Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TWIDDLING MY THUMBS  (Read 28847 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TWIDDLING MY THUMBS
« on: November 18, 2005, 12:17:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've twiddled the notes, the notes have twiddled you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're off twiddling and they LOVE it, so it might be a while.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 01:15:11 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TWIDDLING MY THUMBS
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 12:18:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: OXYMORON!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 12:27:10 AM »

Is that a group of Eight Latter Day Saints?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 12:30:54 AM »

CD:  Darren Hayes (Secret Garden) - " So Beautiful"
        Moody Blues 'Live At Red Rocks"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 03:08:40 AM »

DVD: :"Houseboat"
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 04:35:14 AM »

Good news for Vixmom and the Vixter. It looks like the Radio City Music Hall lockout has been settled. No possible picket lines to cross. Starting today (or tonight) the orchestra will be back so Saturday's Christmas Spectacular will have a live orchestra. Here is a link to a news article

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051118/ap_en_ot/radio_city_strike;_ylt=ApH_KswvwFrOzb6jLQDq26hX24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 04:38:48 AM »

I'm listening to a re-broadcast of Friday Night is Music Night on BBC 2 right now.

I don't know what I will be listening to as the day proceeds. I'm working on a revision of our training manual so it's easy enough to listen to something as I work.

I'm all alone here at 7:40am on Friday, November 18th, 2005.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 04:40:36 AM »

Mr. Moore is here according to the list at the top of the page.

Good Morning sir.

I have read two reviews of The Woman in White, one from the Reuters critic and one from Ben Brantley at the Times. Both are mixed. I will go away now and read the reviews from the Daily News, Newsday and the New York Post.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 04:55:29 AM »

The review round up for Woman in White is decent. No raves, except for Maria Friedman, but no outright pans either. Michael Ball also gets some good reviews. You can go to

Broadway World

to get capsule reviews.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 04:56:38 AM »

OXYMORON. Isn't that Military Intelligence  ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 05:02:56 AM »

Good morning, Ben!  And good morning, all!  I, too, thought WITHOUT A TRACE was quite wonderful.  I knew Mr LaPaglia many years ago, when he was a bartender and Drama Book Shop habitue; nice man, and I think he's wonderful on the show.

Dear Friend BK, the groans worldwide will be loud all morning, thanks to your curdled cream account.  I hope the rest of your day goes excellently.

I'm off to Toyland:  yesterday my esteemed colleague Mr Tom Murray made a trip to the Library of Congress to check out some minutiae in the Herbert collection and to photocopy some stock arrangements on BABES, published between 1903 and 1905, made by Mr Herbert's esteemed colleague and orchestrator Otto Langey.  Today, we'll go through the materials he's copied.

TOD:
  DVD:  I still have THE WIZARD OF OZ; I want to check out the early films
  CD:  Mario Frangoulis, The Last Starfighter
  VCR:  the usual suspects
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 05:04:23 AM »

OXYMORON. Isn't that Military Intelligence  ;D

I thought it stood for Dick Cheney's staff!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 05:43:09 AM »

By the twiddling of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes...

(And I wish it would hurry up--I've been waiting for over an hour!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 05:55:43 AM »

MeDiA cHeCk:

iPod:  Kate Bush's first recording in 17 years--Aerial.  Very sweet and surreal stuff.  Next up will be the new Green Day live CD.

What won't be making an appearance on my iPod is the new Cyndi Lauper CD.  It contains the Sony XCP software which must be installed onto any PC it's to be played on and which has since been proved to be malware.  Sony is recalling all of the recordings that it released with this software, but I haven't heard any details on how that is supposed to happen.  I suppose I could play it on my portable CD player and patch it through to my PC and record it to MP3 files, but that strikes me as a lot of work for what should normally be a simple process.  This is the kind of corporate crap that makes me hate the music industry.

Tivo:  Gawd--I have about three episodes of INVASION to catch up on, along with the one that I missed recording about three weeks ago.  I keep hoping that INVASION will show up in the iTunes music store.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 06:28:35 AM »

Three cheers and best wishes for our esteemed BK's reading at Bookfella's tomorrow.  Der B and I would be there, if it weren't such a long drive (even we have our limits, sorry).

:D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 06:33:16 AM »

I thought it stood for Dick Cheney's staff!

PUH-LEEZE, Larry!  This is a family site!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 06:43:45 AM »

Friday morning greetings!

Media check:

CD (car) - A Saturday Tradition by The University of Michigan Marching Band.  Had to have my own private Wolverine pep rally on my way to work, because at noontime I'll be going downstairs to our training office for Jen's 4th annual Buckeye Bash.  She always has a big spread on the Friday before the UM/OSU game and I always wear one of my Michigan sweatshirts to annoy her!

DVD - Six Feet Under, season 4, disc 4; HBO's Warm Springs, starring Kenneth Branagh as FDR and Cynthia Nixon as Eleanor.

VCR - After Jose's comments last night, I'll have to watch The Joy Luck Club.  That is one of my all time favorite books and the one for which my book group is named.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 06:49:17 AM »

My schedule is totally ker-flammered today.  I thought der B and I were going to take Peggy to her potential new home.  Unfortunately, the fella who will hopefully be adopting her didn't re-contact der B, which means that trip is cancelled for now.  Also unfortunately, der B didn't make this clear yesterday, so I didn't know how the plans had changed until just a few minutes ago.

So, suddenly I've got an entire day to myself.  Der Grampa is off to the grandlad's school, for Grandparent's Day.  He won't be home until eight-ish tonight.

And I just realized that the CD for Last Starfighter is in the car.  And der B has already left.  So much for a reading-and-listening combo.  Drat.

My very public thanks to FJL and Skip!  I'll be doing the reading part today, and I'm looking forward to discovering how you've adapted the piece.  If there's anything I enjoy that isn't kitchen-oriented, it's reading a new script and playing it in my mind's theater!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 06:54:12 AM »

Besides today being the Great American Smokeout Day, today is also Married to a Scorpio Support Day.

I can think of few things more frightening than being married to a Scorpio who is quitting smoking.  Chills up and down my spine, I tell you, absolute chills.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 06:59:40 AM »

Today is also National Vichyssoise Day.  That's for those of you who like cold soup.  Why this is celebrated during a month that hormally has cold weather, I haven't a clue.

And we also celebrate St. Peter the Apostle today.  St. Peter is the patron of bakers, butchers, fishermen, harvesters, and...foot problems?  I suppose we should be glad he isn't also the patron saint of grape stompers.   :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 07:04:35 AM »

ON THIS DAY, in 1307, the legendary William Tell shot an apple from his son's head.  The concept of child abuse was quite different back then.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 07:09:30 AM »

Speaking of abuse, ON THIS DAY in 1874, the Women's Christian Temperance Union was formed in Cleveland, Ohio.  (I've a hunch these ladies wouldn't have approved of the name "Long Island Iced Tea."  Their loss.)

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2005, 07:23:34 AM »

Media check:

CD: BEST OF THE ORLONS

VHS: Last nights SURVIVOR

DVD: Episodes of the color 1950s TV series NORTHWEST PASSAGE

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2005, 07:32:48 AM »

And my Bollywood movie for this weekend (which I started watching last night) is LALKAR (1972). This star studded World War ll film is tons of fun and is likely to become one of my favorite vintage Bollywoods!

I am not usually a big fan of war films but then most war films don't have a lot of song and dance numbers in them! LOL!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 07:45:09 AM »

Congrats to DR CILLALIZ on her non-smoking accomplishment.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2005, 07:45:34 AM »

Nice pictures DR TOMovOZ....   Lovely birds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2005, 07:49:29 AM »

TOD:

CD - Nothing
VCR - The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (nice performances by Gregory Peck and Jennifer Jones)
DVD:  The Hammer Horror Collection.  So far I have watched CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF, Oliver Reed is a sexy werewolf indeed, BRIDES OF DRACULA, Dracula ain't in it, but Baron Meinster is, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA with Herbert Lom - I liked the backstory, but not seeing the villian the awful Michael Gough get killed is a disappointment, PARANOIAC a nifty thriller again with Oliver Reed and Ted Casablanca himself, Alex Davion.

PHANTOM also features Edward de Sousa, who I think is an acquaintance of DR CP.

Good vibes for the Reading tomorrow!  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2005, 07:56:05 AM »

Good morning!

Very cold here but a gorgeous day otherwise. I have some errands to run during the day today and am going out tonight, and I will have to put on winter clothes for the first time since it going to dip below freezing tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2005, 07:57:48 AM »

Tonight I am going to see two actors who were in LA CAGE with me do the play VISITING MR. GREEN. It's going to be a late night since we're going out after the play to have some dessert, but I'm going to try to log back on when I come in this morning to give a play report.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2005, 07:59:25 AM »

Mornin' all. I'm waiting for my breakfast to arrive.

WOMAN IN WHITE did, indeed, get a few decent reviews. It'll get mine tomorrow, since I'm seeing the show tonight. I'm sure my review will make or break the show. ;)

I know this will excite many of you - today I shall have cake. Oh, yes...I shall have lots of cake, and why? Because tomorrow is my birthday and the office always "surprises" people with cake and cards on their birthdays. As it turns out, there are three of us celebrating our natal day tomorrow, so there shall be LOTS of cake. :) I'll have a full (bellied) report this evening, I'm sure.

TOD:

DVD: The Birds
CD: Home: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, THE COLOR PURPLE Demo, MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG.
Work: THE COLOR PURPLE Demo.
MP3: CAROLINE, OR CHANGE
VCR: Nada.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up