Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLURBS  (Read 28147 times)

Michael

Re:THE BLURBS
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2003, 08:30:56 PM »

Perhaps you should have checked the karma for other appreciation Michael! Some Gods are more subtle than others.

Thank you Tom. To tell you the truth I don't really pay that much attention to the Karma so it is hard for me to know if some uses it or not. But thanks again. I do appreciate.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2003, 08:34:56 PM »

I was wondering if anyone bought the new re-releas of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I did and was wondering what people thought of the transfer. I saw it over the weekend on tv. they must have cut out over 45 minutes of the film so it would run in a 2hr time slot with commercials. It was a travesty. There should be some kind of rule to butchering a film in that way especially when there is nothing that would need censoring.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #302 on: November 25, 2003, 08:36:15 PM »

Must admit I never know much about my own karma but for the generation of a great smile I tend to reward the poster.  I agree with BK. There is a good chance we will make 300. Thanks for that too Michael.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #303 on: November 25, 2003, 08:36:40 PM »

Holy moley on rye - there are twelve registered users and FOURTEEN guests perusing this here board.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #304 on: November 25, 2003, 08:41:36 PM »

DR Michael, I bought CHITTY today, but obviously have not had a chance to check out the transfer. It will probably be this weekend before I get anywhere near it. I got mine at Target (they had the best price I could find), and there were only 2 left when I got there. I have a feeling they didn't buy many of them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #305 on: November 25, 2003, 08:41:48 PM »

Must admit to never having seen "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". Maybe I will the London stage version next year. I di not ever catch up with "Pete's Dragon" either So much in live to catch up on. Worse things happen! It is already public knowledge that amongst the far too many Cds residing in this house there is not a Judy Garland or a Bette Midler. I think I am just saved by the number of Barbra's and Barbara's!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #306 on: November 25, 2003, 08:44:07 PM »

Well, Mark has accepted my very praising proposal. I am the future Mrs. Bakalor. I now have to invenst in some running shoes (thank Goddess I ran XC), as Maya is probably reading this and trucking on over to my house to kill me :).

And DR Emily has NOT sent me any Avenue Q, an I am NOT laughing so hard that I'm going into silent laugh mode where I'm dangerously close to falling off of my chair. Nope. Not I.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #307 on: November 25, 2003, 08:46:16 PM »

Must call it an early night tonight. I have to get up very early tomorrow for my semi-annual dental appointment (cleaning and x-rays tomorrow). See everyone here tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #308 on: November 25, 2003, 08:50:06 PM »

With so many guests perusing the board, it rather makes me feel like an animal on display in a zoo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #309 on: November 25, 2003, 08:52:37 PM »

It's the new zoo revue coming just for you.

Swishy, may I just say we are all devastated.  

I got the DVD of The Three Stooges in Orbit

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #310 on: November 25, 2003, 08:53:45 PM »

Speaking of Japanese art, how is Ann's paper going.  It's easy to do five pages, of course - just write VERY LARGE

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #311 on: November 25, 2003, 08:55:04 PM »

Speaking of Japanese art, here's the cover painting for a Nancy Drew book.  Even though it's of more recent vintage early eighties, I love it dearly.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #312 on: November 25, 2003, 08:59:38 PM »

Ok.. well I was trying to figure out a way to update Juliana's Journal and also have the most current entry about her big announcement but alas, there was just a few too too many entries inbetween.. so rather than try and get that done, I did the next best thing and posted her latest entry as a special announcement...

So.. it's up. Short and Sweet.  Look for the other entries coming extremely soon. Like some tomorrow. No. Really. I mean it!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #313 on: November 25, 2003, 09:04:08 PM »

Juliana thanks you - I thank you - the dear readers thank you.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #314 on: November 25, 2003, 09:06:35 PM »

I just get a box with a red X in it...

...and Bruce, why are you devastated? That I'm marrying Mark?

If we don't work out, I'll marry you :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #315 on: November 25, 2003, 09:07:39 PM »

Well, I just got home from Richmond/matinee/dinner/evening show, so... I'm not lurking, I'm reading... what a lovely - amazing- number of posts.. See you in about an hour ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #316 on: November 25, 2003, 09:07:45 PM »

Speaking of Japanese art, I just sauteed up about three ounces of chicken with onions, stuck it in a burrito (98% fat free, baby), put some cheese on it, a bit of sour cream and I can't tell you how delicious it was.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #317 on: November 25, 2003, 09:08:27 PM »

Speaking of Japanese art - Well, we KNOW it won't work out, so I'll be here waiting.

Laura II

« Reply #318 on: November 25, 2003, 09:10:25 PM »

Sarah: Sarah Shaw got sick in Myrtle Beach.

Good vibes to Andrea's neighbor!

I'm currently hanging out with my good friend, Meg, who is home from college. We went to Starbucks and came back to my house to play "old school" games like Guess Who, Life, 13, War, and Crazy Eights with my bro. She and my bro are vying for second place in Crazy Eights, which leaves me time to post.

Tomorrow I will be on my way to Philly for Thanksgiving and the weekend. I may be errant and truant until Monday. That said, I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving (or normal week, depending where you live :)). Have a happy and blessed holiday!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #319 on: November 25, 2003, 09:16:11 PM »

"Patrick Swayze will join the national touring company of Chicago next month as song-and-dance lawyer Billy Flynn"
I thought this was rather interesting...found it on the tvguide news section.  
Paper...well, I have a few paragraphs...which I'll probably erase and re-do...why does any topic instantly become boring the minute you have to write a paper on it?

MBarnum

« Reply #320 on: November 25, 2003, 09:24:41 PM »

Jason, here is hoping you get some good packages in the mail tomorrow! I hate waiting for something to arrive that it seems should have already arrived...that is when all the conspiracy theories start going through my mind! LOL!

And I will be awaiting your package in my mail very soon!  :D

Jason

« Reply #321 on: November 25, 2003, 09:31:55 PM »

Mr. MBarnum: You will be Christmas-music'ed out once you get the package I sent you. You're not just getting one disc...oh, no! You're getting FOUR CDs of some of the finest Christmas tuneage available! Enjoy!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #322 on: November 25, 2003, 09:47:33 PM »

I've a Thanksgiving wish - Please, don't glower!
But it grows out of jealousy
You see, I want my very own CYGOPP
To go to Scottish balls with me

Just a certain young gent of political power
(And I wonder where that power could be...
Gee, I hope when you're saying "My GOPP"
You don't mean the G.O.P.)

Now some may wonder why gop
Has gotten in my hair
There's something about There's Something About Mary...
But let's not go there

And one day as I'm driving up Gower
I would give up my hub caps for free
Make a mess of my ham on rye gop
Which I wouldn't share with my CYGOPP
For he'd let out a loud geshrai "Go-! P-
Lease don't sing me no tune called Why Why Go-? P-
Laying 1000 times in Miss Saigo-- P-
You!   Won't you be...
A certain young lady of promise in love with me."
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #323 on: November 25, 2003, 10:08:26 PM »

I was wondering if anyone bought the new re-releas of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I did and was wondering what people thought of the transfer. I saw it over the weekend on tv. they must have cut out over 45 minutes of the film so it would run in a 2hr time slot with commercials. It was a travesty. There should be some kind of rule to butchering a film in that way especially when there is nothing that would need censoring.

It's always about money.  They have to cut it down so that it will fit in a particular time slot AND be able to show enough commercials to keep up the TV station's profit margin...artistic integrity be damned.

I just bought the movie this evening ;D and am going to watch bits of it (it's too late to watch the whole thing) before I go to bed.  I think I'm getting a cold and I want to get to bed at a relatively early time (basically any time before 2:00 am is early for me).  I also bought some Dimetapp, so hopefully I can drug the cold out of me.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #324 on: November 25, 2003, 10:32:15 PM »

It was nice to be missed.  Thank you for the lovely “welcome backs”.
In case I can’t post tomorrow before I leave again, for those of you who will be celebrating, have a happy Thanksgiving.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #325 on: November 25, 2003, 10:32:46 PM »

Whew!!  That did take an hour to read all the posts!

I'll have to be brief and succint right now since I have an understudy rehearsal to run in 11 hours...

Good day.  Long day.  Got up at 7:00, and it felt like I really hadn't gone to bed.  I did hit the snooze alarm once, but I made sure I stayed up - I have this "nightmare" that I'd get up at 11:00 for a Noon matinee... and still be in Richmond... TWO HOURS AWAY!  I took care of some cleaning and sorting of stuff before leaving my apartment, and the drive up to DC was nice and uneventful.  I even made it in time to catch the ChuckWagon that pulls up to the theatre every day.  The guy who runs it, really has some wonderful food on/in it.  And he was in a "discount" mode today - got a nice platefull of penne with broccoli and a nicely-sized hamburger patty for only $4.00 - oh, and a wonderful tamale too!  Yes, I know, carb city...

The matinee went well.  Lots of school "kids".  We could kind of tell that they were told to "behave" at the theatre, and they were very quiet during the first act.  But come the second act, Arthur's and Guenevere's goodbye kiss got a few "oohs" and "ahhs".

In between shows, I hung out with some of the cast members, and actually ended up fixing one of their computers.  *It's scary just how much I do know about computers just from my own experience and trouble-shooting.  And dinner consisted of the rest of my wonderful meal from last night: lamb sausage, polenta, broccoletti and white beans with prosciutto.  YUM!!!!  And sooooo much garlic!

The second show went well too, and the sound department made some great strides with our monitor feeds in the pit.

Oh, and we had four(!) new players in the orchestra today.  They were originally called, but they were playing Bounce at the Kennedy Center, so now that that show is closed...  *And the cute drummer is back.   ;)

-Now I guess I'll find out if anyone in the show reads this board too.

So... I've read the posts... and finally tracked down Juliana's special announcement...

As for dangerous situations...  I've had a few close calls in my car.  One particularly scary occurence was during a freak snow/ice storm a few years ago.  The temperature nose-dived almost 20 degrees in a just under an hour.  I was going out to run an errand... And as I was driving back the way I came, the whole road was one big slick, it was covered in "black ice".  My tires - and no one else's - had any traction.  I even had trouble standing on my own two feet once I got of the car... after my car "hit" the curb.  No real damage, thankfully.  However, I had "stopped" just after going a small hill, and everytime I saw headlights coming over the hill.... YIKES!!  Cars were spinning left and right... And, thankfully, not one car crashed into another one.  It was particularly frightening when a fire truck came by and ended up doing three of four spins right down the street.  I eventually was able to get my car into a nearby parking lot and wait until the salt trucks came by.  Oh, and I had stopped at Taco Bell, so I had some food(?) with me too.

-So much for being brief and succint...

I'm sure I've been in other dangerous situations, but they elude my brain right now.

In other news...

Love the blurbs, bk.  MMm... I sense a special edition dust jacket with blurbs from H/Ks on it....

Well, I really do have to get some sleep.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #326 on: November 25, 2003, 10:34:09 PM »

For the curious - and there were so many of you NOT.
Yesterday's "Thanksgiving Day" was from "The Good old Bad Old Days" by Bricusse and Newley.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #327 on: November 25, 2003, 10:36:17 PM »

This is one of those "Is this for real?" items of the news.  I was perusing TVGuide.com (which is my wont) and they listed this item:

STRIKE THAT: An Indiana high school marching band has dropped Michael Jackson's "Thriller" from its songlist for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The band's director told the New York Times that in light of the child molestation allegations facing Jacko, the tune would not be "appropriate for the morals and the ideals and the sense of pride" the parade represents. Instead, the band will play "Smack My Bitch Up" by Prodigy.

Is it just me or doesn't it seem that "Smack My Bitch Up" would ALSO not be "appropriate for the morals and the ideals and the sense of pride" that the Macy's parade represents?  Or is the song a truly wholesome, family-appropriate song that when hearing/reading the title without knowing the entire lyric, might just SEEM inappropriate?  Does anyone know this "Smack..." song?  I don't, but it doesn't sound like anything that I would be interested in.

Well, on that note (H-sharp), I'm off to bed (and hopefully my cold will not get worse).  Night all!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 10:40:11 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #328 on: November 25, 2003, 10:36:49 PM »

And I thought being close up and personal with a mother Kangaroo (and Joey) was dangerous for you Jose! Photos!
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #329 on: November 25, 2003, 10:40:54 PM »

Dangerous, Tom?  No, this was dangerous....
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up