Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHOW MUST GO ON AND ON AND ON  (Read 20207 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE SHOW MUST GO ON AND ON AND ON
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2005, 12:34:52 PM »

Got a lovely CD from Danise, which I presume is a photo CD of the NY hainsies/kimlets gathering.  

I shall now just await the car, pack up ye olde computer, and then be on my way to San Francisco.  As soon as I'm settled in the hotel and figure out how their confounded high speed Internet works (it's apparently free in the room, plus wireless in certain areas of the hotel), I shall be posting once again, prior to tonight's rehearsal.  Mr. Haines will be joining me there, and he told me he feels just like my performers in the LACC benefit, who showed up one night before the show to get their one rehearsal with the band.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2005, 01:11:53 PM »

I will ask my friend John if he'll loan me WHERE EAGLES DARE or better yet, watch it on his home theater setup (thatg I helped purchase and install). He's been saying he wanted to recalibrate some things on the TV anyway since he, wife, and kids have pushed some wrong buttons occasionally and gotten things away from where they were after I set them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2005, 01:18:27 PM »

Well, I had a pretty enjoyable afternoon with HALF A SIXPENCE. The movie looked wonderful, very colorful, sharp (with a few exceptions), and artifact free. And even though the sound was only Dolby Surround, it sounded lush and full.

I know the film was made in the era where studios were trying to catch THE SOUND OF MUSIC lightning in a bottle a sescond time, so all these overblown epic musicals were being churned out. I can see why CAMELOT, for example, would be huge in its movie version, but HALF A SIXPENCE? Blown up way too much for the slim story it was supporting.

And I wonder why director George Sidney occasionally filmed some of Tommy Steele's close-ups in soft focus. He wasn't old or wrinkled or any of the other reasons why some stars had directors use soft focus on them back in those days. And not every close-up of him was in soft focus. I found that distracting.

Nice to see Grover Dale is a great dancing part for him. But was his spoken part overdubbed by someone else? That speaking voice didn't seem to be coming from his mouth. Definitely sounded like a British actor had looped the dialog for him in a sound booth.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2005, 01:19:24 PM »

Also enjoyed the MONK Christmas episode. Nice little mystery which I didn't guess, so that's always fun to be fooled, and Monk was as funny as ever.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2005, 01:20:47 PM »

Right now, I'm dubbing HIT THE DECK onto a DVD from the laserdisc. Doesn't look like TCM is gong to be showing any of the musicals I wanted to dub over from TCM, so duping them from lasers is the next best thing.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2005, 01:21:23 PM »

My, it's lonely in here.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2005, 01:22:43 PM »

DR Ron, weren't you impressed with the DTS sound on WAR OF THE WORLDS? Apart from the genuine suspense and astounding visuals, the sound aspect really blew me away. I think that's the deepest bass I've ever heard on a DVD. I don't have a bass meter attached to my equipment, but I have a feeling it was off the scale on the low end.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2005, 01:23:32 PM »

I think I'll go back and revisit FRIENDS again when I go back down before network TV begins for me. The second disc will have the holiday themed episodes on it.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2005, 01:32:40 PM »

Decided to see THIRD another time.  The kind folks at Lincoln Center Theater's phone line said I could past-date my ticket for another day.  

FJL

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2005, 01:35:25 PM »

I think AVENTURA MAUL will be the name of the short violent musical about a line waiting for a single hotel internet station attacking the person who insists on using his full 30 minute maximum, despite three people waiting.

FJL

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2005, 01:38:07 PM »

Wow, in Danise's photo shoot of the NY trip, I look almost exactly like my mother, except that Mom's a lot thinner and would be smart enough not to allow a photo to be taken without doing the suck-in-your-neck-and-chins trick.

No wonder I got chosen to play Lucy in that all-boy CHARLIE BROWN.  :)

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2005, 01:56:23 PM »

Guess I'm going to head downstairs now and clean the guest bathroom followed by some FRIENDS and then network TV.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2005, 02:02:08 PM »

On location at the Burbank Airport.  I am so senile - I printed out my transportation info for San Fran and left it at home.  So, I tried to use the airport wireless, which is NOT free - had to get a day pass from TMobile.  How annoying.   Went online, retrieved the e-mail with the info, and wrote it down.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2005, 02:31:55 PM »

Topic for the day:

Have you ever had a Tarot reading or other prognostic service?  How did you like it?  Was your practitioner accurate?

Yes, a number of times.  Some have been accurate and some made me laugh because they were so far off.  There was a great palm reader in New Orleans who was uncannily correct even though I gave him no information about myself other than my first name.  I sent a friend who doesn't really go for that sort of thing to him and the friend came back in disbelief at how accurate he was.  

I like to do that sort of thing, but would never base a life decision on it.

When I was young I used to witch wells, not for a living mind you, it started as joking around, but I kept getting it right....that used to amaze people.  About 10 years ago my family decided to test me to see if I could still do it....I found the water main immediately.

Cillaliz

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2005, 02:36:42 PM »

Good travel vibes, bk....

Cillaliz

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2005, 02:37:47 PM »

I'm off to make the Sweet Potato Souffle recipe I found here a while back, was that DR Ron?

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2005, 03:27:24 PM »

Arrgh!  How do I know it's time to quit my holiday decorating for the day?  We have a lighted (faux) holly garland with which I festoon the stair rail.  Before starting the procedure, I tested the lights and then Richard and I tied the garland on the railing (using cinnamon dental floss - smells good!), added the decorative bows, and plugged in the lights.  You guessed it, they won't work.  So, I carefully removed the strand of lights, left the garland in place, and will deal with lighting it later.  

Time to quit and have some cream of tomato soup with Pepperidge Farm goldfish floating in it.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2005, 03:42:55 PM »

Well I made the terrible mistake of trying "just a couple" of these sudoku puzzles. 3 hours later I looked up and realized I hadn't gotten any of my plans done for the day ARG! So now I've wrapped some gifts and the souffle is in the oven.  If I can get my laundry done and get a little work done for the office, I'll be ok with it.....

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2005, 03:47:02 PM »

Great story DR SWW....astrology - politics....same thing!  LOL

Sometimes astrolgers say things worth hearing; politicians, on the other hand.....

derBrucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2005, 03:50:31 PM »

Der Brucer is busy fiddling with our television.  He bought a disc-recorder that can copy unprotected discs, and is making sure it works correctly.

Fiddling done - it all works with out a single "frigate" uttered.

der fiddling Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2005, 04:17:46 PM »

TRANSAMERICA is one of the best films I've seen this year.  Felicity Huffman is amazing, but the whole cast is quite excellent,  The credits go by too fast, so I didn't catch all the cast, but I will be seeing this film again.

I forgot to mention how great it was seeing Danny Burstein in the beginning of the film.

Now, back to the holiday concert.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 04:48:19 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2005, 04:58:05 PM »

According to the ever-trustful IMDB, the cast for Transamerica is as follows:

Felicity Huffman ....  Stanley 'Bree' Osbourne
Kevin Zegers ....  Toby Wilkins
Fionnula Flanagan ....  Elizabeth Osbourne
Graham Greene ....  Calvin Manygoats
Burt Young ....  Murray Osbourne
Elizabeth Peña ....  Margaret
Calpernia Addams ....  Texas Fiddle Player
Barbara Barron ....  Ms. Swallow
Paul Borghese ....  Precinct Officer
Jon Budinoff ....  Alex
Danny Burstein ....  Dr. Spikowsky
Venida Evans ....  Arletty
Bianca Leigh ....  Mary Ellen
Grant Monohon ....  Hitchhiker
Richard Poe ....  John
Carrie Preston ....  Sidney Osbourne
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2005, 05:02:50 PM »

While I'm at it, I'm surprised nobody looked up Wienerschitzel yesterday.  Not one of my favorite chains, frankly, since I always found it to be more of a gas station.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2005, 05:03:19 PM »

Putting up my feet after an incredibly busy day spent decorating and shopping and shopping and decorating.  Watching HOLIDAY INN on AMC.  Catch yas all later.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2005, 05:34:34 PM »

According to the ever-trustful IMDB, the cast for Transamerica is as follows:

Felicity Huffman ....  Stanley 'Bree' Osbourne
Kevin Zegers ....  Toby Wilkins
Fionnula Flanagan ....  Elizabeth Osbourne
Graham Greene ....  Calvin Manygoats
Burt Young ....  Murray Osbourne
Elizabeth Peña ....  Margaret
Calpernia Addams ....  Texas Fiddle Player
Barbara Barron ....  Ms. Swallow
Paul Borghese ....  Precinct Officer
Jon Budinoff ....  Alex
Danny Burstein ....  Dr. Spikowsky
Venida Evans ....  Arletty
Bianca Leigh ....  Mary Ellen
Grant Monohon ....  Hitchhiker
Richard Poe ....  John
Carrie Preston ....  Sidney Osbourne

Thanks, DRSWW!  There were more in the cast, but this is helpful.  Fionnula flanagan has some great scenes as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2005, 06:02:14 PM »

Evening folks!

Thank you all for the good wishes.  

I was awoke this morning (well, almost afternoon) by the sound of a fire truck going down the street.  For the first time in years, I missed waving to Santa Clause and I didn’t get to take his picture either.  Scum.   :(

I did get the tree up and the door decorated this afternoon.  It’s what they call a small table top tree but it is real.  It makes the room smell really good.  

I guess the holidays are well and truly upon us.  

It was nice to pull out the old ornament box.  Sometimes sad because (for what ever reason) some of them break.  I hold my breath sometimes hoping that a cherished piece made it though to one more year.

The thing I like about our tree is that it isn’t all bulbs on the tree.  We have lots of small toys, a bag of coal, birds, horses, a unicorn, a Pegasus, Reindeer, etc.  Where ever you look you see something different and fun.  

I have two small elves that have been with us ever since I can remember.  They are stuffed and getting a bit old and shabby but a Christmas tree (I can't foresee mine ever being called a Holiday tree), wouldn’t be a Christmas tree without them hidden safely within its branches.  They are the first things on the tree and the last ones off.  

I bought some of the new “icicles” and threw some “snow” on as finishing touches and the tree looks pretty nice.  

Vixmom, maybe someday I will make the trip up later in the year to see some real snow for myself.  Don’t be surprised if I walk off the plane and run back to go home.  I don’t do cold!  

JRand, your topic of the day about the cards, etc.  I’ve had them read a couple of times.  I had some interesting things told to me but none of them have come to pass.  And I didn’t really expect them to.   It’s great fun but that’s about it. Pity. I sometimes wonder what it would have been like to have thousands of people coming  for me.   ;) :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2005, 06:12:18 PM »

Now there's an idea for an ad hoc topic of the day - what do you say when you want to curse but can't due to the circumstances (in an office or there are kids around), or just want to say something nasty or inappropriate but can't for decorum purposes.

I at times find myself saying something like "sheece" (instead of the impolite word for excrement), which I've deluded myself into believing that people think I'm just saying "Jeez."  :)  

A few years ago, I saw a play called "Hapgood," where the title character (a woman) is the head of a British CIA or something like that.  Anyway, she has a 10 year old son and she doesn't want to swear in front of him (especially during his soccer [football] games), so she's taught herself to say "Sugar" instead of anything else (and she makes her employees abstain from swearing, too...they have to pay money if they swear in front of her ;)).  It was real funny to watch the actress in the production that I saw trying not to swear during her kid's game.  She was out there yelling SSSHHHHHHHUGAR!!  I have actually said that out loud when in the company of kids. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2005, 06:20:16 PM »

I'm off to make the Sweet Potato Souffle recipe I found here a while back, was that DR Ron?

Yes...yes it was.

Are you using sweet potatoes or yams?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2005, 06:23:28 PM »

Putting up my feet after an incredibly busy day spent decorating and shopping and shopping and decorating.  Watching HOLIDAY INN on AMC.  Catch yas all later.

I treated myself to "Holiday Inn" on DVD this afternoon.  IT had been a couple of years since I watched it (and it used to be an annual must-do).

My next holiday viewing will include "The Bishop's Wife" and either "White Christmas" or "Christmas in Connecticut."  And "Scrooged" and "Scrooge" will get a day, too.

Since TNT normally devotes a full day to "A Christmas Story" closer to "the day," I'll watch it on TV later.  

I loves me Christmas movies, I does.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2005, 06:29:56 PM »

JRand55:  It's all SO STRANGE to me that the Colts are in need of a new stadium.

I was living in Indianapolis when the Colts franchise was awarded to the city.  And I was there when all the brouhaha erupted in Baltimore as that city discovered their team had simply stolen away in the night without any fanfare or press coverage.

I am a Colts fan from way back.  I was very, very fortunate to have been in Baltimore the day they came back after winning the Super Bowl in 1971.  That city went WILD with GLEE (no rioting or property damage, either).

The Colts have actually NEVER had a season like they're having now, despite their past championships.  No team has EVER gone 12-0 in regular season play, to my knowledge.  Of course, when Miami went undefeated, they played only 11 season games, and won all the playoff games and the Super Bowl.

The San Francisco 49ers came close to a perfect season one year...a missed field goal was the difference.  Ditto the Chicago Bears...whose one loss in the mid-1980s Super Bowl season was to the Miami Dolphins who protected the record but had a pretty dismal season of their own.

I hope they go the entire season up to and including the Super Bowl undefeated.  It's their time in history and they deserve it, IMO.

I left Indianapolis in May 1984 and the stadium was not yet completed.  And now they need a NEW one??!!??!

Ohh, my aching bones....
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 06:32:34 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up