Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SOMETHIN' WRONG WITH YOUR BUMPER?  (Read 25893 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SOMETHIN' WRONG WITH YOUR BUMPER?
« on: October 19, 2005, 12:10:41 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what's wrong with your bumper, fasten your seat belts it's going to be a bumper night, and now you are ready to post until the cows come home - they're currently trying to figure out what a bumper is.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 12:09:28 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SOMETHIN' WRONG WITH YOUR BUMPER?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 12:12:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: CONATION!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:24:50 AM »

Ask BK:  You say that Kevin's new single is getting a lot of radio play?  How does that happen?  How does one go about getting some radio play for the equally deserving Guy Haines?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 12:39:15 AM »

You spend a LOT of money.  Kevin is paying a radio plugger to work the single - plus he's got Days of our Lives to use as a hook, all helpful.  It would be a rough road getting Guy played, but we are ever hopeful.  Sadly, I think Gary Owens' days are numbered at his station (if he's not already gone) and I'm sure that's why he never got around to much new stuff.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 12:39:37 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 12:40:02 AM »

CONATION, baby, CONATION!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 01:46:37 AM »

Here's my question of the day, for those who've helped me search for people that I needed to find.  I was on the intelius website (where I did a search once).  I've never been able to get a direct match for the name I wanted, so I used an initial and also a fuller version of the name, but nothing panned out in the numbers I got.  

This time, when I searched, I used the correct first name, and for the last name I clicked on "maiden name".  This time I got offered a "background check" on the exact name, but it's fifty bucks and I'm not sure what I'll get or if it's even the right person.  Has anyone done this, and if so, am I likely to have success or will I just be wasting the fifty bucks?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 02:28:04 AM »

I am STILL waiting for my REWIND.  :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 03:38:19 AM »

What?  Someone might ask, is Ron Pulliam doing posting at 3:35 a.m.?

Well might that person ask!

And if Ron Pulliam should reply, it would be amidst sneezes and snuffles and many blowings of the nose and much expulsion of the phlegmatic matters that currently plague him and his sleep.

So, I am up and waiting for a tablet to take effect so that I might again take up my slumber.  This is no sleeping tablet, no.  It's a sinus tablet.

Ack!

I should have foreseen all this and invested in Kleenex stock.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 03:44:00 AM »

Nothing would do last night until I watched every last frame of "The V.I.P.s."   It was enjoyable!  Quite a bit of fun watching Margaret Rutherford dither and fuss as the Duchess of Brighton.  A wonderful character that.

And the young Maggie Smith is a joy to behold.

Rod Taylor's Aussie accent sound more cockney than anything.  He had a lot of lines and it was a chore having to listen to them delivered with a half-baked accent.

Here's a question probably more directly pointed at Pogue and BK:

Miklos Rozsa's exquisite (to me) score was released on an MGM LP.  In the final band on side 2, three scenes were combined from the end of the film.  In one of them, the love theme is taken up by an exquisite violin solo.  I tried in vain to locate that scene in the film.  Just where I thought it should be -- where Frances finds Paul and asks him to take her home -- the scene had no scoring.  Do you know if that solo ever appeared in the film?

I can, of course, direct the query to the Rozsa Society if no one here knows the answer.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 03:45:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 03:46:13 AM »

I am breathing more freely and the tablet is doing its intended job.

And the sandman is a knockin'!

Ciao-ders!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 04:25:21 AM »

I wondered what DR RLP was doing up at this hour.  Now I know.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 04:25:45 AM »

I think Austria-Hungary is the first example of conation.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 04:28:17 AM »

Oh ASK BK day.  I always have questions and then I forget them.  

BUT -

Often times in movies and TV shows there a big dance numbers that are being watched by main characters in the movies....

When the dances are to include cutaways to audience or adoring person watching (Mr Gene Kelly particularly liked to include BIG FAT CLOSEUPS of HIS MUG when OTHER people were dancing) - was the choreographer privy to the information of which parts of his dance would NOT be included?  Or did the director and the editor cut it all up and leave some of the splits and chasse's on the floor at random.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 04:51:10 AM »

Good morning, all!  Apropos of today's headline, I had two close encounters of the very strange kind with Faith Dane, who - so far as I know - is alive and well in New York.  The first was in 1973, Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival.  She showed up for a performance on the arm of choreographer Donald Saddler.  I remember that she was quite tall.

Around 1990 or so, Miss Dane called The Drama Book Shop several times, looking for legal advice from one of the owners, a lovely gentleman who was one of the worst bosses I ever had:  my memory is that she actually had been an exotic dancer who played trumpet in her act, all of which became part of the GYPSY libretto, and that she was looking for help in landing a chunk of the show's royalties as a creator.  This may have been prompted by all the brouhaha at the time of the dancers' stories used in creating A CHORUS LINE.

So, there are things to do today: a breakfast at 9:00 with Susanna Tarjan, daughter of Jerome Moross, several hours with Harold Arlen, Yip Harburg and Ira Gershwin, and, after all the drudgery, the glamour and excitement of laundry.  Heigh ho, the glamorous life!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 04:54:28 AM »

I keep watching Beat the Clock on the Game Show Network and trying to reconcile the Roxanne demurely demonstrating Blue Dot Flashbulbs and Sylvania Halo Vision television sets with Miss Electra!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 04:57:28 AM »

Jerome Moross...was he a novelist?  Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Michael

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 05:30:16 AM »

Rod Taylor's Aussie accent sound more cockney than anything.  He had a lot of lines and it was a chore having to listen to them delivered with a half-baked accent.

Rod Taylor was born in New Zealand. So he was probably speaking in his native accent. Which is close to a Aussie accent.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 05:31:38 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 05:35:49 AM »

I see that Wilma is coming to Florida.

This is the 21st name storrm and the last. So there are no x, Y, Z. So they must have skipped over three other letters. Anyone know why?

If there are more storms this year they are named after the Greek alphabet.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 05:46:18 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2005, 05:36:33 AM »

Jerome Moross...was he a novelist?  Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Jerome Moross:  composer of BALLET BALLADS, THE GOLDEN APPLE, and other theatre scores as well as film scores to THE BIG COUNTRY, THE VALLEY OF GWANGI, THE CARDINAL, and others.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2005, 06:07:21 AM »

Michael Shayne said:

This is the 21st name storrm (Wilma) and the last. So there are no x, Y, Z. So they must have skipped over three other letters. Anyone know why?

Because they want to name the remaining storms Fred, Barney and Betty  ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 06:07:44 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005, 06:14:45 AM »

I see that Wilma is coming to Florida.

This is the 21st name storrm and the last. So there are no x, Y, Z. So they must have skipped over three other letters. Anyone know why?

If there are more storms this year they are named after the Greek alphabet.

Can you imagine a Hurricane Zsa Zsa?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2005, 06:31:06 AM »

DR Ben -  My Mom would love a storm named Fred.  Then she could honestly tell her friends that Fred is coming to visit her in Florida.  :)

Mom had fractured her shoulder last week, but she was really anxious to get back home to Florida, even with the fracture, and it seems she was told it was OK for her to fly.  But just a few nice vibes from my family to Jet Blue for having gone out of their way to make her comfortable.  Apparently, the people at Jet Blue were especially kind and considerate of her condition before and during the flight.  (Maybe they had to be and had no choice about being accommodating, I'm not sure, but according to Mom and Dad, they gave service and consideration with a smile.)

FJL

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2005, 06:33:57 AM »

Doing a little catching up.  Belated happy anniversary, vixmom - hope it was a great one.

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 06:42:32 AM »

Here's my question of the day, for those who've helped me search for people that I needed to find.  I was on the intelius website (where I did a search once).  I've never been able to get a direct match for the name I wanted, so I used an initial and also a fuller version of the name, but nothing panned out in the numbers I got.  

This time, when I searched, I used the correct first name, and for the last name I clicked on "maiden name".  This time I got offered a "background check" on the exact name, but it's fifty bucks and I'm not sure what I'll get or if it's even the right person.  Has anyone done this, and if so, am I likely to have success or will I just be wasting the fifty bucks?

I wish I could help BK, but I have never used Intelius. Try Zabasearch.com and see if you have better luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2005, 06:51:37 AM »

From what I've heard, BK, those background check sites are a rip-off in that they generally provide info that available elsewhere on the net for free.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 07:02:36 AM »

good morning one and all and also to all and one

I could not access the internet from home last night, we only have dial up and we only have AOL  do I need to explain further?

So bk, I will attempt the reviews tonight,  AOL willing.....

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 07:05:46 AM »

I am so sorry to hear about your bumper trouble dear bk... I suspect that the BMW wasn't properly parked... or the parkingbrake wasn't properly engaged and it slid forward as you were sliding in..

YES! That's IT!   The BMW slid forward as you were parking--- it hit YOU!!!!!!

( I can just feel the white matter taking over my frontal cortex....)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 07:06:55 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2005, 07:08:44 AM »

Last night, DR TCB wrote:

"Unfortunately, Mr. Norona is not in the Broadway production, but is starring in INCONCEIVABLE on television instead."

Well, he was for three episodes. Due to low ratings, the show has been canceled. A shame, too, because even though it was a glossy melodrama with no particular depth to the characters or stories, I did enjoy it very much.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2005, 07:27:54 AM »

I agree with DR DtM - I think those searches you pay for are ripoffs.  Never knew anyone who found out anything or anyone or was happy with paying for it!  Beware...beware.

Watching COME FLY WITH ME....never saw it before.  Stewardesses for Polar Atlantic Airlines between NYC and Paris.  Big Budget and funny in spots.

Dolores Hart is chasing Baron Karl Boehm (who will always be Peeping Tom to me), Pamela Tiffin is chasing co-pilot Hugh O'Brien, and poor Lois Nettleton, tourist class stewardess, has to settle for Karl Malden.  

Great title tune by Van Heusen & Cahn (sort of makes up for those awful ANYTHING GOES tunes, sort of).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up