Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TITLE BOUT  (Read 28160 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE TITLE BOUT
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2003, 12:46:57 PM »

DR Maya: I like the new pic, but I also loved the old one (it's Mona Lisa not Morticia, btw) :)

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2003, 12:52:29 PM »

Wow, we are a slow bunch today! Just came back from shopping. I need to go and watch the end of yesterday's Trading Spaces. The british shows are interesting, but not as good, IMO. But at least Laurie is back!

Tonight I will be at my brother-in-law's birthday dinner. It's at a Greek restaurant. And since I love greek food, it should be good. I'm just trying to remember if they serve tzatziki at their salad bar. For some reason I don't think they do (although lots of feta and the pink dip).

Tomovoz

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2003, 12:54:16 PM »

Was it a gruelling day at the orphanage yesterday TCB?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2003, 12:54:40 PM »

I am also excited that Alias is on again.  But I will have to tape it and watch it later.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2003, 12:56:32 PM »

Why am I the only one posting? :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2003, 12:58:01 PM »

No Alias spoilers because some of us haven't even seen season two yet.

We're on our way to a new low.  Let's not let that happen.  The good news is we'll definitely pass 8,000 within a few short hours.

Just got back from the local farmer's market.  I never go there, but it's fun to walk up and down looking at the various fruits and vegetables, and I don't mean the people.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2003, 01:11:45 PM »

Sarah brings up an excellent point.  What IS it with those fershlugenah cows?  Why are they never home?  Are they unhappy at home?  Do their spouses (or would that be cow-ses) not understand them?  Do they possess a very poor sense of direction?  Are they party animals (bovine) who stay out drinking and carousing (ca-cow-sing) until all hours of the day and night?  Just what is their collective problem???

Just wanted to mention that I simply must dash.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2003, 01:16:54 PM »

I understand, TFO: If you don't like one, you're unlikely to like the other.

Brel, to me, always sounds like watered-down European Weill.  Now, I think Weill is quite excellent.  You have to have an appreciation for the heightened drama of it all, but it's powerful stuff, often.  And Brel, who always seems to be aspiring to the same thing, is pretty good every now and then, too.

I shall now try to post a picture...
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2003, 01:23:41 PM »

Very nice picture of the two of you DR Noel.

Well, I spent my afternoon watching PHONE BOOTH. Very intense and well done little thriller, and it ran the right length too, less than 90 minutes. My subwoofer was really bumping along with some of that boombox bass pumping through the movie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2003, 01:33:05 PM »

DR td: I can't even remember the title!
I tried to watch "Jacques Brel is Alive and ..." last night. I shall bury that one along with Kurt Weill. I just don't get it.

Um, DR Tom, the title was LOSE YOURSELF.  .  .   ;D

BREL, the film, predates MTV by several years. . .
It also uses a Beckettian atmosphere to good advantage. . .
Plotless, but, certainly not pointless.

DR Noel, I have yet to notice anything Weillian about Brel, honest.  I always thought that Brel's songs were on a somewhat higher plane than the music of Rod McKuen - - who incidentally horribly translated some Brel lyrics:

"We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun. . ."

"If you go away, on this summer day, then you might as well take the sun away. . ."
PUH-LEEEZE!

Curiousity is getting the better of me; so I ask, could you give me examples of the Weill that you hear in Brel. . .

love the new pictures, people!

Obviously, Noel had joy, he had fun, he had seasons in the sun. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2003, 01:44:03 PM »

Lovely photograph of DRs Joy and Noel!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2003, 01:44:29 PM »

JACQUES BREL was a ridiculous choice for the American Film Theater all those years ago (LOST IN THE STARS was more like it if they were going to do a musical, but it too was a dismal failure).  It's one thing to try to be arty, but aside from their subscribers, I wonder who on earth Eli Landau thought the market for that movie would be. No wonder the AFT died after its second season.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2003, 01:46:53 PM »

We're on our way to a new low because of all the running and dashing.  On the plus side, we just went over 8,000 posts.  On the minus side, we're on our way to a new low unless we can get some akshun goin' on.  I think we'd better, because I will be most unpleasant in chat if we continue having such lullifying lulls.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2003, 01:53:50 PM »

JRand, can you make changes to your review at epinions? Lisa Kirk was the original Lois in KISS ME KATE, not the original Kate. That was Patricia Morison.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2003, 02:05:28 PM »

Has the Annie Lennox song been released yet?
Well, off to the meeting to see what changes lie in store for the restaurant as of January 1.

Check out this site for the track.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2003, 02:08:45 PM »

You know a musical of the period that I wish the AFT had filmed instead of JACQUES BREL? COMPANY! It would have been closed by that time, and it would have been arty enough to have fit in well with plays like THE HOMECOMING and THE MAIDS in this series.

[sigh] An opportunity lost.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2003, 02:09:31 PM »

I haven't got anything to saaaaaay, BK. My room is SO messy, it's awful. I have until my parents get home to get it done, or I'll get in trouble, and they're not in the best of moods, so I'm not sure if I want to risk it. I also have some Biology worksheets to finish, and a History timeline to make. I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open. Eh.

*Cue tragic violin music*

I'm in such a whiny mood today. I can't stand whiny people. There, you see, I'm whining about being whiny! No more of this. From now on I shall NOT whine.

If I'm not asleep by 9, I'll be at chat. No promises.
...Walk in the sunshine...

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2003, 02:26:46 PM »

Have you or will you factor in the situation that there will be no screeners this year and that will effect the indies getting their films seen?

It is NOT true that there will be no screeners this year. In other words, there are ALREADY official and legal screeners being sent out for this season. Screeners are still allowed, only this year only for Academy members.

When an actor has two or more films (sean Penn for example) in contention for best actor honors will the major studio release get chosen over the indie or will the "duke it out" with the possiblility that he won't get the nomination?

They'll likely duke it out. It's a fairly common practice (see Leonardo with Catch Me If You Can and Gangs of New York, last year). Mystic River is clear Oscar bait and Penn's best shot.

Also when you have three strong lead performances as in Mystic River will the studio desiginate Lead and Supporting like they did with the ladies in Chicago?

It is my understanding that Sean Penn will be the only Lead Actor subkission for Mystic River. Look for Tim Robbings in the Supporting with Kevin Bacon as a darkhorse.

Johnny Depp's performance in Pirates was wonderful in my opinion but because it is a comedic performance is this why he is further down in the list?

It's an over the top comedic performance in the antithesis of an Oscar-bait (outside of technical nods) title. The fact that he got such great response, and is Johny Depp, shoots him as high as he is in the charts though I don't see him gaining much more. His time will be next year (was this year until it was moved to 2004) with  J.M. Barrie's Neverland.

In the documentary category what about Lost In La Mancha or was it released last year?

It was eligible this year but didn't make the most recent cut down to 11 titles. I was very much looking forward to seeing the film, after seeing it I was very much dissapointed in what I saw.

How does Looney Tunes: Back In Action qualify for the animate category when it is mixed with live action?

To qualify, submitted films must be at least 70 minutes long, contain a minimum of 75 percent animation and employ one of three styles: traditional cel drawing, stop-motion or computer-generated images.

I thought that I read somewhere that Warner Brothers was only going to promote one of the Matrix sequels for Oscar contention.

It is assumed that they will only submit Revolutions though until this is confirmed both remain on many of my charts.

Do you also factor in when a film was release in the year as part of your equations?

Sure. Watch Seabiscuit fall. :)

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2003, 02:28:59 PM »

Updating my question regarding Looney Tunes. Went to the Academy Award official site and yes it is eligable, but Sinbad: The Legend of the Seven Seas, Lil Pimp and Cowboy Bebop are not in contention. Jester Till and Tokyo Godfather are. I am sure this will change your listings

My charts are most often up to date. The updates on the site, however, lag behind.

The current Animated race looks like:

1   Finding Nemo
2   Brother Bear
3   The Triplets of Belleville

4   Milenium Actress
5   Rugrats Go Wild
6   Looney Tunes: Back In Action

7   Piglet's Big Movie
8   The Jungle Book 2
9   Tokyo Godfathers

10   Jester Till
11   Pokemon Heroes

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2003, 02:35:58 PM »

Now why in the world wouldn't SINBAD's studio place it in contention. True, the movie was a notorious bomb, but from everything I've read, it was not the quality of the animation or performances that made it die at the box-office. I would think an Oscar nomination would be some solace from the drubbing of low box-office numbers.

Ann Daly, head of feature animation at DreamWorks, told Animation Magazine Online, "In light of the fact that Sinbad was clearly a commercial disappointment, although we stand behind the extraordinary artistic achievement of the creative team behind the movie, we decided that it was the best decision not to enter it in the Oscar race".

It would have been embarrasing to have submitted the major studio film with the good chance that it wouldn't be nominated. Had there been five slots instead of three this year they likely would have at least submitted.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2003, 02:40:08 PM »

Especially regarding Sean Penn, I'm wondering if you have included the "O'Reilly Factor" into your equations.  Just five months ago, O'Reilly was defaming Penn daily, and vociferously, and declaring Penn's career dead in the water and that no one in Hollywood would work with him.

Of course, O'Reilly may "occasionally" be given to hyperbole.....or he may be guilty of what Al Franken has said....of being a "pathological liar".

The world is a slightly better place in that Bill's opinion has little impact on the Oscar machine. He WILL be nominated this year. He will likely be nominated next year for his portrayal of Byck in The Assassination of Richard Nixon. O'Reilly will love that one.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2003, 03:04:21 PM »

Noel and Joy: Love the picture!  And the title of it. ;)

I have returned from hither but must presently hie myself thither.

------------------------------->  thithering
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2003, 03:09:27 PM »

Hey everyone!  Spent a good hour cleaning up my room...my mom would simply not leave me alone about it.  It's my natural inclination to be something of a slob, but I suppose I have to be neat sometimes!

Thank you everyone for the new pic compliments!  Noel and Joy, that portrait is loverly!

I actually love both Weill and Brel, and never really thought that Brel sounds like watered down Weill, although I guess there are similarities.  I love the poppy, layered drama of a good Brel song (Les Ports d'Amsterdam is my fave), and the sharpness of a Weill one.  I REALLY need to buy JBIAAWALIP (is that the longest show acronym ever???)

I think it will be a shame if Johnny Depp doesn't get nominated for his Captain Jack Sparrow, but I can understand the Academy's thinking if he doesn't.  Maybe I'm biased cause he's hot (okay, I AM biased) but he's one of the greatest actors around.

Jed

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2003, 03:10:27 PM »

Unlike many of my HHW brethren, I have been doing my weekend duty of laziness.  And being a big football fan, that has involved watching 3 football games (a HS game in person, along with a college game and pro game on TV).  Unfortunately, all 3 of my teams lost, but such is the life of a sports fan.

Ann - If you wanted a new pic, you should have mentioned it last weekend!  I could have gotten a new one of you when we got a new one of me!

Maya - I found nothing wrong with your other pic (except a bit of blurriness, of course... but that just helped the mysterious woman quality ;) ), but this one is quite lovely as well.

Love the Noel & Joy pic, too!

Chat - I shall try to pop in at the beginning, but will only be able to stick around for 10-15 minutes before I'll have to be off to rehearsal.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2003, 03:15:28 PM »

Ah, Jed, I see how it is...I am no longer mysterious.  Alas!  Ah, well, what can a girl do??   :P

Jed

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2003, 03:19:49 PM »

Ah well, mystery isn't everything.  You still have the dark hair, so that works for me.  (No offense to any of our resident blondes, I've just always had a thing for dark hair) :)

(...reddish hair works for me, too... Andrea...)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 03:21:14 PM by Jed »

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2003, 03:26:00 PM »

I'm not having much trouble finding the songs that you have listed, Mr. Mark. :)  As a matter of fact, I didn't even have to look very hard for Howard Shore's score for THE RETURN OF THE KING. . .which is officially available this coming Tuesday.
At least with all this pre-Oscar talk, our lulls aren't exactly lifeless.

DR Jed - - my hair is reddish blonde. . . . ::)

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2003, 03:26:51 PM »

*...Hums "Can You Feel The Love Tonight"...*

Jed, you had better be careful. Mark might go into a jealous rage, and who knows what he can do with his mad computer skillz.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Emily

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2003, 03:29:51 PM »

it's chat night and we are therefore all feeling flirty it appears...  :-*
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 03:30:07 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jed

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2003, 03:34:09 PM »

it's chat night and we are therefore all feeling flirty it appears...  :-*

I've been taking lessons from Maya.  I would have signed up for your class for tarts, but didn't feel up to that level of corruption quite yet.  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up