Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: APROPOS OF NOTHING  (Read 18087 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:APROPOS OF NOTHING
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2005, 12:10:37 PM »

Nine things that are very irritating:

1. People who point at their wrist while asking for the time.... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

;D ;D ;D ROTFLOL

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2005, 12:11:11 PM »

Oh and another pretty good episode of MEDIUM last night.  They are being much less predictable this year.  And the stories are quite hard to figure out.  My only complaint (still) is that they leave too much unresolved till the very last minute.  And then the round-up is a bit too fast. :(

Jane

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2005, 12:12:02 PM »

Matt H and Ron, please wait until tomorrow to discuss MEDIUM so I can participate in the conversation.

Oh Vixmom-good cleaning vibes!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2005, 12:18:50 PM »

Ive been a very busy boy.  I led my senior chorus in a retirement home performance this morning, then returned, got up on the ladder and sprayed my roof with moss killer.  I also raked the roof to get the really big hunks o'moss off.  Then I went inside and touched up the paint in the kitchen.  I will be most eager to see if DS Betsy notices that the kitchen doesn't have big gouges in the wall anymore where the kids have rammed their chairs into the walls.  The best part is, I guessed at the paint shade in the store and it looks like it's going to dry pretty darned close to the correct shade.  Yay!!!  And all of this with a cold.  Blecccch.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2005, 12:22:44 PM »

DR Vixmom, have you met the new tide stick? I unfortunately use it constantly! :)

(but really it is a huge help and gets off stains right away without water!).

I do not possess one although I did see the commercial for it the other day ( with  the soldiers in  boot camp using it)  Looks like an investment I will have to make!! ::)

I ended up turning my shirt around, one advantage to a mock neck is that you can do so :D

I am still, of course, sporting that fabulous new scent :

Odeur d'essence

... at least it smells expensive! ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 12:29:59 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2005, 12:28:42 PM »

Ben Dublin is beautiful at Christmas time.  Don’t forget to go to Thornton’s Toffee and try their special toffee and their mint humbugs.  And, if there is room in your bag, and you feel like bringing home extra bags of humbugs, and then shipping said bags to Ashland, Oregon………..

Most of all just treat yourselves.  There used to be a wonderful Indian Restaurant there, a bit pricey but delicious.  

Have I mentioned all this before?

vixmom

« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2005, 12:31:43 PM »

Vixmom ,JMK, DtM and Jason   ;D I noticed, only because it took me until now to read last nights posts.

we naughty, naughty children  ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2005, 12:32:46 PM »

According to Esquire Magazine, men over 30 should not skip.

And never prance!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2005, 12:33:20 PM »

I am glad you are feeling a bit better  DR Jason... and I hope you are feeling better soon DR JMK

~~~~~Feel Better Vibes~~~ to both of you.

Jane

« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2005, 12:33:32 PM »

As for last nights MEDIUM-any chance of waiting until tomorrow to discuss it so I can participate?  

Jennifer I know what you mean about the fast round-up, however, when the journey there is engrossing I’m not bothered by it.  

Jane

« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2005, 12:34:41 PM »

I am glad you are feeling a bit better  DR Jason... and I hope you are feeling better soon DR JMK

~~~~~Feel Better Vibes~~~ to both of you.

Ditto from me.  :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2005, 01:07:35 PM »

DR Ron, those were very funny!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2005, 01:07:50 PM »

And never prance!

I won't prance.

Don't ask me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2005, 01:10:34 PM »

DR Jane, of course I can wait until tomorrow. I'll just say I thought it was as good as all of this season's shows. Seems like the writers spent the hiatus months carefully rethinking their strategies for showing us Allison's visions.

I honestly think this year's MEDIUM is one of the strongest shows on television now and completely unpredictable.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2005, 01:11:59 PM »

Also on MEDIUM, the previews for next week look REALLY great, another twist that knocks the formula for a loop.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2005, 01:13:51 PM »

I watched last night's THE COLBERT REPORT this afternoon, and it was hilarious. As fast and funny as THE DAILY SHOW (which is HIGH praise indeed), COmedy Central really now has a one-two comedy punch that's a knockout.

Why can't current situation comedies be this funny? I mean, this stuff is hysterical!

Jane

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2005, 01:16:31 PM »

Thanks Matt H.  I will not not to join in too late tomorrow.  

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2005, 01:17:30 PM »

How White is your Brain?

Brain abnormalities linked to pathological lying

Last Updated: 2005-10-17 15:02:16 -0400 (Reuters Health)

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Pathological liars may have structural abnormalities in their brains, a new study suggests.

Dr. Adrian Raine and Yaling Yang of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, and colleagues found that individuals who habitually lied and cheated had less gray matter and more white matter in their prefrontal cortex than normal people. They report their findings in the British Journal of Psychiatry.

Past studies have found that the prefrontal cortex shows heightened activity when normal people lie, and it is believed to be involved in both learning moral behavior and feeling remorse.

Because gray matter consists of brain cells, while white matter forms the "wiring" or connections between these cells, pathological liars may have more capacity to lie and fewer moral restraints, the authors suggest. "They've got the equipment to lie, and they don't have the disinhibition that the rest of us have in telling the big whoppers," Raine said in a press release accompanying the study.

The researchers used a series of psychological tests and interviews in a group of volunteers to identify 12 pathological liars, 16 people with antisocial personality disorder but no history of lying, and 21 normal people. They then examined the brains of all study participants using magnetic resonance imaging.

Liars had 26 percent more white matter in their prefrontal cortex than people with antisocial personality disorder, and 22 percent more than normal people. But they had 14 percent less gray matter than normal individuals.

Interestingly, the researchers note, autistic people -- who are known to have difficulty lying -- show a shift in gray-to-white matter ratio opposite to that seen among liars in the current study. "Although autism is a complex condition and cannot be taken as a model for lying, these results on autistic children, combined with the prior fMRI findings on lying in normal controls, converge with current findings on adult liars suggesting that the prefrontal cortex is centrally involved in the capacity to lie," the authors write.

Also, they note, while small children aren't good liars, by the age of 10 -- by which time a burst in white matter volume has occurred -- they become much more proficient in telling falsehoods.

While the findings have no practical implications at present, if confirmed they could be useful in clinical diagnoses of whether a person is pretending to be sick; in criminal justice settings, by helping police determine if a suspect is lying; and in pre-employment screening, the authors suggest.

SOURCE: British Journal of Psychiatry, October 2005

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 01:25:51 PM by vixmom »

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2005, 01:20:41 PM »

SInce my Amazon package did NOT come today (BOO! HISS!). I settled in with last year's indie hit SIDEWAYS.

I was wary of this film because I had gotten mixed reviews on it from friends who saw it in the theater. I also remembered my complete disgust with the last BIG indie critical hit LOST IN TRANSLATION and was thinking this might be the same kind of bore.

Not to worry, I found it funny, moving, and INTERESTING. One really came to care about these characters and especially the Charlie Brown-ish main character played by Paul Giamatti. It is shocking to me that he wasn't Oscar nominated for this, but then looking at the list of nominees (Don Cheadle, Leonardo DiCaprio, Clint Eastwood, Johnny Depp, and winner Jamie Foxx), I don't know who should have been bumped off to make room for him. They were ALL deserving. Sometimes it happens that there are more outstanding performances than room for them on the nomination list.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2005, 01:23:12 PM »

While I was watching SIDEWAYS off the DVR, the DVR was also recording BRIDGET JONES: THE EDGE OF REASON. I liked the first BRIDGET JONES just OK, so I've waited to see this less celebrated sequel until it came on one of the pay cable channels.

I'll get around to it at some point this week. Maybe since BONES and HOUSE are reruns tonight, I'll start it tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2005, 01:24:49 PM »

I've also recorded WALK, DON'T RUN, Cary Grant's last film, off TCM. I've never seen this though I saw the original version THE MORE THE MERRIER. Looking forward to seeing what changes were made to the story from the 1943 version.

I had forgotten that Charles Walters directed this remake. Must have been one of his last films

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2005, 01:31:20 PM »

I wonder if when you apply for a job they are going to request a CAT scan... maybe we should ask to see measurments of the white matter in our elected officials, and political canidates prefrontal cortexes. (cortexi?)

I can just see the TV ads now..." John Doe says he's in favor of lower taxes for the middle class, but with over with 50 % white matter in his frontal cortex how can we be sure he's telling the truth?"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 01:32:10 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2005, 01:34:28 PM »

Hmmmm, not that I would ever say that the ads on the top have anythingto do with the topics we are discussing... but I start talking about pathalogical liars and the ads on the top  are  "Understanding Bush" and "Replace Bush?" and 'Terrorism Are you Safe?"

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2005, 01:34:46 PM »

I'm sure it's coincidental
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 01:35:17 PM by vixmom »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »

Matt H and Ron, please wait until tomorrow to discuss MEDIUM so I can participate in the conversation.

Oh Vixmom-good cleaning vibes!

No troubles here, since I haven't seen it yet.

And it may have to wait even longer than usual....I MAY be watching "The V.I.P.s" when I get home tonight, thanks to DR Matt H. who copied it for me off a Turner airing.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2005, 01:36:42 PM »

And never prance!

Is this a copyright violation or somethin'?

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2005, 01:42:09 PM »

Back for butt a moment, butt must now be on my way to LACC, after which I shall be back for butt another moment.

vixmom

« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2005, 01:51:05 PM »

"It's all bottoms with you Americans, isn't it?"  Basil Fawlty

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2005, 01:51:55 PM »

No troubles here, since I haven't seen it yet.

And it may have to wait even longer than usual....I MAY be watching "The V.I.P.s" when I get home tonight, thanks to DR Matt H. who copied it for me off a Turner airing.

Great! Glad it got there OK. I wish my Amazon package had arrived, but that's another matter entirely!   :'(

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2005, 01:52:58 PM »

"It's all bottoms with you Americans, isn't it?"  Basil Fawlty

I have FAWLTY TOWERS on DVD and need to rewatch it again soon. Just love those shows, among the funniest sitcoms ever.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up