Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPOILING THE BROTH  (Read 19833 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SPOILING THE BROTH
« on: October 27, 2005, 12:07:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've spoiled the notes, the notes have spoiled you, and now it is time for you to post until the spoiled cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 12:11:52 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SPOILING THE BROTH
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:07:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: MINESTRONE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 12:10:10 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to occasional dear reader wlajb!

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 12:19:48 AM »

Happy birthday wlajb.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 12:23:38 AM »

I like soups:
Sweet Potato and coconut milk.
Tomato with orange juice and sherry
Beef consumé with claret.
French Onion
Apple and celery
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 12:31:45 AM »

The word of the day is a simple anagram for Rome Tennis.  The soup so named has been strained through a Roman tennis racquet.
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 12:47:59 AM »

Dear BK wrote yesterday;
Has not one person on this site listened to this week's radio show?  Does anyone on this site listen to the radio show, because if we're just flapping our wings in the wind, I will stop the show so fast it will make your head spin.

I’ve tried to listen to the radio show a few times so far, but I’ve never gotten it. When I clicked “download it here” button I always could see only “Set: from variable doesn't exist” page… What should I do with that page? I have no idea how I get the radio show now… Can anybody help me?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 12:49:58 AM »

Beautiful bird photo, DR Tomovoz!
What is his/her name? As for birds, usually males have much, much more beautiful feathers than females do, don’t they?

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 12:54:53 AM »

This is a male "King Parrot". The female bird does not have the red colouring on her head.  Not all of them are this friendly. They are less shy than many other birds.
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 01:06:27 AM »

I usually don’t have soup much, because it makes me full before a main dish.  I sometime make Minestrone and French Onion soup for light dinner and I have them (individually, not together) with Garlic Bread, regularly.  And any kind of Miso soup will be fine all the time.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 01:14:09 AM »

Thank you for the great NYC photos, DR Danise.
I'd been in NYC over twenty years ago and I'd like to go so far as there on my next visit to the USA.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 03:45:20 AM »

Minestrone....not YOURS....mine!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 03:46:40 AM »

Loved the pictures, DRDANISE.  

Now I have a dumb question....is that a picture of Michael Ball and SOMEONE in a baseball cap - or is that Michael Ball in a baseball cap....or....I can't figure it out.  The Michael Ball looks like a theatre poster, I am confused.  I know...I know....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 03:47:57 AM »

I love Chicken Noodle Soup by Campbell's.  MMMMMMMMM.mmmmm good.

I also like the Cream of Chicken and Cream of Celery Soup.

My mom did NOT make a lot of soups.  Chili and stew yes, but soup came from a can.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 04:40:05 AM »

I listen to the Radio Show every week. I love it. It's part of my weekly auditory experience. The BBC and Donald. What a pair!!! I don't comment on the show every week but I do listen every week. This week's show is very good, lots of funny stories. The falling off stage story and the related story involving Priscilla Lopez (not our own Cillaliz) is lots of fun. There are also good numbers from Stages.

I like Minestrone soup but I think my favorite is Split Pea Soup. A bowl of Cream of Tomato and a hot grilled cheese sandwich would not be turned down either.

I'm all alone right now. I won't frenzy but I will return.

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 04:46:00 AM »

Good morning DRs Elmore and Ben. Have a great day.  Good night.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 04:50:00 AM »

Good morning, all!  This morning we ship the performance materials off to Chicago and I go back to Toyland via the NYPL Theatre Collection.  On Nov 7, Tom Murray is back in town and our final edit of BABES IN TOYLAND continues.

DRJose, while you are in DC, would you please be so kind to check for National Theatre programs from Sept 1903 for me?

Tomorrow night, a small group of us will assemble around 6:30 on 42nd Street for a performance of Stephen Schwartz' CAPTAIN LOUIE.  I look forward to seeing everyone for the first time in three weeks.

My mother made fantastic potato soup.  I make good vegetable beef soup and an okay chicken soup.

DRJed, three summers with THE SOUND OF MUSIC?  Were you in the show?  What role?  Speculations are endless.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 04:50:30 AM »

Good morning DRs Elmore and Ben. Have a great day.  Good night.

Good night, Dear Friend.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 05:45:53 AM »

If you're able to listen to Donald regularly, your Donald quotient will go up soon, according to the Broadway Radio Show. He'll be doing another show at www.broadwayworld.com

How exciting!

Ben

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 05:47:11 AM »

I'm also looking forward to Captain Louie tomorrow (and to seeing the NY gang). It will be the first performance of the show. They were supposed to begin this evening but according to Playbill On-Line, some technical issues made them move a day later.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 05:47:53 AM »

I'm all alone again. I don't post for days and then when I'm back you all disappear. Makes a fella feel unwanted  ;)

Ben

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 05:56:42 AM »

Well, maybe I won't be listening to Donald's new show when it plays. I just went over to Broadway World and I can't get their radio show to play on my computer. I can listen to radio all over the world but Broadway World doesn't seem to want to work here. I've tried all the alternative methods. Oh, well. I'll try again when Donald signs on.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 05:57:25 AM »

I am having a frenzy!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 06:39:53 AM »

The word of the day is a simple anagram for Rome Tennis.  The soup so named has been strained through a Roman tennis racquet.
It's also an anagram for ermine snot.  Fortunately, not commonly used as an ingredient.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 06:45:25 AM »

Soup of the day:

My favorite soup is French Onion Soup, and they make a great one at Pigalle, which is on 8th Avenue at 48th Street, but you must make sure to ask for extra cheese (that cuts the calories of those fattening onions  :) )  

As far as French onion soups go, my all-time favorite was at a restaurant at the Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas, where they served the onion soup right in a hollowed out very large half-onion.  But that was in 1989, and when I went back to find that restaurant two years ago, it wasn't there, so that onion soup remains a great memory.  Still, the one at Pigalle fills the bill quite nicely.

I also like a good lobster bisque, and the best of those was from Legal Seafood in Boston.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 06:46:47 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up.  I'm up.

...And I'm keeping my leg elevated... :-\

I ended up falling asleep last night on the living room while watching the World Series...  I believe Chicago did win... I remember lots and lots of cheering...  Then a rerun of "Friends" came on... Then I tried to get off the couch to head downstairs to my bed...  Well...

YOWZIE!

So...  I managed to make it down the stairs - treading very carefully - set up my bed, put some pillows at the foot of the bed so that I could keep my feet elevated, etc...

I actually slept rather well.   My knee does feel better this morning, and I think I'll take my plan of action today from the fact that "It only hurts when I move it".  Unfortunately, I do have the sense that all the moving around I did yesterday probably strained whatever is strained.  Fortunately, due to the various injuries that my brothers incurred while playing sports, there a couple of pairs of crutches in the basement; so if I need to head out... or even just around the house.

But I've had my breakfast already, and I made it up the stairs with no major twinges.  So...  Guess it will be a good day for surfing, chatting and reading.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 06:49:14 AM »

Last night, DR George wrote:

"I don't suppose you (or anyone else) recorded this and still have it?  I yet again taped the wrong freakin' channel!  Dammit!  Why do I do this??  Anyway, if someone can send me a copy, I'd be more than happy to pay for a tape and shipping or send a copy of a CD or something.  Pity me."

I'm SO sorry. I would have been glad to burn you a DVD if I had only known, but last night since L&O was a rerun, I watched INVASION live and recorded CSI: NY. (Ordinarily I watch L&O live and record INVASION and skip CSI so I can catch it in reruns.)

Again, I'm sorry I can't accommodate.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 06:50:55 AM »

Yesterday, after getting my hair cut, I roasted a turkey.  We've had the birds on sale at the store this week, and der B decided to pick up a couple so I could practice.  The bird was quite juicy and tender, and delish.  When we've finished carving down the carcass, I'll be making turkey stock.

As for soups, I tend to be haphazard when I make them.  Depending on what's in my larder, I usually toss some chopped up chicken thighs or breasts into chicken broth, add some onion, carrot and celery, and either noodles or rice.  Some herbs get added to the pot, I let it all cook through, and serve with nice crusty bread.  (No, that is not an oxymoron.  Bread can be nice and crusty at the same time; it's people who have a problem being both.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005, 06:52:14 AM »

More on soup:

How could I forget to mention my own mother's matzoh ball soup, which recipe she got from my grandmother?  Quite excellent.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2005, 06:55:22 AM »

Topic of the Day...

MINESTRONE - Both the traditional tomato-based variety, and the not-so-traditional "white" minestrone - it's either vegetable or chicken-broth based, but no tomatoes.  Cannellini beans, zucchini, onions, pasta, etc., and chicken, if desired.

French Onion - I used to order French Onion whenever I would see it on a menu, but a couple of years ago, I became salt-sensitive.  -Not that my body was salt-sensitive, but my tastebuds became really attuned to salt. So, a lot of those "fake" French Onion soups began to turn me off the stuff - just way too much salt.  -But I'll never pass on that crouton topped with melted cheese.

;)

Otherwise, a good, simple chicken soup always hits the spot for me - with matzoh ball soup being my preferred methode lately.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up