Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE SINGULAR SENSATION  (Read 26917 times)

Jennifer

Re:ONE SINGULAR SENSATION
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2005, 09:59:23 AM »

It's not only women who swoon over Sawyer!  ;D

It's funny but I honestly wonder how many women do find him attractive.  I know he is supposed to be swooned over by all.  But when I made that comment to my sis she was like "yuck!".  And frankly he's not really my taste either.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2005, 10:02:46 AM »

DR DtM - that Connie Stevens Forever Young Time Machine and lotion has taken years off your face...YEARS!!!  Did you get it on QVC?

Yep--I sprung for the two litre bottle that comes with its own applicator.

How do you like the sweater vest?  It's from the Mark Linn-Baker Signature Collection.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2005, 10:04:50 AM »

I've heard stories that the entire cast of LOST goes skinny dipping during breaks.  Must be quite a sight, indeed.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2005, 10:05:30 AM »

I've heard stories that the entire cast of LOST goes skinny dipping during breaks.  Must be quite a sight, indeed.

Especially the sight of Hurley!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2005, 10:15:03 AM »

I just purchased an opening night ticket for Edward Albee's SEASCAPE on TDF for $29.00.

One can also get an opening night ticket (for tomorrow night) to see Ms. Judy Kaye in SOUVENIR for only $29.00, as well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2005, 10:18:38 AM »

Just got a "digital tear sheet" for wonderful reviews of the Harvey Schmidt CD and my very own Stages/Together Again CD - his review of the latter actually took me aback, so lovely was it.

http://www.americantheaterweb.com/news/ind.asp?id=117459

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2005, 10:19:09 AM »

Must be on my way to do some Xeroxing and shall return shortly for more partay.

FJL

« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2005, 10:23:22 AM »

Re CAPTAIN LOUIE and the logic of moving a show that's not doing great business in a somewhat "obscure" venue to a more prominent venue.  (My understanding is that SOUVENIR was papering as well at the York, yet the producer believed in it enough to move that as well, and it remains to be seen how that does in the high profile arena.)  The most recent success story of this nature is I AM MY OWN WIFE, which was not coming remotely close to selling out at Playwrights Horizons, but the producers figured it might do well with a higher profile, and the rest - in a small way - is theater history.  Sometimes the gamble pays off, sometimes it doesn't.  

Jason

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2005, 10:47:28 AM »

I agree that I AM MY OWN WIFE was a huge gamble, but I think the show only ran on the strength of Jefferson Mays' extraordinary performance.

CAPTAIN LOUIE does not have the benefit of a standout performance. Sadly, despite my affection for Mr. Schwartz's work, I have to say LOUIE doesn't have the benefit of his strongest work, either. It's also a lot to ask for parents to pay $49 a pop (only $30 for kids under 16) to see a 70 minute show, so filling the Little Schubert, which really ain't all that little, is quite a feat. Of course, the show has a fairly large cast for an off-Broadway show, and the rent on that venue must be through the roof, so they have to charge that much to cover expenses.

I'm shocked that SOUVENIR is transferring to the Broad Way, as well. Granted, they have Judy Kaye's amazingly funny and touching performance as Florence Foster Jenkins to carry the show, but when I saw it at the York, even Ms. Kaye's talents were barely enough to keep it interesting. And the subject matter is so osbcure - very few people in the general public know or care about Florence Foster Jenkins. When I saw the show at the York, I was one of about 8 people in the theatre, and the two people next to me had been comped. I understand wanting to give a show a chance, but SOUVENIR on BROADWAY never crossed my mind - it just isn't that kind of show.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 10:47:59 AM by Jason »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2005, 10:49:21 AM »

We'r e no t goin g t o ge t ou r hope s TO O hig h....

:D

:-* :-*  ;D

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2005, 10:49:21 AM »

Ginny re avatars... I have a wonderful pictuer of youfrom the food tour , it was of you and the Vixter but could be cropped and reduced to just you I think... I'll try and do that tonight (its on the home computer) and email it to you.

DR vixmom - I wonder if it's the same photo I'm thinking of?  Please do send it to me, thanks!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jason

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2005, 10:51:26 AM »

And it's just been announced that Tony winner (and frequent guest star of "Desperate Housewives") Harriet [Sansom] Harris will be playing Vera Charles opposite Ms. Christine Baranski in the Kennedy Center's production of MAME.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 10:52:03 AM by Jason »

vixmom

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2005, 10:51:54 AM »

I keep saying the samne thing, DRvixmom, but I kjnow pigs will fly first!

msut be a genetic thing ""big brother"

:-* ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2005, 10:52:58 AM »

Yep--I sprung for the two litre bottle that comes with its own applicator.

How do you like the sweater vest?  It's from the Mark Linn-Baker Signature Collection.

It is spiffy-ddodle!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2005, 10:54:42 AM »

Just got a "digital tear sheet" for wonderful reviews of the Harvey Schmidt CD and my very own Stages/Together Again CD - his review of the latter actually took me aback, so lovely was it.

Wow!  Fantastick, Dear Friend!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2005, 10:55:41 AM »

Any "Desperate Housewives"/Broadway enthusiasts should research the episode titles for the show.

http://epguides.com/DesperateHousewives/

Here are a few:

"Children Will Listen"
"Sunday in the Park With George"
"You'll Never Get Away From Me"
"Every Day A Little Death"
"The Ladies Who Lunch"
"Your Fault"
"(Fear) No More"

Somebody's a Sondheim fan...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 10:59:28 AM by Jason »

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2005, 10:57:20 AM »

Who here has had a cheese slice or a ham chunk?  Or, for that matter, a potato pancake?

bk, no cheese slices or ham chunks, but at my "Meet the Grantmaker" event tonight we're serving cheese chunks, grapes & strawberries, pretzels, veggies & dip, and Hershey miniatures.  I have to pick up the trays at Dorothy Lane Market at 5pm.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2005, 10:59:26 AM »

DR vixmom - I wonder if it's the same photo I'm thinking of?  Please do send it to me, thanks!

Its one I took of you and the Vixter in Chinatown that i am thinking of.. one of my favorite pictures from the trip.   I think I managed to capture your beautiful smile quite well that time! :D

BTW everyone who was on Jose's Patented Food Tour,  the Vixter talks about it quite often and remarks how nice it was that a bunch of grownups treated her (and I quote) : "just like I was a person too, not just someone's kid!"

vixmom

« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2005, 11:01:20 AM »

Lovely indeed... which reminds me I have to go and check the "post" status of my B & N reviews....

td

• td
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2005, 11:02:54 AM »

Who here has had a cheese slice or a ham chunk?  Or, for that matter, a potato pancake?
I just had a grilled ham & cheese on rye.   ;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

vixmom

« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2005, 11:03:51 AM »

no ham or cheese hunks or potato pancakes... I did have a cheesburger and fries though!

(I forgot to bring ny lunch and someone was going to Burger King so I ordered a kids' meal)... and it came with a  Wookie toy...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2005, 11:08:09 AM »

And it's just been announced that Tony winner (and frequent guest star of "Desperate Housewives") Harriet [Sansom] Harris will be playing Vera Charles opposite Ms. Christine Baranski in the Kennedy Center's production of MAME.

For my money, they should reverse that casting!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2005, 11:11:23 AM »

I'd like to request a favor from anyone who has DVR or some sort of reliable recording device...

Could someone please record for me the Nov. 11 episode of Oprah, which will feature performances from THE COLOR PURPLE? I'll pay for the tape and the shipping to have it sent to me.

Thanks!!!

FJL

« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2005, 11:15:46 AM »

BK - Congrats on those reviews - hoping that winning streak continues!!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2005, 11:22:33 AM »

This morning I went for a walk and saw something exciting. Folks are coming 100 miles to see this bird in Arizona. Here is a very bad picture (it was really out of range for my little camera):
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2005, 11:28:49 AM »

Staples needs two hours to Xerox the music, mostly because of the length of elmore's chart for my song What Do I Do Now - I'm Xeroxing the entire orchestration, because we'll be putting some of it on the second keyboard.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2005, 11:32:16 AM »

Staples needs two hours to Xerox the music, mostly because of the length of elmore's chart for my song What Do I Do Now - I'm Xeroxing the entire orchestration, because we'll be putting some of it on the second keyboard.

And a damn good song it was!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2005, 11:32:34 AM »

Is.

vixmom

« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2005, 11:39:45 AM »

That reminds me DR elmore.. I was recently privleged to hear the Susan Egan version of I Can Fly.. and loved the orchestration all the little undertones of the Neverland song etc and wen to check out the orchestration... Mr. Larry Moore... I should have known!  Very impressive indeed..

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2005, 11:39:47 AM »

Happy Annivarsary, BK and HHW!

BK, may not remember it, but he and I met briefly at our favourite bookstore, Mystery & Imagination (aka Bookfellows), when it was still on Broadway before it moved to Brand.  We were introduced by the store owner and I told him that I was a fan of his Varese recordings.

Years later, I'm in the store (now moved to Brand) on a Saturday afternoon and BK is reading from the first two Kritzer books.  Very funny.  After the reading, I had some of the proffered ham and cheese chunks (and a very good chocolate cake) washing it down with the ubiquitious Diet Coke, bought the two books, had Bruce sign them, and we proceeded to bullshit, the conversation getting more animated as the "do" wound down.  We found out we had a lot in common and liked a lot of the same stuff.

He suggested I would be a ripe subject for an unseemingly interview.  Being the PR whore I am, I readily agreed.  We exchanged info.  I went to the site to check out other interviews and would read his notes and listen to the Donald's radio show.

Lo and behold, a few days later I got Bruce's very amusing questions which I tried to answer in the same attitude and style and subsequently wound up with the interview of mine I enjoy the most.  I told him to feel free to cut it; but he loved it as is and published the whole thing.  Like elmore, my first serious forays onto the message board were to see if there was any reaction to the interview and then I started responding to some posts and the rest...as they say...is history.  

Shortly after the interview, BK suggested we go to dinner and I and The Lovely Wife met him at the first of what has become many dinners at Musso and Frank's and elsewhere where we laugh and laugh until we think we can laugh no more.

I dance the hora, chomp a ham and cheese chunk, and toast you with Diet Coke, ole chum!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up