Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: FLOGGED WITH A LINGUINI  (Read 30076 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FLOGGED WITH A LINGUINI
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2003, 08:32:54 AM »

I loved HE AND SHE, but mainly due to Jack Cassidy who stole the show from everyone. That show only ran one season, much to my surprise. It was literate and well done in every aspect, but it just didn't catch the audience's fancy, I guess.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2003, 08:34:18 AM »

Wal-Mart on a shopping frenzy day???

Kill me now and save me the torment!

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2003, 08:36:20 AM »

My favorite pasta recipe:

boil water in a pan.
dump in macaroni from a box
add butter, milk, and the orange stuff from the     envelope that came with the box.
mix together and serve.
Sometimes I add cut up hot dog weiners.

I am some cook!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2003, 08:41:33 AM »

When I worked retail I always had to work the day after Thanksgiving. So I never was able to enjoy that shopping day.  ;)

Last year I went to K-Mart at 6:00 am to get the $2.50 Christmas DVDs that were advertised. I braved the crowd and finally made my way through the fleshy shoppers and arrived in the video section only to find that they didn't even have the advertised Christmas DVDs in stock. All of the clerks were in hiding and so I was unable to get anyone to assist me. I left, but not before noticing the lines and lines and lines of people at the check out registers. At that point I was happy that they DIDN'T have the DVDs that I wanted, otherwise I think I would still be in line, they were that long.

I will sleep in this day afte Thanksgiving.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2003, 08:42:59 AM »

dr mbarnum...from what liberry did you get your new ID pic?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2003, 08:44:39 AM »

Oh, that is from my own private library of classical literature! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2003, 08:46:12 AM »

by the way, I  can't recall if I congratulated Jason!

Congratulations Jason!!!!!!!

Ben

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2003, 08:46:25 AM »

I am about to leave a little early for lunch. Today I think we will have tuna fish on wheat toast with sliced tomatoes and lettuce and a glass of herbal iced tea with which to wash it down. Perhaps afterward, I will have an apple to satisfy my sweet tooth.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2003, 08:49:32 AM »

As you can tell from my multiple posts, I am very, very, very bored here at work today!

Right now I am drinking the coffee that my supervisor brought in for me (she is a sweetheart!!) and eating little halloween bags of peanut butter M&Ms.

My in-box is empty and I know not what to do with myself. I feel as though I am wasting the tax-payers money, so I best find something to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2003, 09:16:57 AM »

I am getting ready to head off for lunch myself. I suspect my best friend and I will have Philly Cheesesteak - not good for the figure but oh so good for the tastebuds.

DR MBarnum, I note with some awe your new ID picture. You must be some kind of a whiz with makeup and hair. Who are you masquerading as?

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2003, 09:24:35 AM »

Matt. H., all I know is that I Get What I Want.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2003, 09:31:33 AM »

MR BK there is a Bye Bye Birdie souvenir book on EBAY today.  The star  is Mr Andy Williams, and his co-star is Miss Carmen Alvarez!  I bet Moonbeam was a great Rosie!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2003, 09:35:47 AM »

Good morning all
Have you ever had a night where you simply can't sleep?  I had such a night last night.  I finally felt a bit sleep at around 3:30, and drifted off around 4.  As a result I am tired and cranky this morning.  Not a good way to start the week.  At least it's a short week...

My all time favorite pasta recipe.
Boil up some salad maraconi (looks like elbow maraconi cut in half)
Rinse and let it cool.
Cut up some cheddar cheese into chunks, defrost some frozen peas.  Add both to the pasta with some mayonaise until well blended.
A very simple pasta salad, but it's my absolute favorite.
Hmmm...might have to make that tonight..

Off to get a very strong cup of coffee...

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2003, 09:46:06 AM »

I have to type this quickly, since my mom stayed home today and insists upon taking me to the urgent care clinic for my flu shot.  The flu season is going to be quite bad this year, I've heard, so it probably is good that I go.  Still...why can't it be like when I was a little girl and my mom offered to treat me to Baskin Robbins afterwards??

I love basic pasta dishes like spaghetti, lasagna, linguini, fettucini alfredo...I could NEVER do that Atkins Diet.  I love me my carbs!

BK--I want to hear the news!  Come on everyone, post!!!

HollyLynn--I believe the name of the movie with Tucci and Rossellini was Big Night.

Jose--thanks for the ticket offer for Camelot from the other day!  Actually, I checked out the website and found out about the ten dollar tickets for college students, so I'm going to try and get one of those.  Sometimes I just LOVE having that student ID!

Off to flu-shotland.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2003, 09:46:32 AM »

Forgive me, Noel.  I didn't mean to sound as though I were quibbling with your terminology.  You're quite correct, bay scallops are the small ones.  It's just that I find bay scallops somewhat rubbery, and sea scallops are nice and juicy and meaty.  They are a bit large for over pasta, but you can just slice them in half or in quarters if you like.  They're also a bit more expensive, but worth it, I think.

Anyway, we wound up only going to Wal-Mart for water, milk, and eggs, and will do the grocery shopping tomorrow.  We need to come up with a list as this shopping trip will be The Big One, what with Turkey Day just around the corner and all.

BK, where do you keep the picture of The Lady With Green Soap?  In one of the bathrooms, or someplace unexpected?  I'd love to visit sometime, your tastes are so eclectic it's bound to be as interesting as the Addams Family Mansion (which I always, as a child, considered my dream home).
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2003, 09:47:17 AM »

Milk and Ovaltine -- Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2003, 09:48:21 AM »

Good Morning, Good Day...

Well, I slept in... and my sinuses are still a bit "full", but I'm still here...  Alive and sort of kicking.. well, at least typing away at the computer keyboard.

It's a beautiful day outside, and I should get out in it soon - there's rain on the way this afternoon.  But until then...

Pasta recipes... I've grown very fond of very simple pan sauces lately.

-Crushed tomatoes, red chile flakes, garlic, oregano, some pasta water.
-Butter(!), sage leaves, s&p, pasta water - This is amazing over pumpin ravioli!
-Or the classic olive oil and garlic... and I like my garlic slightly browned.  *And remember, if you want a LOT of garlic flavor, start sauteeing the garlic in COLD oil.  Otherwise, saute in hot oil.  -And maybe some brocolli rabe thrown in over orechiette.

*On a related note, the prix-fixe All You Can Eat Pasta dinner at Becco in New York City is a true deal, and a true meal.  Salad and/or antipasti, followed by three types of pasta.  They just bring the pans up from the kitchen and scoop away onto your plates.  YUMMY!  The pasta is sooo fresh, and the sauces... WOW!  I love their Veal Bolognese.  Throw in a bottle from their extensive $20/bottle wine list, and you've got a wonderful dinner.

As for milk - and I'm not sure how this thead started...  I go through phases... but I have become a skim milk convert... Drinking whole milk sometimes feels like drinking Elmer's Glue to me.

Well, I'm off to be productive.. I think..  The joys of a day off.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2003, 09:50:15 AM »

The bath lady is in the bathroom where she belongs.  It just went well in there, and the colors are perfect.

Well, we finally have a lot of people looking at the board, so might I suggest that we get some postin' goin' on?  

I'll bet Moonbeam was a great Rosie.  Andy I don't know about.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2003, 09:52:16 AM »

In honor of the upcoming holiday, I have changed my .sig yet again, to a Native American related quotation.  Each day up until Thanksgiving I will change my .sig, so you daren't miss a day here at HHW or you'll be left out of the loop!
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2003, 09:55:30 AM »

Actually, I'd bet money that Andy played Albert, and not Rosie.  

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2003, 10:00:47 AM »

Oy!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2003, 10:09:14 AM »

The other day we were talking about Neil Simon, and I'd mentioned how his first memoire, Rewrites, was a dear book to Dear Wife Joy and me.

Way back when she was living in Washington, DC, and I in New York, we were both reading it at the same time.  The book covers Doc Simon's life from the time of his first play, Come Blow Your Home, to the time something earth-shattering happened to him in the early 1970's.  I'd thought this event was rather well-known, as he'd written a play about it which has been filmed.  But Joy was unaware as she read the book, a few chapters behind me.

All sorts of details of the Simons' life led Joy to believe that she and I were very much like Joan and Neil.  Like the characters in Barefoot in the Park, he was a stuffed-shirt and she was loosening him up.  (Or was this a description of us?)  Neil was a writer; Joan played tennis.  True of us as well.  Eventually, Joy took the screen name Joan Simon.

Now, when I got the idea that Joy was unaware of how the story would end, I didn't have the heart to tip her off.  She was reading the book and loving it, and it was Simon's job to relate the story, not mine.  So, Joy's telling me she's reading about how a doctor looked at a little bruise Joan got while playing tennis, and I'm keeping mum.

A day later, I pick up the phone, and there are tears on the other side of the line.  I knew what had happened: "It's Joan, isn't it?"  <sniffle, sniffle>  "It's O.K., honey - we're not exactly like them."
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2003, 10:09:27 AM »

I have to type this quickly, since my mom stayed home today and insists upon taking me to the urgent care clinic for my flu shot.  The flu season is going to be quite bad this year, I've heard, so it probably is good that I go.  Still...why can't it be like when I was a little girl and my mom offered to treat me to Baskin Robbins afterwards??

Off to flu-shotland.

Gee, and what stopped you from suggesting to your mom that you both stop at Baskin-Robbins on your way back?  Moms can be nostalgic, too....and they like to find out that things that were special to them when you were little remain special to you!

Ben

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2003, 10:13:15 AM »

Here is a link to the Playbill On-Line story about recent award winners in theatre in the Los Angeles area. Lorna Luft's show Songs My Mother Taught Me got an Ovation award. She and Ken and Mitzi Welch put it together (they of the Carol Burnett Show and other variety venues) There is talk of bringing it to NYC. Have any of our LA cohorts seen it and if so, what do you think?

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82942.html

Emily

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2003, 10:14:52 AM »

Good afternoon all!

I had to wait all morning for a computer at school.  Paper writing season is in its dying and most dangerous stretch.

I for one, am still working on my essay on Islamic and Sufi Nationalism in 19th Century Sudan.  It is just about as exciting to write as you can imagine!

I don't really make pasta all that often although all of your recipes sound delish.  Well everything except for the mayonnaise DR Ann adds to macaroni.  In the words of Kate Monster: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! :)

I do like creamy pastas like fettucinne Alfredo or Carbonara although they are reeeeeaaaalllly bad for you so I have to stay away.  I like pesto sauce like DR Craig/Skippy and anything with seafood in it.

My favorite type of pasta though has to be gnocchi.  I grew up in a neighborhood full of Italians.  When someone's grandmother made gnocchi I was always first in line :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2003, 10:22:22 AM »

Varese Sarabande -- along with HHW friend Nick Redman -- have offered up a wonderful Christmas present for film music lovers:

A 2-CD recording from master elements of one of filmdom's finest achievements -- Alfred Newman's stupendous score for "The Robe."

This is the 50th Anniversary of "The Robe", and this recording represents the first presentation of all the music from the film mastered from its original elements.

VareseSarabande.com is where the title can be ordered, look under Club Titles or search "The Robe".

It is available in very limited quantities.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2003, 10:26:13 AM »

BK - I didn't think you noticed.  I've been shopping and cooking and cleaning because we have 16 people coming for Thanksgiving and I am seeing the Charles Busch AUNTIE MAME tonight and NEVER GONNA DANCE on Wednesday so I can't do anything those nights.  I don't have your dirty noodle recipe.  If you've lost it I'll do an unseemly search.

The following review appeared in Ken Mandelbaum's column today:

JEEPERS CREEPERS (Red Circle)

When Bruce Kimmel was with Varese Sarabande, he produced a wide variety of compilation discs, ranging from the valuable "Unsung Musicals" and "Lost in Boston" series to separate CDs devoted to Sondheim, Bacharach, Simon, Shakespeare, Peter Pan, and Cinderella.

Kimmel is now the producer of Jeepers Creepers, a collection of songs written for or used in horror movies, for a new label, Red Circle. It has been produced with Richard Valley and Tom Amorosi, the publishers of Scarlet Street magazine, and includes extensive and amusing notes by Valley on each film represented. Jeepers Creepers is available at www.scarletstreet.com.

Quite appropriately, the disc opens with a trashy song from a trashy picture: Tammi Tappan warbles the title number from the supremely tacky, immensely lurid Who Killed Teddy Bear?, starring Sal Mineo and two musical Mames, Juliet Prowse and Elaine Stritch. (When will someone reissue this picture on DVD?)

This is a somewhat odd notion for a compilation disc. That's because, for the most part, the songs are in no way creepy, and don't really reflect the horror of the films in which they were featured. The outstanding tracks: Rebecca Luker in a pretty Cahn/Van Heusen song cut from Journey to the Center of the Earth; Judy Kaye, in a mock-operetta ditty from Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man; the title tune from Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte, performed by Christiane Noll; Burt Bacharach and Mack David's title song for The Blob, featuring Alison Fraser; Brent Barrett in "Stella By Starlight," heard in The Uninvited and The Nutty Professor; and Jason Graae in a medley of songs from teenage, rock 'n' roll horror movies.

There's also music from Mothra, Circus of Horrors, The Mummy's Curse, and Attack of the Puppet People (the latter sung by the daughter of the film's producer), with performances by Sharon McNight, Lynnette Perry, Michelle Nicastro, Katherine Helmond (who mostly talks her way through the title song from What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?), and the irrepressible Guy Haines.

He couldn't mention Susan Gordon by name?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2003, 10:50:58 AM »

Gosh, wasn't it nice of him to mention as much as he did?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2003, 10:51:50 AM »

That's a good review from our Ken.  I am jiggy with that review.

WEL: I always notice.  And seeing shows and having people in is no excuse to stay away for a whole weekend.  We need you back where you belong, like Dolly Levi Gallagher.

I'm a gettin' hungry for PASTA.

And I've passed on our Ken's comment re Guy Haines - I, too, feel he's irrepressable.

Emily

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2003, 10:54:48 AM »

the reviewer also doesn't mention Remy Zadan (sp?  is that even her name) for her work on "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"

I think he's an ageist.  :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up