Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BRIGHT ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE  (Read 29637 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BRIGHT ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE
« on: November 11, 2005, 12:07:47 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have not eluded you, and now it is time for you to post until the bright elusive cows come home - they're off looking for love in all the wrong places.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 12:17:48 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE BRIGHT ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:11:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: TERETE!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 12:37:16 AM »

Bk, try Alexis with Errol Flynn in Gentleman Jim, some nice stuff.  The western you may thinking of is also with Flynn...actually there are two...Montana and San Antonio.  In San Antonio, I believe she sings some ditty...Some Sunday Morning???  Sorry, I can't be anymore exact the movie references are inaccessible at the moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 01:12:43 AM »

BK, I have a video of a live 1982 TV concert called "That's Singing:  The Best of Broadway" (according to the video box, the original title was "Showstoppers:  The Best of Broadway").  Anyway, it has Alexis Smith singing "Could I Leave You?" from Follies. Is that something you could use?

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 01:14:50 AM »

AND it has your very own Stephen Nathan singing "All For the Best" from Godspell! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 01:18:55 AM »

I just realized that you asked for "a good Alexis Smith DVD" and this is only available on VHS.  My sister's boyfriend could transfer it to DVD, but it would probably take too long for you. :-\

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 04:11:22 AM »

TOD

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

and to DR Rodzinsky

Yes I know that Chitty etc was written by Ian Flemming just as You Only Live Twice was written by Flemming. I was refering to the film versions.

I really do think Dahl must have had a dark side when it came to children. Some of his children's novels especially Matilda was basically about child abuse with only one of the characters almost getting what they deserve.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 04:30:56 AM »

Of course one of my favorite Alexis Smith performances is also only available on VHS:  THAT HAPPY FEELING as an actress with a yen for Curt Jergens.

"Come on over, we'll have a party that'll make those Roman get togethers look like a taffy-pull!"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 04:32:00 AM »

BK, I have a video of a live 1982 TV concert called "That's Singing:  The Best of Broadway" (according to the video box, the original title was "Showstoppers:  The Best of Broadway").  Anyway, it has Alexis Smith singing "Could I Leave You?" from Follies. Is that something you could use?

Should point out that the tape is not the complete version of the show that aired on PBS. I think I still have it.

There were many performances by the originally stars singing their songs. Many in semblances of costumes and set pieces.

Here is what's on the tape.

1. Everything's Coming Up Roses--Ethel Merman (Gypsy)
2. Quadrille--the American Dance Machine (Can-Can)  
3. Get Some Cash for Your Trash--Nell Carter (Ain't Misbehaving)        
4. You Could Drive a Person Crazy--Donna McKechnie, Pamela Myers, Susan Browning (Company)
5. You Made Me Love You--Debbie Reynolds (Irene)  
6. Try to Remember--Jerry Orbach (The Fantastics)  
7. Shriner's Dance--Chita Rivera and the American Dance Machine (Bye Bye Birdie)
8. Summer Loving--Barry Bostwick and Carol Demas (Grease)
9. Sleeping Bee--Diahann Carroll (House of Flowers)
10. Never Will I Marry--Anthony Perkins (Greenwillow)
11. All for the Best--Stephen Nathan and David Haskell (Godspell)
12. Mean to Me--Nell Carter (Ain't Misbehaving)
13. I Believe in You--Robert Morse (How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying)
14. Could I Leave You--Alexis Smith (Follies)
15. Charlie's Place--Donna McKechnie, Wayne Cilento, and the American Dance Machine (Over Here)
16. Little Old New York--Chita Rivera and the American Dance Machine (Tenderloin)
17. Pretty Woman--Len Cariou (Sweeney Todd)
18. Send in the Clowns--Glynis Johns and Len Cariou (A Little Night Music)
19. Those Were the Good Old Days--Ray Walston (Damn Yankees)
20. They Say It's Wonderful--Ethel Merman (Annie Get Your Gun)
21. Lullaby of Broadway--Jerry Orbach and the entire company

In the Broadcast was:

Mary Martin and children (Ethnically mixed) singing Do Re Mi
Debbie Reynolds Alice Blue Gown (I think) from Irene
I think Tom Bosley did something from Fiorello as he was the host of the show.
I believe other performances were also dropped from the original broadcast.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 04:35:58 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 04:32:20 AM »

Very interested in hearing about the Gower Champion book from MR BK and others who may read it.

DVD:  Rock Rock Rock - courtesy DR MBARNUM

VHS:  The Flesh Eaters - courtesy DR MBARNUM

CD:  Doris Day the 1960's Singles
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 05:16:15 AM »

Another day at home with Mario Frangoulis; it's very tedious work jumping from theprinted chart to the new scores I'm filling out.  I'd rather be writing from scratch.

I've ordered the Gower Champion book, and I expect it will arrive next week.  For some reason (REWIND, p'raps?), I'm rereading the unxpurgated, unabridged Penguin translation of THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO.  What a great book.  It's as long, if not longer, than the unabridged LES MISERABLES, but I find Dumas more fun than Hugo, and I found LES MIS a bit of a chore.

TOD:
  CD:  LAST STARFIGHTER, Rebecca Luker's LEAVING HOME, Kurt Weill symphonies with the LADY IN THE DARK arrangements by Russell Bennett.
  DVD:  WIZARD OF OZ, REEFER MADNESS
  VHS:  el cheapo

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 05:21:43 AM »

Yes, I did win a sparkling prize last night, although the prize (two actually) was not as sparkling as one would hope. Here I am, a prize winner, carping about my prizes.

One prize is a voucher for two tickets to The Donkey Show. Here is a link so you may see what it's all about:

http://www.thedonkeyshow.com/

I also got a voucher for two tickets to Five Course Love, a new three character piece at the Minetta Lane Theatre. Again, a link for those of you interested.

http://www.fivecourselove.com/

If the show had not received some really bad reviews, I might be more interested in seeing the show. The reviews listed on the Web site are only some of the notices. Others have said it's dreadful, full of insulting stereotypical jokes and aside from the performers it's a wonder why it moved from GeVa Theatre.

Oh, well. We shall see.

I did have a good time with Jason last night. Anthony is still recovering from a cold and since it has turned chilly in NYC he decided to stay in and watch reruns of Law and Order and movies on Lifetime Movie Network.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 05:29:17 AM »

I'm not listening to anything right now but I will be listening to something soon. Don't know what, though.

We have things to watch at home but nothing is in the DVD/VCR waiting to be played.

I might have to make a visit to a Dog Spa and Hotel today after work. A friend who has a beagle is away on business for two weeks. He boards Homer (the beagle) when he goes away. I was listed as the emergency contact. Well, yesterday, while I was watching Mr. Mineo pine for James Dean, someone from Dog Spa called to say that while Homer was playing, he pulled a nail out of his paw. Apparently it's minor. A vet will examine him today and perhas prescribe an antibiotic. I will call the Spa soon to see if Homer is allowed visitors so I can let my friend know that his doggie is OK. Homer is suffering relocation anxiety. He was just moved (about two months ago) from a home in Ann Arbor with a yard and a big house to a 15th floor apartment on 28th Street in New York. He's acting out to show his unhappiness. One day he jumped on the coffee table and peed all over it. After that Elan, (no, not the Elan that posts here) put him in the kitchen with a gate. Homer was not stopped by the gate. It was destroyed and he escaped from the kitchen into the rest of the apartment. Poor doggie. It's hard enough for a child to relocated but a dog can't say anything. All he can do is pee and chew and act out.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 05:31:17 AM »

Well, on to work for me. I'll be back later.

Hi Larry. Bye Larry.

Antonia, I didn't recognize Tom in the dancing picture from last night because he wasn't wearing his glasses.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 05:41:15 AM »

MEdia check

iPod -- 90s playlist.  Mambo #5!  Can't listen to that one enough times, can't we?

Tivo -- INVASION.  I got two episodes to catch up on in addition to the episode I missed viewing and recording two weeks ago.  I keep checking to see if iTunes is offering INVASION the way they do LOST and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES but so far no go.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 06:17:29 AM »

BK mentioned Carol Reed's FALLEN IDOL in the notes.  The young actor in the film, Bobby Henrey, grew up to be the formidable (in a good way) head of the International Tax Consulting Group at Coopers & Lybrand, Robert Henrey, and Robert was my boss for about four years in the 1980's.  When I saw the film again a few years ago, and little Bobby Henrey shouted out "Baines" to Ralph Richardson, you could see the seeds of the impressive adult and boss he would become, firm but generally fair.  

Small coincidence:  I had worked for Robert Henrey in the summer of 1982, and then when I started working for his department full-time in the fall of 1983, the day I started happened to be the day Ralph Richardson's death hit the papers, so FALLEN IDOL had been mentioned in the papers that day.

That International group at Coopers & Lybrand was a somewhat theatrically-oriented group.  One of my other bosses in Robert Henrey's department, Tom Bissell, was the son of the co-author of PAJAMA GAME and the author of SAY DARLING.  (After I saw Robert Armin's beautiful production of SAY DARLING in 1996, I had called Tom Bissell and mentioned that I had seen it, and Tom had not known about it but went to see it and loved it.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 06:18:04 AM »

Good Morning!

Good Day!

And Goodbye... for now.

:)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 06:25:52 AM »

Can I ask you guys in the US a question?  Do most people have Veteran's Day off work?  And would most banks definitely be closed?

Ben

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 06:31:12 AM »

Yes, most banks (and the Post Office) are closed and no, most people do not have the day off.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005, 06:35:19 AM »

I think Veteran's day is about half and half as far as work holidays go.  For instance, the Jewish Board and Playbill where Tom and I work are open.  But the schools are all closed.  I believe all of the banks would be too since they seem to take off every day possible.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005, 06:47:44 AM »

Media Check
VCR: last night's episode of Alias
Book: Under the Banner of Heaven
Music: Sarah Shannon & Megan Slankard

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 06:57:21 AM »

Did anybody else see Survivor last night?

Were you surprised at who got voted off? OR when quarterback guy showed up with the mystery Idol. I was sort of thinking he might have found it. And i was totally wondering if they were going to show it. I sort of wish they had (hopefully they will next week).

How funny when gary saw Judd looking up in the air when he said the idol was on the ground! :)

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 07:11:03 AM »

Media Check:

VHS: Jeff Chandler and Colleen Miller in MAN IN THE SHADOW (which I am taping off of TCM tomorrow).

DVD: More episodes of LOCK-UP.

CD: A NIGHT IN ISTANBUL: Traditional Ottoman Music Meets the Lates Turkish Beats.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 07:13:30 AM »

My sis and I will be heading up to Sherwood shortly to babysit her son's (my nephew's) kids Taylor and Ben.

It is amazing how excited we both are about it! LOL! We just adore those two kids!

Ben

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 07:25:10 AM »

Things are shaping up for the great Dublin tour. I recorded 12 more segments for Showtime, the radio show to which I contribute and when I spoke to the producer she said that two of the dates I gave her are good for Beverly, the host. We will fly across the pond to Cardiff, see a bit of Wales and also meet Beverly Humphreys. Now I just have to find a place for Christmas dinner in Dublin :-)

I also should be on the air next week with a review of Souvenir, the new play w/music about Florence Foster Jenkins. It opened last night to decent reviews but a show about Jenkins starring Maureen Lipman opened in London last month. The producer wants to play that up so she will try to get my segment on next week's (November 16th) show.

Jason

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 07:27:06 AM »

Geez, I wish we had the day off. Or at least a half-day. 75% of the customers in the amateur department are schools, and...well...they're closed today. Fine by me, but let's close up early, too! We won't get any mail today, so there will be very little to process after 1:30-ish. I just want to go home, curl up and watch a movie. And maybe have some pizza. Mmmm...pizza.

DR Ben: I just found out that I may actually get my wish - I might have the entire apartment to myself over Thanksgiving weekend!!! Oh, RAPTURE! I honestly don't think I've had one night by myself in that apartment in six months, when Jenn came back from her tour. Keep your fingers crossed that the roommates actually do head up to Boston!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 07:36:01 AM »

Hi guys!  I have not caught up and I will be taking a half day today as Vixdad & the Vixter are both off and the Vixter has a concert this evening so I will spend the afternooon helpin her "get gorgeous" and then we are off to see her sing and then who knows?!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 07:38:54 AM »

We met withthe cardiologist yesterday and vixdada will be goingin for an angiogram on the mroning of the 29th, probably immedaitely to progress to an angioplasty with one or  "stents".  Apparently the heart muscle itself looks good but e may bneeed neof more vessels "cleaned out" so not wonderful news byt not devastating either.  Prayers vibes etc are all very much appreciated.  

vixmom

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2005, 07:40:08 AM »

Georeg thank you for the West Wing it arrived yesterday!!  We wer not in a TV mood last night so we shall be viewing it tonight or tomorrow.  Thanks so much!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2005, 07:40:41 AM »

More Vibes to Vixdad!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up