Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: FLOGGED WITH A LINGUINI  (Read 30077 times)

Jennifer

Re:FLOGGED WITH A LINGUINI
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2003, 10:59:19 AM »

I'm a fan of pasta with any type of pesto based sauce.  Linguini with red clam sauce (Johnnie's in NYC has the best red clam sauce I've ever had) isn't bad.

Hey all. Yeah for recipe day. Although pasta is not my favorite (BK please note :) )

I have a question for anyone who has made red clam sauce. HOW DO YOU MAKE IT? I'd really like to know.

Ben

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2003, 11:02:07 AM »

I was just looking at the calendar. There are a plethora of birthdays approaching and since I will be errant and truant for a lot of December and around the Thanksgiving holiday as well, I'm going to make a blanket Happy Birthday wish to many HKs since I will possibly miss the celebrations (as I did with DR Jason's birthday), so here goes:

[size=9]HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO:[/size]

DivaRobbie whose birthday (11/27) falls on Turkey Day as well. Happy Birthday

Jane whose birthday (12/7) falls on another dear friend's birthday. She's a nurse and she lives in Ann Arbor, MI. So Happy Birthday Jane and Alison

BK whose birthday (12/8) also falls on my brother's birthday (the one being sent to Iraq) so Happy Birthday to BK and Frank

MBarnum whose birthday falls on 12/10. It doesn't fall on anyone elses birthday that I know of but Happy Birthday to a Pulp Fiction King (or Queen, your choice  ;))

JB-NYC whose birthday falls on 12/12. Again, it doesn't fall on anyone elses birthday that I know, but it's alliterative (kind of). Happy Birthday

Tom from Oz whose birthday falls on 12/14. If it was February it would be Valentines Day but it's not, it's Tom's birthday. Happy Birthday to our favorite Man from Down Under

William F. Orr (first it was TFO, now it's WFO) who is a pre-Christmas present to his friends at HHW. His birthday is 12/23. Even though I haven't needed it, thanks for all your help to the students who needed your math tutoring. And may 2004 be better for you. May the Karma King smile on You and Joe. Happy Birthday

Maya whose birthday is 12/29. She becomes legal in all states on this date folks, so watch out! Happy Birthday Maya

And those are your calendar reminders for today, November 24, 2003      ::)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 12:13:53 PM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2003, 11:05:56 AM »

Does anyone go out and brave the stores on the Friday after Thanksgiving? I've done it once in my life when Best Buy was offering the collector's edition of APOLLO 13 for some insane price, but you had to get it before noon. I got there about 9 o'clock in the morning, and it took more an hour in the checkout line to get the items I bought paid for.

Never again!

This is one tradition that I wish we had here in Canada. We miss out on your biggest shopping day of the year.

But we make up for it with our own biggest shopping day of the year, Boxing Day, December 26th.  It always cracks me up that the day AFTER Christmas could be the biggest shopping day. But it is such a tradition. I love it.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2003, 11:16:15 AM »

I usually wait for a couple of days after Christmas before I head to either Barnes and Noble or Borders to get my daily desk calendars after they've been marked half off. Funny, but the Peanuts desk calendars are always sold out after Chrstmas but other ones (like WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE),  there are zillions of those left over.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2003, 11:17:00 AM »

Recipes, that's what we need.  It's funny, people want these topics and then those that want them never show up the day I do them.  

Shall I assume you are talking about me? :)

Well, you cannot blame someone for not posting recipes when they did not even know today was recipe day. For some reason I had a hard time getting to the second part of your notes. The computer just froze in transition for like 10 minutes!  So I am just now trying to catch up and I will post my favorite recipes shortly.

Are you happy now? :)

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2003, 11:18:39 AM »

I was thrilled to go to the mailbox a few minutes ago, and there was my boxed set of the second group of SHERLOCK HOLMES/Universal films. I know what I'll be doing this afternoon!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2003, 11:25:15 AM »

My favorite pasta recipe is this:

Cook pasta, open jar of sauce, heat jar of sauce, combine with pasta, eat.

That's it.

I have a recipe for Manicotti Crepes that I've never made (I got it from the former Rosie O'Donnell TV show website), but it just sounds really good.  I've posted it on a previous "Recipe Day," but that was in the pre-re-built HHW.  So here it is again, and if someone ever makes it (someday I will), let me know how it is:

MANICOTTI CREPES
Make Joann’s tomato sauce (below, or use your own), make filling then make the crepes. To assemble: In a roasting pan, add a layer of sauce. Take a crepe and fill with 2 tablespoons filling. Place a slice of mozzarella on top of filling and roll crepe. Place the crepe, seam side down, in the roasting pan. Repeat until all crepes are used and pan is filled.  Add another layer of sauce and then another slice of cheese on top of each crepe. Bake for about 20 minutes.

CREPE INGREDIENTS:

6 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup water
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups of flour
Butter for frying

CREPE DIRECTIONS:

In large bowl mix first four ingredients. Add flour slowly and mix well. Let stand for 20 minutes. Melt butter in a small frying pan. Pour mix into pan, about the size of a silver dollar, and rotate pan to spread batter. Cook on both sides until desired doneness. (Makes approximately 24)

FILLING INGREDIENTS:

one 3 lb. Container of Ricotta cheese
2 lb. Mozzarella
1/2 cup grating cheese
fresh 1/4 cup parsley or 1 tsp. dried
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

FILLING DIRECTIONS:

Cut 48 slices of mozzarella and set aside. Grate remaining Mozzarella and mix into ricotta. Add grating cheese, parsley and garlic and mix well.

JOANN’S TOMATO SAUCE INGREDIENTS:

4 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
1 small onion (diced)
1/2 green pepper (finely chopped)
1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
1 carrot (finely chopped)
4 cloves garlic
1 cup wine (dry white – Joann uses Chablis)
1 large can whole plum tomatoes
2 large can crushed tomatoes
2 cups of water or stock
1/4-tsp. red pepper (ground)
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. thyme (ground)
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. sage (ground)
1 tbsp. basil (dried)
1 tbsp. parsley (dried) or 1/2 cup fresh chopped fine
1/2 cup hard cheese (Parmesan or Romano, your choice)

JOANN’S TOMATO SAUCE DIRECTIONS:

Add oil to pan. Sauté onion, green pepper and carrot till onion is translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Then deglaze pan with wine-scraping bottom of pan, simmer for about 1 minute to let alcohol cook off. Add 2 cans crushed tomatoes.

In large bowl, squeeze or chop whole plum tomatoes into small pieces. Add to sauce pot. Add water or stock. Add all herbs, seasonings and cheese and let simmer low for 1 hour (stirring and scraping bottom of pot every 15 minutes till done).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2003, 11:26:07 AM »

I usually wait for a couple of days after Christmas before I head to either Barnes and Noble or Borders to get my daily desk calendars after they've been marked half off. Funny, but the Peanuts desk calendars are always sold out after Chrstmas but other ones (like WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE),  there are zillions of those left over.

Yep here on December 26th all calendars are 50% off.

It's so bizarre. IT feels like it's much closer to Christmas than it. Cause I've already bought all the stuff that I send off in the mail. But I have nothing yet for anyone here!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2003, 11:30:28 AM »

I'm back!

The flu shot didn't happen because when we got to the clinic, it was totally packed and the wait was set for like an hour and a half.  My family and I just decided, noooo, we'll come back another time.  

Ron--You're totally right about me suggesting to my mom that she buy me ice cream!  Though these days, now that I'm bringing in some income of my own, I could always treat her too!

BK--Great review from Ken!   :D

Noel--What a sweet story!  *Hums Isn't It Romantic*

Ben--thanks for the early birthday wishes!  Very, very sweet of you!

I have such a yen for ice cream right now.  And if I have a yen for ice cream, does that mean I have a peso or a Euro or a Canadian dollar for ice cream too?  Ladies and gentlemen...this has been an exercise in Kimmelese.  
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 11:32:00 AM by Maya »

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2003, 11:30:31 AM »

I still have a few things yet to buy local friends, but my trip to Target tomorrow to pick up the new X-2 and CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG should finish up the gaps in my list. But I can't go until the afternoon since I will be recording and watching those Marples on TCM.

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2003, 11:31:39 AM »

I was thrilled to go to the mailbox a few minutes ago, and there was my boxed set of the second group of SHERLOCK HOLMES/Universal films. I know what I'll be doing this afternoon!

Cool! The titles in this second batch are all ones that I want to get! Please review them for us, will you!!

Ben

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2003, 11:35:39 AM »

Did anyone watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving last night? I've seen it before. I started to watch as I was riding our stationary bike, but it just doesn't work as well as the Christmas special. I started channel surfing at the commercial and never found my way back to it. Or the Winnie the Pooh Thanksgiving immediately following.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2003, 11:36:16 AM »

Even though I have watched it in syndication for over 30 years - there are Perry Mason episodes that come up, I have never seen.

I like the way they did that series.  It started out with a story featuring people we didn't know - and THEN they contacted Perry Mason or he got involved.  Now and then they stumbled on a case - but usually it was the other way around.

Unlike Jessica who found murder everywhere she went, Perry usually was retained by the innocent person.

Lots of location shooting, lots of cars, and lots of fashion....of course in the last years all the women wore wigs instead of being coiffed, but that was a small distraction.

I love Raymond Burr as Perry Mason....does anyone else have any favorite episodes?  Mine is of course, The Case of the Bogus Books!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2003, 11:37:09 AM »

Surely you gourmonds have more pasta recipes.  We need a good carbonara, a good alfredo, a good marinara, and if I get to it I'll reprint my recipe for my famous Wacky Noodles, which everyone seems to think SOUNDS awful until they actually try it - then they become addicted.  Yes, Virginia, they become addicted and have a wacky noodle on their back.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2003, 11:37:54 AM »

Was the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special one of the new ones (new meaning 1980s 0r 90s)? I don't recall if I had ever seen it.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2003, 11:38:02 AM »

Ha ha George. That is funny. Open jar. Cook pasta.

That crepe thing sounds interesting. Although usually with pasta, I like being lazy. I'll bet it would take a long time to cook the crepes. But tell us how it is if you try it.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2003, 11:40:07 AM »

I remember HE AND SHE fondly, which also starred Jack Cassidy, one of my favourite actors...very funny.

One of the bits I remember was a guy named O'Brien or something being introduced to a guy whose last name was Mouse.  The exchange went something like this:

Mouse:  O'Brien, that's an Irish name, isn't it?

O'Brien:  Mouse, that's a Disney name, isn't it?

It actually got a brief revival a few years back, I believe on Nickalodeon.  

My absolute favourite pasta recipe would have to be for a four-way of Cincinnati Chili.  Cincinnati Chili is a thing of joy unto itself and can only be found in Cincinnati and environs.  It is a Greek concoction and is delicious.  It's often poured over a smallish hot dog and sprinkled with onions and topped with a towering pile of grated cheese ( a mild cheddar).  This is called a Coney Island.

A Four-way is Cincinnati Chili pour over spaghetti with onions and, again, masses of cheese.   Culinary heaven and heart-burn.

There are other variations of this concoction.

A two-way is just chili and spaghetti.
A three-way is chili, cheese, and spaghetti.
A five-way is chili, cheese, onions, spaghetti, with kidney beans in the chili.

But I must caution!  True Cincy chili does not have beans in it!  Actually, as far as I'm concerned. Any true chili should not have beans in it!

There are many variations on the actual recipe itself, but all still have that very distinct taste.  Denizens of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky all have their favourite chili parlors where this is produced.  Some think Empress chili is the best, some think Skyline, some think Gold Star (both Gold Star and Skyline are chains...I prefer Gold Star...just because there seem to be more of them readily accessible, but there's not that much difference really), but the very best for my money is Dixie Chili in Newport, Kentucky, just across the Ohio from Cincy.  Great Coneys and 4-ways.

There was for a brief time about a year and two ago, an actual Cincy chili parlor out in Van Nuys, CA.  It was very good, made by a cook who grew up in Cincy and had worked for Skyline.  He was a great cook, but a lousy businessman.  Unfortunately, despite a very devoted but small clientele of mostly former Ohioans, he couldn't stay afloat.

Here's a recipe I've got for it:

2 to 2 and half lbs. of beef
1tsb. olive oil
1 and half tsp. ground cinnamon
2tsp. ground cumin
3tbsp. chili powder
one half tsp. crushed red pepper
1tsp. ground allspice
1tbsp. salt
1 medium onion chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 12oz. can tomato paste
1 15-oz. cans of tomato sauce
4 cups water
2 tbsp. vinegar
2tsp Worchestershire sauce
4 bay leaves
10z. block unsweetened baking chocolate
half tsp. ground cayenne peppers

Add olive oil to a large (4-6) quart pot over medium heat. Add first 10 ingredients.  Stir until meat slightly browned.  Add remaining ingredients.  Bring to boil, then simmer for 1 and half to 2 hours.  Stir occasionally.  Serves 6-8.  Serve with cheese, raw onion, over spaghetti or hot dogs (this recipe is a hybrid of several local versions)

As I say, these recipes vary from person to person.  One can also buy cans or fixings from the various restaurants in Cincy.  I brought a half dozen home from my last trip.  Some say it's the chocolate and the cinnamon that give it its distinction.  I don't know, but it sure is good stuff! Yum!

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2003, 11:40:20 AM »

I'll be glad to offer opinions on the films. I'm off now to see THE PEARL OF DEATH (first in the package). Be back later with a critique.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2003, 11:42:53 AM »

I, too, like Perry Mason.  Seeing it always makes me feel like I'm home from school - sick, playing sick, or on vacation.  Remember when it was on TBS from 11:05 to 12:05, then on channel 4 from 12:00 to 1:00?  A double shot of Perry; it just doesn't get any better than that.

Don't recall any specific episodes offhand, but I do know I much prefer the ones with Lt. Trag (Ray Collins) and DA Hamilton "Burger Bits" Burger.  The later ones felt a bit flat to me, while the earlier ones had a great ensemble that set off sparks together.

MBarnum: The Charlie Brown Thanksgiving was done in the late '70s, I do believe.  I haven't seen it in a long time, but I always thought it was kind of cute and charming that a bunch of kids making their own Thaksgiving dinner would come up with toast, popcorn, and jelly beans.  The only things 8-year-olds know how to "cook!"  
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2003, 11:43:54 AM »

A CHARLIE BROWN THANKSGIVING was done in 1973. I don't think any of the CHARLIE BROWN specials work as well as the first four, the ones with the original voice cast: CHRISTMAS, GREAT PUMPKIN, ALL STARS, SO YOU'RE IN LOVE. Afterwards, they seem to be missing something.

Emily

« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2003, 11:44:43 AM »

Do you guys know that the Northern Sudanese are NOT ethnically homogenous?!?

The outrage!  The drama!

They have been lying to me all this time!  

WARNING: If there are more lulls here at HHW I will be forced to tell you more fascinating facts about 19th Century Sudan! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Lulu

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2003, 11:45:52 AM »

DR Charles Pogue: Actually, I believe with the proliferation of the Skyline Chili chain, you can now get Cincy Chili in many states.  But yeah...the overall experience is certainly more "authentic" if you're actually in Cincinnati. :)  

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2003, 11:45:58 AM »

DR JRand53, Bogus Books is my favorite episode too...of course you and I know why! LOL!

Some of my other favorite episodes are Case of the Madcap Modiste with guest stars Leslie Parrish and Dorothy Neumann, Case of the Ancient Romeo with Rex Reason, and Case of the Laughing Clown with Gloria Talbott.

Oddly enough I was trying to transfer my tape of Bogus Books to DVD but the sound sync kept getting out of whack. I am trying to get all of Allison's episodes transferred to DVD for us, JRand53...but it ain't working!  >:(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2003, 11:46:24 AM »

I loved Perry Mason when it was originally on - then in the late 60s they began rerunning all of them and I never missed it.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2003, 11:47:54 AM »

PERRY MASON is great fun to watch, and it's amazing how many of the suspects ended up having wonderful careers in film and television.

However, to take up just a bit for Jessica Fletcher, I never felt PERRY MASON gave enough clues to be able to solve the murder mysteries. On MURDER SHE WROTE, the clues are all right there, and if you're paying close attention, you can solve it before Jessica. I don't think the MASON shows offer quite the same degree of fairness. It more often seemed like a wild guessing game to arrive at the identity of the killer before Mason revealed it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2003, 11:48:22 AM »

Thanks DR Ben.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2003, 11:50:37 AM »

Does anyone know if there is a book detailing a history of the TV series PERRY MASON with all the episode titles, etc. like they have with so many other shows? I'd love to have that book. Couldn't do without my LAW & ORDER book like that.

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2003, 11:52:23 AM »

they have run Perry Mason here on channel 12 (Portland) at noon weekdays for almost 35 years straight!

It would be nice if they would release those episodes on DVD at stores (you can currently get them through mail order where you get one disc a month...at that rate it would take years for me to get to the episodes that I want!!)

Lulu

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2003, 11:52:44 AM »

Both Perry Mason and Murder, She Wrote had credibility issues, fer sure.

With Murder She Wrote, you had to swallow the conceit that everywhere Jessica went, someone was murdered (and she never seemed to run out of relatives to be the prime suspect).  This woman obviously was the kiss of death!

With Perry Mason, since the guy was a criminal defense lawyer, it was at least a teensy bit more likely that he would continually bump up against murder cases.  But willing of suspension of disbelief was sometimes strained to the breaking point as every week, Perry tricked yet another murderer into an hysterical confession on the witness stand.

Still, if you like either (or both) of these shows, you just tacitly agree to overlook this stuff, sit back and enjoy the ride!

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2003, 11:54:12 AM »

Does anyone know if there is a book detailing a history of the TV series PERRY MASON with all the episode titles, etc. like they have with so many other shows? I'd love to have that book. Couldn't do without my LAW & ORDER book like that.

There is a book on Perry Mason TV show. I have it. Can't recall the title off hand, but am thinking the author is Steven Cox.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up