Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE SINGULAR SENSATION  (Read 26599 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ONE SINGULAR SENSATION
« on: November 09, 2005, 12:06:31 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're ready to dance the Lambada (The Forbidden Dance, you're ready to celebrate, celebrate, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - after five years, they're finally on their way, although they are formally protesting the ham chunks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 12:14:45 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HOLD YOUR HATS AND HALLELUJAH!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 12:10:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: FANTABULOUS!

Tomovoz

Re:ONE SINGULAR SENSATION
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 12:25:57 AM »

Congratulations.
I came to HHW at about the same timeas DR RLP I think. Was it the beginning of February?

I followed BK from "The Real A" to some other site and then, without any requested help from that site, tracked down BK's new site with the help of Mark "Barkalot".
Memories:  I remember the first post from DR François!
(I wonder if anyone else would remember why!).

I have had such personal support in troubled times from people who are my friends - even though I have yet to meet them. The support given to OzDerek was a gift that is beyond value.

I have still kept contact with people who were once on the old site and have not been seen here at all. And I am still in contact with friends I have made on this site - even though they have chosen for various reasons, to move on.

BK through HHW has given many of us the gift of friendship. A network has grown way beyond the Board itself.  A few "oldies" may remember DR Allan Wood from the UK.. After all this time, I still communicate with Allan every week. We met here but have met in London.

Fond memories of meeting DR François and of the visit to OZ of DR Jose.

HHW has opened a new world of international friendship; a world where we indeed have felt comfortable sharing laughter and tears.

It would be interesting to know the average number of emails and PMs generated by this site each day!!!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 02:14:52 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 12:59:05 AM »

We have lost some dear dear readers - Derek, Dennis Clancy, and a few others, I think.  I'd like to think that wherever they're resting that they know they all are recipients of continued excellent vibes and xylophones.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 03:49:07 AM »

From Matt H.
Well, I only got a bit more than six hour of sleep last night, so I'm going to turn it a bit earlier tonight.

At this point the best I can hope for is 2½ hours of sleep tonight/morning.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 03:50:41 AM »

Cillaliz, love the sock story.  

Continued good ear vibes to Ann.

I’m off to try and get those 2½ hours of sleep.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 04:15:24 AM »

Good morning, all!  Yesterday we finished the Prologue (all 15 minutes worth!) to BABES IN TOYLAND, and I look forward to whatever number Mr Murray has waiting for us today.  I had meant to tell you all about my exciting find on eBay two weeks ago:  a 1903 program from the original Broadway production at the long-gone Majestic Theatre at 59th Street.  Because of the cheap paper used in the program, all the original ones in the NYPL Theatre Collection have crumbled, and I have seen only one at the Museum of the City of New York.  In four years of searching, I've never seen an original Broadway program for sale on eBay, although I have managed to find two from the Chicago Grand Opera House where the show began.  Well, two weeks ago, two original programs turned up!  I won one for the week of Jan 18, 1903, and I am ecstatic.

I found HHW because of Liz Callaway.  The last recording Dear Friend BK had asked me to do was Brent Barrett's Alan Jay Lerner album, and I turned him down:  I had just come from a tense recording with the same arranger and I did not want to work with him at that time.  BK went his way along with Haines and I went mine: in April 2001, I got heavily involved with the Packard Humanities Foundation musical theatre project, Jerome Kern, and Victor Herbert and spent a lot of the year in London.  I had no idea of what was going on in Sept 2001 with my friend BK:  I was too busy after 9/11 trying to get back to New York from London.  

I don't think I heard of BK's situation until early 2002, when I was informed of it by one of the party's responsible for the situation:  I needed to purchase some promotional CDs to take with me on a job with the New York State Theatre Institute and I had to contact someone at the recording office to make the purchase.  I was told of reprehensible behavior and nefarious deeds.  It was the phone equivalent of reading a POLICE GAZETTE.  It didn't sound like the BK I knew, but I was hearing about him by someone I had known for about 20 years.  I had worked with the big embezzler John Jerome, so what did I know about my employers' private lives?

In Oct 2001, I was given a used Mac and I learned to do two things on a computer: email and eBay.  When I used Google, it was to search for info on shows and personnel on the musical theatre project.  I never Googled "Bruce Kimmel," which is too bad because I might have found HHW two years earlier.  In August 2003, Liz Callaway had a concert, she'd contacted Bruce about some charts, and she needed my help in putting things together.  I asked her how Bruce was doing, she told me what she had heard, as did I, and she mentioned that Bruce had a website, which I checked out after our visit.  I looked at HHW, and there was a "contact Bruce" link so I sent him an email.  Bruce's reply also mentioned a possible interview for HHW, and I said yes.  I went off to the Nov 2003 Chicago Humanities Festival and forgot about it.  Then, in December, I got a series of interview questions to answer and a few weeks later I was a feature on HHW!

I never, ever, meant to become an HHW member:  out of nothing but unadulterated vanity, I started lurking to see what folk thought of my interview.  After lurking for a few weeks, I decided I liked the people who were posting regularly, and in February or March 2004 elmore3003 became a member.   It was the smartest thing I did in 2003.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, HHW!!!
[/move]
[/size]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 04:29:20 AM »

Someone (Danthe Man?) asked about the new Sondheim book:  in the first few chapters I'm learning things and finding holes in the author's research.  The author may have studied the complete works of Sondheim but sometimes he cannot put 2 and 2 together about other things: he mentions CARMEN being one of the few operas Steve likes, but he doesn't make any connection between CARMEN and CARMEN JONES, Hammerstein's adaptation, although we get lots about Hammerstein's influence.  I wonder how much of Steve's Kern appreciation stems from Hammerstein.

He mentions two meetings with Steve and Cole Porter, but because he doesn't know Porter well enough, he misses one important connection between Steve and Porter:  Maurice Ravel.

I also wonder if he ever heard a complete performance tape of the original cast of FOLLIES:  he mentions the cutting of the contrapuntal section of AH, PARIS!, BROADWAY BABY and RAIN ON THE ROOF but the contrapuntal ending is in the original production and the published score!

On the other hand, the musical analyses are interesting.

Matthew Modine's book looks quite strange but interesting.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 04:39:20 AM »

So much to write about and so little time.

First, before I forget

Jose, please ask Christopher Bloch if he's from Minnesota? If he is, I seriously doubt that he will remember me but we worked together a few times at various community theatres in the Twin Cities area, most memorably in an awful new musical called "The Garfield Nude" It was a takeoff on film noir and detective movies. I played a Peter Lorre kind of character along with a Sidney Greenstreet partner. Chris played the romantic lead detective. I can't remember the character's name. That was the show where I fell halfway down a circular metal staircase as I made an entrance. We also did a production of Mr. Roberts way, way, way back in 1974. OMG (oh, my God in internet lingo) that was 30 years ago!!!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 04:46:04 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 04:44:54 AM »

I am named after my father who was named after his grandfather and father. My full name is Benjamin Thomas McLaughlin (that was my father's name also) My great grandfather was named Benjamin Roberts (my grandmother's father) and my grandfather's name was Thomas McLaughlin. My father became Benjamin Thomas McLaughlin. My father, like George's father, DID NOT want to call me Junior. He also made a similar comment about too many 40 and 50-year old men being called Junior. He wanted to name me me BTM the Second which is technically wrong in the naming business. You're the Second if you're named after a grandparent or someone other than your father.

When I was getting into the business (acting that is) I knew that if someone else in one of the unions already had your name you had to change it so I spent some time trying to come up with different names in case I needed to make a change. I considered Ben Roberts, Tom Benjamin and Ben Thomas. Luckily, I didn't need to change my name and I'm very happy with it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 06:58:49 AM by Ben »

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 04:45:54 AM »

To our very own dear BK and all our very own dear readers.

Congratulations on The 5th Anniversary of haineshisway.com!!!

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 04:46:26 AM »

Hisaka! Welcome back and thanks for the beautiful rose picture.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 04:48:25 AM »

My new avatar, which has been up for a couple of months, is from a lunch with DRs Larry, Danise (where is that girl???) and Michael Shayne at the Comfort Diner on 23rd Street near Fifth Avenue (we were sitting in back of B.D. Wong who was having lunch with his parents). I put it up because it's a decent picture of me and the old avatar, which had Anthony and me in front of the pool table at his parent's home on Long Island was so small that it was difficult to see.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 05:02:13 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 05:01:35 AM »

I'm here all by myself so I'll frenzy a bit since I haven't posted much lately. I'm finishing up some projects so that my desk will be clean when I walk out of here on Wednesday, November 23rd, not to return until January 3rd, 2006 (our office is closed on Monday, January 2, 2006).

I found HHW (I've told this story before) because I love radio. I've got a fairly relaxed work situation and am able to listen to radio or music during my workday. I was looking for Internet radio shows that featured show music and I came across Donald's old show at the site that is not to be named. There were many archived shows and I listened to them all. Donald is a real treat (I'm listening to him now) and I love his radio show. When I finished all the old shows (not knowing ANYTHING of the problems at the old site) I sent an e-mail saying how much I enjoyed the shows and asked if they had any new shows coming up. I received a reply saying they wanted to get a new show up but were not sure when it would happen. I then googled Mr. Feltham and lo and behold it lead me to this here site. I came sometime in 2002 ( I don't remember the exact date and I don't feel like searching - so sue me). I lurked for a while until I realized that these folks don't bite. I remember one of my first posts was to ask BK what he thought about Bernadette Peters being cast as Rose in Gypsy. Even though I don't post every day, I've been here ever since. I NEVER thought I would end up coming to a site like this every day. I see some other sites where vitrol and insult seem to be the order of the day and I just thought "I don't want to be part of that". I'm surprised and pleased to say that, besides being one of the most popular sites on the Internet, it is also one of the most civil and friendly.

A couple of highlights both have to do with HHW get togethers in New York. Dear Penny's wonderful, wonderful show last spring was a highlight. It's amazing that so many people came to the city to meet and to see Penny's show. That was touching for me as well, I'm sure, for Penny. The other highlight was just last month with the second East Coast get together. I had a week of fun and games with wonderful people from all over the country. It couldn't have been better. What a sweet group of people.

One of next year's highlights will be the arrival of Mr. Tom from Australia. New York will be prepared.

It's now 8:03 and I must get to work.

Later, gaters.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 05:02:45 AM »

Ginny's here and Larry's back. Hello and goodbye to you both!

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 05:04:36 AM »

Happy Anniversary to HHW!  DR elmore introduced me to this site when I spent time with him in NYC in early October 2004 and I signed on later that month.  It's great to know that there are lovely people out there whenever one feels the need for some company.  The get-togethers I've attended so far (2 in NYC and the Mamma Mia gathering in Indianapolis) were highlights of 2005.  I'd sort of let my interest in theater, especially musicals, languish and I'm very thankful to have that rekindled and nourished here.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 05:09:40 AM »

My avatar was in the file of computer images I'd collected when putting together the website for my book group:

www.orgsites.com/oh/joyluckclub

I dislike most photographs of myself, so decided to use the "pink reader" to identify myself here.  Actually, one of the group photos taken on the Oct. 5 tour contains a "head shot" that I might want to use, but I need some technical help.  Any volunteers?

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 05:34:49 AM »

I go way back before HHW. It started with Bay Cities and followed him to the next site. (Actually it goes back to the time when I found the original LP release of STAGES and remembered him from all his tv appearances) I was so dishearten when he was forced out. I wrote to him and ask me to keep me informed. He emailed me and told me about HHW.

Biggest pluses: Met some many wonderful people involved with HHW. The LA and NYC coasts. And one from Penn State.

Reconnected i with Matt Hough who I have never met in person but first connected with him on the old style bulletin board which in same ways is similar to this board.

Finally met Bruce at a performance of Hairspray. He was very much like his personality that he exudes here on the board. I debated and I never told him this, but I wanted to go over say to him. Where you in The First Nudie Musical? Then I would say Stephan Nathan's name and list some of the other male stars other than him, But I didn't.

Finally I did something I thought I could never do, but I did, was create a website. It has been a lot of fun. Sometimes it is hard to catch up with all the news that is happening and post it.

There has been good time and bum times. But I am still here. And I hope that I will be able to contribute to this board in years to come.

Congrats to Bruce Kimmel and all the Haines His Way People!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 05:36:46 AM »

With all the talk of the avitars I took mine down because I did not like it. I been dieting and lost some weight. It shows it the face, but I want to loose more so I can be gorgeous and post a stunning avitar.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 05:44:04 AM »

I just googled Bruce Kimmel and the first several enteries are interesting.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLC,GGLC:1969-53,GGLC:en&q=%27Bruce+Kimmel%22
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 05:44:40 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 05:48:03 AM »

Hi, Ben!  I'm up early this am worrying about tonight's "Meet the Grantmakers" panel that I'm hosting.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 05:56:48 AM »

I was supposed to attend a Meet the Grantmakers panel sometime during this year as one of my "career development" goals (it's performance evaluation time) but due to "pressing deadlines and other work projects I was not able to complete this goal" I would love to come to Ohio and attend one that you're hosting  :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 06:00:16 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 05:59:33 AM »

Jason and I will be seeing The Color Purple this evening. The cast is appearing on Oprah this Friday, November 11th (4pm Channel 7 ABC for you New Yorkers).

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2005, 06:15:48 AM »

I was supposed to attend a Meet the Grantmakers panel sometime during this year as one of my "career development" goals (it's performance evaluation time) but due to "pressing deadlines and other work projects I was not able to complete this goal" I would love to come to Ohio and attend one that you're hosting  :D

Oh, I'd even let you moderate - doors open at 6:30, formalities begin at 7pm!  How 'bout next November?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 06:17:30 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]@ @ @ @ @  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HAINESHISWAY.COM  @ @ @ @ @[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 06:18:56 AM »

Congratulations on your Anniversary BK.  I may not post nearly as much as I used to but I still read the notes everyday.  The fact that you are doing so well and have a new label must really be upsetting to those folks as Twyckham Island.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

FJL

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2005, 06:47:26 AM »

I first found this site when I was googling Skip's name and ran across an interview Bruce did with Danny Burstein.  (Bruce had always been very complimentary about Skip's score for TIME AND AGAIN and Danny had been in the show in San Diego, along with Danny's now-wife Rebecca Luker.)   I started doing the trivia questions, then started reading the notes daily, not really going beyond them into the daily discussions - until at one point there was a reference to the fact that there had been a trivia clue in the daily discussions.  So I checked out the clue and got hooked on the wonderful discussions, lurked for a while, and finally took the plunge and registered.

td

• td
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2005, 07:00:36 AM »

I have edited a post which I created recently for the Scarlet Street Forums, a post in response to xome very nasty, uniformed things being said about people whom I consider "friends:"

In my college years, I saw a musical film which has proven to be yet another life-altering experience: THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL, for it was with this film that the name Bruce Kimmel became known to me. (Almost certainly I had seen his guest shots on M*A*S*H, HAPPY DAYS and THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY, but TFNM was in a different ballpark than television fare).  
It wasn't until 1993, however, that Bruce would truly make shattering changes in my life.  On the Varese Sarabande Label, Mr. Kimmel began producing a series of "Unsung" albums - cds devoted to either composers or shows with songs which had shamefully not been recorded.  Unsung Sondheim was the first in my collection, but the next one, Unsung Musicals, came at a time when I was working on a benefit revue devoted to flop musicals.  A godsend indeed, for here was yet another wealth of material which could be put to use by the five voices in my show.  Not only that, but, if it weren't copywritten, what a great title that would be for my show!   Thus came my one and only "meeting" with Bruce Kimmel.  Yes, it's true.  I have never met Bruce, but through the years, I have come to think of him not only as an inspiration, but as a friend.  But one afternoon, in 1994, thanks to Esther Monk, I was connected to THE Bruce Kimmel.  Our telephone conversation was brief - he gave me his blessing to use UNSUNG MUSICALS for the title of my revue and told me how much he, as many others had already told me, loathed Stephen Sondheim's new musical, PASSION. Oddly enough, only ONE of the songs from Mr. Kimmel's cd wound up in my show, and that song ended up there only because a certain vocal coach I had know for a few months handed me the sheet music to a song which she felt I should be learning.  That song was from the flop musical SMILE, and has since become my signature song: "Disneyland."  Odd that Roseanna Irwin, the coach, had never heard of Bruce's work, or that he had has Jodie Benson record that song for him; she just felt that song was right for my range and emotions. . .
Now a big flash forward to the year 2000. . .
That would be the year that I saw an advert in the newsgroup alt.video.dvd for reviewers for a new dvd site.  Now I had written plays, I had written cabarets, I had written revues, but, I had never written critical analyses of anything (other than required term papers and such), so I thought, "Why Not?"    I submitted my review of the dvd of the Broadway production of VICTOR/VICTORIA (yes, a musical) to the new site's owner, Zach Borden.  Zach took me on as a reviewer and posted that review.
So, I was writing for dvdlaunch, I was writing for Scarlet Street when a very special dvd was released.  A dvd of a movie very special to me, directed by a person whose online antics I had followed from a Sondheim site, rec.arts.theatre.musicals' newsgroup, fynsworth alley, and finally, the most popular site on the internet, www.haineshisway.com - yup, the one, the only, Bruce Kimmel.  Not only did I review the dvd for both the site and Scarlet Street magazine, but, I had the extreme honor of interviewing Mr. Kimmel for the site.  I still have yet to have a full-frontal meeting with Mr. Kimmel, but, I speak to him on a nearly daily basis on his website, and a dream came true when my name appeared in print on the liner notes of a cd which BK had a hand in creating . . .Anyone who thinks that Mr. Kimmel is only a dissenting voice in the fandom wars, should hie themselves to http://www.brucekimmel.com/, a gloriously comprehensive site, to see just what kind of accomplishments Bruce is capable of.

This site, and BK himself, has brought so many of us together!  My trips to NYC would not be complete without a dinner at Joe Allen's with Larry . . .I've shared the company of Ben, Michael S., AlexPaige, EvilTwin and so many others.

HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY TO HHW AND ALL ITS DENIZENS!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2005, 07:05:13 AM »

Happy Anniversary to HHW!!!!!!

Jed

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2005, 07:12:37 AM »

Memories:  I remember the first post from DR François!
(I wonder if anyone else would remember why!).

Ahh yes, I do remember that!

More later, but now must rush my buttcheeks off to work!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up