Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TITLE BOUT  (Read 28161 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE TITLE BOUT
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2003, 08:49:05 AM »

I doubt I'll be in chat tonight. The adventures of Sydney Bristow start back up tonight, and it must be seen in high definition.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2003, 09:28:35 AM »

Talk about a lull!!!

Jason

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2003, 09:29:20 AM »

I GOT A JOB!! I'm going to do the West Virginia Public Theatre gig, and the pay is actually pretty decent! I leave next Sunday morning and I'll be back on the 15th of December. Yay! And I didn't even audition for this one... :-P

Off to see TABOO and then a movie tonight, so I won't be in chat. Ciao!

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2003, 09:33:56 AM »

Congratulations, DR Jason! I know we're all delighted for you and look forward to hearing about it. We will also want to know your opinions of TABOO when you return.

Emily

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2003, 09:38:35 AM »

Good morning all!

I spent a delightful evening last night watching almost all of OKLAHOMA.  It appears I had forgotten about the show until about a half hour into it so came in during the "Kansas City" number.  

It was terribly enjoyable especially since I had never seen a production of the show (but I of course knew some of the music).  The dream ballet sequence kicked some serious bootie.  

Mark - do you become some sort of bookie around Oscar time?  You obviously have put much thought into the coming awards...

General Comment - am I the only person who adores the score to FINDING NEMO?  I think it is perfect for the movie, not overly sappy yet soaring in a way that makes sense given the "epic" nature of the story.

I will be in chat tonight and will be severely disappointed with all Hainesies and Kimlets who will not. :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2003, 09:39:34 AM »

The DR Jason Gets a Job Dance:

*dance dance dance applaud dance dance spin pat-on-back dance dance yippee*

:)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

td

• td
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2003, 09:54:59 AM »

[General Comment - am I the only person who adores the score to FINDING NEMO?  I think it is perfect for the movie, not overly sappy yet soaring in a way that makes sense given the "epic" nature of the story.

You are not alone, DR Emily (who cannot buy a computer at Walmart); I fell in love with Thomas Newman's score upon first hearing.  Later, I dl-ed the score only to replace it with a store-bought cd.  
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2003, 09:58:08 AM »

Talk about a lull!!!

Change the final letter of that and you've instructed us to discuss a DR.

Unbearably beautiful weather this weekend.  We brunched with friends at a delightfully retro place on the other side of the campus.  All the other restaurants had outdoor tables filled.  This in late November.

I couldn't devote a whole four hours to Oklahoma! but taped it to catch parts I missed.  The two men vying for Laurie's attention were very well acted.  The peddler had no sense of comic timing, and Laurie lacked something similar, which we might call dramatic timing.

But, the show is so wonderfully well-written, R & H making SO many bold choices, that it's just great to hear the script and score again.  I actually cried at a comedy song, All Or Nothing, seeing as how "no half-and-half romance will do" for me and DW Joy.

Chat seems possible if not probable.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2003, 09:59:36 AM »

Congratulations to Jason!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2003, 10:06:26 AM »

Everybody's saying, "I gotta run".  What is this run?  Here is the place to be on a lazy Sunday.  If everyone is running how can they stop and smell the posts?  And what is this, "I won't be in chat"?  Chat is the place to be on a lazy Sunday.  And what is this, "I got a JOB, bye"?  Bye is for Birdies not for Jasons.  Oh, good morning.  If there was a little dove outside, I'd say Good Morning, Miss Dove.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2003, 10:21:02 AM »

What is this lull?  We are close to crossing 8000 posts and I was actually hoping that we'd have done it already.  Of course, we're very far ahead of the game, well over an average of two hundred posts a day, so I'm not complaining, oh, no, I'm not complaining.

Emily

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2003, 10:30:17 AM »

Attention everyone, BK is NOT complaining ;)

Is anyone else having trouble listening to the Broadway Radio Show?  I started listening to the latest one on Friday and got as far as "Footloose" the OBC version when my 'puter crashed.  Now every time I go back to listen I get through the opening "Pick Myself Up" and then my system crashes.  This has happened every time.

Mark help!  Is it the show itself with problems or my diaboloically disastrous dell having yet more issues?

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2003, 10:30:29 AM »

Hi all --
Can't stay but a bit. Gotta run (sorry BK). Have a memorial service to go to.

Re: Oklahoma on TV. Had serious misgivings about it. It seemed FLAT. The sparse, surreal sets/lighting and costume color choices bothered me for some reason. The performances overall were (I'm sorry but no other word will do) FLAT! Susan Stroman's choreography was good but, I don't know, FLAT. Maybe it has to do with the British temperment -- or mine!

Oy.

I prefer the movie.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2003, 10:47:55 AM »

Hey everyone!  I for one will definitely be at the chat tonight, and we simply must have a big, full room full of partying H/Ks!

Ahhh...lazy afternoons.  Of course, I have homework later, but I may just relax and watch TV or read.  

Jason--Congrats on the new job!!!  That's terrific!! *refrains from making obligatory West Virginia joke* :P

Lulu--that pic was hilarious!  He really is looking more and more like a noseless Joan Crawford.

Swishy--I agree with you about Michael Jackson once being handsome.  He's quite good-looking in the Thriller video, and also in that other one with all the ghosts in the mansion with him dressed as some kind of Anne Rice character...I forget the name of that one.  Though at that time, he still was identifiably black...the skin was just starting to get whiter though.

GRRRR!!  I wanted so much to see Oklahoma last night (or at least to tape it...I was at the cast party) but neither local public broadcasting station aired it!  I have no idea when it will be on in the Metropolitan area.  I SO don't want to have to buy the DVD when taping it (except for the annoying fundraising intervals) is so much cheaper!

I did see the revival 2 years ago, with Patrick Wilson and not Hugh Jackman as Curly.  It was decent but rather lackluster, IMHO.

Danise

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2003, 11:03:13 AM »

Good afternoon all!  What a lovely day!  Not to hot nor to cold.  It's just right.  

The dogs and I took a nice loooong walk.  Everyone is now officially pooped out so I'll be close the computer for the rest of the day.  I'm thinking about cracking the seal on my Photoshop program.  

I hope I can post a photo or two using it.  I got some very cute shots of Bear on the couch this morning with the digital camera.

I have a favor to ask but we'll see if I can post a picture first so I can show you what I'm talking about first.

I want to watch Oklahoma! since everyone is talking about it.  It starts at 4 today so it will be over in plenty of time for chat--if there's still going to be one.

D

« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 11:03:44 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2003, 11:05:16 AM »

Sorry Dear BK, but I too must say "gotta run" for the day.  A full day of rehearsals awaits me, then a friend's recital this evening.  Hopefully I'll make it back from that in time for some chattin' action.  If everyone stays in the room past eight...

Emily - I also adore the FINDING NEMO score.  It's one I hope to pick up at some point, along with the Spirited Away soundtrack.  Such beautiful music ... maybe someday when I get money.  

Jason - Congratulations!  Does this mean you get to quit the job from hell?  I do hope so!

Have a good day everyone

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2003, 11:06:34 AM »

Ooh Maya, how long have you had the new pic and I've failed to notice??  You look beautiful!  Is it a senior picture one?

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2003, 11:10:16 AM »

Thank you so much, Ann!  It's not a senior pic....just one my mom took a year or two ago out in the woods behind the house.  I kind of wanted to get a pic up that didn't show me looking like Morticia Addams!

I really like your pic too!  When was it taken?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2003, 11:14:03 AM »

Maya - Thanks!  It's actually a pretty old pic, taken last June, by my mother, outside our house.  I keep meaning to get a more recent one up, but I have to find someone willing to take it.  It's just impossible to take a good picture of yourself! :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2003, 11:27:42 AM »

yes, DR Maya has a lovely new photograph!  ;D

For those who might be interested, my review of the GYPSY CD is now up at Epinions.com.  ;)

http://www.epinions.com/content_119564504708

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2003, 11:43:10 AM »

Thank you, Jrand!  I quite like yours as well  :o

As I admitted to the other day, I haven't seen the Roz Russell film version of Gypsy, but I enjoyed your review!  Very well-written (and great trivia)!

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2003, 11:47:13 AM »

Maya, I loved your Morticia pic, but the new one is beautiful. :)

Just dropped by to say I gotta run.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2003, 11:53:31 AM »

Is there a marathon scheduled today?

Thanks, Maya....you MUST see GYPSY!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2003, 12:06:33 PM »

Below is a photo from an alternate ending for Finding Nemo that they did not use on the DVD

OH!  MY!  GOSH!  ROTFLMAO!

This was totally unexpected and a great laugh!

Thanks, Michael
!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2003, 12:11:14 PM »

For Mr. Mark Bakalor

I have some questions about your Academy Award picks.

Have you or will you factor in the situation that there will be no screeners this year and that will effect the indies getting their films seen?

When an actor has two or more films (sean Penn for example) in contention for best actor honors will the major studio release get chosen over the indie or will the "duke it out" with the possiblility that he won't get the nomination?

Especially regarding Sean Penn, I'm wondering if you have included the "O'Reilly Factor" into your equations.  Just five months ago, O'Reilly was defaming Penn daily, and vociferously, and declaring Penn's career dead in the water and that no one in Hollywood would work with him.

Of course, O'Reilly may "occasionally" be given to hyperbole.....or he may be guilty of what Al Franken has said....of being a "pathological liar".

Tomovoz

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2003, 12:28:07 PM »

Once again many thanks to Mr Barkalot from one who tries to collect every nominated for Oscar song. I play last year's winner so often!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2003, 12:32:43 PM »

Once again many thanks to Mr Barkalot from one who tries to collect every nominated for Oscar song. I play last year's winner so often!

. . . whenever you do, do you lose yourself?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2003, 12:37:44 PM »

Well I'm back from work. Ugh. Hungry people in the morning are NOT nice. Well, some hungry people. I didn't sit down once from 9 am until 3 pm. It's "Miss, can I have more soda? Miss, I'd like a different soda, plus a cappucino please. I need napkins. Lot's of napkins. Can you clean up that spill under the table for me? I've been sitting here for TEN MINUTES and my 6-plate order STILL hasn't arrived. What's wrong with the service here?!? I forgot to tell you that I need a pizza to go. That can be ready in the next 5 minutes, right? WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S GOING TO TAKE TEN MINUTES?!?"

I am such a nice person. I don't raise my voice, get annoyed, or spit in their drinks. My respect level for food service employees has gone up 6 million percent.

What is this, a LULL? We can't have lulls going on here, no sir. We have spoiled BK with such large numbers that we can't ever go back. No, we must post until the cows come home. What is with those cows? Why are they NEVER home? You'd think they MIGHT come home, but no, they don't. But yes, we must post until the cows come home, or at least the chickens. (That was supposed to be a BK impression, but I have failed miserably. Oh well, I'm leaving it, it makes me laugh.)

Oops, I forgot. I gotta run, chores to do! Sorry BK :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2003, 12:37:48 PM »

Oklahoma was broadcast yesterday on Seattle's PBS but I have the Region 2 DVD so I don't care.  :)  Broadway's Lost Treasures is being shown tonight.  I'm pretty sure that I taped it the first time that it was on, but I can't find the tape (if I did tape it) so I'm taping it tonight just to make sure.

This afternoon, I'm going to my parents' house for dinner so I won't be at chat.  A friend of my mom's will be there and when we all get together, we play board games till real late.  Also I want to make a cheesecake for the dessert, so I have to get vanilla.  A plain cheesecake (the only kind that most of my family likes) needs vanilla, which I don't have, so I must shower then go shopping.  Have a good chat!

And Congratulations to Jason!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2003, 12:37:50 PM »

DR td: I can't even remember the title!
I tried to watch "Jacques Brel is Alive and ..." last night. I shall bury that one along with Kurt Weill. I just don't get it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 12:39:06 PM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up