Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLURBS  (Read 27670 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BLURBS
« on: November 25, 2003, 12:12:12 AM »

Well, after those very long notes you know exactly what must be done.  Do what must be done now - you have many things to post about and I am anxious as all get out (and we all know how anxious get out is) to read your loads of lovely posts.  To it.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 12:14:37 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE BLURBS
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 12:18:08 AM »

Danger: Walking in to any classroom of "unknowns".
Car brakes failing (master cylindar jamming) as I was driving down a hill with a cross road at the bottom of that hill. Amazing how we can find religion suddenly. (This was 1970 and I remember it very well indeed)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 12:25:34 AM »

Most dangerous and as a consequence mostly blocked from memory was "escaping" this house 21 years ago as bush fires engulfed the properties around and houses exploded. We just wanted to get the dogs out of the area. Driving through black smoke and "feeling" the way along the road which was lit by spurts of flame crossing in front was somewhat scary. We drove (two cars) for about a mile to a safe clear area, not knowing if each other was safe until we arrived. Not a good memory. BTW, the house survived - many of those in the "village" did not.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 12:27:33 AM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 03:47:15 AM »

A very quick Good Morning all!  I'm late!  Have a good day, everyone!  Will read notes tonight when I get home!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 04:33:15 AM »

To quote a young lion in a Disney movie, "I LAUGH in the face of danger! Ha ha ha ha!"

I'm sitting here, trying to think of something dangerous that I've done, but I can't think of anything. Scary stuff has happened, but I don't think it really counts as dangerous.

Once, while walking home fom a friend's Halloween party (he lived on my street), a man followed me home. He stayed about 20 feet behind me, but he never slowed or stopped. If I sped up, so did he. Once I was IN the house, he stood out front for a while. I was terrified. My parents called the cops to report a creepy man in the area, but they never found anyone.

And what great news about Juliana! Where is the tour right now? I remember she had told me about going on as Millie in another city, but I know that's not for months. Super good-luck vibes to her!

Well, I'm of to get ready for school. I hope you all have nice days.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Michael

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 04:47:16 AM »

I was about to turn (legally) onto a one way street. What I didn't know there was a high speed car chase. I was able to stop in time but I will never forget the scared look of the driver as pass within inches of my car. (If I had been a foot or so further up he would have broadside my car) and if that was not bad enough the policemen in the car that was chasing him was also firing their guns at him. I am also convinced that I was inches away from being shot myself.

Coda to the story. They caught up to him about five minutes later and shot him to death.

Sounds like a page out of one of my mystery novels. But it was true. (Happened in Montreal)
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 05:06:16 AM »

Good danger or bad danger?

If it's good danger, then it would be skydiving (although as i've said, I felt less fear jumping out of an airplane than I do entering a party).

Bad danger?  Other than flukes with cars (catching on fire, failing brakes, etc.), I guess I'm oblivious to when I am in danger, and I only realize it afterwards (thank God).   Sure, there have  been plenty of bullies in my youth, and some guys even held a knife to my throat in high school, but I'm not counting that stuff.

I'll have to think on this one.  I need to go have my cereal now.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 05:06:51 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 05:30:49 AM »

As Kerry said, Good Danger or Bad Danger.

Good Danger would be snorkeling in over 12 feet of water in Key West this year. It's dangerous because, despite coming from the Land of 10,000 Lakes (Minnesota) I don't really swim very well. But we wanted to do this and it was great. I want to snorkel again in calmer and more shallow water.

Bad Danger would be the three muggings I survived during my 23 years in NYC. The first happened one week to the day after I moved here at 11am at 57th Street and Broadway. For those of you who know NY, you know that's usually a high traffic area. Well, not on that particular day. The second involved some thugs who decided to "beat up the fag" as I was walking home around 9pm one night in 1983. I luckily escaped with little damage, more psychological than anything. I'm so glad I can run. Track was the one sport in high school I could do without a problem. The third involved the most serious mugging when two extremely tall men jumped me at 7:30 in the morning as I was walking to work. Again, luckily, I survived with little physical harm. Rolling into a ball like a hedgehog and screaming seemed to save me from further harm, although they did break my glasses and hit me repeatedly. They never got my wallet because that side of me was on the sidewalk in a fetal position. They ran away, never to be caught. At least the policeman was sensitive and helpful, although I still find it annoying that at 7:30 in the morning on a major NY street no one would even call the police to report a crime in progress. There were people on the street who just walked by! I went to my office and called the police from there.

On a brighter note, Jason, I think George answered your question about Broadway, The Golden Years, near the end of yesterday's notes. I went to the site and watched all the trailers. You can do it on a dial-up connection, but it's much easier if you have high speed. The movie looks WONDERFUL. I can't wait until it comes out. I know someone on the production end and he said it was amazing to be involved in this project. They have entered it in some festivals and are still raising money, I believe, to help in distribution. Jack (the person I know) said that Sondheim was not really interested in speaking but agreed to talk for about 5 minutes. He ended up going on for a long, long time speaking eloquently about the difference between current Broadway and the "old days". There are also intereviews with Gwen Verdon and others who are no longer alive. It sounds wonderful (to repeat myself) and I'll be right there on line as soon as it's released in NY.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 05:58:56 AM »

Quiet morning here at HHW. I remember seeing Dan-in-Toronto here yesterday but he didn't post! Right now it's just Andrea and me. I must finish my report on my trip to Cleveland but I will be in and out all day looking for exciting things to talk about.

While it's technically not danger, I'm involved in an obnoxious dispute with my cable company, which is becoming more unpleasant as time passes. I thought perhaps it would be resolved yesterday but no such luck. I have indicated to them times in which they may contact me in an attempt to resolve the dispute so I may be speaking to them over my lunch hour. I hope that between 12 noon and 1pm today we can come to some resolution satisfactory to all parties (does that sound sufficiently lawyer-like?).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 05:59:12 AM by Ben »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 06:24:59 AM »

It should have been called VERA.  Never before have I seen an actress totally stop the show with such laughs and applause after every line of dialogue as the wonderful Marian Seldes.  She was a Vera like none I have ever seen.  Also stopping the show with just about every line was Swoosie Kurtz as Gooch.  They were the high points of an otherwise mixed AUNTIE MAME.

In the title role was "male actress" Charles Busch.  The more I see Mr. Busch the more I realize that in every role he plays he is basically the same.  This personna worked fine as Mame, but was less of a special treat than some of the others.

There was obviously a lot of problems with casting.  By the time the program was printed several announced names were no longer listed (notably Robert Sean Leonard and Olympia Dukakis) and from program printing to performance three more stars (Louis Zorich, Lucie Arnaz and Rosie O'Donnell) were gone.  Rosie was replaced as Nora by HHW's own Allison Frasier who was a delight.  The rest of the cast ranged from excellent (Sarah Uriate Berry, Charles Kimborough and Beth Howland as the Upsons, Douglas Sills as Lindsay, Rue McClanahan as Mother Burnside) to miscast but game (Anthony Edwards at Beau, Christopher Sieber as Patrick).  There must be better child actors in NY than T. J. Larke who played young Patrick, but I'm sure there are also worse ones too.  My only disappointment (although the audience loved him) was B J Wong as Ito who played it like he was Hirohito stuck working as a butler.

In watching, I realized that this is a textbook case of turning a book into a play and even more importantly a play into a musical.  Many lines of dialogue in the play ended up as lyrics in the musical.

It was a packed house and I hope it made a lot of money for BC/EFA.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 07:04:40 AM »

Does driving alone on Cicero Avenue in Chicago at night count as being dangerous?  How about LA?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 07:22:04 AM »

That is super news about Juliana! I hope Millie comes to Portland!! I would love to see it and see her!

Most dangerous moment: Hmmm. The only thing that I can think of right now was when I worked at the Bi-Mart pharmacy. A gentleman became agitated because we wouldn't give him his prescription for free. He came back a few minutes later with a rifle. Thankfully our security man tackled him and a the police were called. But it did shake us up a bit. I left retail shortly thereafter.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 07:49:44 AM »

I get up to eleven posts and one person perusing the board?  With such things to discuss in the notes as Juliana and blurbs and whatnot?  You want danger, baby, I'll give you danger.  Off to work shortly, and I would hope there will be some posts when I get there, oh, yes, I should hope there will be posts when I get there.

Emily

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 07:54:26 AM »

Good morning everyone!

Snaps to Julianna for the great news!  I guess she'll literally have to sing for her turkey supper on thursday! ;)

I am still knee deep into my Madhi paper but I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and know where my arguments are going.   It's just a matter of grinning and bearing the agony of 6 more pages...

I don't think I have ever been in a truly dangerous situation.  Of course, like Sarah (and Simba) I have a tendency to disregard the danger of something I am doing.  I especially like walking home from parties/nights out at ungodly hours by myself.  While I understand the danger that could be involved, I have never experienced it. I like being out alone on an empty street in the wee hours of the morning.  There's something very conducive to thinking in that.

Don't forget everyone that tonight is the American Idol Christmas Spectacular (8pm on FOX) with Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken and a special performance by CANADIAN IDOL Ryan Malcolm.   The Cdn Idol is so awful! I can not wait!  :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 07:55:05 AM »

BK - I have made the decision to buy myself Benjamin Kritzer for Christmas.  Save me one of those cds! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2003, 08:02:01 AM »

Am I the only person to notice that DR Paulie has finally managed to register at the new board?

Welcome back Paul! :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2003, 08:11:04 AM »

I have had several close calls in my life, but I'll write about the one that came to mind first. It started snowing during one day in February during the morning. The school district was fairly quick about calling off school,, but the school where I taught was not centrally located in the district, so we had to wait for buses to get there. I had a 37 mile commute to the north to get home, and I begged my principal to let someone sit with my class while I set off on a long, arduous drive in heavy snow and sleet. (We don't have much snow in the South as a rule so I'm not the most experienced driver in the stuff.) Anyway, the principal would not let me go, so I didn't get out of there until it had been snowing about two hours. I was driving probably 30 mph and staying well behind a truck in front of me when all of a sudden, he slammed on brakes and started to skid. I was trying not to panic but the truck was swerving all over the road, so I pushed down too hard on my brakes and started swerving off the road and faced going down about a 20 foot enbankment into a fairly large creek. I had no clue which direction to turn the steering wheel as I turned to the side heading over but somehow the combination of my turning the wheel and pumping the brake made me swerve the other way instead and go over into the median where I came to a stop. If I had gone down that embankment, I think I would have been killed because it was very steep and there was no guard rail. Makes me clammy just to write about it now.

Needless to say, when we went back to school, I told the principal what a near escape I had because he had not let me leave before the snow got too deep and the roads too treacherous.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2003, 08:13:00 AM »

BTW, I got the first two MISS MARPLE films on DVD with my recorder, but it malfunctioned during MURDER AHOY (I guess a defective DVD-R disc), so I'll have to be content with my tape of it until it comes around again. One more to go!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2003, 08:30:02 AM »

What lovely blurbs!  I love the word "whimsy!"

Enjoyed the pictures that Tom from OZ posted last night, of the small hole Baby Jane  :o  and the LP from Mr Roger Smith!  Also enjoyed reading about Jason's recitals.  Yes "Happiness" is a wonderful song to sing....and I also like the finale of SNOOPY!!! that is called "If Just One Person..." that is similar.  I staged it liked Jason describes, and had Woodstock using sign language to do the lyrics, and it was a sweet ending to a very funny show!

It is official my sister Molly, her husband Jason, and I will be going to Midnight Madness at Walmart.   So soon after the curtain comes down on Juliana's Millie, we will be heading out!

All of these stories about driving on snow and ice are scary....I try to avoid it if possible - which is why I have no vacation days left come summertime!  

Danger - like DR Kerry, parachuting, which I did on my 40th birthday.  Never again!  And a couple of close calls in the car.

But I guess - one evening driving home after a rehearsal on a two lane road - no center line no shoulders.....I saw the headlights of a car coming toward me...and they did something weird...and then didn't keep moving toward me.  As I slowed down and drove ahead, I reached the car and realized that the driver had somehow flipped his car over on the roof and was trapped inside.  I stopped, and I was scared....no way to get around him...and I couldn't leave him.  No cell phone and no house nearby.  In the next seconds another car drove up...and then another.  We sent the third car to call for help (not a cell phone among us then), and the second driver and I finally got the guy out of the car.  Gasoline was leaking out and I assumed it would go up in flames any second (it never did).  The police and ambulance arrived after about 12 minutes and the driver was more shaken up than anything.  But hearing him yell: "Help me...get me out of here...help...."  I will never forget it, and though he would have been fine...I guess the element of danger was there....  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2003, 08:35:50 AM »

Good morning all.
Why am I always running late in the mornings?
Dangerous situations...none come to mind right off the bat...unless you count survivng a 14-hour operation.  They kept me under for as long as humanly possible without causing damage. And they were cutting into my skull...so I guess that was fairly dangerous.  Lucky for me I was asleep for that part..

Post more later...bye!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2003, 08:49:57 AM »

Let's see...danger.  When I was a senior in college, I somehow bluffed my way out of a situation in which a guy with a knife decided he wanted the hubcaps off my 1964 Chevy Malibu SuperSport.  And I was damned if he was going to get them.  I saw several people "see" what was happening and giving us a "wide" berth as they went about their business.  Fortunately, one of the guy's friends walked up to him, took the knife from his hand and slapped the back of his head for being stupid in public.  Then he looked at me and said, "He's never cut anybody. He's just stupid."   I learned what "feeling contempt" means just afterward when a guy emerged from his car, walked over to me and said, "I was watching you closely and I'd have jumped out to help if he'd made a move."  That guy learned that day what a "contemptuous sneer" looks like!

Other than that, the only perceived danger in my life was when I was onboard USS Kitty Hawk in the Persian Gulf in January 1993 when the U.S. was launching strikes against Iraq when Saddam Hussein had violated the no-fly zones.  That went on for several weeks.  I had other things on my mind, though, like taking care of 18-20 international journalists on a daily basis...getting them to the flight deck for flight ops, setting up interviews with pilots and intelligence, getting their exposed film off the ship, getting them food and lodging and having their clothes cleaned for them.  I was a jack-of-all trades, averaged 4 hours of sleep a night for all three weeks.  When it was over, I slept for nearly two straight days.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 08:52:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2003, 08:51:41 AM »

I didn't know Roger Smith could sing! But then I didn't know that Dorothy Provine could sing either! LOL! I wonder if Mr. Van Williams did any singing? Which reminds me, tonight is Warner Bros. detective night on Goodlife network...77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6, and Hawaiian Eye! Woohoo!

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2003, 08:53:05 AM »

By the way I changed pulp novels in honor of our Perry Mason discussions yesterday!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2003, 08:53:57 AM »

Good morning!  I had a loverly sleepover at my friend's house last night, and now I am here to post til those bar-hopping cows come home.

I don't know if I've ever been in any really dangerous situations.  But I am sort of like Swishy and Emily I guess...I can be kind of impetuous and heedless.  Like when I lived in Brooklyn, I used to think nothing of taking the subway past midnight.  Then again, I lived in Brooklyn Heights so I wasn't TOO worried about bad things happening.  Now that I'm a little older and wiser (but not by much), I would probably think twice about doing that.

BK--Congrats on the wonderful blurbs!  Can't wait to read Kritzer Time!

Swishy--loved your sonnet from last night!  Very, very sweet...you definitely have a touch of the poet!

Andrea--In response to the pic of you and CYGOPP:  :o  

WEL--Thanks for the Auntie Mame report!  One of the reasons I miss New York so much...I have to miss events like THAT!

Congrats to Juliana and plenty of good vibeage!  I'm sure she will be faboo!

When is DR Paulie going to make his first post??

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2003, 08:58:20 AM »

Oh yes, nice picture of Andrea and THAT BOY!

DRMBarnum - the hoipolloi are demanding that you put your own mug back up!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2003, 09:02:16 AM »

WOO HOO!

I am absolutely smoking along on my paper.

I have written two FULL pages in under an hour.  That is positively absolutely insane!

Yippers! :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2003, 09:05:48 AM »

Danger?  Let me take a little time before I post on that.  You all know me and stories.

The blurbs, BK, are not just good ones; they read well!

Der Brucer is busy making lists of things he wants and wants us to do.  I'm adding to the list: a notepad he can stick in his pocket, because he left his in Long Beach and has been using mine!  (But it's so good to have him back.  That, and I'm already starting to feel the effects of the meds, which is good news in itself.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2003, 09:08:14 AM »

DR Emily: Don't stop, keep going on that paper!  Get it written as much as you can while you're on a roll!  Then set it aside for an hour or so and re-read and rewrite, so you'll ace the project.  Vibes!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2003, 09:09:03 AM »

ooh... now I have an original SWW story to look forward to!

Double Yippee!

(can you tell that I have drunk FOUR cups of coffee this morning?!) :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2003, 09:13:31 AM »

Well, at least S. Woody and Maya have mentioned the blurbs - better than a kick in the pants.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up