Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CRASH DIET  (Read 15829 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CRASH DIET
« on: November 25, 2005, 12:10:39 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have inspired you to be inspired, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently on a crash diet, having eaten way too much pumpking pie.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 12:31:01 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CRASH DIET
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 12:11:05 AM »

And the word of the day is: BLING!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 12:18:30 AM »

No one in the jernt but little ol' me.

BLING, baby, BLING.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 12:27:53 AM »

CDs: "The Likes Of Us" ALW/T Rice
       "Live At The Royal Albert Hall" Dusty Springfield
       "Counterpoint songs" -The G.P Dougherty collection

DVD:  Last night's viewing was "The Bandwagon"
          Tonight:  ?

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 03:10:46 AM »

And tonight's viewing was Brazilian film "City Of God"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 04:31:05 AM »

And tonight's viewing was Brazilian film "City Of God"

Good morning, all!  Last night my reading lamp died died, and I have to buy a new one this morning.  It will be a frustrating search, but I'll probably end up, as the last time, ordering something nice and using a cheap facsimile until the order arrives.

The housecleaning continues before former intern Dylan arrives, and since he's a film studies major, I'll let him decide what he wants to watch this weekend.  I think THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER is pretty definite.

CD:  The Last Starfighter, Braunfels' DIE VOGEL, perhaps some holiday music.

VCR:  Cleaned out till monday
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 05:45:38 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

...And I should be in the midst of my workout right now, but...

-Actually, I strained my lower back earlier in the week while working out, so I'm a little wary to do anything strenuous right now.  I'm gonna let myself wake up a bit more before doing anything today - I think I was just a little too "right out of bed" when I worked out Monday morning...  And Tuesday morning.

In the meantime...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 05:46:26 AM »

Friday Media Check...

Well, that was it.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 05:51:32 AM »

I did check out the sales on Apple.com, and there aren't any real great bargains.  And the "special" on the iPod consists of Free Laser Engraving and Free Shipping.  And according to the retail store link, that's the same special if you go into an actual Apple Store.  However, the iSight cameras are on sale, and the .mac membership is discounted too.  So... We'll see.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 06:40:22 AM »

CDs: Last Starfighter and an Elton John two-disc collection.

DVDs: War of the Worlds is on the shelf: I want to see Tom Cruse teaching Dakota Fanning how to jump up and down on a couch.  Der B gave the grandlads Polar Express, hopefully we'll be finding the version with all the extras for ourselves.

Books: The Perfectionist: Life and Death in Haute Cuisine, by Rudolph Chelminski.  In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food, by Stewart Lee Allen.  And Bistro Cooking at Home, by Gordon Hamersley.  (Consistant, ain't I!   8))
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 06:48:01 AM »

TOD:
YESTERDAY'S VIEWINGS:
Heavenly Creatures - wow! 1st time i saw this magnificent Peter Jackson drama.  I've even read some of Anne Perry's books without knowing this part of her life.
The Sea Hawk - swash me buckle, mate! Bling! Errol Flynn is back on deck, making piracy pay.  Easy to see where Kevin Kline got his Pirate King and where Christopher Guest got his six-fingered villain in THE PRINCESS BRIDE.

THE LISTENING POST:
Susan Egan - Coffee House
Joe Nichols - Revelations
Cat Stevens - Teaser and Firecat
Original Soundtracks - STATE FAIR - didn't our esteemed host have something to do with this recording being released?

THE READING TABLE:
Jane Fonda - My Life So Far
Caleb Carr - The Italian Secretary (A Sherlock Homes Mystery)
The Pythons - An Autobiography
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:49:59 AM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 07:30:14 AM »

Well I am back home. Had a wonderful time in NYC.

Went to the airport early hopefully I could change my flight to an earlier. I did but we got to the runway and the airport was shutdown due to wind shear. No planes landing. No planes taking off. We finally did take off and got home around 1:30am. The plane that I would have taken wasn't due to land to 1:30am.

Well I did so much walking in NYC that I have many blisters. But I look at them as war wounds. The only other negative was that my right leg is swollen  from the knee down due to my pre-diabetes.

TBC
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 07:37:59 AM »

MY THANKSGIVING:

I spent the day working at the store.  It was busy enough through the day, with some lag times.  Most customers were there to find one or two items (and often found more, of course), but there were plenty who had carts filled with their groceries.

One of this year's deals was a fully cooked turkey and the "fixings", all prepared and boxed.  These were bought by customers who had pre-ordered their goodies.  The florist was quite busy as well, of course.  And the bakery had plenty of pies sold over the last few days.

What were the customers like?  Most of them were cheerful, happy to find us open.  Some pitied me for "having" to work on the holiday; I just told them I was enjoying myself, and that it was a lot better than my stepdaughter's cooking.  (When in doubt, always pick on the stepdaughter's cooking; everyone understands.)  There were a few who were determined to grumble, but not many.  

And there was the mother/daughter combo who argued about sour cream.  

M: All you need in your mashed potatoes is some milk, you don't need anything else!

D: Well, I always put sour cream in my mashed potatoes!

M: Well, that's why you're so fat!

(Of course, Mom was just as hefty.)

All and all, I had a good time yesterday.  Definately one of the more memorable Thanksgivings I've had.

Certainly more memorable than it would have been at the stepdaughter's table.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 07:40:16 AM »

I saw several shows and movies while I was in NYC. I haven't seen three movies in one week in a very long time. They were three very different movies and I enjoyed them all very much.

Capote. A wonderful portrait of a complex man with a wonderful performance by Philip Seymore Hoffman.

Harry Potter. I had not read the book so I didn't miss what wasn't in the film. I think I liked this film the best of the lot.

Chicken Little (don't laugh) in its digital 3-d showing. I enjoyed it. The voice work was very good and not overly done with familar celebrity voices. There was also enough humor for the adults that I am sure went over the head of the kiddies.

TBC
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 07:40:59 AM »

Good morning!

We have a sunny but cold morning here, and with temps not supposed to get out of the 40s today, I'll be staying inside for most of the day. I do want to pop by the grocery store for a few items (including frozen yogurt) but otherwise should have a good inside day today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 07:45:06 AM »

If I get all the DVDs today that are expected to arrive (and I doubt I will since this is the first day after a postal holiday; those days are usually notoriously light on packages), I am going to have some major decisions on my hands about what to watch.

I do want to see Streisand's BELLE OF 14TH STREET from her TV specials boxed set, and I may also put in COLOR ME BARBRA, always my favorite of her specials.

I will have the Spielberg WAR OF THE WORLDS and THE POLAR EXPRESS today, too, I suspect, but I suppose I'll put on the former first.

So, with all of this up in the air, I'll just hold off on my Friday Media Check until after the mail comes.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 07:45:25 AM »

SIXTY-FIVE YEARS AGO TODAY, in 1940, Woody Woodpecker made his debut in the cartoon 'Knock Knock.'

(No relation.)

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 07:47:25 AM »

DR Michael S, I'm glad you also liked CAPOTE. I found Hoffman's ability to mold himself to Capote's manner and physicality very astonishing, and the story of the writing of IN COLD BLOOD was gripping to me.

Critics often say that portraying writers on the screen is dull and movies don't usually do it well, but this movie certainly knew how to do it to make it fascinating from beginning to end. Of course, it helps if you have a very colorful personality as your writer to sart with.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2005, 07:48:30 AM »

According to some, today should be "Your Welcomegiving Day."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2005, 07:52:10 AM »

On a more serious note, today is the International Day for the Elimation of Violence Against Women.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2005, 07:52:57 AM »

Theater in reverse order.

Wednesday: 2 shows.

Evening: A Broadway Diva's Christmas where two of the four divas were out. Ellen Green was out with bronchictis (sp?) which is acceptable I guess, the other Maria Schnable (Jane Eyre) was still out on tour somewhere. This was not acceptable. They should not have advertised here as being one of the divas. The latter was told with an insert in the program, but Ellen Green's absence was never announced and only realized in as the show went on and no Ellen Green. I found out the reasons for their no shows after the show.

HOWEVER There was a highlight. Christine Pedi of Forbidden Broadway and Forbidden Hollywood fame did the 12 days of Christmas in different diva voices. Two of the back up singers went into the audience with index and audience members (including moi) chose cards with names on them and she then proceeded to do the song in those voices and with their body gestures.

Eartha Kitt
Julie Andrews
Liza Minnelli
Barbara Streisand (my card)
Judy Garland
Ethel Merman
Joan Rivers (Ok not really a diva)
Angela Lansbury (The first time I heard anyone do her. Pedi was very good)
Bernadette Peters (susan egan also does a wicked version of her)
Carol Channing

and the other name escapes me.

Then did them in reverse order all together for the final.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 08:01:16 AM »

Wednesday Matinee.

Souvenir withe devine Judy Kaye. A very funny comedy and Judy Kaye was a stand out in her role. I scored a fourth row center ticket at TkTS. The Lyceum is a large theater with TWO balconies. I know they can't fill the theater, but I hope that  word of mouth will get people into the seats. It is what a trip to theater is all about. The audience loved it. Laughing and applauding. Judy's co-star was equally good and it is his character that we see the story onfold. It takes a talent like Judy Kaye to sing as bad as that. The stories end on a high note (no pun intended) for Judy and her character.

After the show I went backstage and chatted for a few minutes. Judy read Benjamin Kritzer and loved it. I told her about the other books and she said that she would get the other books. Also told her about the new record label.

Bruce, Judy sends her love.

I recommend the show to one and all. I hope it runs at least till Tony time.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2005, 08:03:34 AM »

No shows on Monday or Tuesday as I went to dinner with friends. Barrymore's was wonderful and sorry that I never went to it before. I went to Carmine's. I went to their restaurant uptown. It is a family style Italy restaurant. The food was great and you need to go with at least four people!

TBC a little later
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005, 08:04:41 AM »

I wonder if SOUVENIR will qualify as a play, musical, or special event (a la Elaine Stritch or Billy Crystal).

Has the Tony nomination committee placed it yet in categories?

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2005, 08:06:51 AM »

Well, I'm off to clean up now for my little excursion to the grocery store. I know the parking lot will be jammed, but as I'm only going to run in and out, maybe I can accomplish it in a minimum of fuss and bother.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2005, 09:33:02 AM »

Cold today...very cold.  But temperatures in the sixties expected by Monday!

TOD:

CD:  Burt Bacharach The Story of My Life, nice CD with many good songs

DVD: The Cardinal, up next Shaun of the Dead

VCR:  Escapade in Florence starring Miss Annette Funicello
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2005, 09:39:46 AM »

My 737th post in honor of the 737 aircraft I'll be flying on during my trip.  

Me?  Superstitious? Nah.

Back on Monday night.  Not sure what the HHW reading/posting situation will be from the hotel, but on the small chance that anyone actually does need to reach me, they can feel free to email me at my AOL address of dylan43rd, which I'm sure I'll be able to check daily.

Have a great weekend, everybody.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005, 09:53:18 AM »

Have a great trip DR FJL & Skip!

Michael

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2005, 10:05:49 AM »

I wonder if SOUVENIR will qualify as a play, musical, or special event (a la Elaine Stritch or Billy Crystal).

Has the Tony nomination committee placed it yet in categories?

It will classified as play. It is actually billed as a play with music.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 10:08:55 AM »

Sorry to hear about Keith Andes.  Keith was Lucy's leading man in WILDCAT on Broadway, and starred with Jane Powell in Gower Champion's movie THE GIRL MOST LIKELY....

He was also the husband of Glynis Johns in her TV series GLYNIS which ran for about a season on CBS back in the sixties....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up