Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHOW MUST GO ON AND ON AND ON  (Read 21373 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE SHOW MUST GO ON AND ON AND ON
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2005, 08:12:26 AM »

John said Rowboat.  Mary said Sailboat.  So Sally just said Frigate.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2005, 08:12:44 AM »

Topic for the day:

Have you ever had a Tarot reading or other prognostic service?  How did you like it?  Was your practitioner accurate?

No, I've never had it done. However, many years ago when I was in graduate school, a friend gave me a set of Tarot cards and a book explaining how to deal them and read my own fortune. I had some fun with them for awhile.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2005, 08:14:05 AM »

I think I may watch WHERE EAGLES DARE.  I like the setting and all the noise and adventure.  Clint and Richard are a lot of fun to watch together, too.

I have never seen this movie, but it's my best friend John's favorite movie. I gave it to him on DVD for his birthday a year or so ago.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2005, 08:36:55 AM »

Topic for the day:

Have you ever had a Tarot reading or other prognostic service?  How did you like it?  Was your practitioner accurate?

Around 1978, the rather spacey girlfriend of a mutual friend of mine and DRGinny's invited me to Dayton Ohio to have her friend Ram do my astrological chart.  I woud spend the weekend with her and Greg, they were going to drop some acid in which I was free to participate (I didn't, I watched) after Ram read my horoscope.  I had to give him all my info: birth date, place, time of day, etc. about a week before the reading.  I still have the whole thing on audiotape somewhere.

He told me I was going to live on a coast, east or west he couldn't say, but I would live near the ocean, and I would be involved in recording and communications.  At that time, I thought I would be an actor or director, I didn't know if I'd ever get my act together to relocate to New York, and I never thought I'd spend 1984 to the present in and out of a recording studio!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2005, 08:43:25 AM »

Well, I need to get that laundry in the washing machine and alsostart prepping lunch.

WBBL.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2005, 08:58:38 AM »

Wow, the LACC benefit sounded swell! And all those celebs! I like Hugh O'Brian a lot! Had no idea he was involved. And I will always wonder if Sue England attended?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2005, 09:19:13 AM »

Interesting reading experience DR ELMORE.  DR MATT I hope you still have your cards somewhere.  And you should give WHERE EAGLES DARE a look, it's a lot of fun...and NO CGI.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2005, 09:35:11 AM »

Hugh O'Brian is still talking.

I got up at eight-thirty, and am trying to solidify the lyrics in Mr. Haines' addled brainpan.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2005, 09:35:11 AM »

I have a TOD question:  what's everyone reading these days?
I picked up a copy of The Annotated Wizard of Oz yesterday while we were shopping with the grandlads.  That, and I'm going through The City Tavern Cookbook (in anticipation of a Philly trip next month).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2005, 09:36:40 AM »

And the word of the day is: FRIGATE!
We should all learn to frogive and frigate.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2005, 09:44:49 AM »

My current favorite less-than-friendly word is "jerkhole."

It seems to say it all, doesn't it!?

:o

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2005, 10:11:44 AM »

Hello, everybody!

My name's Ron!

What's Yours-s-s-s-s-s?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2005, 10:12:05 AM »

If anyone is expecting an encore, he can frigateaboutit!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2005, 10:13:02 AM »

Many eons ago, der Brucer and I wrote a computer astrology program.

The challenge came from my days with the gay softball leagues.  The team that I was with had arranged for a booth at the Orange County Gay Pride Festival, and needed something to do as a fundraiser.  One teammate suggested something to do with astrology, another suggested computer dating, and a third suggested putting the two ideas together... and looked at der B and myself as the people who should do all the work.

Keep #3 in mind for later.

Der Brucer found an astrology computer program that was pretty rickety, and was able to hack into it and get it running at a fairly decent speed.  Meanwhile, I got some research going and was able to a) find a book that included the best matches for each astrological sign (that took care of the dating part on computer).

What we decided to try was a coding system: anyone who had the basic program run for them got a wristband made of yarn, which corresponded with their astrological sign.  They also received a list that told them which other wristbands to look for.  Believe it or not, this sold!  People at the fair spent the entire day looking for their matching bands.

But that wasn't good enough for us, oh no.  Der B, heading off on a business trip, asked me to dig up more data on each of the signs, and all of the rest of it, so that we could rewrite all the stuff re planetary aspects, houses, and such.  We could then sell this stuff at a higher price.  So I bought something like three or four books on the subject, compared the information, and wrote my own little blurbs for every planet placement, angle, and on and on.

When der B got back from his business trip, he plugged all the stuff I'd typed up into the program, and voila, we had our very own computer astrology program.

The only problem was, we had a very slow printer.

The solution was, der B bought new, second printer.  He hooked up both the old printer and the new one to the computer; if anyone bought the big, full printout, we sent that to the new printer; the old printer was fast enough for the Astro-Match stuff (which is what we called the dating stuff).

The whole thing was a hit, enough that when the opportunity came up to re-present the thing at the next gay pride fest, in Long Beach the following spring, we did exactly that, where it was once again a success.  Der B even got the program to run faster, so we didn't have the long waits for everything to print out.  We did run into a glitch with the aforementioned #3, who claimed that the program was partly his, because it was "his idea."  I've rarely had as much pleasure telling someone to pound sand as I did that time.

It's too bad that we didn't remember the old rule, never play the same game three times running.  We tried the same thing later that year, at the West Hollywood Gay Pride Fest.  Wrong audience entirely, far too jaded.  The Saturday crowd was too easily bored, the Sunday post-parade crowd was only interested in getting beered up.

We put the program away, I got disinvolved with softball, and that was that.  A year later, at the next WeHo Fest, three other entrepeneurs had their own programs running, in competition with each other and not in support of any groups needing fundraising (der B and I always did this as a charitable thing).

So der B and I instead got involved with politics for the next decade or so.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2005, 10:20:08 AM »

I had a very productive day yesterday (for me, on a Saturday, that is).

I was up early, made a few posts here, a few posts there.

I then installed new towel racks and TP holder in my bathroom.

I had a pleasant chat with an east coast friend for -- oh-h-h -- a coupla hours, I think.  I then listened to a coupla CDs.  I called my mom and we chatted another 90 minutes or so.

And then I watched the Spielberg "War of the Worlds."  This time, it was even better than when I saw it in a theater.  I am simply amazed at the tension and terror Spielberg was able to create and sustain in this film.  Even the basement sequence with Tim Robbins, which many folks thought slowed the film to a standstill, worked for me this time because I felt I needed a breather...but Robbins was so intensely creepy that even the breather built tension.  And the arrival of the alien visitors to the basement elevated/heghtened everything.

My emotinal response was strong toward the end of the film.  I really cared about the characters.  I maintain my assertion that this is one of Tom Cruise's finest performances.  I am not a fan, at all, of Cruise "the celebrity."  You couldn't pay me to watch him on a talk show or to cross the street to see him walk down a sidewalk.  But the man can act when the material is right for him.

I meant to take a nap yesterday.  Oh, yes.  I was tired early in the afternoon.  But things kept going on and on.  And I had to watch the last quarter of Navy beating Army in college football.

So...anyway.

It's another day.  I am fighting a cold.  The sky is blue, the sun is bright, the air is crisp.

And I have five more working days this year.  

Count 'em FIVE.

My last day at work is next Friday.  

Then I fly to South Carolina on the 14th, returning here on the 29th.

I see "Lestat" on the 31st.

The year is just whizzing toward its inevitable conclusion.

And I'm simply NOT CAUGHT UP YET!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2005, 10:22:18 AM »

Oh, yeah!

GO COLTS!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2005, 10:23:58 AM »

I'll say it again:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS    GO COLTS[/move]

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 10:24:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2005, 10:24:10 AM »

Great story DR SWW....astrology - politics....same thing!  LOL

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2005, 10:27:20 AM »

Yesterday, der Grampa and I took the grandlads to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.  Mommy was with us.

It's amazing how wound-up she can get.  She was stressed out long before she got to the mall.  Fortunately, we weren't able to get tix for the next showing, as it was sold out, so I bought the tix for the showing after that, and sent her away to shop on her own for an hour.  Then we took the lads to a toy store, handing each of them a notepad and a pen so they could work on their lists for Santa.

They both enjoyed the film a great deal.  What we thought might be too intense for William didn't bother him that much, and Alex was riveted to the screen... except for all that girly stuff involving the ball.  I don't hold that against him.

Then we went shopping with the lads and Mommy.  She still hadn't wound down, almost screaming at them if they didn't behave as she wanted them to.  This was followed by dinner at a Texas-themed steakhouse.  Here she totally reversed herself: "Well, you can't expect kids their age to behave in a restaurant."

Love the kids.  Mommy is a pain.

Home late, which is why I didn't post then.

Glad BK's show went as well as it did.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2005, 10:27:48 AM »

Fingers crossed for the COLTS.  Thanks, DR RON.  This is the BEST season we have had since they arrived in the dark after bolting Baltimore.

We shall see what we shall see.  Of course while our schools, sewers, and neighborhoods are going to the dogs....we are financing a BIG new stadium for Mr. Irsay and his team to play in..."It IS needed...Indianapolis MUST have an NFL team....give us money."

I am still wondering where all the money went that was given to the Borns family to renovate Union Station in the mid-1990's....millions of tax dollars.  The Station thrived for one New Year's Eve and is now EMPTY and falling down.  Where are those millions?  In the pockets of the Borns family, I am sure.  AND NO ONE ASKS ANY QUESTIONS.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2005, 10:34:56 AM »

DR MATTH - the WHERE EAGLES DARE dvd is on EBAY from several sellers at pretty good prices.  But you can get a new one for not much more.  It is one of the WB cheap KeepCases, so there are no inserts to be missing.  And it IS enhanced for widescreen tv's.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2005, 10:46:27 AM »

DR RLP - thanks for your comments about War of the Worlds.  I didn't like ET at all, and Close Encounters was a disappointment to me.  I didn't know if I should try WOTW.  

Maybe I will, after reading your response.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2005, 10:47:35 AM »

DMBARNUM did you enjoy Aventurrera?  (Which was NOT the story of DR MS's journey to Florida)  ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 10:48:06 AM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2005, 10:48:59 AM »

DR RLP is seeing Lestat on New Year's Eve?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2005, 11:04:35 AM »

Off to the board meeting in a bit.  WBBL

Jason

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2005, 11:10:27 AM »

Happy snowy Sunday! It's finally winter in New York!!

I shall now do laundry and then spend the rest of the week sitting by the phone hoping my boss at the Met calls me to work this week....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2005, 12:01:15 PM »

All packed and ready - going to run out and do a little errand for five minutes.  Car arrives at one.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2005, 12:11:03 PM »

Have a good trip, BK.  Give Guy our best!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2005, 12:15:48 PM »

Der Brucer is busy fiddling with our television.  He bought a disc-recorder that can copy unprotected discs, and is making sure it works correctly.

Me, I think this makes for a good time to take a nap.

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2005, 12:22:04 PM »

DMBARNUM did you enjoy Aventurrera?  (Which was NOT the story of DR MS's journey to Florida)  ;D

It will be viewed this afternoon or evening!

I am going to a Christmas play at a co-workers church this afternoon, also...so I will watch the movie either before or after.

And did you enjoy TERROR BENEATH THE SEA?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up