Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CHORES  (Read 22171 times)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
Re:CHORES
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2005, 06:50:21 AM »

On the TOD: I recently attended my 10 year high school reunion.  I had some mixed feelings about going- I wasn't the most popular gal in high school and I've actually maintained strong friendships with most of the folks I was friends with back then.

But, I was curious about how everyone looked.  And since I looked fabulous, and had moved out to NYC, and had a good job, and was in grad school.  I felt pretty "safe" going.

I had a good time and drank way too much, but it was good to see how people had turned out.  I won an award for fartherst travelled (which I took to mean not only physical distance but my emotional journey as well :))  My only wish was that I had "mingled" more.  The set up was pretty crappy- the dance floor was in a separate room than the bar so you had to choose between dancing or chatting by the bar.  I chose dancing for the most part so I missed talking to a lot of people.  Overall it was an odd event, but I'm glad I went.

td

• td
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2005, 06:57:38 AM »

DRJose, I would love to be at Carnegie Hall with you on Wednesday, but I'm in Chicago!

. . .and are you playing Roxie Hart or Velma Kelly?   :o
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

FJL

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2005, 06:59:47 AM »

Hooray!  My parents' power is back on in Miami Beach.

Just wanted to share that.  My mother's been nursing a shoulder fracture and the lack of power and hot water had made the situation worse.  

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2005, 07:01:24 AM »

Here is a high school reunion photo, I'm not sure if it demonstrates how innebriated my friend Johnny and I were at that point...

FJL

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2005, 07:01:54 AM »

For a simple trivia question, this one is pulling me lots of diffreent ways.  I keep getting three of the four elements, but then the fourth doesn't pan out.  Oh well, I asked for something to occupy my day until the evening, and looks like I may have gotten that.  :)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2005, 07:02:29 AM »

Sorry for the huge photo, I have no idea how to make things smaller

Jason

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2005, 07:06:29 AM »

OK. I've not had a chance to read the notes or the posts, but I have to dash off to meet my parents in about 10 minutes. I did finish last night's posts, though and - WHOA! Jose!! First day of rehearsal with Sir Elton himself!! Smell you, Nancy Drew! That's great - I'm very excited for you. :)

How much are the Nanci Griffith tix? I might be interested...

And now I'm off to haul the parental units and varous and sundried aunts & uncles around town. I'll post some pics when I get the chance (I took 72 pictures yesterday alone).

FJL

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2005, 07:09:01 AM »

Our high school wasn't going to organize a 10th reunion, so I joined with a few friends to organize one.  I was so busy making sure everything was in order and sort of playing host that I didn't get to find out that much about the people I hadn't seen for ten years, but I had a real sense of accomplishment for having thrown the party.  

I didn't get to the 25-year reunion for reasons that I don't remember.  But I heard lots about it and saw lots of pictures, so it was almost like I was there.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2005, 07:37:15 AM »

Yesterday turned out better than I thought it would.

Our mission was to get the older grandlad, Alex, to eat a proper meal for dinner.  "It's not my fault I like junk food," he declared.  "God made me that way."  Sheesh, at eight years he's already making excuses and blaming others for his own faults, just like his mother.

Alex's problems with cholesterol aren't as bad as Mommy had let us believe.  He's a borderline case, barely in trouble, but Mommy is bullish when it comes to red flags.  So, der Brucer decided the best way around the problem would be for us to get him lots of fruit (which he would help pick), and a couple of steaks (cutting out the extra fatty parts) and mashed taters with reduced fat sour cream, and some baked beans.  Oh, and biscuits.  William, the five-year, will eat almost anything, of course.

There would be no mac and cheese, now on the verbotten list.  No grilled cheese sandwich.  No hot dog.  The foods he thinks are the only foods he likes are the ones he now won't be allowed to subsist on.

Der B involved both lads in making the fruit salad, cutting the fruit into reasonable chunks (with regular table knives, not sharp ones).  They liked that.  Mommy won't let them join in preparing dinner.

Then, as the lads and der Grampa settled in to watch The Music Man, I got the rest of dinner going.  I chopped up a small onion, which I cooked slowly in a pan before adding a squirt of mustard and the beans.  I got the instant mashed potatoes made.  I got the corn steamed.  I baked the biscuits.   And I sizzled the steaks.

Everyone to the table.  (The salad had been served in front of the TV, acceptable for a first course I guess.)  Alex spotted the onions in the beans, and demanded to know what "that stuff" was.  We explained that it was onions, and that I'd made them exactly the same was as I had for his birthday.  He was suspicious, and was about to refuse to eat them, but changed his mind when I growled at him.  I don't growl often, but the lads know it's a signal to pay attention.

They both ate well.  I had to cut William's piece of steak for him, which he ate and then asked for more.  Alex enjoyed the potatoes, and the corn, and some of his steak, and even the beans.  The biscuits went over well.  And then, when it was time for the strawberry dessert, he was willing to wait patiently while William finished his plate of food...but we didn't make Alex wait longer, because William wanted seconds on the taters.  There are limits, after all.

After dinner, they both dashed back to watch the rest of The Music Man.  I'm not sure if Alex liked it all (there's all that mushy stuff with Shirley Jones), but he stuck it out and enjoyed a lot of the film.  William was already asleep when Mommy and Daddy returned from their date nite (spent shopping for a four-wheeler for Daddy).  And all was well.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2005, 07:41:45 AM »

Oh, Jose, if you get a chance please tell Sir Elton that Alex absolutely loves the Caribou album, which we've been playing lately in the car.  He particularly loves "The Bitch is Back."  But he's agreed not to tell his mother about the song.   :o

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2005, 07:42:26 AM »

Good morning!

Broken record time. Beautiful, cloudless sky, cool crisp temperatures, perfect fall day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2005, 07:46:21 AM »

Forgot to mention last night that I did watch Thursday night's NIGHT STALKER, and I'm sorry to say that I'm about ready to give up on this show. Forget that the surprise "monster" was clear to the viewer less than halfway through the episode (though everyone else was stumbling around pointing accusing fingers at the wrong person). But the most irritating aspect of the show is this partnership of Kolchak with a female reporter whose only purpose seems to be to pour cold water on his theories until EVERY SINGLE WEEK she's made to see that she was wrong and he was right.

I really don't mind the monster of the week syndrome, but the stupid partner of the week syndrome has pretty much driven me away. I think I'm done with it.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2005, 07:48:19 AM »

I have never attended a high school reunion and have no desire to. For that matter, I've never attended a college reunion either. The friends I had from those days I still keep in touch with, but reliving memories with a large number of people who I wasn't close to then just isn't very appealing to me.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2005, 07:49:10 AM »

Hope DR Rodzinski's cold lessens soon. I know how miuserable that can make one feel.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2005, 07:50:29 AM »

This is actually the first morning this week that I haven't awakened with a queasy stomach and feeling rather blah. I've been thinking all week that I was on the verge of catching something, but either I fought it off or it was a mild bug that didn't do me any serious damage.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2005, 07:52:06 AM »

Trying to decide if I even want to waste time with CATWOMAN starring Halle Berry. It's premiering on HBO tonight, and I know it got dreadful reviews. Is it bad enough to be entertaining (VALLEY OF THE DOLLS bad) or is it just a miserable experience to sit through.

Has anyone here rented it or did anyone see it in the theater?

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2005, 07:53:20 AM »

Here's some upcoming classic releases from Warners coming up early next year:

Captains Courageous, The Champ (1931), Cimarron (1931), a 2-disc Gone with the Wind: Special Edition, The Good Earth, Johnny Belinda, Kitty Foyle, Love, Ludlow, Lust for Life, Murder in the Hamptons, and a number of double-feature releases including Blood Alley/Sea Chase, Collateral Damage/Eraser, Flipper/Flipper's New Adventure.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2005, 07:53:47 AM »

Good Morning!

...Once again...

And I'm still up and awake and functional!  -Well, at least I think I'm functional...  Well, I only hit three or four light poles driving to and from the post office... Oh, and maybe one or two really slow pedestrians... But...

NOT!

;D

In any case...  Back from running errands... And now I think I'm gonna go take a nap.  *Thankfully, due to the wonders of the fax machine and e-mail, a few of my errands were able to be consolidated.  Whew!

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2005, 07:54:16 AM »

I also read that the second Astaire-Rogers boxed set (which would be the remainder of their films together not already released) will come out in August 2006.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2005, 07:55:55 AM »

On the other hand upcoming releases of THE NUN'S STORY and THE SHOES OF THE FISHMAN have been pulled (no reason given).

Drat! I'll have to make do with my NUN'S STORY laserdisc now for the foreseeable future! :(

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2005, 07:58:51 AM »

On the other hand, Fox has placed PINKY back on their release schedule for January after having had it there last year and then pulled it.

Also upcoming is another Shirley Temple three pack with REBECCA OF SUNNYBROOK FARM, BABY TAKE A BOW, and DIMPLES included.

Of course, DIMPLES was one of the first Temple releases.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 08:00:26 AM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2005, 07:59:48 AM »

OK. I've not had a chance to read the notes or the posts, but I have to dash off to meet my parents in about 10 minutes. I did finish last night's posts, though and - WHOA! Jose!! First day of rehearsal with Sir Elton himself!! Smell you, Nancy Drew! That's great - I'm very excited for you. :)

How much are the Nanci Griffith tix? I might be interested...

And now I'm off to haul the parental units and varous and sundried aunts & uncles around town. I'll post some pics when I get the chance (I took 72 pictures yesterday alone).

Well, after getting a bit more info from the conductor this morning - we were both sort of rushed late night when we had our initial conversation - I'm not exactly sure whether or not I'll be meeting Sir Elton next week.  There's a good possibility, but nothing definite.  -However, I did find out that I am not playing for the presentation on Tuesday night - WHEW!  That prospect was really freaking me out.  However, I am invited to attend said presentation.  And, I'm still very excited!  Ah, Hugh Panaro and Carolee Carmello in the same room with me!  Musical theatre heaven!

:)

As for Nanci Griffith, DR Rodzinski is going to check to see if he anything available at the office.  Otherwise, I'm gonna check online to see what the prices are.  -However, I do have to say, that I feel like splurging/celebrating, so...  We'll see... ;)

*I really do think you'd LOVE her in concert (if you haven't seen her before), and I know you'd really love her opening act, Elizabeth Cook, due to your affection for Ms. Parton.  Kindred spirits.  And I believe The Crickets will be along for the festivities too.

Have another good day with your relatival units.  Hope you have comfortable shoes!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »

Trying to decide if I even want to waste time with CATWOMAN starring Halle Berry. It's premiering on HBO tonight, and I know it got dreadful reviews. Is it bad enough to be entertaining (VALLEY OF THE DOLLS bad) or is it just a miserable experience to sit through.

Has anyone here rented it or did anyone see it in the theater?

DR MattH - I'd suggest checking to see what unwatched DVDs you have and/or if anything is left unwatched on your DVR.  "Catwoman" is not even "A Chorus Line" bad - it's worse... or would that be "better"?

:-\

No need to waste your time on mediocrity.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2005, 08:03:48 AM »

TOD

I've told this story before.

I insisted that der Brucer come with me to my 20th HS reunion.  He, in turn, insisted that I not tell everyone that I'm gay.  He was still unsure of being out of the closet at the time.  So, with this shackle place on me, we drove up the hill to the Universal City Hilton for an interesting night.

We were seated at a table with a bunch I'd worked with on the school paper.  One, Louann, found this older gent sitting next to me intrigueing.  "Who are you with?" she kept asking der B.  "I'm with him," he repeatedly pointed to me.  "No, really, who are you with?"

After over an hour, someone else took Louann aside and hissed "Louann, they're gay."  Louann was apologetic, of course, for having missed the obvious.

But der B learned his lesson that night.  What he thought was obvious, and didn't need saying, did need to be said at times.  And he later apologized to me, for having put the ban on the word and identification.

It was after that, of course, that he started taking me to all sorts of events, making it very clear to everyone that I was his partner.  And he's lived happily ever after.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2005, 08:06:55 AM »

...And back to my high school reunion for a bit...

From the various e-mails and postcards I've received over the years, I'm guessing a lot of people in my class don't want to go back "there".  -And/or they've just moved to far away to make a reunion "practical" - lots of diplomatic and congressional kids at my school.

I remember the initial mailing for my 10 year reunion.  They originally planned to have it in the same ballroom that my Senior Prom was held in (the Senior Prom I did not go to either).  Well, after a lack of response and interest, it was announced that we would meet at a bar that one of the alumni owned.  Then it went to the school cafeteria.  Then finally to the school's busport for a cookout and mixer.  Hmm...

I've been getting feelers already for my 20 year reunion next year.  So far, the planning committee seems to be starting out small this time, and depending upon the number of R.S.V.P.s then they will adjust the meeting space accordingly.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »

Read a long interview with the producers behind the upcoming KING KONG DVD set. Sounds like they've moved heaven and earth to make this the best KING KONG ever.

I have the Criterion laserdisc of KING KONG. Admittedly never one of my favorite films, I can recognize that it's a classic and highly sought after by fans.

I guess it's too much to hope that the running commentary from the Criterion disc by the late Ron Haver would be leased from them for this release. Just like with SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, he has very informative and entertaining things to say about the movie, and it's a shame these scholarly but very accessible commentaries are lost to time.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2005, 08:08:27 AM »

DR MattH - I'd suggest checking to see what unwatched DVDs you have and/or if anything is left unwatched on your DVR.  "Catwoman" is not even "A Chorus Line" bad - it's worse... or would that be "better"?

:-\

No need to waste your time on mediocrity.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to give up a campy good time if there was one to be had. Yep, there are plenty of better things here for me to watch.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2005, 08:10:24 AM »

Wowee DR TPunk! Good photo! I told y'all she was a cutie and I think that photo is a good example of the zaftig/buxom discussion from yesterday! LOL!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2005, 08:10:33 AM »

Right now, I've got the first disc from the Elton John Dream Ticket DVD playing in the background.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2005, 08:10:58 AM »

I hope DR MBarnum will pay particular attention to the FLIPPER two-pack DVD that will be released early next year. I'm assuming Brian Kelly was in those films.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up