Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPOILING THE BROTH  (Read 19817 times)

Ben

Re:SPOILING THE BROTH
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2005, 07:00:50 AM »

So, let's move on to Page 2

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2005, 07:02:47 AM »

Good morning!

Need I say it again? A gorgeous morning with blue cloudless skies all around. Supposedly the clouds are rolling by (a Jerome Kern reference) later this afternon, but right now, it's a clear blue sky.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2005, 07:04:04 AM »

I never much liked LADY SINGS THE BLUES nor Diana Ross as an actress. Just personal preference, I guess.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2005, 07:06:01 AM »

When I was in college, I went through a "Campbell's Phase".  I just started trying some of the other cans on the shelf that I normally would not put into my shopping cart.  -Especially when they would have those "10 for $3.00" Sales!

Chicken with Noodles, Chicken with Rice, Chicken with Stars, etc. - all of which I would normally just eat the "solids" rather than the broth.  Vegetable (with the Alphabet noodles), Vegetable Beef, Minestrone, etc...

And then there were things like Pepper Pot - which I'm not sure is even made anymore.  -Or maybe it's a regional, Southern thing.  Very flavorful, but reading the ingredients always made me cringe a little bit.  -But I guess it's sort of like an American version of Vietnamese pho.

And then there were all those Chunky Soup varieties - Sirloin Burger sticks in my head right now.

I was never a fan of the "Cream of" soups from the can, and when I did buy them, I would use them in other recipes.  -And I guess Campbell's realized that a lot of other people were doing the same since they changed the labels for most of their "Cream of" soups to more of a Recipe Helper - or whatever term they use.

...And I'm guessing it was shortly after my "Cambell's Phase" that my tastebuds "rebelled" and became salt sensitive.   -It really is amazing just how much sodium the canned stuff contains!  -And since I would usually have one can, and the can would serve two... Thereby fulfilling my USDA recommended amount of sodium for three days in one fell swoop.  -And a couple of slurps.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2005, 07:07:02 AM »

For professionally made soups, I really prefer French Onion.

But all of the soup that I eat around here is from cans. I've become very fond of the Campbell's Chunky soups over the last year or so. Right now, I love the Sirloin Burger soup. In fact, I had some two nights ago. Progresso makes a wonderful Grilled Steak soup that is also very good for canned soup.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2005, 07:08:58 AM »

I think I mentioned the last time we talked soup that my local grocery store canned a variety of soups under its own label, and that the one I had grown most fond of, Tomato Garden, had dropped off the production list. That is still the case, sad to say.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2005, 07:09:18 AM »

DR elmore - Thanks for the reminder.  I actually put the request in for the program info months ago, and have yet to receive a reply.   Hmmm... I may just e-mail you the contact info for the archives.  Since you'll be calling on "official business", maybe they'll get back to you faster.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2005, 07:10:56 AM »

After having spent most of yesterday with THE WIZARD OF OZ on video, I took John Fricke's (and others') elaborate WIZARD OF OZ book off the shelf and happily read it for almost an hour before I finally turned out the lights. Filled with pictures of every description, this is one book every OZ fan should have.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2005, 07:13:12 AM »

Looking forward to DARLING LILI at some point today (though I also have that documentary on the career of Hermes Pan to watch, too).

I read there is an overture and exit music on the DVD. I guess the movie was originally planned as a roadshow feature (and there is an overture on the DARLING LILI LP), but there was certainly no overture when I saw the film on its opening day here. Maybe it played with an Overture at its premiere in NYC.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2005, 07:16:21 AM »

And I'm having lunch with friends today, too, so that's going to cut into my viewing time a little. In fact, I'll need to get up from here momentarily and clean up at bit to prepare for that excursion.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2005, 07:19:52 AM »

Veni

Vidi

and I grokked it all!

Vegetable beef soup was a favorite growing up.  My mom made it from a bunch of leftovers plus a few ingredients she bought specially for it.

Always served with cornbread, too!

I LOVE SOUP!

I have favorite soups at favorite eateries.  At Shan Dong, the Szechuan place I love, it's a sweet-and-sour that kicks all other sweet-and-sours' butts.

At Cuckoo's Nest, a spicy tomato soup served with a brie and sourdough toast.

At Big Apple: New York Deli, the chicken gumbo soup is sheer heaven.

I also love stews....Brunswick stews.

What I always say is:

LET THEM EAT SOUP!

What do you always say?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 09:26:32 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2005, 07:20:37 AM »

I have an 8 a.m. doctor's appointment, so I must rush me out the door.

Ciao-ders!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2005, 07:33:18 AM »

I have to say that at the school where I taught, they served the best vegetable beef soup on the face of the earth. That's one of the few things I miss about going to work, though they only had soup every couple of weeks.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2005, 07:34:05 AM »

A nice home-made beef and vegatable soup

Menudo

Miso soup

Borscht

Split Pea

Oyster Stew

Well, I pretty much like most all soups, especially if they are home-made.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2005, 07:37:32 AM »

Percy Faith does a perfectly delicious version of "Happy" (Theme from Lady Sings the Blues) on one of his very best late-career albums, Clair.

Veni, vidi, vici department:  Latin-philes know that the "v" is actually pronounced like a "w," which my Latin teacher humorously pointed out makes Caesar's pronouncement seem less......manly.  :)

Matzoh ball soup department:  DS Betsy used to marvel at her Grandma's Matzoh ball soup and thought she had some super-secret recipe handed down through the ages.  It turned out it was, of course, the Manischewitz (sp?) mix.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2005, 07:51:38 AM »

Manischewitz mix is played only at Kosher Discos, no doubt.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2005, 08:00:08 AM »

Another hilarious Betsy's Grandma story:  Betsy was visiting her bubbe at the retirement home.  Now, Betsy's grandma lived to the grand old age of 98, so she was not in the best of health or able to do much.  So she turns to Betsy and says, "Betsy, can you help me brush my teeth?"  Betsy of course says "Yes," and goes into the bathroom to get the toothbrush and toothpaste, thinking that Grandma will open her mouth and Betsy will do the "dirty work."  She returns to find (yes, you've probably guessed it), Grandma proferring her dentures toward Betsy.  Portable teeth, as it were.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2005, 08:04:47 AM »

You know the feeling you get when you're about to head in to work, and you know you messed something up the day before, so you brace yourself because you just know you're gonna get pounced on the minute you walk in the door?

Vibes, please.....  :(

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2005, 08:11:24 AM »

Good thoughts for you, DR Ann.

How well I remember that "walking toward the guillotine" feeling when I knew I had an angry parent coming for a conference the next morning.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2005, 08:12:45 AM »

Time for me to head toward the shower.

WBBL.

Jason

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2005, 08:14:04 AM »

I'll happily jump on the French Onion bandwagon, though I really only get it for the crouton(s) and cheese. I'll eat the broth, but I rarely eat the actual onions.

I'm also a HUGE fan of cream-based soups - particularly cream of broccoli. Any variation of the corn chowder sort is up my alley, too.

Can gumbo be considered a soup? If so, count me in on that one, too!

My parents are arriving today with my aunt and uncle in tow. They get in this afternoon and leave Tuesday morning. Taking a page from DR Jose's Walking Tour of New York Handbook, I have created an itinerary that will make their heads spin. Dinner reservations have been made for the next five evenings (with Becco - my new favorite restaurant - as the piece de resistence), tickets have been purchased for three - count 'em, THREE! - shows, and my walking shoes are ready to go. I'm leaving the office at 3:00 today so I can get home and make my bed and vacuum one more time before my mother sees my apartment. She didn't get to see the place last time they were here, so I have to make a good impression...

DR Jose: Hope your knee feels better!! Take care...

DR Ben: I'm sorry I can't make THE BIRDS tonight. I'll be supping on seafood as the seagulls sup on Tippi Hedron. It's the end of the world!!

And to all you HHWers out there going to see CAPTAIN LOUIE tomorrow night - have fun! I saw the show when it was the York and I know someone in the cast. That's all I'll say for now - I'll let you form your own opinions before I share mine. I will be seeing JERSEY BOYS tomorrow night...pray for us in the hours of our need.

Jason

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2005, 08:18:15 AM »

DR Ann - my thoughts are with you. Be strong, girl! Be strong! :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2005, 08:26:06 AM »

Good thoughts for DR ANN.

And good hosting vibes for DRJASON!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2005, 08:35:23 AM »

I like a nice bisque.  I don't know what "bisque" is, really, but I like any soup with bisque in the title - Lobster Bisque, Tomato Bisque, Mushroom Bisque - did you know that the first "personal" license plate I got said, BISQUE?  Who can figure out why?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2005, 08:45:51 AM »

Michael Shayne asked me to tell you all that he's okay.  No electricity, but other than that, he's fine.  He's at work, but can't access the site from there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2005, 08:57:48 AM »

Why is everyone just sitting there picking at their belly-buttons?  Sitting there like so much fish.  Sitting there like soup in a can.

Danise

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2005, 09:03:21 AM »

'Morning all (It's 11:57)AM

Again, I'm so glad you all enjoyed the photos.  There are those and many, many, many more to come.  

One last plea for anything else you would like included.  I copy/pasted Jose's post with all the links into a word doc to include with the photos.  I think I may have missed something about the exact track so if someone could send that to me I offer many thanks!

Vibes to DR Ann.
 [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

I hate that feeling as well.  I also hate it when (for no reason at all)  I feel like I've done something wrong but I don't know what and I feel like I'm going to get punished.  Did that make sense?  Silly I know but sometimes.....

Michael Shayne asked me to tell you all that he's okay.  No electricity, but other than that, he's fine.  He's at work, but can't access the site from there.

Thank goodness!  I was really getting worried.   Sending vibes his way for quick electricity repair.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

If you guys and gals are gonna talk soup, let's see some recipes!  I love Onion soup but have never made it!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2005, 09:06:57 AM »

I have an 8 a.m. doctor's appointment, so I must rush me out the door.

Ciao-ders!

I hope it goes well.   Take care! :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2005, 09:15:26 AM »

No one can guess why my license plate said BISQUE?  Skammen.  And still people sit there like cars without gas.  Like marmalade without toast.  Like toast without a toaster.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2005, 09:16:53 AM »

Like a circle in a spiral like a wheel within a wheel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up