend Dave had a short wave radio and we would locate interesting radio stations from around the world and on occasion we would happen upon old radio programs like Jack Benny or Fred Allen or the like....that was something we both really enjoyed!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2005, 06:49:24 AM »

Then, while I was working at the insurance company, I got saddled with running the supplies department.  Being stuck in a dark cubbyhole all alone wasn't a good environment for me, particularly when I hit a long spell of depression.  The managers knew something was wrong, but instead of getting me out of that job they stuck me with a new supervisor, Regina, a heavily closeted lesbian who'se own job was on the line for being ineffectual.  She had me moving boxes here, moving them there, making things look busy, and then blaming me for how badly the response to the rest of the office was when they needed their supplies.  

It turned out that her scheme was to get me fired, to prove that it wasn't her fault for how badly things were going.  Fortunately, one of my former supervisors stood up for me, got me transferred back to the fileroom, and everyone was shocked and thrilled to see a 180 degree turnaround in my job performance.  Everyone except Regina, of course.  She was given another slave clerk, who found it just as impossible to work for her.  Meanwhile, the evidence kept mounting against her, and after she got my replacement fired, she was fired herself.

Several years later, der B and I were leaving a restaurant in Orange County when who do we run into but Regina.  She was thrilled to see me, as she was suing the company for discrimination.  It was obvious that she had been fired because she was a lesbian!  (Mind, she had been so deeply closeted that I hadn't suspected a thing, and I was already very out of the closet.)  She tried to get information on what her former bosses were up to, and expected me to side with her because, after all, we had to protect each other, right?  I simply kept my mouth shut, and got away as quickly as I could.  It never even occured to her that I, the fellow who was out at work, had been kept on the job; the whole discrimination charge was a sham.

The next day I reported the incident to my supervisors.  It was the least I could do to support her.  The very least.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2005, 06:52:05 AM »

TOD:  I remember a programme called "Cynic's Choice," which ran on either Saturdays or Sundays, which played British comedy.  I learned how to ennunciate from that show, which was very confusing to my schoolmates because I also picked up the accent.

And there was always Gary Owens.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2005, 06:54:24 AM »

Quote from: George on Yesterday at 11:53:59pm
I'm here (finally).  I watched tonight's "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" and am now watching "The Colbert Report" (pronounced "Colbare Repore").  While I was watching the very first segment with just Stephen Colbert, all I could think of was ... "why?"  But his next two segments with first guest Stone Phillips are very funny.  I'll definitely watch it, at least for now.

I set the DVR to record it, and I'll watch it today. It sounded funny from the newspaper description.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2005, 06:54:49 AM »

I'll have to tell the stories of Michael and Benny at another time.  I was asked to come in earlier today, for a seven-hour shift instead of six.  (I must be doing something right, these bosses seem to really like my work.)

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2005, 06:55:30 AM »

Just wanted to comment that yesterday's posts are not closed; I just posted a couple of items, so when bk wakes up, just want to alert him that yesterday is still open.

td

• td
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2005, 06:56:21 AM »

The jugate my homework.  Both pages.

Whenever I jugate, I'm jiggy with it.   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2005, 07:08:10 AM »

I remember Jugate from my old comic books, there was Archie and Veronica and Reggie and Betty and Jugate and Ethel and Midge and Moose and Mr. Weatherbee....

(it would be really sad that I remembered all those names if the Vixter has not just started  reading them courtesy of an older cousin who just sent on all her old comics!)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 07:20:43 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2005, 07:11:34 AM »

Thank you again for all your good wishes yetserday... and dearest elmore you were not being a jerk... you were preoccupied with thoughts of impending hunger, and abject poverty due to no fault of your own!!

I am glad you were treated to a lovely meal by a anonymous benefactor

Ben

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2005, 07:19:14 AM »

I now listen to many programs (inlcuding our own Donald Feltham) on the "radio" but it's via the Internet. I am officially a BBC Junkie. I've talked ad nauseum about this but without my BBC connection I don't know what I would do  ;)

I'm listening to Donald right now. It's a show featuring the many New York/stage performers who are on television shows in this new season (Roger Bart, Mark-Linn Baker, Alan Alda, etc.)

vixmom

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2005, 07:19:48 AM »

Last night vixdad took the Vixter and me to Gashos, a Japanese hibachi restaurant where you are seated at a table with other people and the chef comes and cooks at your table with much crashing and clashing of knives etc.

We were seated witha young couple who were celebrating their 6 month anniversary of their first date .  They were very sweet and lovely and we had a great conversation.  

Vixdad and I both had filet mignon and scallops, with a shirimp appetizer, Japanese  onion soup, salad with ginger dressing , hibachi  fried rice, and a conglomerate of hibachi fried veggies such as  mushrooms, squash, bean sprouts, carrots, peas etc.
followed by a cup of hot green tea.

All in all a lovely meal.  The Vixter had steak, and no seafood but oitherwise the same meal as we did. There was no cake, however there was an offer of cherry vanilla ice cream when we got home but I passed.

I have no TV watching to report... although I believe there may have been a mild earthquake  on Long Island last night... at least I thought  I felt the earth move........hmmmm must check the papers  

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 07:22:15 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2005, 07:23:15 AM »

Hello semi-new DR alexpaige!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2005, 07:37:38 AM »

Not only are yesterday's posts still unlocked, they are showing up at the top of the index for all the daily discussions, with today's posts second (at least on my computer).  I, too, posted into yesterday's notes this mornings, quite by accident.

Late Anniversary and Birthday wishes to the Vixes and DiT, who happens to be our Rabbi's cousin (thanks to Detective Jane for ferreting out this information).

I just bid on a new computer (same model as we have now, only with a few upgrades) on eBay, just in case this one dies in the next few days.  It's only $500!  I can live with that.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2005, 07:39:19 AM »

And of course those who know DS Betsy know she was a news anchor on Chicago's alternative rock station, WXRT.  She was lured out to these parts by Portland station KEX, whose motto I once jokingly suggested should be "Songs you've heard just a few too many times."  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2005, 07:40:03 AM »

Good morning!

We have another spectacularly beautiful day here. Cool, crisp morning with nary a cloud in the sky. Going into the high 70s today, and I will be enjoying being out in it for at least part of the day.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2005, 07:45:27 AM »

I have never been a radio person. Long ago, on some Charlotte station, they did "The Best of Broadway" from 8-9 every Monday night, and I would listen to that. If there was a plot summary on the LP cover, the DJ would read it before playing the selections. The show was usually broken into 4 segments with commercials in between.

I heard the soundtrack recording to MY FAIR LADY first on this program before I had my own LP copy or saw the film. The DJ would also occasionally do other movie musicals like MARY POPPINS, but I don't ever remember hearing any but the big Broadway hits. Not even second tier hits like PLAIN AND FANCY or REDHEAD showed up.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2005, 07:48:32 AM »

I am old enough to have heard one radio series. Usually on Sunday night, we'd get take-out from a drive-in, and I'd drive with my dad to pick it up. I can remember many Sunday nights driving home and hearing "Gunsmoke" on the radio with William Conrad as Matt Dillon. We watched GUNSMOKE on TV, and I couldn't understand why James Arness didn't just play Matt Dillon on radio as well as on TV.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2005, 07:49:48 AM »

Anxiously awaiting the mailman to see if BATMAN BEGINS and the boxed set of Season 1 of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN arrives today.

They promised!

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2005, 07:50:52 AM »

Any comments on last night's MEDIUM? I haven't watched it yet, but should get to it this afternoon as I'm preparing lunch.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2005, 07:55:18 AM »

Though MONSTER-IN-LAW wasn't a smash hit, it did better than just about anything else Jennifer Lopez has put her name to in quite some time. $83 million gross in the US/Canada is more than PHANTOM OF THE OPERA made.

I had no interest in paying to see it or renting the DVD, but I'll probably watch when it rotates onto HBO/Showtime?STARZ in another six months or so.

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2005, 08:02:36 AM »

When I was about 12 I got my very first radio which received both  AM AND FM if you please!

I think I still have it in a box somewhere in the basement.  It had a maroon  faux leather  exterior and stood about  foot high.

I used to listen to  WBAB 102.3 FM out of West Babylon, New York which was brand new station in those days... in fact I still occassionally listen to them when I need Long Island traffic news  while I'm driving into  or home work or if the story on NPR is annoying me.

WBAB was a top 40 station and as it was brand new it was trying to get kids to listen to it.  They had  contests with prizes  such as " Be a junior deejay", where you got to choose the records (from their song list) and do the in between patter for an hour.   I got to do that twice.  They also would always be out and about in local areas giving away records.  I was introduced to David Bowie  when I was given a copy of the newly released "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders of Mars" album.

When I was older I put my own phone line in my room (back then it cost something like $10 a month for unlimited local and the phone itself, as well as the connection was free .. I had a baby blue pincess phone.... I loved that phone.... but I digress) which I paid for with my babysitting and paper route money. I used to call the overnight deejay and chat with him  for hours but I'll be darned if I can remember his name now.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 08:08:39 AM by vixmom »

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2005, 08:15:18 AM »

Have to run out now to do some errands, but I'll be back in a few . . . .

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2005, 08:19:47 AM »

Interested in what extras (if any) are on the SUPERMAN set.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2005, 08:20:58 AM »

;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2005, 08:36:05 AM »

Just jugate, 'enry 'iggins!
Just jugate!
You'll be sorry but your tears will be too late!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2005, 08:48:42 AM »

If I didn't know there was a hole in it, I'd have sworn that jugate my porridge.

[shudder]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2005, 08:49:17 AM »

DR MattH:  I, aussi, have not seen last night's "Medium."  I was SO-O-O tired, I let it record and I went to bed.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up